ZeniMax Attempts To Trademark "Fus Ro Dah"

ZeniMax Attempts To Trademark "Fus Ro Dah"

Bethesda Softworks' parent company ZeniMax Media Inc. has filed a half-dozen trademark applications for Skyrim's most iconic Shout.

Fus Ro Dah. Three simple syllables that are now permanently etched into the brains of anyone who played The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Now ZeniMax hopes to leverage that awareness into a range of other money-making opportunities by turning the phrase into its own brand.

As of April 4, the company had submitted six separate trademark applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office for the phrase, all of which strongly hint at the use of those three non-words in upcoming products ranging from the expected ("on-line interactive computer games") to the frankly baffling ("eyeglass cases").

Fusible gathered the six applications together for handy persual:

Serial Number: 85589286
Computer game software for use with computers and video game consoles; downloadable computer game software offered via the internet and wireless devices; cell phone cases; downloadable cell phone ringtones; digital tablet cases; smart phone cases; mouse pads; eyeglass cases; head phones

Serial Number: 85589288
Computer and video game user instruction manuals; magazines, books, and pamphlets concerning video games; computer and video game strategy guide books and magazines; trading cards, maps, posters, advertisement boards of paper or cardboard, art prints

Serial Number: 85589291
Bags, namely, backpacks, duffel bags, knapsacks, book bags, athletic bags, and cosmetic bags, sold empty

Serial Number: 85589294
Clothing, namely, T-shirts, shirts, sweatshirts, fleece pullovers; headwear, namely, hats

Serial Number: 85589296
Toys and action figures; playing cards, dice, and board games; bobble-head dolls; sporting equipment

Serial Number: 85589298
Entertainment services, namely, providing on-line interactive computer games and providing information relating to electronic computer games via the internet

As the site points out, this could be a relatively standard attempt by the company to maintain its exclusive rights to the now-famous phrase, but the wide ranging scope of the applications also suggests that ZeniMax has big plans for the Shout.

Until we get clear indication that the company is going to offer Fus Ro Dah merchandise, we can't necessarily say that we'll ever see fleece pullovers emblazoned with those magic words, but we can speculate wildly.

Personally speaking, I'd jump at the chance to own a cosmetic bag that simultaneously baffles onlookers and loudly proclaims my frightening allegiance to a high fantasy roleplaying game. Nothing impresses the ladies like a man with a gaming-themed tote full of nail polish -- or so I've been assured by snickering teenaged girls.

Source: Fusible

Man, I totally want some Fus Ro Swag.

Then I'd be swaggiest Dragonborn who ever swagged.

Ummmm why do they need to trademark every possible use of the phrase seperately?
Not that I'm complaining. I do like the idea of a Skyrim backpack and bags, it would be great to have my school books and groceries to be...

*insert avatar*

...Dragon borne

they'd have to be crazy to not monetize something this well-known among fans this dedicated.

As long as they don't touch pre-existing products, then this is fine.

Kargathia:
they'd have to be crazy to not monetize something this well-known among fans this dedicated.

Especially for women.

The Fus Ro Bra gives ultimate support for the ultimate adventurer.

Daystar Clarion:

Kargathia:

Especially for women.

The Fus Roh Bra gives ultimate support for the ultimate adventurer.

and the fus roh bla mobile flat lets you SCREAM YOUR ENEMIES INTO FEAR FROM INCREDIBLE DISTANCES and that while enjoying the crystal clear sound of their tears, no matter where you might be. no comunication disruption, guaranteed!

Daystar Clarion:
Man, I totally want some Fus Ro Swag.

Then I'd be swaggiest Dragonborn who ever swagged.

then you will become the Swag on born.

Webcomics...be afraid...and be looking forward to cool FUS RO DAH! swag.

Hey, I'll buy FUS RO DAH! products. Imagine a hairdryer.

Daystar Clarion:

Kargathia:

Especially for women.

I think you've earned these.

I'll buy Fus Ro Dah products. I already have an arrow in the knee T-Shirt, so bring the Fus Ro Dah products on.

I would have trademarked it first, but then I got an arrow in the knee.
Their lawyers are armed with bows ever since the Scrolls incident.

Really? It's a step above trademarking "Edge," but still kind of stupid. I understand why they're doing it, and it just proves how badly the US patent system needs to be reworked.

Daystar Clarion:

Kargathia:

Especially for women.

Force. Balance. Push-up.

Kargathia:

Daystar Clarion:

Kargathia:

Especially for women.

Force. Balance. Push.

Definitely going to be a push-up.

Oh shit, that totally skipped my mind!

Fus Ro Bra

Force. Balance. Push.

This should be a thing :D

Quick, someone go buy up We Love Fine's backstock before it vanishes!

Aw man, say goodbye to fan-made tees sporting shouts.

Many trademark filings are as much a precaution so no third party lifts on the success by using the phrase as any preperation for an actual product. Because where the hell are my Oblivion trading-cards?

And I think that the listing of every type of bag is a lawyer template that allows them to trademark a certain range of products all at once. So instead of trademarking backpack and atlethic bag seperately they are probably off cheaper by simply trademarking bags which contains a whole slew of other items.

(Sidebar: Apparently there is a fake-as-in-chinese Skyrim shirt for sale in a marketstall in the Sleeping Dogs game).

If we don't get an electronic megaphone tthat does nothing but shout Fus Ro Dah everytime you speak into it, I'll be very disappointed.

Eyeglass cases? Possibly a tie-in with Gunnar Optiks.

I have a pair as a set of prescription lenses. So choice. :D

Trademarking memes eh?

It might help with all the spam we get sick to death of in the weeks following its mutation.

But then that will be balanced out somewhat by the number of puns we see on the merchandise.

I feel something contradictory in those last two sentences...

Does... does this mean Bethesda are finally releasing merchandise for The Elder Scrolls?! I've been waiting for this day for 10 years!

I don;t think this will work... I know for example that SxEPhil is selling Fus RO Dah shirts already, so isn;t it impossible for zenimax to trademark it if some one is already using it?

Now that is a trademark I can agree with.
Unlike trademarks using existing words. Such as "Edge".

Just Fus Ro Dah? So, I can still print my tees with "OD AH VIING" on them? Or Yol Toor Shul? Fus is fun and all, but something like Strun Bah Qo is more exciting, if even more fatal to your followers.

Though, I would totally by some swag. Oh yeah.

/crackknuckles

Here we go....

Well, I've already named my unborn children Fus, Ro and Dah. Check and mate!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here