Port of Dark Souls Prepares PC Gamers for Death

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Port of Dark Souls Prepares PC Gamers for Death

The aptly named Prepare to Die edition of Dark Souls will arrive for PC this summer, presumably slaughtering everything in its path.

PC gamers love hard games, right? While the majority of people playing games on PCs are actually occupying their time with Bejeweled and FarmVille, there is still a dedicated community of stalwarts who balk at the notion of games that can be completed without an instruction manual the size of a small dog. This August, though, Namco Bandai will take the hardcore PC community under a leathery, demonic wing when it publishes Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. The popular PS3 and Xbox 360 title, known for its punishing difficulty and cohesive world-building, will arrive with improved PVP capabilities, a new area to explore, and lots of new monsters to gawk at before they tear you to pieces with teeth, claws, poison, and whatever else they have handy.

Considering the PC crowd's predilection for tough titles (Dwarf Fortress, anyone?), Dark Souls seems like a natural fit. If its subtitle is to be believed, Prepare to Die's new content will give them a challenge worthy of their skills. PVP enhancements will allow players to tailor more elaborate battles against one another, and the new "Artorias of the Abyss" content will pit players against fearsome new foes in unexplored terrain. At present, it looks like a dragon and a manticore will eagerly take a bite out of would-be adventurers, but rest assured that other enemies, gargantuan bosses, and unfriendly environments will take you out long before you can reach them, you Zynga-coddled milksop.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die will launch around the world on August 24 in both digital and retail form, which should give PC gamers lots of time to cut their teeth on The Witcher 2 and prepare arguments for why Dark Souls will never be as hardcore as the X series (with the exception of that mollycoddling X3). If you choose not to buy the game, that's all right, too. We'll understand if you're too afraid.

(I know I am.)

Source: Gamespot

Yeah, sure we're afraid. We're afraid of having to use Games for Windows Live again.

Rock Paper Shotgun
Another Escapist post
Destructoid

Is this Namco Bandai's idea of a joke? Because it really isn't funny.

leet_x1337:
Yeah, sure we're afraid. We're afraid of having to use Games for Windows Live again.

Rock Paper Shotgun
Another Escapist post
Destructoid

I was about to bring that up as well so you beat me to it. Those even include the link to the petition too so I can't even win there. Also on another note.

Marshall Honorof:
The popular PS3 title

You do realize that Dark Souls is on both PS3 and 360 right? Demon's Souls is the PS3 only one. Also Atlus published Demon's Souls while Namco Bandai published Dark Souls. The reason for change in publishers and names is a huge tangle in IP ownership.

leet_x1337:

Rock Paper Shotgun
Another Escapist post
Destructoid

That just killed my interest in this game quicker than a player in Dark Souls.

I'll suffer GFWL to play this on the PC. I was just playing the PS3 version a few nights ago when I decided to stop because the news leaked of it getting an August release. I literally can't wait. I look forward to not having horrible frame rates. And I also look forward to Mouse+KB controls.

80Maxwell08:

You do realize that Dark Souls is on both PS3 and 360 right? Demon's Souls is the PS3 only one.

Well, no argument here. I'll update that.

Marshall Honorof:

80Maxwell08:

You do realize that Dark Souls is on both PS3 and 360 right? Demon's Souls is the PS3 only one.

Well, no argument here. I'll update that.

Huh you already did that was fast. Good job.
captcha: ham and cheese. HAH jokes on you captcha I don't care for ham.

I wonder if the new content is going to be DLC for PS3/360 owners at some point.

Yes! Been waiting for this!

So wait, what happens to the people who bought it on 360 and PS3? Do we get a DLC pack or anything?

inb4 "console kiddies". Platform wars are not wanted here, I'm happy to share with the PC gamers.

... and meanwhile, somewhere in Edmonton, Canada BioWare excecs are rubbing their hands in glee.

As long as console players get the DLC, woohoo.

But the entire method of advertisement just seemed really shoddy to begin with.

I really hope this new content finds itself on the console version some way at some point, doesn't even have to be right away. If not From Software will go from "OH I LOVE YOU FROM!" to "I LOVE YOU FROM BUT WHY DO YOU HURT ME SO!?"

Either way, I'm still super happy PC(-only) users get to play it now.

Tanis:
I wonder if the new content is going to be DLC for PS3/360 owners at some point.

It would be smart of them to make it DLC. If they don't they will anger a lot of people. If they want to look good they should make the DLC free.

I can't wait till August 24th. I plan on pre-ordering Dark Souls tomorrow.

Honestly i am disgusted by this news, this is coming from a PC gamer mind you. Unless they make it so that its mod proof, then the entire game is ruined because of the fact that people will mod it just to tone down the difficulty and that right there folks is why this will probably be a poor port because any sort of challenge that the player might feel is just some time and coding away from being easier.

Bat Vader:

Tanis:

It would be smart of them to make it DLC. If they don't they will anger a lot of people. If they want to look good they should make the DLC free.

I can't wait till August 24th. I plan on pre-ordering Dark Souls tomorrow.

i don't think they can, which is why tf2 hasn't been updated on console in forever, maybe i'm wrong about that...but i would assume so.

unfortunately there are alot of limits on consoles while PC the sky in the limit, so maybe they are still trying to figure out how to port the new content into consoles without lagging/frying the console to hell and back.

Skizle:
Honestly i am disgusted by this news, this is coming from a PC gamer mind you. Unless they make it so that its mod proof, then the entire game is ruined because of the fact that people will mod it just to tone down the difficulty and that right there folks is why this will probably be a poor port because any sort of challenge that the player might feel is just some time and coding away from being easier.

wait what? your mad because someone else, might tone down THEIR game, for THEIR enjoyment? really? how does that affect you, in the slightest?

LOL Games for Windows Live

Now the fact I would never play it will never happen...

I love RPG's and I love difficult games. I have bought nearly every single half decent RPG that I could get my hands on for years - having heard so much buzz about this from the community I was really looking forwards to playing it and it would have been an instant pre-order for me.

The news that it is going to come with GFWL has killed my interest.

Over the last six years I have bought over 230 games through Steam and only 2 that use GFWL. Those two games were more than enough to convince me never to waste my money on any game that uses that service again. Deleted/corrupted save games, refusing to recognise my login, kicking me out of games every five minutes for no good reason - it is a shoddy, unreliable piece of rubbish with terrible to nonexistant support.

I saw someone post on another forum saying that the fact that they have announced it probably means that a deal has been signed and there will be no changing it.

I really hope that is not the case and they reconsider. Any other service or form of DRM would be preferable as far as I am concerned.

burningdragoon:
"I LOVE YOU FROM BUT WHY DO YOU HURT ME SO!?"

Which really is just a continuation of the theme of the game.

Already signed.
Hope it will really change something.

Skizle:

And why in the world do YOU care? They're not forcing you to download the mod. I'm disgusted by this post, this is coming from an PC gamer mind you.

Marshall Honorof:
PVP enhancements will allow players to tailor more elaborate battles against one another, and the new "Artorias of the Abyss" content will pit players against fearsome new foes in unexplored terrain.

Fearsome new foe? They're talking about GFWL, aren't they?

great news, but i hope that they will make it available as DLC for the consoles. i would even pay for it (if the price is reasonable, ofcourse), because i have no problems at all with supporting this games.

i do spend a lot of time on the pc but so far i've only played one game with GFWL, and i don't really had any problems with it. ok, i didn't play anything online, but is the service really that bad?

blackdwarf:
great news, but i hope that they will make it available as DLC for the consoles. i would even pay for it (if the price is reasonable, ofcourse), because i have no problems at all with supporting this games.

i do spend a lot of time on the pc but so far i've only played one game with GFWL, and i don't really had any problems with it. ok, i didn't play anything online, but is the service really that bad?

Go read the posts on this link to hear some people's experiences with it.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.366712-Dark-Souls-PC-port-to-use-GFWL?page=1

So yes the GFWL was a poor decision, I have no idea why have they chosen this and if they have been TRULY listening, I'm sure a LOT have uttered out "STEAM PLEASE" even in the bamco forums. Still, I am happy that the petition actually brought the game to PC in the end. Its still a victory and it may even herald a new age where companies will be more willing to listen to the consumers!!

As for modding and what not, its too early to call it out on that -- IF say a player truly want to enjoy the real Dark Souls experience then they should not tamper it in the first place. As for the rampant online hacking, we will see.

9000 signatures for the petition is not that bad. 540,000 dollars down the drain for Bamco should be a somewhat of deal I hope. I don't mind if they take a week or month or two delay for switching over to Steam, but I would keep my hopes low in either case. A true fan will play it for the experience regardless. I know I will even though I had to deal with shitty DRM -- AS LONG as the original product's quality is not affected (even offline only is fine! As yahtzee say a good game should be able to stand up on its own merit with single player only).

I know how bad GFWL is, but then hey I just want to enjoy this game so I don't care as much, what I care truly is that we get more console games over to PC, and DARK SOULS OMG YES!!!

As for Console people who are complaining about it being brought onto PC, they really should wisen up. It wont even affect them!! So why bother complaining? If its the DLC, I bet it will get released eventually anyway -- it would be foolish for bamco not to. Inb4 case of it was not even released though : Be glad you have tasted Dark Souls before you do, and Hey remember, console players who have played it on their console and wanted it on PC who also have asked for this!!

... Also, remember Blighttown? Nuff said.

A true gamer should just embrace this growth -- its good for everyone and the industry as a whole. Unless we need to make a new word for racism, but its aimed at what console you play...

80Maxwell08:

blackdwarf:

Go read the posts on this link to hear some people's experiences with it.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.366712-Dark-Souls-PC-port-to-use-GFWL?page=1

i see it now. funny thing is that i have the same issue on the xbox version. because my internet providers doesn't support xbox live. so i understand why people are frustrated by this. and i also had this problem with dark souls.

blackdwarf:

Don't be so piss weak about it. Demand they be as cool as CD Projekt are by giving all the additional content from the new platform version to people with the old platform versions FOR FREE.

RhombusHatesYou:

blackdwarf:

Don't be so piss weak about it. Demand they be as cool as CD Projekt are by giving all the additional content from the new platform version to people with the old platform versions FOR FREE.

sure, but CD Projekt is always above the norm. if we compare everything to them, everyone else would seem bad. i have no problem with paying for this extra content, because it is in fact extra work post-release. work i would pay for if the content is good and the price is reasonable.

ah games for windows live you kill people faster then my home cooking. good thing I'm immune to it so i can keep on living. as long as i have fun the rest be dammed.

So its official.... holy shit!!! I'll just step outside and see if the four horsemen are knocking on my door.
That is actually insane, I can't believe all the well structured whining we PC elists/people with no lives and friends(excluding online friends) actually payed off. Me as a cynical and jaded prick thought this would never happen... us whining nerds getting something through whining.
In all seriousness this actually was worth all the effort.
"Cry out loud enough and someone will eventually come and see what all the fuss is about" -Garrus.

Oh don't get me started on ME3!

Valagetti:
In all seriousness this actually was worth all the effort.

Even with GFWL?

blackdwarf:

RhombusHatesYou:

blackdwarf:

sure, but CD Projekt is always above the norm. if we compare everything to them, everyone else would seem bad.

And? I'm not seeing the problem here. CD Projekt, bar a few fuck ups, are the standard other companies in the industry should be striving for and we should put boot to arse to encourage them.

And as a Shamalan-esque twist, there will be gfwl on it.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here