BioWare "Falsely Advertised" Mass Effect 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

BioWare "Falsely Advertised" Mass Effect 3

The Better Business Bureau says that BioWare's promises for Mass Effect 3 do in fact constitute false advertising.

The brouhaha over the end of Mass Effect 3 is like nothing I've ever seen. Fans aren't just upset, they're seriously pissed off, and the staying power of their their nerd rage is almost beyond belief. Petitions and angry forum posts are par for the course, but an anger-fueled, $80,000 Child's Play drive? An FTC complaint? And in case that's not enough, now Majorie Stephens, the director of communications for the Better Business Bureau of Northern Indiana, has weighed in on the matter with an opinion that's certain to fan the flames even higher: All those complaints about false advertising are valid - technically speaking, anyway.

As Stephens explains on the Better Business Bureau blog, it comes down to a question of absolutes. The Mass Effect website promises, among other things, that "the decisions you make completely shape your experience and outcome," which as she notes does not leave a lot of room for interpretation. "There is no indecision in that statement. It is an absolute," she wrote. The problem is that based on the flood of virtually identical complaints, it's not actually true.

Stephens' proclamation carries no legal weight but it'll probably make a lot of aggrieved fans feel a little better about the whole thing, or at least give them some sense of validation. She also expressed hope that it might teach advertisers to take a little more care about promising the moon if they can't deliver. "The lesson to be learned here is companies should give careful consideration to how they word their advertisements," she continued. "Otherwise, there could be detrimental effects, especially in the era of social media and online forums."

"Detrimental effects" indeed. Even BioWare's late-to-the-game efforts to smooth the waters with the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut DLC that will "clarify" the ending seems to have only made things worse, as fans who want a "better" ending say that mere clarification isn't nearly enough, while those who hoped BioWare would stick to its guns are disappointed that it gave in to the howling. In other words, we can expect this fight to carry on for awhile yet, probably at least until sometime this summer, when the Extended Cut DLC comes out.

I know you report what gets views... but GOD DAMN, can we just drop the Mass Effect shit.

sorry for going off the handle but I am more than sick of hearing about this. I know I don't have to read it, but I do see it popping up every other thread made.

I'm calling it: Majorie Stephens is a Mass Effect fan.

Hey, someone in a position of power who DOESN'T think we are a bunch of whiny entitled douche bags! alright!

I hope all the people calling the FTC complainer a needless whiner feel whatever the opposite of vindicated may be.

But... but... but... artistic integrity! Would someone PLEASE think of the artistic integrity?!

This is going to be a fun thread to watch. I doubt these words are going to turn into action, but maybe it will go somewhere.

Still, it's going to be fun to enjoy the show.

Well, in a sea of opinions, at least one person has gave an unbiased, legal opinion.
Not that'll mean much to all those that say that everyone who complains is an entitled whiny cry baby faggot, who says "THIS IS THE REASON WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!"

I don't own ME3, so don't judge me. Just an opinion after all.

Well thank you, BBB.

Here's the thing, as I see it: We should not let companies get away with directly lying about the contents of their products. Period. Not for food, not for cars, and even not for video games.

People are even more angry about the Extended Cut DLC?

I was actually moderately pleased ._.

The bad ending is already out there, no point taking it all back now, the only thing worth doing is making it less bad.

Dangnabbit, just when I thought the Mass Effect stuff was winding down after the DLC announcement... Confound you government!

But in all serious, despite the fact that I was getting annoyed with the fan reactions and the hundreds of ME3 threads after a while, I am REALLY curious to see how Bioware and/or EA are going to respond to this, especially since they've appeared to have blown off most of the responses from people up until now.

I just want to point out that the Shepard Lives scene is part of the ending (provided that you did the right things).

Indoctrination theory is still possible.

i know i'm talking about different fanbases here and i know that the fans of ME are bigger in numbers, but why do i only hear complaining on ME3 when SFxTK did exactly the same and in my opinion much worse. they promised a feature, that would give you the ability to play with a friend on the couch the game co-op, what happened? it was only available on the ps3 version and there will be no patch to put it on the xbox 360 version or the pc version, that still has to come out. not getting a promised feature is in my eyes much worse then not getting a a promised fulfilled they make everything and does not ever really happen. after all, whatever you do, you are doing the same stuff as everyone else with sometimes a character switched or some different dialogue, never you are really playing different events.

with that out off the way, what do people hope that will happen now? you are already getting the extended cut DLC and hopefully they have listened for there next game. i do understand why people are frustrated with what happened, but some people are really taking it far.

Can't stop laughing, oh god hahaha

If this works, I also want to sue the makers of Dead Island for saying it was local co-op when it isn't. Dicks. Wouldn't have brought that otherwise.

Too bad Graham! I guess Greedo will be shooting first after all.
OH WAIT no he won't, because the situation with ME3 is NOTHING LIKE STAR WARS AT ALL!

In other news: False statement is False.

The only problem I see with the statement made by Bioware is the word "completely". The decisions you make in the three games do shape the experience and the outcome(not the ending exactly, but much of the rest of it). I think this all just comes down to one interprets the word "completely" and the BBB has succumb to the loads of e-mails to the point of making this more of a story than it really should be.

Jokes on the gamers! Now, we'll get the same exact ending to every fucking game. The safe, happy ending that nobody has grounds to complain about. Thank you, "retakers". Thank you for your entitled douchebaggery.

SomebodyNowhere:
The only problem I see with the statement made by Bioware is the word "completely". The decisions you make in the three games do shape the experience and the outcome(not the ending exactly, but much of the rest of it).

That was my thinking, the decisions you made effect the game all the way up to the ending. Including whether you reach the part where you pick your ending. AND THEN YOU PICK YOUR ENDING, WHICH IS A DECISION.

If people are going to pick at technicalities in wording, then they should acknowledge that you can't play a game (almost any game) without making many decisions that effect the entirety of said game.

SomebodyNowhere:
...outcome(not the ending...

Yeah, the whole ("ending" is distinct from "outcome") semantic argument may be the weakest defense I've seen bandied about.

dogstile:
If this works, I also want to sue the makers of Dead Island for saying it was local co-op when it isn't. Dicks. Wouldn't have brought that otherwise.

Doooo iiiiit! That's exactly the sort of thing that laws against false and misleading advertising are meant to stop.

blackdwarf:
i know i'm talking about different fanbases here and i know that the fans of ME are bigger in numbers, but why do i only hear complaining on ME3 when SFxTK did exactly the same and in my opinion much worse. they promised a feature, that would give you the ability to play with a friend on the couch the game co-op, what happened? it was only available on the ps3 version and there will be no patch to put it on the xbox 360 version or the pc version, that still has to come out.

This! This right here in bold needs to be more well known. They actually advertised this feature being in all the versions, but it wasent until after the game was released that everyone found out the sad truth.

Bioware just made an empty promise, Capcom strait up lied (maybe even tricked its audience). People should stop wasting time with this dumb case, drop it and sue Capcom who actully falsely advertised.

A bit off topic yes, but I fell gamers are pointing to the wrong developer and letting the other get away.

AnarchistAbe:
Jokes on the gamers! Now, we'll get the same exact ending to every fucking game. The safe, happy ending that nobody has grounds to complain about. Thank you, "retakers". Thank you for your entitled douchebaggery.

We don't want [i]happy[i/] endings per se, we want meaningful endings that make sense and are affected by choice.

SomebodyNowhere:
The only problem I see with the statement made by Bioware is the word "completely". The decisions you make in the three games do shape the experience and the outcome(not the ending exactly, but much of the rest of it). I think this all just comes down to one interprets the word "completely" and the BBB has succumb to the loads of e-mails to the point of making this more of a story than it really should be.

I "completely" agree. I'm using the word in the Bioware sense, by which I mean "not at all".

AnarchistAbe:

Don't worry, I'm YOU'LL always find something to complain about.

blackdwarf:
i know i'm talking about different fanbases here and i know that the fans of ME are bigger in numbers, but why do i only hear complaining on ME3 when SFxTK did exactly the same and in my opinion much worse. they promised a feature, that would give you the ability to play with a friend on the couch the game co-op, what happened? it was only available on the ps3 version and there will be no patch to put it on the xbox 360 version or the pc version, that still has to come out. not getting a promised feature is in my eyes much worse then not getting a a promised fulfilled they make everything and does not ever really happen. after all, whatever you do, you are doing the same stuff as everyone else with sometimes a character switched or some different dialogue, never you are really playing different events.

with that out off the way, what do people hope that will happen now? you are already getting the extended cut DLC and hopefully they have listened for there next game. i do understand why people are frustrated with what happened, but some people are really taking it far.

I guessing it's because people tend to get more attached to RPG characters and stories than they do with fighting games. Also with all the other Bullshit EA and Bioware pulled with ME3, this would be kinda the straw that broke the camel's back. I personally can't get very upset about the SFxTK deal because I don't play those games but I still think it's wrong.

DVS BSTrD:

AnarchistAbe:

Good one! Got any more? Please, let's hear them.

AnarchistAbe:
What you WANT is irrelevant. What you'll GET is companies playing it more safe than ever, to avoid getting sued by you whiny *insert derogatory expletive here*s.

Congratulations! You got what you wanted, though.

I wat'd.

If what I want is irrelevant and I'll get something else, then I didn't get what I wanted did I?

Logic.

Mass Effect 3 fiasco sticking around like a bad rash. I was hoping all fallout over this was over.

I think Bioware should just stop making RPG games and start making sport-sims and multiplayer FPSes. At least fans of those games are not as rage-filled as RPG ones, and are more grateful.
And it will bring them more money.

I understand that they could have done it better. I understand that everyone (including me) wanted to see the impact of their actions. But this is just ridiculous. Such ammount of rage and complaints is but a tantrum. Legal complaint? Are you kidding me?!

They [Bioware]have already said, that they, well, "feel us" (On this I trust Bioware); They have already stated that they are making an Extended cut DLC (which, I assure You, will be free: EA won't dare make us pay for it after the whole scandal).
What else do you want? You want them to buy your copies from you and replace it with the "right" ones for free? Maybe a fellatio from Ray Muzyka himself, just for the sake of it?

You played the game, you enjoyed it until the very end, which they will fix.
So stop it. Just stop it. This is literally crazy. It is as if litlle spoiled kid got a fresh, home-made chocolate cookle from his/her grandma, and saw a bit of raw dough on the side:
-UWWAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!!! This cookie is bad!!!!
-Honey, please calm down, grandma will fix it.
-No!You messed it up! I hate you!- screamed the child, while eating one cookie after another, for they were delicious, every single one of them. Exept for the one with the dough.

P.S. Quoting I don't remember who, but probably MovieBob: "You want Bioware to make with ME the same thing you hate George Lucas for doing with Star Wars."

GamesB2:

AnarchistAbe:
What you WANT is irrelevant. What you'll GET is companies playing it more safe than ever, to avoid getting sued by you whiny *insert derogatory expletive here*s.

Congratulations! You got what you wanted, though.

I wat'd.

If what I want is irrelevant and I'll get something else, then I didn't get what I wanted did I?

Logic.

This is one of those, "You won the battle, not the war" moments for gamers. Just wait. Call me a troll, write me off, whatever you want to do. But, just wait and see what publishers respond with.

AnarchistAbe:

GamesB2:

AnarchistAbe:

We don't want [i]happy[i/] endings per se, we want meaningful endings that make sense and are affected by choice.

Congratulations! You got what you wanted, though. That's all that really matters, right? This company, that you loved so much and created a series we all love, getting hit for false advertising because you all didn't like what happened. Congratulations!

No, they're getting sued for false advertising, not because the ending sucked (even though it did) but because the choices that you had at the ending achieved nothing. Hell, is it even possible to fail mass effect 3? If I rushed through the game and didn't collect war assets, picking the worst choices, I would still beat the reapers.

There wasn't meaningful choices. At all.

AnarchistAbe:

DVS BSTrD:

AnarchistAbe:

You want more?
Well what YOU want is irrelevant, because what YOU'LL get is me ignoring you from now on until you realize the irony of going on a massive bitching bender about how other people are going on a massive bitching bender.

Good day sir!

*ignored*

dogstile:
No, they're getting sued for false advertising, not because the ending sucked (even though it did) but because the choices that you had at the ending achieved nothing. Hell, is it even possible to fail mass effect 3? If I rushed through the game and didn't collect war assets, picking the worst choices, I would still beat the reapers.

There wasn't meaningful choices. At all.

Do you REALLY feel they deserved this? Games marketing ALWAYS promises more than the game could deliver. Why is Bioware being singled out?

DVS BSTrD:

AnarchistAbe:

DVS BSTrD:

You want more?
Well what YOU want is irrelevant, because what YOU'LL get is me ignoring you from now on until you realize the irony of going on a massive bitching bender about how other people are going on a massive bitching bender.

Good day sir!

*ignored*

The lulz train has officially left the station. Thanks for the laugh, bro. I needed that.

AnarchistAbe:
Do you REALLY feel they deserved this? Games marketing ALWAYS promises more than the game could deliver. Why is Bioware being singled out?

Because people really invested in the Mass Effect series, after completing Mass Effect 2 people went back through ME1 and ME2 to see how things changed.

Once they completed ME3 it didn't really seem like there was a point, I could spend 3 games alienating every possible ally and being a complete prick to all other races and the ending won't change in the slightest.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here