Valve Hiring For Help With Hardware

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Valve Hiring For Help With Hardware

Valve may have some kind of secret hardware plan up its sleeve after all.

Back in March, rumors crawled up from the deep about some kind of "Steam Box" console-type thing Valve was secretly working on, a Core i7 rig with 8GB RAM, an Nvidia GPU and the ability to run multiple online gaming services. Those of us who found the whole thing rather dubious pointed out that it sounded very much like Valve was trying to invent the PC, but a job posting for an electrical engineer suggests that there might be something going on behind the scenes after all.

"For years, Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we're developing hardware to enhance those experiences, and you can be a key part of making that happen," it says. "Join our highly motivated team that's doing hardware design, prototyping, testing, and production across a wide range of platforms. We're not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here - help us invent whole new gaming experiences."

Boom! Valve console, right? Well, no. You're not necessarily building a car just because you need to hire a mechanic and in fact, Doug Lombardi's original denial of a Valve console still holds water. "We're prepping the Steam Big Picture Mode UI and getting ready to ship that, so we're building boxes to test that on," he said at the time. "We're also doing a bunch of different experiments with biometric feedback and stuff like that, which we've talked about a fair amount."

Which doesn't mean that Valve doesn't have something very cool in the works, but a full-blown, brand-new console? My dubiosity remains.

via: Engadget

I don't think they would make a console, they might be working on a specialty pc kind of thing though.

Worgen:
I don't think they would make a console, they might be working on a specialty pc kind of thing though.

Yeah I think its more in line with this... which would still be pretty sweet.

How's about a full-blown, brand-new PC?

Worgen:

Doesn't matter. In three hours, this will be blown into "Gabe Newell personally promises new Steam console by end of year."

DVS BSTrD:
How's about a full-blown, brand-new PC?

It'll be just like the competition, but fans will scream and cry foul at anything else!

Wait, I think we already have that in the computer market. It's called a Mac.

I could see them make a PC, which could then be the "standard" game PC. A PC that is mass produced and live up to the requirements of a modern day gaming PC, that every game on Steam can run on.
They could then work on new generations (say every 2 or 3 years) and games could get a "tag" saying what version they'll run on while also guaranteeing full compatibility with older versions.

Given it's Valve it'll probably just have windows (maybe slightly costumized), so that their costumers can use it like they use any other PC.
It should also feature good support for TV connections and console controllers.

Wharep:
I could see them make a PC, which could then be the "standard" game PC. A PC that is mass produced and live up to the requirements of a modern day gaming PC, that every game on Steam can run on.
They could then work on new generations (say every 2 or 3 years) and games could get a "tag" saying what version they'll run on while also guaranteeing full compatibility with older versions.

Given it's Valve it'll probably just have windows (maybe slightly costumized), so that their costumers can use it like they use any other PC.
It should also feature good support for TV connections and console controllers.

Ever heard of Alienware? Valve cant go toe to toe with Dell, its isn't big enough. Dell is at least 10 times the size of Valve and already has in place world wide distribution system where as valve uses EA to to put boxes on shelves.

They're trolling, move along, nothing to see here.

It sounds more like they're going to try and re-invent the controls.
It makes sense, since many of us hook our pcs up to the tv now and not just for games.

It would be cool if it were a new console, mainly because I think that it would be interesting to see another company enter the console wars.

Gah, I almost forgot, nintendo said they would let publishers or devs or whatever, do things with the online component of the WiiU, maybe valve is gearing up to make steam for it.

Consoles are getting more PC-like, and the graphic/sound infrastructure for PCs is getting more standardized like consoles.

It's a good time for something that's halfway between a console and a PC to come out, I think.

What about that Razer Hydra device? Could this be Valve comming out with specialized controllers instead? Or how about this quote: "across a wide range of platforms. We're not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here - help us invent whole new gaming experiences."

Valve console? No. Valve Controllers ala something more virtual reality thing? Sure.

This sounds to me like Valve is wanting to explore the methods of interaction with the game - whether by controls or visuals. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Zero Serenity:
What about that Razer Hydra device? Could this be Valve comming out with specialized controllers instead? Or how about this quote: "across a wide range of platforms. We're not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here - help us invent whole new gaming experiences."

Valve console? No. Valve Controllers ala something more virtual reality thing? Sure.

Agreed. I'm sure this is about their biometrics peripherals they've been talking about. They even said that they would release them themselves if they had to...looks like they had to.

I'm excited to see some of that stuff in action, they're pretty confident that they're on to something with it.

I'm stealing that word.

Dubiosity.

It is mine now.

I don't think that valve designing a 'steam box' is so far-fetched. Rumors keep popping up that the next-gen consoles will work on a system similar to digital distribution.

So who better than the company who has had the digital distribution world on lockdown for the past decade?

it could also be why they refuse to talk about HL3, they might announce it as a launch title for their new console.

at least that's my guess anyway.

Like many said, I doubt that it's a new console. A new gamepad with biofeedback on the other hand seems much more likely.

The age of the SteamBox is upon us! I'm so giddy!

You know, we should have a rumours thread for this thing!

If they do this, and they make it cheap enough I'll definitely just buy this instead of a Gen 8 console. Unless this doesn't allow mods (the main reason I want a gaming rig) in which case I'll just save up and get a PC.

HALF-LIFE 2 EPISODE 3: A STEAM BOX EXCLUSIVE.

I'm wondering if most people are even reading the news post, let alone the job posting.

Why is the topic of a "Steam Box" even still coming up? The job posting mentions nothing on working on crafting a new gaming platform. It talks about envisioning and inventing a new method of interaction for games(software).

Seems fairly obvious to me that the "house that Gaben built" wants to design and produce a peripheral gaming device. Most likely one that takes advantage of the biometric-feedback technology they've been testing with in-house.

This, personally, is more exciting to me than some PC-console hybrid.

captcha: watch out

Hmm...a warning of ill omen or cautious excitement?

it's very clearly a new smart phone, built with it's own steam and games specifically for it. so basically it'll be the indie section of steam on a phone, with a few badly put together knock offs of computer games

A console designed like a companion cube. Millions will be sold.

Whatever Valve has in the works to put out something like this it must be significant in some way.

Maybe E3 shall reveal all.

CrossLOPER:

"Get the steam box for 1500$! Bundle deal, get Steam Box with Half Life 3 for 2500$!"

CrossLOPER:

Okay, that would be a dick move. Of course, I doubt Valve, with its PC-friendly reputation, would consider that, assuming they plan to get into the console market at all. This seems like rumors on top of rumors at best. Valve also heavily supports the mod community which consoles don't do, although I suppose that could change provided they don't use proprietary encoding like the current gen, but then it would just be a gaming PC.

Worgen:

I'd be more inclined to believe this if anything at all.

grigjd3:
This sounds to me like Valve is wanting to explore the methods of interaction with the game - whether by controls or visuals. I wouldn't read too much into it.

This seems like the most plausible explanation, but we'll just have to wait see what they're cooking up.

TheMann:

CrossLOPER:

Okay, that would be a dick move. Of course, I doubt Valve, with its PC-friendly reputation, would consider that, assuming they plan to get into the console market at all. This seems like rumors on top of rumors at best. Valve also heavily supports the mod community which consoles don't do, although I suppose that could change provided they don't use proprietary encoding like the current gen, but then it would just be a gaming PC.

Worgen:

I'd be more inclined to believe this if anything at all.

grigjd3:

This seems like the most plausible explanation, but we'll just have to wait see what they're cooking up.

Wait no longer, good sir, for all has been revealed. And by the famous Michael Abrash, no less!

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/

You know what would be cool? A way for console peasants to play with the PC master race via the Internet

Evil Smurf:
You know what would be cool? A way for console peasants to play with the PC master race via the Internet

That's already possible... it just isn't done.

The 3 major issues are:

1 - the console network owners don't like PCs getting anywhere near their walled gardens as they see it as a security risk.

2 - different game types favour different control schemes... less of an issue these days, at least for games that favour controllers... but try a game type that favours kb+m and you're going to get very lopsided gameplay without massive handicaps.

3 - probably the most important one, to be done properly the game has to be designed from the ground up as multi-platform not 'one main platform and we'll port everything else'... that results in shit we see like PS3 framerate chokes, sloppy PC control implementation and so on.

Worgen:

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo release platforms = consoles!

Valve releases same mass-assembled platform = "specialty PC"?

Aye, my initial thoughts upon reading this were of that other project they've got going on- Steam on the TV n' all.

Ah, gawrsh drattit. I'm entering an Electronics Engineering course this year. I won't be ready for two years.

Sounds more like they're trying to develop peripherals for PCs and consoles.

ResonanceGames:

Wait no longer, good sir, for all has been revealed. And by the famous Michael Abrash, no less!

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/

Thanks for that link, that was a great read.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here