PAX East 2012: The Escapist's Blankety Blank Panel!

PAX East 2012: The Escapist's Blankety Blank Panel!

Quick wits combine with filthy minds on this PAX East panel.

Missed out on all the fun and games at PAX East, especially The Escapist's amazingly cool "Blankety Blank Panel"? Then you're in luck! Escapist user MstrFantastic was able to capture a few clips of the hilarious panel, which featured our very own Managing Editor Susan Arendt hosting a live version of classic TV game show Match Game, and was nice enough to post them up to his YouTube account!

For those unfamiliar with how Match Game works, two contestants compete to match their answers to that of six celebrity panelists in various fill-in-the-blank statements.

Below you'll find all eight clips of the Blankety Blank panel, which featured MovieBob, Kathleen DeVere and Graham Stark from LoadingReadyRun, former The Escapist Editor-in-Chief Russ Pitts, Activision's Dan Amrich, and Kyle Orland from Ars Technica.

Warning! These clips may contain some not safe for work language.

Part 1
Question: "PAX East is a great place to meet new friends. But, if you stay out late, be sure to remember to wash your BLANK!"

Part 2
Question: "A children's welfare group is lobbying to demand the removal of the world "troll" because it damages self esteem. From now on, they would prefer you to use the word BLANK."

Part 3
Question: "So there's been backlash about the Han Solo dancing mini-game in Star Wars Kinect, but it's actually worse than the first version, where he was BLANKING."

Part 4
Question: "There's a new classic arcade opening up in Las Vegas and it is definitely not for kids. For instance, their version of Pac-Man is played with a giant glowing BLANK."

Part 5
Question: "Halo fans have a bad image, you know, because of the stuff on Xbox Live, and they want everyone to know that they're really nice people, so on on the cover of Halo 4, instead of a gun, Master Chief will be holding a BLANK."

Part 6
Question: "A group of Browncoats started a Kickstarter to get another Firefly movie made, and the incentives for donating are pretty great. For $100, you get Nathan Fillion's autograph. For $1000, you get his BLANK."

Part 7
Question: "The New York Times recently reviewed the Game of Thrones HBO series and pretty much said you needed to be the kind of person who played Dungeons and Dragons to really get into it. Game of Thrones fans responded by sending BLANK to the New York Times."

Part 8
Question: "Lots of people think that game tester is the worst job you can have in game development, but it's not. The worst job is actually the guy that has to BLANK."

Awesome! Thank you MstrFantastic!!!

Also, if anyone DOES create that animated GIF, please post it for all to enjoy. =)

it would be awesome if this were a single audiofile but however i still enjoyed all of them :). thanks mstrfantastic you truly are your namesake.

cardinalwiggles:
it would be awesome if this were a single audiofile but however i still enjoyed all of them :). thanks mstrfantastic you truly are your namesake.

Unfortunately, my recording of this panel got hopelessly garbled due to a technical issue. We're working on getting audio of the entire panel, but in the meantime, at least we have this! (Thank you again, MstrFantastic!)

Susan Arendt:

cardinalwiggles:

Unfortunately, my recording of this panel got hopelessly garbled due to a technical issue. We're working on getting audio of the entire panel, but in the meantime, at least we have this! (Thank you again, MstrFantastic!)

So later, when you release the digitally-remastered Special Edition of the panel, do we get your answers in the special features?

This looks like fun! I'll be sure to watch it all...when I get out of work.

*Bookmarks that*

"Friend and Ollie."

That's my answer for everything.

I love under-bridge Americans
but trolls have got to go!

Man I had so much fun being a contestant on this (I'm "Sean Bean's head"). I'm so glad someone captured it all. Thanks MstrFantastic and Susan for MCing such a great panel.

Formica Archonis:
"Friend and Ollie."

I'm sure most folks here don't get that particular reference, but I think you're amazing.

Susan Arendt:

Formica Archonis:
"Friend and Ollie."

I'm sure most folks here don't get that particular reference, but I think you're amazing.

Thank you.:) It's always the first thing I think of when I think of Match Game, much like "September" and "Turkey" are the first things I think of when I think of Family Feud, or how I've forgotten everything about the game show "Scrabble" (even the rules) except for one shot of Chuck Woolery being so confused by a contestant that he didn't end the show with the canned closing speech. Some things just stay with you.

I've watched a lot of game shows. Did I mention that?

Formica Archonis:

Susan Arendt:

Formica Archonis:
"Friend and Ollie."

Thank you.:) It's always the first thing I think of when I think of Match Game, much like "September" and "Turkey" are the first things I think of when I think of Family Feud, or how I've forgotten everything about the game show "Scrabble" (even the rules) except for one shot of Chuck Woolery being so confused by a contestant that he didn't end the show with the canned closing speech. Some things just stay with you.

I've watched a lot of game shows. Did I mention that?

I know the "September" and "Turkey" references (I apparently also watch a lot of game shows), but the Scrabble one is new to me.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the videos. I apologize they're a bit shaky and blurry. I taped the segments using an SLR camera, which had no "steady cam" option and I wasn't overly familiar with the video recording options on it.

Thanks to all of the panelists & host who made a surprisingly awesome panel.

Susan Arendt:
I know the "September" and "Turkey" references (I apparently also watch a lot of game shows), but the Scrabble one is new to me.

My memory's not perfect and I haven't seen it since that first airing in the 90's(?), so caveat lector, but here's what I remember:

There was a contestant who went by a nickname, "Sizzle" I believe. She was quite the good player - won three(ish) times - but the first time she won, my goodness. She started crying. And not happy or excited crying, either; this was inarticulate weeping like you'd expect of someone at a funeral. When Chuck Woolery (somewhat confused) asked if she was okay, she buried her face in his chest and just kept on crying. He was lost on what to do. He just looked at the camera and improv-ed a short "We'll see you next time." ending instead of the standard one.

Next day's episode (so, taped the same day) Sizzle was right as rain, though they apparently had to delay things a bit when her legs gave out soon after the fade to black. While she was still crying. And holding onto Chuck. When she got to the bonus round the second time I think poor Chuck Woolery was more nervous than she was! She started crying when she won that time too, but she managed to stay on her own feet.

For those looking for the animated gif of the gents taking their glasses off. Mr. Kyle Orland has provided it via Twitter.

http://twitpic.com/98dtzh

MstrFantastic, you have now reached DOUBLE AWESOME status. Congratulations. =)

Some of these were just hard to watch...

especially MovieBob... that was just embarassing.

I really wanted to stay, but I had to be one of those people who left early to reach the last bus back to the hotels. Maybe next PAX? :)

Does anybody else think Russ Pitts looks like a real-life Rusty Venture?

I haven't laughed this hard in quite awhile. Thanks you guys for the really creative panel idea and the absurd laughs. Maybe it could be a regular podcast segment, and I know I'd be enjoying this very, very much due to my being a total game show nerd for the classics like Match Game, Family Feud, Card Sharks, and the like.

Hopefully we'll get a full audio recording soon (backup recordings FTW). I know I'd be very happy to hear the entire panel.

And BTW, first post. Hopefully I can stick around here for awhile.

BJ

Answer for #7: Their own declining sales numbers.

Answer for #8: Do PR for Peter Molyneux.

My answers:
#1: Dirty mind

#2: Morons

#3: Doing the locomotion

#4: (matching Kathleen) Hourly-rate friend

#5: Mute button

#6: Hair

#7: The head of Sean Bean

#8: Community Manager for Electronic Arts

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook