Crysis 3 Welcomes Players Back to the (Urban) Jungle

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hunt aliens with a bow in Crytek's newest sandbox shooter.

Although the surprise was kind of already spoiled just a few days ago, Electronic Arts has officially announced Crysis 3 in a press releases posted on its website. The sandbox shooter is scheduled to arrive sometime in spring of 2013 for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

Set in 2047, Crysis 3's story stars Prophet, a character from the first Crysis, undertaking a mission of vengeance against the corrupt Cell Corporation in New York City and its quarantined "Liberty Dome". Along with exploring an "urban rainforest teeming with overgrown trees, dense swamplands and raging rivers," players will also be able to wield a variety of weapons both human and alien, the most notable of which is a deadly compound bow that I'm hoping will shoot explosive arrows.

Although over a year out, Crysis 3 is already available for pre-order through Origin for $59.99 USD (a bit of an increase from the price revealed in the leak). Various retailers will also be offering differing pre-order "Packs", which will include a variety of multiplayer bonuses.

Source: EA.com

I was under the impression that Prophet died at the very beginning of Crysis 2. If that's true then what is he doing here?

EDIT Question answered

Nomad was the protagonist in the first Crysis. Prophet was the squad leader who disappeared and returned later in the game after the aliens started to spread their frost over the island, giving the player (Nomad) his ice shard gun.

Prophet was (sort of, kinda) the protagonist in the second game, however. Don't wanna spoil the specifics for those that (still) haven't played it.

EDIT: Article was corrected.

YUS!

Crysis is probably my favorite FPS series ever. It makes me so very happy that they're continuing to make more, though that happiness is dependent on what changes they'll be making. Seriously, though, the single player is awesome, and it's the only FPS multiplayer that I've actually had fun playing in.

Matthew94:
I was under the impression that Prophet died at the very beginning of Crysis 2. If that's true then what is he doing here?

Well, it's kind of a spoiler, but since they've already spilled the beans, might as well give the whole story: the suit downloaded a copy of Prophet's brain into its systems before he died, and it... activated him... before the end of the game. So Prophet lives on through Alcatraz. Sort of.

It's a little confusing.

Now if only they can release the full game on release, instead of waiting 3 months before the DX 11 patch. Sadly it will probably only be on Origin, another sale lost for EA...

I was thinking the same thing...*SPOILER* Prophet: "Remember me" *BANG*

Also, there is no mention of this being a prequel that i can see, maybe it's Alcatraz again? He did assume Prophet's identity for a while in Crysis 2

Urban Jungle?! Count me disinterested.

Matthew94:

Tahaneira:
Well, it's kind of a spoiler, but since they've already spilled the beans, might as well give the whole story: the suit downloaded a copy of Prophet's brain into its systems before he died, and it... activated him... before the end of the game. So Prophet lives on through Alcatraz. Sort of.

It's a little confusing.

So I guess you could say he's having a little bit of an...

*puts on sunglasses*

... Identity Crisis?

Fuck.......guess I better go play Crysis 2 so I can read this thread without having it spoiled for me.

Looking forward to it. I liked the 2nd game, not as much as the first, but I still liked it.

Well, I guess it's up to Bioware now. If they fix ME3 I'll be able to buy EA games again. If not, who gives a shit. I have stupid friends who will buy anything. I can play through their accounts.

Who wants to bet they won't have the balls to release it exclusively on Origin for PC?

Love Crysis games, but requires Origin, so pass...

You had me at "urban rainforest."

I love the direction shooters are taking these days in terms of environments. And with a bow with explosive arrows to boot? Time to enter Rambo mode.

Adam Jensen:
Well, I guess it's up to Bioware now. If they fix ME3 I'll be able to buy EA games again. If not, who gives a shit. I have stupid friends who will buy anything. I can play through their accounts.

Who wants to bet they won't have the balls to release it exclusively on Origin for PC?

What exactly do BioWare's design decisions regarding ME3 have to do with Crytek's Crysis 3? And isn't what you're suggesting, playing through your friend's account, incredibly hypocritical?

By now you already know if you are going to be buying this game or not, so I don't get what's with the people who say "pass" or "no thanks" just to stir up trouble.

The story is sort of contrived, but the gameplay is wicked fun in this series. Not to mention the musical score, which never gets due respect. This might be a day one buy for me, unless another game developer learns to count to 3 between here and then.

Pass.

Roboto:
By now you already know if you are going to be buying this game or not, so I don't get what's with the people who say "pass" or "no thanks" just to stir up trouble.

The story is sort of contrived, but the gameplay is wicked fun in this series. Not to mention the musical score, which never gets due respect. This might be a day one buy for me, unless another game developer learns to count to 3 between here and then.

We're doing it to attract people like you. To lure you into our traps, to offend you in as many ways as it is humanly possible, and then feed on your tears.

Why do you say anything around here? Don't you know whether you're going to buy the game or not?

Cowabungaa:
You had me at "urban rainforest."

I love the direction shooters are taking these days in terms of environments. And with a bow with explosive arrows to boot? Time to enter Rambo mode.

I think it's more Turok than Rambo =P

also

Matthew94:

It depends on how you interpret the ending. Yes prophet did die at the beginning of Crysis 2 so that Alcatraz could wear the suit, but later on it's revealed that there is a digital copy of Prophet's mind in the suit so technically he is still alive. At the very end of the game there is his guy that contacts you over the radio and asks for your name and Alcatraz/Prophet responses by saying, "They call me...Prophet."

Nano-domes? Cell corporation taking over the world?...

The more this series progresses, the less sense its story makes. But honestly who gives a damn about story in a Crytek game.

Also Crytek, please drop the "TACTICAL OPTIONS AVAILABLE" nonsense, talk about killing any sense of exploration and discovery if the designers are going to highlight the alternate paths in neon, glowing yellow font.

I really liked this kind of "city reclaimed by nature" approach in "enslaved" so hopefully it works well here too.

Sounds awesome, just the environment I have been waiting in a game.

WMDogma:

Hunt aliens with a bow in Crytek's newest sandbox shooter.

Is this right, as Crysis 2 was hardly a 'Sandbox' game.....

As long as it doesn't screw up the suit for the sake of playability on consoles and goes for a more sandbox experience like the original game, I'm in.

I LOVE jungle atmospheres and it shuts up everyone complaining about "brown shooters".

They seem to look at their past continuities like they were looking at them through broken glass; it all kinda fits, but you're left with something still pretty fucking jumbled up staring back at you.

I mean, I guess it sounds like less of a retcon overhaul than the first but it still doesn't sound like it actually fits (and the last game's plot was silly enough as it was).

And can we have an actual sandbox this time? Or at least the first half of Crysis' level of openness. I want to be leaping from skyscraper rooftops, not running about in 3-story car parks.

Oh, and bring back the non-retarded suit. In real life that'd have been called the Nanosuit Lite, 2.0 suggests its an actual improvement in some sense.

And I hope there's actually a variation in environments, because those screens could be from a lot of things at the minute. Even the first Wastelander 2 concept art looks the same as that.

And make weapon customisation non-retarded again. I seem to remember Crysis 2 having multiple versions of the same fucking gun just so that I couldn't have a grenade launcher and a silencer attached at once.

... So I guess I'm not particularly bowled over with excitement.

Adam Jensen:

EA don't own CryTek, they help fund them through EA Partners.

Griever:
I was thinking the same thing...*SPOILER* Prophet: "Remember me" *BANG*

Also, there is no mention of this being a prequel that i can see, maybe it's Alcatraz again? He did assume Prophet's identity for a while in Crysis 2

The idea was that he was Prophet at the end of Crysis 2. Don't make me explain it because it's ridiculous, but Alcatraz and Prophet are one and the same.

The last 2 games also took place in the 2020s, whilst this is the 2040s, so no chance of being a prequel.

WMDogma:

Huh? So soon?

Crysis 2 was in development for like, a good 3,4 years, and still it was short. Now they're doing Crysis 3 in just half of the time spent on the second one???

I smell another Dragon age 2.....

MAXIMUM Consolification!

Oh hey. They increased the price by $10 for no reason.

That's cute, EA.

Absolutionis:

That's cute, EA.

Ummm dude, that's in DOLLARS! EA have actually decreased the price by 10 dollars, from 60 to 50 dollars. Please stop trying to find things to bash EA on and just enjoy the announcement of a new crysis.

ToastiestZombie:

Absolutionis:

That's cute, EA.

Ummm dude, that's in DOLLARS! EA have actually decreased the price by 10 dollars, from 60 to 50 dollars. Please stop trying to find things to bash EA on and just enjoy the announcement of a new crysis.

Yes, that is in dollars.

$49.99 (original revealed price and normal PC game price) + $10 (increase) = $59.99 (current price)

I'm going to assume this is a simple mistake on your part and your perception of time is backwards.

Additionally, I'll stop stumbling upon reasons EA deserves bashing when EA stops doing things like this.

Matthew94:

Absolutionis:

ToastiestZombie:

Absolutionis:

That's cute, EA.

Yes, that is in dollars.

$49.99 (original revealed price and normal PC game price) + $10 (increase) = $59.99 (current price)

I'm going to assume this is a simple mistake on your part and your perception of time is backwards.

Additionally, I'll stop stumbling upon reasons EA deserves bashing when EA stops doing things like this.

Oh damn, that was a mistake on my part. Move along people.
Well here in the UK it will probably be 35 pounds at launch, which is the same for Skyrim on PC.

ToastiestZombie:
Well here in the UK it will probably be 35 pounds at launch, which is the same for Skyrim on PC.

Skyrim also costs $60 USD on PC :P

Agayek:

ToastiestZombie:

Skyrim also costs $60 USD on PC :P

Well then really, that guy doesn't have much to complain about. Crysis 3 is going to be a MASSIVE game for EA the same as Skyrim was a MASSIVE game for bethesda, it's fine if they want to price it that high.

Ah, I see the aliens are still pink jellyfish in silvery exoskeletons. Lovely, the one thing I really, really hated about Crysis 2.

ToastiestZombie:
Well then really, that guy doesn't have much to complain about. Crysis 3 is going to be a MASSIVE game for EA the same as Skyrim was a MASSIVE game for bethesda, it's fine if they want to price it that high.

The complaint isn't "oh dear, my value per dollar has been destroyed!" (though that does play a part in it). The complaint is that PC games generally cost $50 USD, and console games cost $60. Recently, PC games have started raising their prices to match. Skyrim, RAGE, Mass Effect 3, this and a few others have all started it, and it's becoming more and more common.

Plus there's the whole "they leaked it with a price tag of $50, but then it's suddenly higher, wtf" aspect.

As for the game itself, I'm cautiously optimistic. Crysis and Crysis Warhead are my favorite shooters of all time, and I enjoyed Crysis 2 quite a bit. I'm hopeful that 3 will come together well, and the screenshots here are making me interested. I've always liked the post-apocalypse "cities reclaimed by nature" thing as a setting, and it would be a really good way to introduce Crysis 1 style sandboxing into the more structured setting of Crysis 2. Here's to hoping anyway.

Also, they really need to support DX11 at launch.

I believe it's just going to be sequel to Crysis 2 rather then Crysis.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here