Capcom Unveils $1300 Resident Evil 6 Special Edition

Pages 1 2 NEXT

For $1300, Japanese fans of the series will be able to purchase Resident Evil 6 bundled with a replica of protagonist Leon's coat.

I sometimes think about what I'd buy with $1300. A giant TV, perhaps? Some new clothes? A bookcase? Oh, I know! A plane ticket to Japan! I've always wanted to take a vacation there. And while I'm there, according to developer Capcom, I could take a few minutes out of my holiday to find and purchase one of its limited Resident Evil 6 Special Edition packs. The pack would cost me a cool $1300 (105,000 Yen), much like my plane ticket, and would include four phone case covers and a snazzy replica of Leon's leather jacket.

The pack is available for pre-order now (the discs are "printhing [sic]," according to the listing), with Leon's jacket available in Small, Medium, Large, or Extra Large. No translations mention a Leon-coat designed in a female cut. The phone covers shown on the page reveal that Leon, Chris, Jake, and "SECRET" will feature on one phone cover each. At the moment the pack is only available to Japanese gamers.

The jacket would seem to be the main focus here, though. What can we say about it? It's made of leather, has many functional pockets, little shoulder-hook things and a few cosmetic strips here and there. Leon looks dashing enough in it. Do leather jackets normally cost this much? What kind of leather are we talking here? While we're on the subject, an official replica of Adam Jensen's (hot as all proverbials) trenchcoat is a fraction of the price. But then again, it doesn't include phone covers or a copy of the game.

Resident Evil 6 and its $1300 Japanese Special Leathery Edition will be released on October 2 2012.

Source: Eurogamer

Is this for real? Wow. I feel bad for anyone who spends this kind of money on leather jackets >.>

It's a shame the whole thing can't be translated due to being an image.
$1300 dollars?
Make it $130 and then we can talk.

Well, I suppose young japanese males, with their lack of spending money on ladies, might be tempted to buy one. It's how Capcom makes up it's profit margins right?

I bought a leather jacket for $150, over 10 years ago. I know that inflation occurs but really?

For $1300 I'd expect nothing less than a hooker looking exactly like Jill Valentine to jump out of the box and spend the night with you.

Get the fuck out of here! 1300 bucks for a game, some phone covers, and a jacket with a few extra pockets? A fool and his money I guess . . .

Xiado:
For $1300 I'd expect nothing less than a hooker looking exactly like Jill Valentine to jump out of the box and spend the night with you.

Forget a one nighter, she better be there for life and if she has a subscription fee then something is up.

No.

Just... No.

$1300? Are you kidding me? No.

$1300? So for me that would be 817.83, according to some Google converter. Jesus... and I thought I was being silly when I bought the Skyrim Collectors Edition for 129.99.

Xiado:
For $1300 I'd expect nothing less than a hooker looking exactly like Jill Valentine to jump out of the box and spend the night with you

In some more rural areas of the country you could probably get a reasonable facsimile of what you're describing for about half that. . . . .

Hevva:

Dear lord... are we sure that's not in yen?

nah, i think it is not worth it, not a real fan of the series, more for the hardcore fanbase.

must say that the deus ex trench coat looks sweet.

Fappy:
Is this for real? Wow. I feel bad for anyone who spends this kind of money on leather jackets >.>

I real man doesn't pay the gold price for a leather leather jacket, he pays the lead price.

Dastardly:

Hevva:

Dear lord... are we sure that's not in yen?

It converts to roughly 1,298 dollars Canadian. We need to keep in mind though that everything in Japan is more expensive than it would be in North America.

Edit, I'm curious what a real leather jacket is actually worth.

you'd think for that amount they at least also give away the on disc DLC

They must be desperate for cash huh?

They may be stupid but whomever buys that is stupider.

What can I say? Capcom you guys are just money hungry.

I can find a better leather jacket for roughly half the price. Hell I bet I can find a replica jacket for a cheaper price.

Forget Leon's coat.

I'd rather buy the shit out of Adam Jensen's coat.

Jensen's coat costs a lot less because it doesn't have the flower pattern. It would cost $1300 if it had them.

So instead of gamers raging on Capcom, we have to deal with tons on tons of Mass Effect threads?

I know Capcom has always been a company testing just how much they can get away with, but 4 digits for a lousy jacket and some phone covers? I don't know any special editions come close to that in terms of price, regardless of content.

Captcha:heated debate.
Understatement round these parts

Sexy jacket is sexy...expensive jacket is expensive...

I could get a jacket like that in a common clothes store for a fifth of the price.

well if you consider that this leather jacket already costs 864,67 U.S. Dollars

its not that ridiculous.it is a real leather jacket plus game plus swag.
so its okay?

For that kind of money I'd expect a coat designed by Chanel or something.

And you shouldn've linked me that Deus Ex coat. Good gods that's a good looking coat...

Id rather go to a thrift store, buy a leather jacket for 1/50th the price. Seriously? $1300?

I know Capcom likes to swim in pools of money, but this is just.... wrong.

And for an extra $100, you can unlock the use of the zipper.

DVS BSTrD:

Fappy:

I real man doesn't pay the gold price for a leather leather jacket, he pays the lead price.

I thought it was the Iron price.

WOW, I WANT THAT JACKET!

*Goes to Burlington and buys same jacket for much less plus some sweaters for the whole family*

rhizhim:

its not that ridiculous.it is a real leather jacket plus game plus swag.
so its okay?

The vid was great, thanks for that!

sigh... anywho...

Why this is:

Go take that airline trip to Nippon, it may open your eyes to the culture of the country.

What this would seemingly appeal to is the Gyaru, or Gyaru-o fashion and youth culture. Japan is interesting in that having "money" and sloshing it around is both fashionable and attractive. Really a very desirable activity. Wearing an expensive, rare (if even cheaply made) leather jacket is a statement... one that says "I have enough money to blow on bullshit and not think twice about it".

This is simply a cultural repetition that goes back to the feudal era where a prominent person would have lavish silks, overly decorative furniture, and retainers following one around.

More western countries seem to value individuality (or at least cater to it on the low end), where as, Asiatic countries "tend" to value family position and status. Something like this is not meant for a person who has to "decide" how to spend their little 60 dollars, it is meant for someone who may blow a few thousand dollars a month on designer clothing.

The lesson here for would be travelers to Japan. "I have money and you don't" is extremely common and desirable. Not knowing the difference at a glance between a dolce and gabbana and some crap one buys at a shop-mart is an indicator of one's low brow culture and peasant upbringing. This is no different.

That is, just how it is, in many of the youth driven circles of the country.

While I guess that would be good for diehard fans who gonna cosplay him but surely it would be cheaper to get a similar looking jacket or making one yourself if you're going to cosplay him. Both result should be cheaper than the $1300 jacket.

I'd honestly rather have his jacket from RE4.

If it was a replica of Leon's RE 4 jacket I could see myself paying $1300 for it but this no.

screw that, i agree with the facebook comment, we need a replica wesker coat

Damn, Bioware should have made a replica of Shepard's leather jacket. now THAT I would buy. Or Leon's bomber jacket from RE4.

blackdwarf:
nah, i think it is not worth it, not a real fan of the series, more for the hardcore fanbase.

must say that the deus ex trench coat looks sweet.

I'd certainly want this coat for sure, but I wouldn't spend THAT much for it. I'm sure there are other replicas for 1/4 of the price.

On another note... You and I have the same taste in avatar pics :3 Ghost Trick is amazing!~

Well hey, if people want it...personally though No.

If i was going to buy any merchandise from any property it would be the Jack Harkness coat, though that Adam Jensen trenchcoat would come a close second

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here