Mega Man Creator Shakes Fist At Japanese Game Industry

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Casual Shinji:
Did you just call MGS4 the best stealth game this generation?

That... is... hysterical.

MSG4 sold how much? Lowest report I can find is 4M copies, still making it the highest selling game in PS3 history.

Towels:

Casual Shinji:

MSG4 sold how much? Lowest report I can find is 4M copies, still making it the highest selling game in PS3 history.

And that makes it the best stealth game, how exactly?

Casual Shinji:

Towels:

Casual Shinji:

What else would you like to offer up? Splinter Cell jumped the fucking shark with Conviction, Tenchu did even worse... what would your choice for best stealth game this generation be?

Isn't that because Japan's effing nuts? Katamari is evidence to support that assertion.

Japan is awesome when it gives us games like Shadow of the Colossus. (Kow Otani IS Japanese, right???)

If we do get more...more..."normal" games, not like gray-and-brown-shooters-normal, but not bloody off-the-wall-batcrap-insane type stuff.....then I'll buy more of their stuff...

but what do I know? right?

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

I-Protest-I:
It gladdens my heart to know Japanese games are going down the toilet, they allowed their own games to stagnate.

And quotes like this are why I hope Western gaming follows it down the pan.

Seriously, a stupid amount of the comments on this thread are barely disguised xenophobia. It's really quite disgusting. Japanese games have stagnated no more or less than Western games. You can look at any genre out there now, and the Japanese gaming industry is doing just as much interesting stuff as Western developers.

Third person shooters? While Western developers are all busy aping Gears Of War, Japan gave us Vanquish, without a doubt one of the most inventive TPS games to come out this generation.

Hack and Slash games? Oh please. Japan has owned this genre since forever. Us Westerners got one good stab in there with God Of War, but when they can respond with the likes of Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden, there's no way you can contest the point. We may have cornered FPS games in the West, but Japan still continues to dominate the H&S genre.

Stealth games? Oh my, didn't we get this little game a few years ago called Metal Gear Solid 4? Funny how a supposedly stagnating industry managed to create arguably the best stealth game this generation.

In terms of racing games, Gran Turismo is still one of the leaders of the genre, arguably sharing pole position with FORZA.

In fact, if you look pretty much anywhere away from first-person shooters, you see that Japanese developers are doing just as much to move the medium forward as Western developers. Arguably more when you look at the utterly banal way developers are now simply copying each other wholesale.

And let's address that elephant in the room, the oft maligned JRPG. The fact is that if you can be bothered to acknowledge that there are JRPGS outside of Final Fantasy, Japanese developers are creating some of the absolute best RPGs of this generation. Xenoblade. Dark Souls. The Last Story. All absolutely fantastic games, and about as far as you can get from linear FF-type fare.

It seems to me like there are simply a load of butthurt fanboys who got burned over FFXIII, and are now using outmoded stereotypes to try and legitimise their own prejudices. I find it hilarious and oh so ironic that people try and claim xenophobia on Japan's part as an excuse for their own xenophobia. Sure, because Japan hates the rest of the world so much that it has become one of the commercial trade centres of the world, with Japanese companies now exporting goods all over the world and leading the field in automobiles, consumer electronics, musical instruments... wait!

The Japanese industry is just like any other. There is crap, there is good stuff, and there is amazing stuff. Just because they follow Sturgeon's Law like everyone else, that doesn't somehow make it alright to treat them like a gaming pariah.

Well said sir. You are pure awesome.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Casual Shinji:

Towels:

What else would you like to offer up? Splinter Cell jumped the fucking shark with Conviction, Tenchu did even worse... what would your choice for best stealth game this generation be?

I would offer up Assassin's Creed 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Two games that make me almost forget about Snake and his overly complicated antics.

General BrEeZy:
Isn't that because Japan's effing nuts? Katamari is evidence to support that assertion.

Japan is awesome when it gives us games like Shadow of the Colossus. (Kow Otani IS Japanese, right???)

If we do get more...more..."normal" games, not like gray-and-brown-shooters-normal, but not bloody off-the-wall-batcrap-insane type stuff.....then I'll buy more of their stuff...

Xenoblade, The World Ends with You, Shin Megami Tensei, Ace Attorney theres a lot.

Most of the time the games Japan does with the West are weaker efforts than their own. I feel in a lot of ways they try to listen too much.

Dead Rising 2 for example was not nearly as robust as Dead Rising 1. And the new DMC reboot looks like complete fail.

The Gaming market has expanded tremendously since Japan's heyday. There is no doubt about that. But I would caution Japanese developers into thinking that market is one they would ever be able to crack. I think a lot of their pandering is transparent and ill advised.

RaikuFA:

General BrEeZy:

Xenoblade, The World Ends with You, Shin Megami Tensei, Ace Attorney theres a lot.

I've heard a couple of those, but I trust your word that they're good stuff! I might not get to any of them for years, but thanks.

I wrote it before, I'll write it again.

Nintendo, please go software only.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Stealth games? Oh my, didn't we get this little game a few years ago called Metal Gear Solid 4? Funny how a supposedly stagnating industry managed to create arguably the best stealth game this generation.

Casual Shinji:

Towels:

Casual Shinji:

The original author you quoted was pointing out only the most recent example of a critically acclaimed stealth game to assert that Japan is still quite good at making innovative games.

And I argue that MGS4 is one of the best stealth game by consensus of having one of the highest record sales for the entire Action genre, let alone the stealth sub-genre. Although I was wrong about MOST GROSSING GAME FOR PS3, It is still damn near close. But that's trivial compared to the fact that it is also one of the highest grossing ACTION games for ALL consoles, not just PS3, or even the Stealth sub-genre. In fact the ONLY other stealth games that have surpassed it in sales are OTHER MGS games.

I'm not saying it is THE BEST stealth game. I'm saying its popularity cannot be ignored.

hazabaza1:
So long as we can keep Atlus...

Yeah, about that...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/641695-persona-4-the-golden/62533117
Hopefully Persona 4: The Golden can be released by then, it could probably give them a bit of a boost even if P3P only sold about half as well globally as Persona 4.

Jumendez-sama:

hazabaza1:

Yeah, about that...
Hopefully Persona 4: The Golden can be released by then, it could probably give them a bit of a boost even if P3P only sold about half as well globally as Persona 4.

WHAT
NO
PERSONA 5
NO
WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON MY WORLD HAS BEEN FUCKED UPSIDE DOWN
WHAT

hazabaza1:

Jumendez-sama:

hazabaza1:

Yeah, about that...

WHAT
NO
PERSONA 5
NO
WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON MY WORLD HAS BEEN FUCKED UPSIDE DOWN
WHAT

I'm hoping that if Index does go down, Atlus (who sound like they're doing really well based on what the original poster of that thread said) can pick themselves up and buy the copyright and get back to work, with the only problem being a delay if anything. However, I'd like to hear from the OP himself since he seems to know a lot more about gaming finance than I do (which I know squat about).

EDIT: Atlus could be scooped by another parent company and resume all projects if they were cancelled by Index before Index goes down, so we could still have p4g and Persona 5 even if Index goes down.

This doesn't change, however, that even a critically acclaimed series in places outside Japan is still facing some form of trouble. If a strong series like Persona could be in trouble, then what can we say about the series in Japan that aren't as well received globally?

Funny how people say that Japanese game designers don't take risk, jet hate Nintendo for not being Sony and MS.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution? I dunno. There aren't many good stealth games out there.

Kl4pp5tuhl:
I wrote it before, I'll write it again.

Nintendo, please go software only.

That really is all anyone wants from them anymore. Will we buy Wii U because we like the console? No, we'll buy it because we want Mario and Smash Brothers and all that jazz.

The games japanese Devs created in up to the 16bit era, and somewhat into the PS1 era, were some of the best gaming experiences I can recall from back then. But starting in the PS2 days and well into today, things started to change. The same sort of style of game play was at work, and all I can really say I noticed was the raw power of graphics processing. So powerful, in fact, that games began to become visual masterpieces!

I believe classic style game design that these japanese devs had flaws and cracks. But there were endearing qualities in the visuals that imagination made up for. Chrono Trigger would absolutely not be the same if ported into the modern era, for example (which is not to say it'd be worse). These concealed cracks began to expose themselves when that protective layer of imagination slipped away. When visuals became the mainstay over gameplay and plot, these cracks were big enough to lose yourself in.

Tell me why I'd rather play Dragon Age over Final Fantasy, and I will tell you that the gripping plot and tactical game play takes precedence over flashy visuals. Those I can get from a youtube video at null the cost.

After the Tsunami wrecked japans industry, there's some hard lessons that need to be realized right now, otherwise this could spell the doom for many a studio developing these games.

HOWEVER!

I should mention that if, for whatever reason, Japanese gamers enjoy these style of games more than games from the world over, then that's not wrong. That's just different. I don't get it, and that's fine.

cursedseishi:

Neronium:

As a little side note I wish that Capcom would left Mr. Inafune finish Megaman Legends 3.

Yeah, but that would require Capcom to admit it made a(n obviously) bad choice. And just like they want to believe Bionic Commando was the next sliced bread, they also aren't gonna admit they made a stupid decision with that either.

Hell, the most we are getting as an admission of stupidity is Ninja Theory's Devil May Cry title. At least NT grabbed a more fitting voice actor, gave him some more "Dante-ish" lines, bulked him up a bit more so he isn't some twiggy crackhead, and even appeared to have altered his hair style by a bit.
Capcom would of just plugged their ears and start shouting "Changes? What changes?! There's no changes to Dante!"

Yeah....people tend to have difficulty admitting they're wrong about things. Considering it's Capcom,well....I think this quote best describes the effort of making Capcom admit they're wrong :"You might as well be trying to penetrate reinforced concrete." Especially considering they get RPGs of Bobobo Bo Bobobo,Sgt.Frog, and One Piece while we don't. Why I'm not entirely sure.

General BrEeZy:

I can't agree with this; Some of my favorite japanese games are nutter-butters. Earthbound, core Mario Brothers games, for example. A plumber stomps walking mushrooms to battle some dragon dinosaur thing? AWESOME!

The games designs these days are just not with it. I don't mind weird. I infact enjoy a healthy helping of weird. It's the poor game design I cannot stand.

RaikuFA:

General BrEeZy:

Be on the lookout for One Piece:Pirate Warriors,then. I want to see more games like that (The World Ends With You,Persona,(I'm new to the series.Been playing the first one on my PSP and enjoying it.)a Final Fantasy game I actually want to buy,stuff like that.

GamerMage:

RaikuFA:

General BrEeZy:

Be on the lookout for One Piece:Pirate Warriors,then. I want to see more games like that (The World Ends With You,Persona,(I'm new to the series.Been playing the first one on my PSP and enjoying it.)a Final Fantasy game I actually want to buy,stuff like that.

If you have a PS3, Persona 3 FES hit the PSN this week and we're getting Digital Devil Saga soon. DDS is a Megaten game and it's more like FF and ditches the collecting of demons.

Oh and I LOVE One Piece so I'm getting it.

I don't understand the handheld market. I see these ps vita commercials of people walking to work and walking down the street in general with these clunky handhelds that cost as much as a console acting like its the best thing since water. Who are these people and who has the time to do these things? One thing I think japan doesn't understand about american gamers is we don't necessarily walk around playing games. We have work and families (obviously they do have these things too but their culture is more urban then most of the U.S) and play on the weekends or downtime. Maybe in the city this is popular between train shifts and such but its certainly not the "average" gamer. We don't get involved in their market because it doesn't fit our lifestyles. And since they have kinda shunned the big game title idea we don't really invest in their systems. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone but the market they shoot for is rather niche then the average.

Nevermind the fact that most of their games are goofy and more geared toward children anyway.

That being said, I've enjoyed my fair share of mario and megaman but thats basically looking backward. I don't know the answer but its hard to see the current future as sustainable as Mr. Inafune said.

Casual Shinji:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Casual Shinji:

I would offer up Assassin's Creed 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Two games that make me almost forget about Snake and his overly complicated antics.

I would like to add that Deus Ex: Human Revolution's stealth is also far better than that of MGS 4.

The Japanese game industry just isn't listening to the people that buy their games, They are shooting themselves in the damn foot and you know what, I'm not sad about it. They deserve it, if they haven't changed and evloved by now they never will till they outright fail and have to.

1. Localization. Why is it still taking an average time of 6 months to bring a game outside of Japan?!?! Why are you getting your games ready to be released world wide off the bat, espeically a game you knough your going to bring world wide, and doing that maybe you won't lose great games people would love to have like miles edgeworth 2 because you think " It'll cost to much and won't sell enough"

2. Make the games people actually want. People want mario, when you give them mario it sells like crazy, people want zelda, kirby, pokemon, and hell even to a lesser extented sonic and they still sell. You know what other games you could be making? Megaman, earthbound, dragon quest on something other then the wii ;p pikmin, final fantasy 7 remake, new strider since everyone likes ninjas, god hand.

3. Stop ruining your franchies. They mentioned bionic commando, Final fantasy, Ninja gaiden 3... really that bad, Bad cover art mega man really? no thats not what we want. All so Stop letting Namco and NIS sell people DLC, Tales of grace just came out and over 100 dollars of DLC, REALLY!

4. Open up the damn vault already! You gave everyone the missing Final fantasy, even went out and remade some old classics like ogre tactics and Final fantasy tactics, And even SMT know how to go out of the way and give us Persona 1 with the other half of the game ((snow queen)) and persona 2 IS. Where is mother thought? Where are the missing Tales games, my fatal frame 4 and the dozens of other games that people will buy the hell out of if you took the time and brought them over.

Maybe a nice american company can buy up the pieces... nah it'll probably be EA and they'll fire everyone

They also need to deal with the issue that Japan has a huge issue with doing marketing in the USA that works (or in the sense of Capcom and Konami actually doing some marketing.)

I don't get why people in this thread are acting like "sell games globally" means "only make brown shooters from now on." Just release the RPGs in the states like you used to. Release the quirky rail shooters. Release the frigging dating sims. This isn't hard.

There's an existing and passionate minority of fans who already want to buy the games Japan is already producing, and Japanese companies like Nintendo seem to want to desperately prevent that from happening. Why? Because a Japanese suit says Nintendo equals Family Fun? Dude, Nintendo kind of burned that bridge in the 90's. Conker. Mortal Kombat II. That ship has sailed. Move on.

I mean what the frig? Hire a native English speaker to translate the text and just ship it. Japan gets money. Gamers get diverse games. What's the freaking problem?

Eve Charm:

4. Open up the damn vault already! You gave everyone the missing Final fantasy, even went out and remade some old classics like ogre tactics and Final fantasy tactics, And even SMT know how to go out of the way and give us Persona 1 with the other half of the game ((snow queen)) and persona 2 IS. Where is mother thought? Where are the missing Tales games, my fatal frame 4 and the dozens of other games that people will buy the hell out of if you took the time and brought them over.

Maybe a nice american company can buy up the pieces... nah it'll probably be EA and they'll fire everyone

This has always baffled me because people have been actively pining for these games for decades. They have a real fanbase and due to their age they could be quickly and pretty cheaply made into downloadable or portable titles and sold for pretty good money. Here in the West there has been a great push to keep old classics financially alive as downloadables or available to as many people as possible either freeware or kept alive by the community as abandonware.

I mean look at GoG, look at the app store, look at the PC space. Why are there not floods of beloved rare/previously unreleased games on Wii-ware XBLA PSN Steam etc etc? The industry over there seems to think localization is more expensive than it is, or more trouble then its worth. They don't get the subtle way the market has changed.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

In fact, if you look pretty much anywhere away from first-person shooters, you see that Japanese developers are doing just as much to move the medium forward as Western developers. Arguably more when you look at the utterly banal way developers are now simply copying each other wholesale.

Hm, in what way has the Japanese game industry been moving TBS and RTS genres forward? This is not meant as a flame, I am genuinely interested if there are any interesting Japanese versions of these games that are advancing the medium.

Scrumpmonkey:

Eve Charm:

This has always baffled me because people have been actively pining for these games for decades. They have a real fanbase and due to their age they could be quickly and pretty cheaply made into downloadable or portable titles and sold for pretty good money. Here in the West there has been a great push to keep old classics financially alive as downloadables or available to as many people as possible either freeware or kept alive by the community as abandonware.

I mean look at GoG, look at the app store, look at the PC space. Why are there not floods of beloved rare/previously unreleased games on Wii-ware XBLA PSN Steam etc etc? The industry over there seems to think localization is more expensive than it is, or more trouble then its worth. They don't get the subtle way the market has changed.

(Sorry double post)

I have always been confused by this as well. There is no reason not to release the various games into western markets, as any sales would be pure profit. Localizing I suppose could cost a bit if you try to voice everything out, but you could save a ton by just cutting out voices and using English subtitles if that was the concern.

I think their marketing folk over there must just be braindead or something.

FelixG:

Scrumpmonkey:

Eve Charm:

(Sorry double post)

I have always been confused by this as well. There is no reason not to release the various games into western markets, as any sales would be pure profit. Localizing I suppose could cost a bit if you try to voice everything out, but you could save a ton by just cutting out voices and using English subtitles if that was the concern.

It's not just the cost of localizing. If you want it to sell anything at all, you have to market the shit out of a game, which is never cheap. Plus you also have the extra manufacturing costs, as no publisher is going to export anything less than 20,000 (or similar number) of a game to a new territory. It just wouldn't be worth the production costs.

Japanese devs and publishers aren't trying to spite the rest of the world. Releasing games, even old games, in other territories is expensive. Hugely expensive. If the game sells, then whoopee, you get a return on your investment. But if it doesn't, all of a sudden you've got a great big hole in your finances. And for many developers and publishers, the games they have released simply haven't sold enough to warrant further exports.

FelixG:

The thing is, there are a LOT of pre voice acting games that simply NEVER came out over here. I don't mean they came out too late, or in an odd version, no, they NEVER came out outside of JP at all. It would cost almost nothing to bring them out, especially games like Mother, infact some of them already have viable fan translations so there is no time issue here.

You could just put them up on Wii-Ware or XBLA with little or no effort or expenditure. Honestly i think part of the reason might be they think 'The West' is unworthy or unable to appreciate these japanese classics.

Inafune is right, The Japanese game industry has a HUGELY inflated sense of its own self importance and thinks they are still the unassailable pinnacle of game design and that everyone else basically has trash ideas. There is a real resistance to ideas that come from outside, i mean look at Final Fantasy 14; it felt like it was developed in a bubble where no MMOs had been made sine FF11. They refused to acknowledge that the west has the MMO market by the balls and they need to incorporate some of those updated systems.

It is sad how this Gen Japan has fallen drastically behind western developers. On the PS2 just about all my games were developed in Japan. This Gen I haven't kept any Japanese games. I was stoked for MvC III but Capcom laid a big turd in my lap with the lackluster roster.

Also is it me or do JPN's developers not know how to develop/market/price DLC worth a crap?

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

FelixG:

Scrumpmonkey:

(Sorry double post)

It's not just the cost of localizing. If you want it to sell anything at all, you have to market the shit out of a game, which is never cheap. Plus you also have the extra manufacturing costs, as no publisher is going to export anything less than 20,000 (or similar number) of a game to a new territory. It just wouldn't be worth the production costs.

Japanese devs and publishers aren't trying to spite the rest of the world. Releasing games, even old games, in other territories is expensive. Hugely expensive. If the game sells, then whoopee, you get a return on your investment. But if it doesn't, all of a sudden you've got a great big hole in your finances. And for many developers and publishers, the games they have released simply haven't sold enough to warrant further exports.

Ok I can understand those points, but that doesn't hold true for the older series of games, especially in an age when you can digitally distribute these items for next to nothing. (Especially if its on your own device/service.)

FelixG:

Ok I can understand those points, but that doesn't hold true for the older series of games, especially in an age when you can digitally distribute these items for next to nothing. (Especially if its on your own device/service.)

...which is why we're seeing older titles likes Vagrant Story, Legend Of Mana and Chrono Trigger being re-released over PSN and Xbox Live.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here