Firefall's Story Trailer Rips Heart Strings

Firefall's Story Trailer Rips Heart Strings

Would you choose to sacrifice your family or 1.2 million people?

We've heard a lot about Firefall over the last year. It's bringing AAA quality gameplay and art assets to free to play. It is a fun shooter in the vein of Tribes with a focus on jetpacks action. But so far Red 5 studios has been pretty tight-lipped on the story framing the MMO. At PAX East 2012, I was shown a cinematic that began to explain exactly what's going on in the future of Firefall and I was surprised at how it effective it was at eliciting emotion.

Humans have crafted the first vessel capable of light speeds with an engine running on an experimental new material and the race has created a massive ship called the Arclight to venture out into space. When the engines fire up for the first time, something goes wrong and the huge ship loses power. Admiral Nostromo knows his vessel will crash and barks at his crew to determine where on Earth the Arclight will crash. When they determine its his hometown of Fortaleza in Brazil, the Admiral comes up with a crazy plan to fire the boosters to hit Rio de Janeiro instead, killing way more people in the urban center. At the last second, he abandons his plan and a mother and young son watch the huge ship crash into their home, likely killing them.

That woman and boy? Those were Admiral Nostromo's family.

I've seen hundreds of game trailers and cinematics in my life. Some have been good enough to make me excited to play the game, while most have left me indifferent. I don't know if it is because of my kid, or because I was still groggy from a lack of sleep, or because I'm a big softy, but this piece from Firefall actually brought me to tears.

The consequences of Nostromo's actions will figure into the story quite a bit. "He's a really important character in the game," said lead designer Scott Youngblood. "You'll see a lot more of him as you progress through the story."

More than the shooting and the resource-mechanics and the pretty graphics, the story makes me interested in playing Firefall.

Well, that was thoroughly fucking depressing. It didn't bring me to tears but it sure as hell made me feel shitty when I imagined myself in the world as this happens.

First ship capable of light speeds, a.k.a everything science fiction lovers' and rocket scientists' everywhere have dreamed of: Fails to launch and kills thousands of people. Captain has a chance to spare his home/family, but kill more people in the process: Chooses to go with the "lesser evil" option, sparing millions of people but destroying his own home and family.

And then things go down shit creek from there.

Maybe I will check out Firefall...but then again, I like to think I learned my lesson after Dead Island happened.

Then again, this is free and since the captain is actually gonna play a role in the story, things could turn out pretty cool.

Wow... I was excited about the gameplay but... I wasn't expecting the story to be such a big part... This game keeps looking better and better.

Alternately:
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MO-oh wait, F2P, right. Sweet.

oh wow.. uh that trailer. . .wow is all i can say
that was really something . . i think i might check it out

Wow, that was impressive. I wonder what the external interference was. Some alien assholes who didn't want us to achieve FTL travel?

So who else just went and signed up for beta...?

Impressive trailer, but I wasn't emotionally affected. Like...at all. Shame.

Man, I am going to be so emotionally invested when that guy sends me to kill 20 space bugs for 500xp.

Looks... interesting...

dyre:
Wow, that was impressive. I wonder what the external interference was. Some alien assholes who didn't want us to achieve FTL travel?

According to The Wiki, the interference is called The Melding. The ship in the trailer makes hyperspace happen by folding space, only in this case it tore space instead, The Melding then came out of the rips, and followed the ship down to Earth.

No alien assholes, they goofed it.

The Melding itself is just a thing, however its effects do give rise to the main enemy of the story. Which is mutants by the way.

kman123:

Quite so, i didnt understand half of what was said until i actually read the article which may have had an effect on it. Otherwise it was a bit meh for me.

This is why you should always use experimental new technology away from major population centers (i.e. Earth).

Nice trailer, but I think it should have been done in reverse with some piano music.

gyro2death:

I did. Awhile back actually. Haven't heard any news since.

It was a pretty good trailer, but I still honestly can't see how this and the Dead Island trailer for instance are apparently all 'emotionally investing.'
If you want something that certainly does tug at the heartstrings a fair bit, why don't you go watch Schindlers List or something?

gigastar:
Looks... interesting...

dyre:

According to The Wiki, the interference is called The Melding. The ship in the trailer makes hyperspace happen by folding space, only in this case it tore space instead, The Melding then came out of the rips, and followed the ship down to Earth.

No alien assholes, they goofed it.

The Melding itself is just a thing, however its effects do give rise to the main enemy of the story. Which is mutants by the way.

Now that? That makes it sound like W40k but instead of success in traveling and expanding the stars, humanity failed and the Warp went all crazy for Earth itself. >.>

But seriously? That is a definitely depressing trailer. Made me interested, that's for sure.

It would be sadder if it weren't such ridiculous bullshit. Seriously, how many million square miles big is the planet Earth... and it just happens to crash _right on the commander's hometown_. That's some seriously contrived stuff right there.

Eh didn't really impress me. I guess I'm now desensitized to children and families dying too after ME3 and Dead Island. It felt sort of rushed and if it was slowed down and I knew what the hell they were shouting, I think I might have liked it a bit more. Bad trailer? No. But it isn't that good either.

Nevertheless, I look forward to the future of Firefall. The set-up sounds interesting.

EDIT: Now that Buretsu points it out, why didn't he crash somewhere else? Isn't Earth more water than land? Couldn't he just move slightly to the right? I'm sure it's explained in the random talking though >.>.

Lies, my heart strings are still fully intact.

I didn't get it. Then figured out that they were loosing control of some ship and had to choose which city to blow up... then it happened. And I was still confused.

Then I read the description below and it started to make more sense.

What game is this? I guess I missed the train on this one.

Well, thats an easy choice!

260k people plus my family or 1.2 million strangers?

Sorry ta say but 1.2 million strangers are about to get their entire world fucked. I mean, I am going to be dead, so I would rather fuck Rio over than my family.

Didnt really tug at my heartstrings though

Trailer brought to you by the makers of Dead Island.

For the background from what I understand:

The jump failed because the procedure it used (arcfolding) was unstable and caused a huge rift in space-time that they couldn't close. The Arclight crashed, but its integrity field and arc reactor remained intact, and the crew was revived by <contrived method for constantly reviving the player here>. The rift spilled out a huge cloud of death called The Melding, which covered pretty much the entire earth except for a few miles around the Arclight thanks to their reactors still running (so far as we know). That's where the game starts.

As to why he couldn't crash somewhere else: they had only a few seconds of thrusters on one side of the ship, they could fire them or not, that was the only choice.

Wait, what? It just so happens that the ship will crash into the exact city his family are in? Right then.

Unless there's something I'm missing, that's what I'd describe as contrived.

deth2munkies:
For the background from what I understand:

The jump failed because the procedure it used (arcfolding) was unstable and caused a huge rift in space-time that they couldn't close. The Arclight crashed, but its integrity field and arc reactor remained intact, and the crew was revived by <contrived method for constantly reviving the player here>. The rift spilled out a huge cloud of death called The Melding, which covered pretty much the entire earth except for a few miles around the Arclight thanks to their reactors still running (so far as we know). That's where the game starts.

As to why he couldn't crash somewhere else: they had only a few seconds of thrusters on one side of the ship, they could fire them or not, that was the only choice.

So...everyone on Earth is dead except for the people who were near the Arclight crash, most of which are dead?

Goddamn, that sucks. Maybe he should have crashed into Rio.

I dunno, I didn't feel sad at all...really...I just felt nauseated because that whole thing was so completely contrived.

It felt more hallow, than emotional.

Yes not the slightest bit of emotion involved.

If its going to be story driven, the overall story seems like it might be enjoyable. However I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to suffer terribly from being an MMO. Which by definition negates any joy to be had from playing it.

The Arclight looked a lot like Space Battleship Yamato to me, and Orestes Nostromo a lot like Captain Avatar. But Jesus, Orestes Nostromo? I hope he knows where the silver is buried and kills his mother.

I've never seen any trailer that made me this apathetic, it's like they knew trailer size restrictions, but instead of cutting out otherwise useless things, they just tried to shove it all together, cluttered would be a generous thing to call it.
Even if it wasn't an MMO I still wouldn't be interested, because this trailer is terrible, it does nothing to introduce me to the game world, the characters (aside from a name) it does nothing to tell me the games premise or what I have to look forward too, and it doesn't even tell me what genre the game is going to be, I only know that from outside sources.

I guess I gotta correct Greg on this one. You did not watch a "Story Trailer", but in fact (parts of) the intro cinematic to be of Firefall. At least that's what Kern called it. ;)

That said, given that I am in the beta, this was actually an amazing piece of cinematic.
We see the reason for the Melding in all form, the reason for the starting area to be around Southern America, the reason for the Chosen to appear, and major storyline characters.
I'm intrigued. It's an amazing intro, and I'm looking forward to seeing the story being deployed.

kman123:

Yeah, I mean, the ship comes out of a failed experiment and has no control over steering, only propulsion. They can only choose to fall in one out of two places.

Pick two places at random in a map. Did you pick two heavily populated cities, which are also their respective state capitals? Because that's exactly what happened here.

And then, one of the cities they are crashing on just happens to be where the captain's family lives. What are the odds that would happen? They are 50/50 that the city was even facing the right side of space when the experiment goes boom.

It's hard to have my heartstrings tugged when you're sending my disbelief suspension into outer space.

Nouw:
EDIT: Now that Buretsu points it out, why didn't he crash somewhere else? Isn't Earth more water than land? Couldn't he just move slightly to the right? I'm sure it's explained in the random talking though >.>.

The explanation is that the writers know jack diddly about orbital mechanics.

The Assassin Creed Brotherhood trailer is probably my favorite trailer. I watched that about fifty times. Every second of that was epic. This was alright, but not amazing.

FelixG:
Well, thats an easy choice!

260k people plus my family or 1.2 million strangers?

Sorry ta say but 1.2 million strangers are about to get their entire world fucked. I mean, I am going to be dead, so I would rather fuck Rio over than my family.

Didnt really tug at my heartstrings though

Glad that isn't you, since I live in Rio.

ok I watched that and got almost nothing from it
Maybe it was going by to fast. It really didn't grab me like it has some people in this thread. I guess there wasn't really enough time for me to care about the family, it just came off as a sidenote to me.

Dear people saying that this was depressing/people that got desensitized to depressing things:

VICTORY GUNDAM.

So every last member of the Shrike Team dies, the main character (who's 13) witnesses his mom's death, his childhood crush ends up with a complete psychotic breakdown and a blind beggar for the rest of her life, and most of the cast ends up dead.
THIS. FUCKING. SHOW.

gyro2death:

I did. Just 7 minutes ago after watching that trailer, actually.

Yep, I am looking forward to being a PC gamer now...

I like the idea of, "Super Space Ship crashes, tearing hole in fabric of space/time, pouring out evil monsters." I feel the main idea of the Admiral and the family was to give a character behind Nostromo since I have a feeling he's going to be the leader or whatnot for the players.

I agree that there is very little emotional investment. Maybe it's just because I'm a 21 college bachelor but I don't know this guy or his family. Maybe if they had some sort of cinematic before this one, showing the Admiral and his family with the Arclight in the background, explaining what it's for and who he is. Then we would at least know who he is and what he has to lose.

Also, I'm very interested in this game. Looks great, sounds great, and it's free, so if it's not great, I don't lose anything.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here