Free Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer DLC Coming Next Week

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Free Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer DLC Coming Next Week

The Resurgence DLC Pack will bring new maps, weapons, characters and more to multiplayer Mass Effect 3.

Maybe Electronic Arts feels bad about its recent selection as the worst company in America, or maybe it's not actually a gigantic clown car of jerks after all. Whatever the reason, the well-loaded Mass Effect 3: Resurgence Pack is coming next week and it's not going to cost a thing as long as you snag it within the next two years.

The Resurgence Pack will include two maps, Firebase Condor, a besieged outpost on one of Palaven's moons, and Firebase Hydra, an abandoned Quarian colony that now functions as a vital power facility. Six new unlockable characters are also in the mix, the Asari Justicar Adept, Krogan Battlemaster Vanguard, Batarian Soldier, Batarian Sentinel, Geth Engineer and Geth Infiltrator, along with three new weapons to keep them all looking sharp at parties: the Striker assault rifle, Kishock harpoon gun and Geth plasma SMG.

And what's a multiplayer DLC pack without something to throw your money at? Rounding out the Resurgence Pack are the Strength Enhancer, Targeting VI, Stabilization Module and Shield Power Cell consumables, each of which offers a specific single-mission ability bonus. The new consumables can be found alongside the old ones in "reinforcement packs" that are purchased with in-game credits.

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer is a lot of fun and more is always better, but I'm a little bit baffled by the time-limited nature of the offer. Free for the next two years? I get the idea of using giveaways to attract attention but "Hey, get this before spring 2014 or you'll miss out!" doesn't really drive a powerful sense of urgency. Whatever the reason, the Mass Effect 3 Resurgence Pack is only free until April 12, 2014, so you might want to... eh, take your time.

Wait, "The Truth" DLC was partially based in truth? 0.o I am genuinely suprised.

Also, how is "Asari Justicar" any different from the "Asari Adept/Asari Vanguard"? Eh, whatever. Tis free, so who cares!

Oh, you mean the The Truth rum---

Zen Toombs:
Wait, "The Truth" DLC was partially based in truth? 0.o I am genuinely suprised.

Goddamnit.

Well now I'll have to get a Gold sub. I want to play as a Geth.

I am torn between delight at the prospect of long range biotic head-butts and the cynical notion that EA/Bioware are in serious damage control mode.

Eh, free stuff is free stuff I guess.

Looking so awesome. The two Geth characters are definitely under the Need column for me and the fact that they are my two favourite classes anyway just makes it even better. The two new levels look great, especially Hydra. And, to top it all off, there's a freakin' harpoon gun.

Loop Stricken:
Oh, you mean the The Truth rum---

Zen Toombs:

Goddamnit.

Haha!

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about being able to finally play a Krogan Vanguard and as a Geth... anything.

EDIT: I also like the poke at the person who was raging about the "Director's Cut" having an experation date here:

Whatever the reason, the Mass Effect 3 Resurgence Pack is only free until April 12, 2014, so you might want to... eh, take your time.

Since it's turned out that I've played Mass Effect 3 far more in multi than in single player (because the only way it can end in horrible disappointment is getting disconnected in wave 11) this is super cool news.

I doubt Bioware's ability to fix the ending if they stick to their tune of "clarifying" the one that exists (protip: The fact that it's "unclear" and lacks closure is only a tiny fraction of what makes it complete bullshit), so it turns out that one of the great remaining companies to cater to the single player primarily has just made a game I only ever want to play multiplayer.

Zen Toombs:

Also, how is "Asari Justicar" any different from the "Asari Adept/Asari Vanguard"? Eh, whatever. Tis free, so who cares!

Asari Justicar get to show off the cleavage? I don't know man, I'm just going off what Mass Effect 2 taught me...

What?! A multi player add on pack that doesn't cost money from a major publisher?! What's going on with the world?

I thought Geth didn't intentionally Infiltrate.

Zen Toombs:

She seems more defensive based from the video. I'm positive I saw her cast Pull and I believe she also put up a large biotic barrier teammates could stand in like during the suicide mission in ME2.

Andy Chalk:
maybe it's not actually a gigantic clown car of jerks after all

... and maybe it is.

Maybe its a front for the CommuNazi Space Lizard Jew conspiracy.

Maybe incompetance tastes like ice cream.

Maybe it's all an illusion.

It's free because unlocking this stuff is based on pure chance, and they want you to spend real life money on those booster packs. If all of this stuff was unlocked instantly for everyone then it would be nice. This isn't free, it's just giving you more reasons to gamble.

I'm glad we finally get to play as Batarians and Geth, I guess they added those other classes because the Protheans are the only other species I can think of actually using biotics in a major way. Unless the Vorcha develop them... actually that'd be kinda cool. Anyway, I'm glad to get these, I'm kinda getting just a little bit close to being bored with the current maps. Who knows, maybe they'll add new enemies sometime too, I think the Collectors would be fun.

Asari Justicar sounds the best (to me, since I love using Biotics) but Geth and Batarians TOO?!

Gimme gimme.

I wonder if we have to run the risks with the boosters for the new characters and such or if it's unlocked right when you download the dlc... or maybe if it'll just unlock it's own booster kit thing to buy for however many credits.. guess we'll see soon enough...

so is anyone else really excited for the Batarians? They look freaking awesome.

Captcha: The all-new Chevy Sonic

I think subliminal advertising is in affect

Geth and Batarian? A map on the moon of Palaven? Plus... no. It couldn't be.
A Krogan Vanguard with Charge?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Fr]anc[is:
It's free because unlocking this stuff is based on pure chance, and they want you to spend real life money on those booster packs. If all of this stuff was unlocked instantly for everyone then it would be nice. This isn't free, it's just giving you more reasons to gamble.

Actually, I haven't bought a single one of those packs using MS points; I use the in-game credits I earn. And I've been unlocking additional species without a problem. Besides, if they were just given to you right off the bat, they would have to be underpowered to compensate. I don't want that. I've got no qualms with spending a bit of time to earn full-fledged Wrex and Legion-y goodness.

edgecult:
I wonder if we have to run the risks with the boosters for the new characters and such or if it's unlocked right when you download the dlc... or maybe if it'll just unlock it's own booster kit thing to buy for however many credits.. guess we'll see soon enough...

There was a post on the ME3 forums today from a bioware rep saying they are unlocked via packs and if the data mining leak pic from weeks ago is to believed they will be rare(gold) quality "cards".

Free? That's a shocker.

Zhukov:
I am torn between delight at the prospect of long range biotic head-butts and the cynical notion that EA/Bioware are in serious damage control mode.

Eh, free stuff is free stuff I guess.

This doesn't smell like damage control to me - releasing free multiplayer dlc a month after release, once the novelty has worn off, seems like a sound plan to keep people interested in the game. The weekly challenges have been good for that too, it's keeping things fresh.

And all of these classes look cool. Asari putting up a stationary barrier? Batarians? GETH? With AoE blasts? KROGAN VANGUARDS? Sniper Rifles that fire Harpoons, and you can use as a club? And it's free? Awesome.

Hm. While it may or may not have been intended as damage control, it'll certainly work as it.

And this is another way of EA to build a road for the overpriced DLC. Less than 2 years ago this would be considered just a regular update (except for Activision, but they were always idiots). Now it's a "free" DLC. The next one won't be.

Color me

Fuck it

I WANT IT NOW

RaNDM G:
Free? That's a shocker.

Not really. You don't want to fragment your customer base into players that have certain maps and players that do not.

The consumables are the monetisation here (you may recall a clip of Riccitello talking about microcharging for ammunition).

So it looks like that shot of all those characters we saw about a month ago was legit. Good stuff.

Seriously, I wanted to be a Krogan Vanguard since day 1!

BiH-Kira:
And this is another way of EA to build a road for the overpriced DLC. Less than 2 years ago this would be considered just a regular update (except for Activision, but they were always idiots). Now it's a "free" DLC. The next one won't be.

Don't see your point.

Unless they promise free DLC from the start they have no obligations to give away anything for free.

Honestly I can't remember any major dev besides Valve, CD Projekt and Tripwire giving away anything for free in the last two years

Krogan MANguard?
Yes.

Zhukov:

The multiplayer doesn't have legs as it is out of the box, this would be happening no matter how EA's reputation was doing.

toomuchnothing:

edgecult:

There was a post on the ME3 forums today from a bioware rep saying they are unlocked via packs and if the data mining leak pic from weeks ago is to believed they will be rare(gold) quality "cards".

I remember the pictures from before with them as gold rings. (I think all characters are no? At least all the ones I've got recently were gold items) Thank you for sharing as I don't actually wander ME3 Forums (I barely wander these forums as is >.>)

Free DLC, but not free MP...

My mind just blew up.

It's logical really as they have taken a few lessons from valve with TF2. As how the item drops work mean so long as keep adding content people are going to keep paying them to get a "edge." As on the me3 forums its quite staggering how much people have said they have paid for the packs,so it's well worth their investment to try keep the MP running as long as possible.

You had me at Asari Justicar...
I just got interested in multiplayer again.

MUST HAS NAO!!

I'm sorry, I seem to have fanboy'd out. That is beneath me, I apologize. I do still want the DLC, though, quite expediently.

I've never seen batarians this badass before.

Usually they're just the buttmonkeys of the Mass Effect universe, being scoped and dropped by Shepard's squad. Or just generally being snivelly fleshbags born and bred to store bullets. In their gut.

Or being electrocuted
Or being hit by plagues
Or being forced to poison themselves

(man its like Omega was just one giant batarian killing ground)

Huh, looks like that leak from awhile back was mostly true. No Prothean mission, character, or new enemy types, but a lot of it was correct. Doesn't mean that type of stuff won't show up later I guess.

This is really nice though. The Asari Justicar looks like she gets a big biotic bubble, though not sure how exactly it'll work or if teammates can shoot through it. Geth looks like it'll have some weird electric dome defense shield or something. But that Krogan Vanguard...MMMM. I usually play as a Vanguard so this just seems so...very nice. Also, can FINALLY try out a Batarian!

Also, anyone notice the armor colors the Batarian, Geth, and Asari Justicar are wearing? Red, Blue, and Green. That's actually quite funny Bioware. I approve. Lol.

Dear god, you just hit the nail on the head.

I find it kind of hilariosu the only mulipalyer game Ive ever liked/stuck with is ME3

Im actually excited for this?...god whats wrong with me

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or