Creative License Makes For Gorgeous GlaDOS Cosplay

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Creative License Makes For Gorgeous GlaDOS Cosplay

How do you cosplay a character with no recognizable human features? Simple. You add some.

Yes, I realize fans have ascribed various physical human attributes to GlaDOS almost from the moment she was revealed in the original Portal, but the fact remains that the character is a hanging contraption cobbled together from gears, wires and space-age polymers. That's why it's so impressive that this GlaDOS cosplayer was able to humanize the malevolent AI, while retaining recognizable features of the original design. The overall effect is at once immediately reminiscent of Valve's creation and quite aesthetically pleasing.

Translation: Brittany (that's her name) looks gorgeous.

The image at top-right was captured by photographer Senen Llanos, but I highly recommend that you also have a look at Llanos' website, as well as this gallery on Brittany's blog. Though the costume may not be a perfect recreation of GlaDOS' metallic form, I kinda prefer this version. The creative license employed in the creation of this costume is very clever, and demonstrates a deep understanding of the character as well as the cosplayer's own creativity.

Source: Geekologie

Its a pretty nifty compromise, though she's... Just not sinister enough.

Still, that's a petty complaint for a design that clearly took a lot of care and effort.

I think I just became a technophile
Also Inb4 This is a Triumph...

Wow. Obvious statement is obvious: Cosplayers are awesome!

Also incredibly creative. It's interesting to think that someone like this can look at something as abstract as GLaDOS and make it into a costume like this.

Had they not pointed out this is supposed to be GlaDOS, I would've had no idea what they were going for. I guess the costume designer gets points for.. making a costume but I'm just not a fan. Sorry, nice try kids.

How is this news worthy though?

Well done! I wish I was that cool.... :(

DVS BSTrD:

That. Was. Awesome.

Toombs approves +4

This was a triumph. I'm making a note h--

DVS BSTrD:
This is a Triumph...

Oh...well...I'll just let myself out now.

Erana:
Its a pretty nifty compromise, though she's... Just not sinister enough.

I'm going to pretend that she has a hardcore tsundere personality and auto-tune.
A man can dream, can't he? :D

DVS BSTrD:
I think I just became a technophile

/shakefist
Cosplay has created fetishes for me, that I did not know existed =|
Cute girls can make anything cute and amazing no matter what it is.

totally heterosexual:

Better than rehashing endless rumours about the new consoles.

Love it! Great interpretation of Glados!

totally heterosexual:

IDRK personally. I saw either her or someone else with a cosplay that was exactly like this at NYCC 2011. If I could figure out a way to get my pictures off my 3DS i would have it uploaded too.

Amazing effort and love some of the details but I have to agree with Revjay that it just looks kind of silly.

.... She stuck a turret on her head. At least that wat it looks like.

This is not news. Don't put in the news section. That is all.

The Glados face was done correctly but the rest of it.......

White and black clothing does not automatically make it Portal related. I think its alright, bit too bland if you ask me. And Glados is a homicidal psychopath....not getting that vibe with this.

Costume is pretty good. But there's easily better costumes out there.

Can we at least be honest with each other and change the title to "Very hot chick dressed in okay GlaDOS costume"?

Also, why exactly is this in the news section?

I thought we were trying to move away from making some kind of special deal out of women being into gaming. Not make news articles out of it.

And yes, this post is largely hyperbolic.

I dunno if it was her poses, the costume or the models figure/hair but it all came off very...lady gaga to me :S

6SteW6:
I dunno if it was her poses, the costume or the models figure/hair but it all came off very...lady gaga to me :S

I agree, none of it reminds me of GLaDOS, the head was sort of well made, but the close up pictures shows how meh it really is.
The dress she's wearing doesn't look ANYTHING like GLaDOS and it doesn't look like anything special in the slightest.

edit

weird. i was expecting her to be bound and gagged.

Hagi:

Also, why exactly is this in the news section?

Truly. Pointless articles like this are diluting the dominance of the Mass Effect articles. We demand more Mass Effect articles. Also podcasts.

Earnest Cavalli:
How do you cosplay a character with no recognizable human features?

Actually...

The lack of any real split-personality distinction (which with the half costume thing should be really easy) kinda ruins this. She is very pretty, and the photography is a little bit better than average.

That's why it's so impressive that this GlaDOS cosplayer was able to humanize the malevolent AI, while retaining recognizable features of the original design. The overall effect is at once immediately reminiscent of Valve's creation and quite aesthetically pleasing.

She stuck GlaDOS' face over her half of her own. I mean, kudos to her and all, it's certainly an above average cosplay, but... Well it's not so amazing that you need fawn over it like this.

Although to be fair, the only human GlaDOS I've ever liked is the one in this animated video:

Oh dear... yet another fetish to add to the pile... im turning into quite the varied pervert.

Who needs cake when you have her.

The cake is an irrelevant lie...

Honestly I find it pretty boring. I always thought it'd make an interesting story if Glados built herself a humanoid body and went on the run, maybe begin interfering with the Half-Life world more.

Would have been more interesting if sh dressed as potato GlaDOS.

Lumber Barber:

Earnest Cavalli:

Actually...

So Glados is into bondage...that explains so much

Nifty. Well done her. This is why cosplay is fun.

Reminds me of the Borg.

im sorry. but gluing glados's head to the right side of your face does not make is a glados costume.

If you look in the "Planned" section of her other costumes, she also has a Companion Cube-themed one coming (I say "themed" because it doesn't seem to me like she's going to just make a big cardboard cube to walk around in; it'll be more "in the spirit" of the cube than a literal representation, like GLaDOS here).

Personally, I'm more looking forward to the Weeping Angel costume though...

Lumber Barber:

Earnest Cavalli:

Actually...

Exactly! I'm not disappointed in any one person for not knowing this because it's not immediately obvious, but I'm disappointed in you as a group for only one person having pointed this out.

This isn't just a fan idea; this is from Portal's in game commentary too. Here's the Wikia article:
http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Glados

I'm not all that upset, but I'm annoyed that people don't realize GlaDOS was already somewhat humanoid.

Also, like what some others said, the costume is perfectly nice but nothing amazing. In person I'd certainly be very impressed if someone wore this costume, but the standards are a bit higher in this context.

pdgeorge:

6SteW6:

I agree, none of it reminds me of GLaDOS, the head was sort of well made, but the close up pictures shows how meh it really is.
The dress she's wearing doesn't look ANYTHING like GLaDOS and it doesn't look like anything special in the slightest.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Apparently, If I dress up in blue and red, and put a metal plate in front of my mouth, I have built an Optimus Prime costume.

I won't deny she looks a lot better than me, though. It's just that the costume is kinda... lazy? Lazy might be the correct word.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here