Kinect Star Wars Is Number One With a Bullet

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Kinect Star Wars Is Number One With a Bullet

The much-derided Kinect Star Wars has become the first Kinect-exclusive game to hit number one on the U.K. sales charts.

You might think, if you're fortunate enough to still be ignorant of such things, that Kinect Star Wars would let you pick up a rebel trooper by the throat and slowly throttle him, or swing your arms to chop off some dude's arm in a bar fight, or maybe do a kind of claw-like jazz-hands things to zap the pants off people with the Evil Electricity of the Dark Side. But no. What it's really about is going to Cloud City and shakin' it for Lando Calrissian, who's always looking for new talent.

The "I'm Han Solo" dancing video has been the target of much pointing-and-laughing on the internet but for all those people asking how LucasArts could do this to their beloved Star Wars, the answer is now at hand: despite all the outrage [and a Metacritic score of 55], Kinect Star Wars has just become the first Kinect-exclusive game to hit the top of the U.K. sales charts, knocking FIFA Street off the throne.

This week's list in full:

1. Kinect Star Wars
  2. FIFA Street
  3. Mass Effect 3
  4. FIFA 12
  5. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13
  6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  7. SSX
  8. Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
  9. Battlefield 3
  10. The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

It's admittedly not the strongest top ten ever and being bundled with an R2D2-themed special edition 360 presumably helped, but number one is number one no matter how you look at it and that has to be good for sales. Which is really what it all comes down to; "fans" may howl, but somebody's buying this stuff.

Source: GamesIndustry

This is why we can't have nice things.

Hope they're enjoying it at least.

Is this a joke? am I being trolled?

seriously I cant really tell,

Considering the demographic that the game was obviously targeted at, I'd be hard-pressed to say that the game doesn't deserve it.

Doesn't stop it from being a mar on the face of the franchise, but the younglings wouldn't know anything about that.

Sigh...to be fair it's not like it had much competition almost nothing new has came out for a few weeks.

DAMMIT ALL U.K.!

Qitz:
This is why we can't have nice things.

The only place Starwars characters are allowed to dance is Robot Chicken.

Yahtzee saw this coming! Darth Vader winning dance off with the force!

But now serious: It looks like the best thing EVER.

Say what you want about this game, it looks hilarious to play.

Just goes to show, star wars sells, no matter how bad I think it's getting. To be fair, it would be fun for kids who don't know what's going on lol

I've to say, the majority of the Star Wars fans are the worst. They buy any shit with 'Star Wars' slapped on it.

Edit: After seeing the Vader dance-off... I think I'll cut this some slack.

:)

I'm amazed that this thing even exists.

I can't help but to get the impression that Lucas has slipped into vengeful trolling mode...

...and still turns a profit... *sigh*

Lucas bet the devil that he could make a Star Wars product so bad it'd flop. He's losing. So far. ;)

To both Lucas for releasing this, and my fellow brits for buying it.

It looks like the type of game I'd buy a kinect for.

Star Wars is a Joke. This game merely takes that and runs with it. Pull the sticks out of your asses, people. It's a silly game for a silly franchise.

It's a game wit hDancing Boba Fett, If I had kinect I would sure as hell buy it.

Andy Chalk:
snip

I can't believe this thing sold. I guess it's true, once you slap Star Wars on anything it'll sell.

I had not seen that video yet. I now am crying with laughter.
Thank you. This has made my day so much better!

Money talks louder than anything else.

AND IT HAS BEEN HEARD! (*cries*)

This whole thing is an abortion I tell you.

TheKasp:
Yahtzee saw this coming! Darth Vader winning dance off with the force!

But now serious: It looks like the best thing EVER.

GOD DAMN IT! I LIKE DEADMAU5! Why did you have to ruin it for me by linking that >.>

Waaghpowa:

GOD DAMN IT! I LIKE DEADMAU5! Why did you have to ruin it for me by linking that >.>

Because *dramatic pause* this video is friggin awesome!

Since I saw episode 1 the first time after watching the originals (I watched episode 1 first, then the originals, then 1 again) Star Wars as a serious franchise was DEAD to me. This is actually a good way to end it. Duke it off on the dancefloor!

Soooo... Now the levels of stupid have officially reached critical mass. Can we just stop taking Star Wars seriously? Please, we should have done it a long time ago.

Scow2:
It looks like the type of game I'd buy a kinect for.

Star Wars is a Joke. This game merely takes that and runs with it. Pull the sticks out of your asses, people. It's a silly game for a silly franchise.

I agree. I don't see why fans have kicked up such a fuss with this game. Star Wars has always been a campy 'it's so bad it's good' kinda thing. I don't mean to sound horrid but it's true - the franchise is just a piece of pick up and throw away entertainment.

I certainly hope this isn't an omen to the upcoming casual games taking over the Kinect.

TheKasp:

Waaghpowa:

Because *dramatic pause* this video is friggin awesome!

Since I saw episode 1 the first time after watching the originals (I watched episode 1 first, then the originals, then 1 again) Star Wars as a serious franchise was DEAD to me. This is actually a good way to end it. Duke it off on the dancefloor!

Well at least I'll still have Star Trek.

This is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

There is a part of me that does not truly believe that this exists. I mean the idea is so stupid, how can it work. But then there it is top of the charts, well I'll just put this one down to not being in the target demographic and I hope those that bought the game are enjoying it.

Though I can see why those that really love Star Wars would have a hard time accepting this, if this was Commander Shepard with moves like "the reaper" or "the mass effect field", I would most likely be raging.

I don't get why fans are complaining about this, I mean, what's not funny about Vader bustin a move? I don't particularly like star wars, but I'd happily watch the cast of firefly do a little comical non-canon dance. Just go back to complaining about the prequels, they were worth marding about.

And afterall, it's only Star Wars, which has always been a little light hearted and cheesy. It's not like they did it to Schindler's list or something.

Ahem

Well it does have the words "Star Wars" slapped on it, coupled with the hype of the re-release of Ep1 its only natural that kids people will want their parents to buy it

You know what? Fuck it. If I owned kinect I would buy that...of course I would have to play when everyone else is gone and with the curtains tightly shut but regardless it looks fun. Yes it's incredibly stupid, it's meant to be stupid and I don't know why people are getting offended about it.

Oh come on people lighten up. I am a huge Star Wars fan and this done right hilarious and awesome. If I had a Kinect I would buy this in a heart beat. Seriously people take that lightsaber out of your butt-checks and just learn to enjoy some things.

Also it's really hard to take you guys seriously when you say "the series is dead!!!" every time something new comes out.

I still don't see the big deal with this *shrugs* guess I'll never understand.

publisher: well how goes the planned star wars kinect title?
developer: we have small problems. but i think with enough time we could come up with a solution.
publisher: time is money lad. what is the problem?
developer: the kinect doesn't interpret the players movement correctly...
publisher: well, can you move your lightsaber like this and use the force with gestures?
developer: no. the kinect doesnt respond that quickly.
publisher: well... can you make them dance.
developer: sorry. what?
publisher: can you make them dance like in dance central?
developer: i..i.. yes we could make them dance. but...
publisher: MAKE THEM DANCE!
developer: sorry but what does it have to do with star..
developer: ok, ok, ok. we will make them dance.
publisher: wait you agreed. MAKE THEM DANCE THE SAFETY DANCE!

This is why I hang onto my being half-French so much

edit: oh dear that video was worse than I expected

*sigh* Behold the first of - I suspect - many examples of games that exist solely to cash in on The Old Republic's success and stagnate the franchise further and further!

Lately, I've come to see Star Wars as the failing Greek economy and TOR as the German bailout which, despite being developed by drooling fan boys wanting nothing more than to wank off the films rather than evolving the IP, actually managed to just about salvage it from the stygian depths but unless developers take the opportunity to look at it critically and ask themselves how it can be improved - as opposed to how best to "capture the spirit of the films" (that makes me want to puke!) - then it will only end up sinking back down and TOR's success will have been for nought!

Better still, we should just draw the line once and for all at the rare high note that is TOR, finally giving Star Wars a dignified end but of course it's now too late for that isn't it? Let the stagnation continue!

Klonoa Prower:
Say what you want about this game, it looks hilarious to play.

I agree, If I had a kinect I would buy it just for the dance mode. Me and my friends would play the hell out of it.

Also, where is your avatar from. Longtime sonic fan and that seriously made me "awww" for a minute or two.

Just shows that UK gamers have no taste. The Star Wars atrocity, two soccer games, and a golf game in the top 5?

Of course, Star Wars dorks having no self control doesn't help matters. Oh it has Star Wars scribbled on it in Crayon somewhere? Better buy it and the stupid peripheral that's required to play it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here