Five Charged After Kid Sells Kidney to Buy an iPad

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Five Charged After Kid Sells Kidney to Buy an iPad

A 17-year-old is now suffering from renal failure after selling one of his kidneys for the equivalent of $3500.

The kid, identified only by his surname, Wang (previously identified as "Zheng"), spent his miniscule share of the $35,000 the sale of his kidney generated on a new iPad and iPhone. The rest of the money was split between the five cretins running the scam, two of which, including the surgeon who performed the operation, have been identified as employees of a provincial hospital in Yunnan province. The ringleader of the operation, He Wei, apparently set it up to help pay off his gambling debts. Several other suspects believed to be involved in the case are currently being investigated.

The organ traders were arrested after Wang's mother noticed her son's shiny new apple products and asked him where he'd got the money. Of course, if he hadn't given the game away by telling her there and then, the fact he probably began peeing and vomiting blood as his remaining kidney struggled to do the work of two probably would have. He's currently in hospital undergoing treatment for renal failure.

Though apparently banned in 2007, organ trading still presents a massive problem for China, particularly in its poorest regions. The country's older population has been quick to cast their wrinkly judgment on the younger generation, using Zheng's undeniably poor decision-making skills as "an extreme example of the rampant materialism of modern China."

Source: National Post

I remember this story, it was fucked up seeing as the 3rd gen is already out, stupid child.

I'm glad they are cracking down on this.

I feel sorry for the kid.

Is there any word on whether he will live or not? Or did he done goofed once and for all?

I mean, selling your kidney for an iPad is up there with the most stupid things you can do, but still. I'm a little pissed at the cunt that made the whole thing happen. Theres being a dumbass and then theres being a despicable pile of scum.

He owes money to gambling rings? Well, I wont say I hope it happens, but I wouldnt be sorry if the people he owes money to take his kidney to even the accounts.

This isn't funny ... But at the same time i find this unbelievable . I mean the kid is 17 . At that age , a person should at LEAST have the common sense NOT to do something like this . I mean , it's sad , but i can no longer be sympathetic to stupid people . It's not like the kid was attacked and robbed of his kidney . STUPIDITY is not an excuse .

*shakes head*. I love it when people misunderstand their bodies. Just because you CAN live on one kidney, doesn't mean you should and it doesn't mean you just go on living your life the same way. You lose a kidney you're in for serious doctor visits for the rest of your life.

I hope the kid pulls through. And I bet the scammers do to or else they could be looking at some form of murder charge.

Grey Carter:

A 17-year-old is now suffering from renal failure after selling one of his kidneys for the equivalent of $3500.

The kid, identified only by his surname, Wang (previously identified as "Zheng"), spent his miniscule share of the $35,000 the sale of his kidney generated on a new iPad and iPhone.

$3,500 or $35,000? $3,500 seems more likely, but...

I don't think there is anything I would volunteer an internal organ for. Certainly not an Apple product.

I'm disgusted that they actually did this.

Now see if China allowed him to have a younger sister, then he could have just sold her instead! Even though he would would have gotten as good a price, but he also wouldn't have had to split it.

Darwin award winner for sure.

Need to sell your organs to buy more iCrap? There's an app for that.

Kopikatsu:

Grey Carter:

The kid, identified only by his surname, Wang (previously identified as "Zheng"), spent his miniscule share of the $35,000 the sale of his kidney generated on a new iPad and iPhone.

The total sale was worth $35k, he got paid $3.5k.

Survival of the fittest....?

I'm sure i've seen something very similar to this a couple of years ago.

Grey Carter:

Kopikatsu:

Grey Carter:

Ah, my mistake.

I'm offering to form a new Charitable organization: "Give an Asian an Apple Product" (GAAP). Basically, we give them our old Ipods, Iphones, Ipads and Macbooks that we no longer use (But are still in good-decent quality), so they don't do stupid crud like this.

We just would need Apple's approval to do it...

OT: Stupid kid is stupid, but it shows the lengths of how much Chinese people want an Apple Product.

Crazy. Sounds like he had a bad kidney to begin with. A person can survive just fine on a single Kidney. But, he probably had a failing kidney in the first place and the other one was taking care of business. Shits crazy though. I just can't imagine anything being worth your health, but I am also an educated kind of fellah. I think the fact that he showed he would sell his organs will also prevent him from any hope of getting a transplant as well, unless they actually get his kidney back... which I doubt they could.

DVS BSTrD:
Now see if China allowed him to have a younger sister, then he could have just sold her instead! Even though he would would have gotten as good a price, but he also wouldn't have had to split it.

Slavery is not legal in China...

Shame all this happened. Just a damn shame. Plus, chances are there'll be a better version of his ipad/iphone in a few months.

So goes the life of an Apple customer.

aba1:

DVS BSTrD:

Slavery is not legal in China...

Neither is organ trading, apparently...

I'm partially sharing the opinion of the "Darwin award" crowd and partially sharing the one of the "Bloody organ traders" crowd.
Hope the five upstanding gents get executed. ^_^

Grey Carter:

Kopikatsu:

Grey Carter:

He got 10% for a split of 6? Boy needs to learn to barter...

OT: Don't care, idiot is an idiot, selling your organ for something so material won't garner any sympathy from me.

Foolish boy.

Well, he's certainly paying for his mistakes now. Bet he's kicking himself in that hospital.

I'm glad they got the culprits though. Now they won't lure in another foolish person.

krazykidd:
This isn't funny ... But at the same time i find this unbelievable . I mean the kid is 17 . At that age , a person should at LEAST have the common sense NOT to do something like this . I mean , it's sad , but i can no longer be sympathetic to stupid people . It's not like the kid was attacked and robbed of his kidney . STUPIDITY is not an excuse .

I dunno, 17 yr olds do a lot of stupid things, they aren't allowed to vote for a reason.

Lots of teens die in car crashes, for example.

thaluikhain:

krazykidd:

I dunno, 17 yr olds do a lot of stupid things, they aren't allowed to vote for a reason.

Lots of teens die in car crashes, for example.

. 17 y/o can't vote , but 18 can and i think 18 year old do even more stupid things because they are adults for the first time . Not much of a difference in maturity if you ask me . Hell the majority of 18-25 year olds can vote but don't ( and that's pretty stupide).

As for the car crashes , it's true , but that's less about being / doing something stupide ( like drinking and driving) but more about the fact teenagers feel they are invincible , and nothing could possible happen to them . But now with conciously deciding to give up your kidney , that's just not being able to put 2 and 2 together . Thank goodness they didn't ask for his heart .

Anyways . If he was 15 MAYBE 16 , i would chalk it up as foolish mistake . But at 17 i would think ( hope even) common sense would kick in somewhere . I mean selling your kidney? Really?

Grey Carter:
The country's older population has been quick to cast their wrinkly judgment on the younger generation, using Zheng's undeniably poor decision-making skills as "an extreme example of the rampant materialism of modern China."

To be fair, I've seen nothing come from China that depicts anything else.

<rubs temples>

Wow, I gotta say, running that scam sure took a lot of guts.

Mr.Mattress:
I'm offering to form a new Charitable organization: "Give an Asian an Apple Product" (GAAP). Basically, we give them our old Ipods, Iphones, Ipads and Macbooks that we no longer use (But are still in good-decent quality), so they don't do stupid crud like this.

OT: Stupid kid is stupid, but it shows the lengths of how much Chinese people want an Apple Product.

That didn't sound retarded and racist. At all.

?Surely you must be kidneying, how would this make their life liver-lier? Good thing he went bladdering to his mummy. shamefur dispray humanity... I blame the parents.

BreakfastMan:

*facepalm*
really?

Phisi:
?Surely you must be kidneying, how would this make their life liver-lier? Good thing he went bladdering to his mummy. shamefur dispray humanity... I blame the parents.

Now that was just bad. You should be ashamed.

Ix Rebound:

BreakfastMan:

*facepalm*
really?

Yes, really. Why do you ask, if I may dissect your mind? Do you not have the stones to take a joke?

seriously?
is an iPad THAT important?

Raiyan 1.0:

Mr.Mattress:

Well, sorry if it sounded Racist, but it's fact that a ton of people in China want Apple products, and yet there are only 3 stores, and there's a very large black market selling faux Ipods. You can't tell me that it wouldn't be nice to give them an Apple Product so that they don't resort to stupid crud like the kid here or buying an illegal one.

Really a kidney's worth that much?
*Looks at pocket knife...*
*Looks at Kidney...*
Hmm...<.<

Mr.Mattress:

Raiyan 1.0:

Mr.Mattress:

Well, sorry if it sounded Racist, but it's fact that a ton of people in China want Apple products, and yet there are only 3 stores, and there's a very large black market selling faux Ipods. You can't tell me that it wouldn't be nice to give them an Apple Product so that they don't resort to stupid crud like the kid here or buying an illegal one.

Yo do understand that Asia consists of more than China, right?

Raiyan 1.0:

Mr.Mattress:

Raiyan 1.0:

Yo do understand that Asia consists of more than China, right?

Yeah I know, but to be honest, I have no Idea how Apple stores are in other Asianic Countries. So maybe I should just say "Give a Chinese Guy an Apple Product".

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here