Internet Petition Demands Dark Souls Drop GFWL

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I'm getting rather weary of the common dismissive and contemptuous attitude often displayed by The Escapist where any form of gaming related protest is involved. Hearts and minds; ask General Petraeus about it if you think that concept is worthless.

Gaming might be low on the food chain of things to protest over but the methodology remains the same. People who feel they otherwise have no voice in the matter, protest against what they see as injustice. Listening to you guys, it would be like saying "Those silly black people. Always with the noisy protests and sit ins, like that's going to do anything. They should just vote like everyone else and stop making a scene like a bunch of self entitled man children."

It is disgusting listening to you constantly dis protests of the voiceless, even for something as humble as video games. For shame. Grats on being part of the problem.

So - you petition to get the game ported... and now you petition to modify it before it's been released? There's simply no pleasing some people. Then again, I've only had to deal with GFWL once with Batman: AA.

This petition just annoys me. Yeah, sure, people may have preferences, but the reasons they gave?

GFWL is unpopular

Okay... I suppose this means no games should ever be released on GFWL or Origin or any service which isn't popular.

difficult to use

Bicycles are difficult to use at first. I've used GFWL and though I do prefer Steam/found Steam easier, it wasn't that much more complicated to push me away from using it.

inconvenient

Valid point if tieing in to the next part about the online aspect. In my experience I was usually unable to connect first time to in-game content.

has terrible online support (a key feature in Dark Souls)

I wouldn't know about online support - are they referring to like, customer support or to in game connectivity? Is the online aspect of Dark Souls really that important though to the experience?

and is downright unpleasant.

Now that just strikes me as a troll statement.

I'm guessing my ire just comes from listing reasons not to use it as "unpopular" and "unpleasant". It sounds very entitled, after the developers decided to release the game on a platform which wasn't initially in their plans.

Even for a single player game GFWL, can be a massive delay before it logs you in and you can finally play your game.
I don't see how DS' multiplayer features could possibly work over GFWL.

AnarchistAbe:
*sigh* I'm done. Is it just me, or is every news story nowadays about gamers bitching about *insert topic here*? Is it just me that sees it?

Yeah, bitching about people bitching, that's solving the problem...-sarcasam-

Asuka Soryu:

AnarchistAbe:
*sigh* I'm done. Is it just me, or is every news story nowadays about gamers bitching about *insert topic here*? Is it just me that sees it?

Yes, tearing into the guy everyone else is tearing into for having an opinion. THAT will solve the problem...-sarcasm-

This I can get behind. GFWL is crap. Pretty much all PC games should be released on Gog anyhow.

AnarchistAbe:
IT ISN'T OUT YET!!! How do you know it doesn't work? I have never once had an issue with GFWL.

Remember when Rocksteady had problems with Batman Arkham City saves being deleted? The problem was GFWL. GTA IV had similar issues and for a few consecutive months the service was down so no games with GFWL could be saved.
I don't usually have any major problems with it, with the exception of losing my Batman Arkham City save when I had reached 80% completion and done all the campaigns, but I am aware of the problems others have had so I wont ignore that they exist.

Tanis:
I don't blame people.

I've used GFWL once and made a 180 da hell outa that crap.
I'm not even a fan of STEAM, but at least that tends to work better.

the best is when you buy a game from steam that requires you to use gfwl. I love dicking around with microsofts shitty service for an hour before I play a game

Calcium:

has terrible online support (a key feature in Dark Souls)

I wouldn't know about online support - are they referring to like, customer support or to in game connectivity? Is the online aspect of Dark Souls really that important though to the experience?

Considering that any/every covenant interaction revolves around the multiplayer in some way, yes.

There are ways to farm the items needed off regular monsters to advance through a covenant, but it's much much more tedious and takes away from the role playing aspect of the game.

Roboto:

AnarchistAbe:

You're done? Don't let the door hitchya!

But really, a lot more about what is being heard is people saying "no more" to crap like this.

I find it funny that critics of "gamers bitching" always said we should stop bitching and do something about it. ie. vote with our wallets. Now that we are doing both, telling them that we won't buy it if they use GFWL and giving concrete reasons for doing so, we are being criticized again.

Why do people complain about complainers? Isn't that a little hypocritical?

Andy Chalk:
I can't help but think that "Steam or no sale" gamers are cutting off their buttons to spite their mice, to coin a somewhat more relevant expression, but props to them for sticking to their guns. And who knows? Given the precedent set by the "we want Dark Souls" petition, maybe Namco will listen to this one too.

Why steam or no sale? Steam is better than GFWL but its hardly what I would call a good platform, that kinda seams like yelling "Origin or no sale', yeah origin is bad but its better than GFWL so lets settle for that. Why don't people demand that they actually use a good platform rather than one that is just less shit.

AnarchistAbe:

Yup...pretty much.
I stopped trying to start threads about most other games entirely. Unless it's Skyrim or some other universal chestnut, nobody is interested in talking unless there's controversy or bitching to be done.

It's getting to the point where I'm about to just say "fuck the forums entirely" and go back to lurking. Too much of the negative element.

AnarchistAbe:

Asuka Soryu:

AnarchistAbe:

Yes, tearing into the guy everyone else is tearing into for having an opinion. THAT will solve the problem...-sarcasm-

Yeah, copying my response will will solve the problem. -sarcasm-

Asuka Soryu:

AnarchistAbe:

Asuka Soryu:

Yeah, copying my response will will solve the problem. -sarcasm-

Yeah, arguing on the internet will solve the problem. -sarcasm-

Atmos Duality:

AnarchistAbe:

Yup...pretty much.
I stopped trying to start threads about most other games entirely. Unless it's Skyrim or some other universal chestnut, nobody is interested in talking unless there's controversy or bitching to be done.

It's getting to the point where I'm about to just say "fuck the forums entirely" and go back to lurking. Too much of the negative element.

I hear that. You've actually given me an idea! I'm going to build a subforum on my site for only positivity. I'll see how that goes, lol.

I would MUCH rather it be on Steam. I'll sign the petition.

I signed it, but I know it won't make a difference purely from a business standpoint. To be able to get everything they're already doing done in the amount of time Namco-Bandai has allotted them, they can't rewrite entirely new netcode. As it stands, they have to write hardly any, they can just port over the 360 code.

I'm just signing it to let them know for their next game, we won't stand for this shit. It's worked before.

AnarchistAbe:

It's called being a responsible consumer. That's how capitalism works. If there's something you don't like about a product, you let the people making it know. Then if enough people complain, they change it.

Don't you people see?!
From is against PC gaming Master Race, so they purposely chose GFWL, expecting that we'd become whiny and angry, and by doing so ensuring that PC gaming Master Race will be hated forever, by everyone!

I've never had an issue with GFWL. Also, I doubt they will drop it, as this is usually a requirement due to the contracts Namco/Bandai would have to sign with Microsoft to secure the funding they needed to convert it.

Petitions won't fix everything. Sometimes they just ask to much. You got your PC port. Be happy. I know I certainly am.

Didn't someone here on the Escapist once write an article mentioning how bad GFWL is?
(I'm too lazy to dig at the moment)

In any case, I can quite understand that people are against GFWL. I have to use that abomination on a regular basis for Street Fighter and it is just terrible. (It signs me out every hour... for no good reason and that's just one of the gripes I have with GFWL)
It really is as if MS couldn't give a fuck about that service. It's totally archaic and never seems to get updated in any meaningful way. It's been the same terrible service for donkeys years now and everyone knows it.

Sort of depressed that another silly petition is being made, but what ever. At this point does anyone take those online petitions seriously any more?

AnarchistAbe:

Buretsu:

AnarchistAbe:
It'd be like me not having enough cookies, and you not having one. I go bake you a special cookie that takes up a lot of my time and effort. Then, you decide that I didn't use the right chocolate chips in my cookie, and you throw it in my face. Isn't that a bit of a dick move?

Well, if the chocolate chips you used were made of decayed fecal matter, then no, it wouldn't be.

Isn't that kind of trolling? You're throwing a scenario at me designed for me to fail. Obviously, I said "chocolate chips", not "fecal matter".

And what if you where allergic to chocolate?

The time and effort they put into it is all wasted if you can't enjoy the product because a component is so broken you can't use it. Just like I couldn't enjoy the cookie you made because chocolate makes me ill.

...gee, since Steam can "import" games and manage them thereafter (check it out), they don't even have to release it on any distribution network and pay those fees. They can just contract a download service, pay for the download, and (I would guess) trigger the "Add to Steam" feature at the end of the installation.

Oh... GFWL? Yeah that's a deal breaker. The only game I ever played with GFWL was Dawn of War 2 and I said Never Again.

AnarchistAbe:
...we should just try to be thankful for what we get.

what kind of stupid logic is this? "oh, we should be thankful they are willing to take our (full price i assume) cash and just suck it up if it doesnt work!" because lets be honest, if something doesnt work 99 times, you would be surprised if it would work the 100th time.

gfwl is a well known for being PoS, if they are in gaming industry they know that, and if they dont - then they should just do their damn market research.

yes, people asked for the game. they are "nice" enough to port the game, but releasing it on gfwl? thats pretty much trolling in my eyes, and you can bet your ass that if it wont sell, we will see a lot of articles saying bunch of stupid bs like "pc gaming is dead! piracy lowers the sales of dark souls!"

Obviously GFWL is terrible, but it's the only way to port the game to PC easily. They have a small budget and a tight schedule, and converting the game to anything else would be too difficult. Just buy this game, deal with GFWL, and hope the NEXT game they release is done with PC in mind.

Lumber Barber:
Don't you people see?!
From is against PC gaming Master Race, so they purposely chose GFWL, expecting that we'd become whiny and angry, and by doing so ensuring that PC gaming Master Race will be hated forever, by everyone!

...until any of the console players actually try GFWL.

w00tage:
...gee, since Steam can "import" games and manage them thereafter (check it out), they don't even have to release it on any distribution network and pay those fees. They can just contract a download service, pay for the download, and (I would guess) trigger the "Add to Steam" feature at the end of the installation.

That's not what anyone is complaining about.

"Add to Steam" does not magically integrate the online component with Steamworks. People want Steamworks, not Steam.

For comparison, go play Team Fortress 2 on Steamworks, then play Street Fighter IV on GFWL. The difference is like heaven and hell.

AnarchistAbe:

Buretsu:

AnarchistAbe:
It'd be like me not having enough cookies, and you not having one. I go bake you a special cookie that takes up a lot of my time and effort. Then, you decide that I didn't use the right chocolate chips in my cookie, and you throw it in my face. Isn't that a bit of a dick move?

Well, if the chocolate chips you used were made of decayed fecal matter, then no, it wouldn't be.

Isn't that kind of trolling? You're throwing a scenario at me designed for me to fail. Obviously, I said "chocolate chips", not "fecal matter".

GFWL is trolling. It IS like placing fecal matter into my chocolate chip cookie.

If the online component of my online-based game (which I've been told Dark Souls is) is one that crashes every three minutes, takes three hours to initialize properly, and has virtually no usable support, then that's fecal chips in my cookie. And that's EXACTLY my experience with GFWL. My ultimate triumph in gaming was modding GFWL the hell out of Fallout 3.

You people can't be happy with the console version so you whine until they release a PC version.
They take a moral stand against Steam, choosing the viable alternative since the market for PC games is so dried up that you simply cannot get hard copies, and you whine.
Why should they cater to you again?

SL33TBL1ND:

I signed it, but I know it won't make a difference purely from a business standpoint. To be able to get everything they're already doing done in the amount of time Namco-Bandai has allotted them, they can't rewrite entirely new netcode. As it stands, they have to write hardly any, they can just port over the 360 code.

I'm just signing it to let them know for their next game, we won't stand for this shit. It's worked before.

AnarchistAbe:

It's called being a responsible consumer. That's how capitalism works. If there's something you don't like about a product, you let the people making it know. Then if enough people complain, they change it.

Despite some of his rambling (seriously, that episode could have been 5 minutes, not 15), he raises some very good points. I just hope that he's right, and next time Namco will grant a better budget for the port so that it can be done right.

I think people are confused. Nowhere does it say the game will not be available on Steam. I'm willing to bet good money it will be since it's the number one digital distribution PC game network. It simply uses GFWL as shitty ass DRM and matchmaking... There are lots of games that use it and are available on Steam. Most recently, Gotham City Impostors. And since the game never allowed you to purposely join a friends game without jumping through massive hoops, it won't even matter that GFWL matchmaking is complete shit.

Using GFWL and being available only the GFWL Marketplace (or whatever it's called now) are two completely different things.

LoL, this comment thread is hilarious.

my favourite part of GFWL is that it encrypts your saves based on a hash generated by your PC. So even if you switch PCs and login with your account, you can't play your saves. Or, if you upgrade, you loose all progress in any GFWL game.

What a convenient and well thought out feature.

Darknacht:

Andy Chalk:
I can't help but think that "Steam or no sale" gamers are cutting off their buttons to spite their mice, to coin a somewhat more relevant expression, but props to them for sticking to their guns. And who knows? Given the precedent set by the "we want Dark Souls" petition, maybe Namco will listen to this one too.

Why steam or no sale? Steam is better than GFWL but its hardly what I would call a good platform, that kinda seams like yelling "Origin or no sale', yeah origin is bad but its better than GFWL so lets settle for that. Why don't people demand that they actually use a good platform rather than one that is just less shit.

Because in terms of pre-built matchmaking systems/online systems on the PC you basically have:

1) GFWL
2) Gamespy (kinda)
3) Steamworks (not to be confused with Steam itself)

Steamworks is just superior to the other two options by a long, long ways.

I don't touch anything that uses GFWL. Any time I have had the "pleasure" of using that service, it makes me want to punch a child.
When I consider GFWL to be "working" simply when I can get into the game and play for a little bit without something horrifying happening then there is a problem. It adds absolutely nothing to the experience of playing the game. While I understand many people's problem with Steam, I certainly like using that service more than GFWL.

AnarchistAbe:

Buretsu:
Would you prefer "Chips of Chocolate Laxative" or "Chocolate Chips laced with poison"? Because those fit the analogy as well.

Now you're just being ridiculous, lol. They did something nice, and we are throwing it in their faces. If you can't see that, then there is absolutely nothing I could say to change your mind.

Nope, sorry friend but YOU are being ridiculous. No, they didn't do something nice. Are they going to be handing the Game out for free? Fuck no, they want to sell it, this is no ''goodness of their hearts'' thing like you are trying to make it out to be. They are just responding to demand because the expect to net a profit.

This by the way makes your (stupid) analogy break. You didn't make the cookie for him because you just wanted to be a swell fellow and make him a cookie. Nope, you sat their and made the cookie to sell it to him and if you decided to use white chocolate when he wanted milk chocolate why the hell should he pay you for the cookie? To not hurt your precious little feelings? The only option you have is not giving him the cookie.

But here's the deal, the cookie isn't actually baked yet, it's still dough, the chocolate is still to be added, so if he tell's you that he won't buy the cookie unless you use milk chocolate...well, doing whatever you want and then expecting him to pay you for it anyway, that would be kind of stupid, wouldn't you agree?

In short:

No, you are wrong.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook