Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Ends With a Bang

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Ends With a Bang

Wasteland 2 has $3 million in funding and that means big things ahead.

It was a close shave, but when the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter came to a close a couple of hours ago, the mythical $3 million mark had been hit. The Kickstarter page itself doesn't reflect that fact, registering an oh-so-painfully-close $2,933,197, but if you have a peek at Inxile's Wasteland 2 site, you'll notice that donations taken via PayPal, which were opened after the Kickstarter goal was achieve, add up to another $110,703. Grand total: $3,043,900!

It's good news for gamers because earlier this month, as the money kept piling up, Wasteland 2 mastermind Brian Fargo explained that hitting a couple of ridiculously high funding plateaus would lead to even bigger and better things for the game. Achieving $2.5 million in funding would allow for the addition of more designers and scripters, meaning a bigger, deeper game world with more storylines and player options, more NPC portraits and equipment art and an expanded music budget, he said, while $3 million would increase the scope of the game even further and also bring the possibility of a simultaneous mod kit release into the picture, which is a pretty huge deal in itself.

It was a scrape to get by, but they - and we - made it, and while pre-production began earlier this month, now the real work gets underway. The $3 million in funding means that Wasteland 2 will also be made for Linux and Mac as well as Windows PCs, and Fargo said the team will continue to put up polls in the Wasteland 2 forums to get a feel for what fans want added to the game. "The bottom line is that this kind of budget ensures that Wasteland 2 is BIGGER than Wasteland 1," he wrote.

The Wasteland 2 team is currently aiming for a release in late 2013.

WOOOOAHH!

Well done everyone who contributed.

Now begins the long and painful wait for it to be released :D

Here's hoping most of that actually DOES make it to development.

How much of that will go due to the rewards and fees? Maybe we didn't get there after all...

The Artificially Prolonged:
WOOOOAHH!

For real. This is going to be a long wait XP

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.369828-Wateland-2-Kickstarter-finished-with-a-total-of-3-04-million-Now-coming-with-mod-kits#14334516

I was faster escapist, fassssssssssssssssssssster.

OT I'll say it again "I think the game did well to come so close to the $3.3m set by Double Fine and the fact they only needed $1,000,000 originally means that hopefully the game will get the proper amount of polish for it's oct 2013 release date.

Mod kits should be awesome as Fallout 1 and 2 have only survived due to mods as they are pretty much unplayable without community patches like the high res mods and various patches. Hopefully we see a repeat of that here."

I did my part including adding $15 for shipping to Canada.

DVS BSTrD:
Here's hoping most of that actually DOES make it to development.

I think Brian fargo did a fairly smart thing with making a number of the lower end rewards digital which will help with the 'take-home' end of the cash. The other thing is that the team doing WL2 is made up of seasoned veterans as opposed to the Star Command crew which looks to me to be a fairly new start up and would have hopefully had fairly reasonable budgets in mind before hand.

I'm just hoping that if they decide to build WL2 for the iOS that Android is considered as well (tablet versions not for phones).

I wonder just how similar it will be to Fallout? Not that it should be; I know Fallout is the spiritual successor, but they're two separate franchises in their own right now. But considering how much overlap of the staff between the two series, I daresay the similarities won't stop at "post-apocalyptic setting". I just hope it doesn't go in the complete opposite direction and take itself too seriously. At any rate, I'm super pumped for this, and can't wait for release!

This day can't get any better =D

I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS

Andy Chalk:
It was a scrape to get by, but they - and we - made it,

Andy, this is me accusing you of having an agenda because you have an interest in the project, just like you have shares in GOG.com. OUTRAGEOUS!

That's a decent amount of money the project raised, I'm quite impressed. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

God yes! This game is going to be pure awesome, and the mod kit will only make it more so.

Time to dance

Andronicus:
I wonder just how similar it will be to Fallout? Not that it should be; I know Fallout is the spiritual successor, but they're two separate franchises in their own right now. But considering how much overlap of the staff between the two series, I daresay the similarities won't stop at "post-apocalyptic setting". I just hope it doesn't go in the complete opposite direction and take itself too seriously. At any rate, I'm super pumped for this, and can't wait for release!

From what I've gathered, it is going to be super serious, and having no publishers, will seriously address the 18+ issues that would be prevalent in a post-apocalyptic environment... along with some dark humour of course.

OT: :D

Now is the time for Fargo to pull the tactical EVE Online move and disappear somewhere in the Bahamas.

If he does stick around (maybe because of this being a good person and karma stuff and such), I must admit that I'm a little worried that this might have a negative impact on any future Bethesda Fallout release (like axing it due to new competition / too much apocalypse on the market, etc.). I mean Beths Fallout is almost the perfect post-apocalyptic game I want to play, so I'm not sure how Wasteland intends to improve / beat that.

Adding drivable vehicles (such as the giant Skorpion-Tank thing on the picture) would be a good start though.

Richardplex:

Andronicus:

From what I've gathered, it is going to be super serious, and having no publishers, will seriously address the 18+ issues that would be prevalent in a post-apocalyptic environment... along with some dark humour of course.

Especially since Avellone is onboard. I do believe I need a change of pants, they seem to have spontaneously become sticky after that nerdgasm.

And now we play the waiting game... until October... of next year. Still worth the wait though.

Now the long wait....
Godspeed InXile. Deliver a great game.

Richardplex:

Andronicus:

I would also assume from the concept art, unlike Fallout, this will be set in our post-apocalyptic world, as oppose to Fallouts "stuck in the 50s" world.

It better be exactly like the first one.

In fact, I'm gonna go get my Commodore out of storage while they're working on the game.

Having played the original WL on my PCjr back in 1987, I remembered even Wasteland having plenty of humor, if not off the wall zany like some of Fallout 2 or parts of Fallout 3.

I'm hoping they keep the features and graphics tight while focusing on the depth and breadth of gameplay. Part of the problem with so many AAA games is blowing millions on flash and frills, but forgetting that there's supposed to be a game in there.

Tiamat666:
If he does stick around (maybe because of this being a good person and karma stuff and such), I must admit that I'm a little worried that this might have a negative impact on any future Bethesda Fallout release (like axing it due to new competition / too much apocalypse on the market, etc.). I mean Beths Fallout is almost the perfect post-apocalyptic game I want to play, so I'm not sure how Wasteland intends to improve / beat that.

Adding drivable vehicles (such as the giant Skorpion-Tank thing on the picture) would be a good start though.

I doubt Wasteland 2 would have any effect whatsoever on Bethesda's Fallout. They are completely different games. The only thing they really have in common is that they are both post-apocalyptic.

WanderingFool:

Richardplex:

Andronicus:

I would also assume from the concept art, unlike Fallout, this will be set in our post-apocalyptic world, as oppose to Fallouts "stuck in the 50s" world.

Actually, to stay true to the era of Wasteland, it should be stuck in the 80s. :)

Richardplex:

Andronicus:

Ah, good. Dark humour is certainly well up my alley. Now all I need to worry about is what will come first: Wasteland 2, or Australia's 18+ rating for games...

Honestly I think a majority of these kickstarter projects will end up in a disaster.

If the companies that actually know how to predict sales think these games will tank, then that's kind of a bad sign.

It's like a guy going to a bank for a loan to start up his new business and the bank says no because they think the business will fail. Would you be like "oh the experts at the bank said this would fail, here's 3 million have fun." I doubt it. 4/5ths of all businesses fail in the first few years, and I wonder what percentage of games fail.

Rabid Toilet:

Tiamat666:

I doubt Wasteland 2 would have any effect whatsoever on Bethesda's Fallout. They are completely different games. The only thing they really have in common is that they are both post-apocalyptic.

Wasteland was the inspiration for the original Fallout, anything that Bethesda has done with was just taking it further into the FPS/RPG mode from an isometric turn based game.

The impression I got was that WL2 was going to go along those lines as opposed to what Fallout currently is.

Antitonic:
How much of that will go due to the rewards and fees? Maybe we didn't get there after all...

Most likely a million, thats how much double fine lost to fees and rewards, so they were left with about 2.2 mil when it was all said and done.

godofallu:
Honestly I think a majority of these kickstarter projects will end up in a disaster.

If the companies that actually know how to predict sales think these games will tank, then that's kind of a bad sign.

It's like a guy going to a bank for a loan to start up his new business and the bank says no because they think the business will fail. Would you be like "oh the experts at the bank said this would fail, here's 3 million have fun." I doubt it. 4/5ths of all businesses fail in the first few years, and I wonder what percentage of games fail.

I would think the pedigree of Brian Fargo and his experience in the industry would give him a much clearer idea as to how to use the money generated effectively. Granted the Tim Schafer kickstart project would be another I would have felt comfortable in putting cash into as well if I wanted to.

You're right in saying that there will be a number of projects that have a greater potential to fail shortly out of the gates but that's the same in any business. Kickstarter is basically venture capital funding (high risk)for the masses on a small investment scale unlike those shown on Dragon's Den or Shark Tank on TV which present ideas for a big pay day.

while some of these kickstarters will be a risk and will fail. once you look through the teams you have a pile of good old school game developers who know what they are doing, those are the people who will succeed. NOW GIVE ME MY GAME !

Oh hells yeah. Good to see them succeed. And us get more bang for our buck too. :D More quests? A deeper world? A mod kit? Yes please.

Andronicus:

Well Brian Fargo was pretty clear in the ripten interview that anything specifically Fallout belongs to Bethesda now so they'll be careful there. Considering a lot of what made Fallout unique was in reaction to not being able to use the Wasteland license, I don't really see it being a problem. With Wasteland they had a good idea of the world they built.

As far as humour, anyone who remembers the Agricultural Center with it's 30ft broccoli forests, alliterating pears, rampaging 'varmints' and killer bunnies knows you've got nothing to worry about. Wasteland will deliver lols and post-apocalyptic gut-punches in equal measure.

So, your avatar ... is that a drop-bear?

;)

godofallu:

To the contrary, these projects are already more likely to "succeed" if you judge success by making a profit. When a developer accepts publisher money to make a game they are instantly in the hole for that amount of cash. In addition to the publisher getting to dictate how that money is spent and forcing focus-group led compromises and changes to design. There are also many examples out there of how publisher involvement hugely inflates development cost. Worse, the development money is actually an advance on revenue, the small percentage of each sale which actually gets back to them. Meaning they won't see any profit from sales until the publisher has recovered it's investment. So most small studios have to have other projects already lined up as soon as the game ships, so they can keep the lights on and their staff employed.

With Kickstarter the fans have paid the development costs up front. The backers keep a bunch of devs employed for the next year and a half, then any sales of the finished product are instantly profitable. Even if they only sell some paltry amount, let's say 10k copies at $20 on Steam (I'd imagine it would cost more), it doesn't matter. That's still $200k worth of sales that go immediately into their pocket! And let's be honest, a game of this pedigree is quite likely to sell a lot better than that. If 50 thousand people purchase the game that's a million they get to put directly into the next project. Now they can go and do whatever they want. Unadulterated profits are coming in to pay the bills and keep everyone on staff and they get to plan their next project on their own terms. Maybe they want to do a sequel to their game? Well now they can, they don't have to ask anyone's permission because the IP/brand belongs to them. They have the creative control.

UnderGlass:

Andronicus:

Well Brian Fargo was pretty clear in the ripten interview that anything specifically Fallout belongs to Bethesda now so they'll be careful there. Considering a lot of what made Fallout unique was in reaction to not being able to use the Wasteland license, I don't really see it being a problem. With Wasteland they had a good idea of the world they built.

As far as humour, anyone who remembers the Agricultural Center with it's 30ft broccoli forests, alliterating pears, rampaging 'varmints' and killer bunnies knows you've got nothing to worry about. Wasteland will deliver lols and post-apocalyptic gut-punches in equal measure.

;)

I am aware that Fallout and Wasteland are very much segregated in regards to intellectual property now. I haven't actually played the original Wasteland though, so killer bunnies and broccoli forests is a very welcome prospect. I never expected it to be Fallout; I just hoped it wasn't going to go completely dark and gritty and humourless.

Also no, it's not a dropbear, and anyone who shows you a picture of one is a liar; noone's seen one with their own eyes and lived to describe it.
As for the picture, dunno if you know it, but it's one of the characters from Raskulls, which is an Australian game too, so makes sense to throw a koala in there :)

Fappy:

The Artificially Prolonged:
WOOOOAHH!

For real. This is going to be a long wait XP

I survived the Duke Nukem: Forever development, I have the patience of a god in flesh.
Wasteland 2 has nothing on me.

(And oh, that needs to be on a t-shirt).

UnderGlass:

godofallu:

To the contrary, these projects are already more likely to "succeed" if you judge success by making a profit. When a developer accepts publisher money to make a game they are instantly in the hole for that amount of cash. In addition to the publisher getting to dictate how that money is spent and forcing focus-group led compromises and changes to design. There are also many examples out there of how publisher involvement hugely inflates development cost. Worse, the development money is actually an advance on revenue, the small percentage of each sale which actually gets back to them. Meaning they won't see any profit from sales until the publisher has recovered it's investment. So most small studios have to have other projects already lined up as soon as the game ships, so they can keep the lights on and their staff employed.

With Kickstarter the fans have paid the development costs up front. The backers keep a bunch of devs employed for the next year and a half, then any sales of the finished product are instantly profitable. Even if they only sell some paltry amount, let's say 10k copies at $20 on Steam (I'd imagine it would cost more), it doesn't matter. That's still $200k worth of sales that go immediately into their pocket! And let's be honest, a game of this pedigree is quite likely to sell a lot better than that. If 50 thousand people purchase the game that's a million they get to put directly into the next project. Now they can go and do whatever they want. Unadulterated profits are coming in to pay the bills and keep everyone on staff and they get to plan their next project on their own terms. Maybe they want to do a sequel to their game? Well now they can, they don't have to ask anyone's permission because the IP/brand belongs to them. They have the creative control.

Only problem that I see is..How many will buy the game? 35.000 backers, and most (gonna go with atleast 20.000 of them) already own the game (i.e have backed with more than 15 bucks), so those won't be buying the game. If 50.000 in addition to these 20k buy the game, then yes, they will make a million..But that's 2 million less than what they have right now. I.e they would have to sell 150k copies just to reach the funding they have for this project. And how often do that happen for indie-games (even hyped ones)?
I dunno, anyone have the average-sales data?

Andronicus:

UnderGlass:

Andronicus:

;)

I am aware that Fallout and Wasteland are very much segregated in regards to intellectual property now. I haven't actually played the original Wasteland though, so killer bunnies and broccoli forests is a very welcome prospect. I never expected it to be Fallout; I just hoped it wasn't going to go completely dark and gritty and humourless.

Also no, it's not a dropbear, and anyone who shows you a picture of one is a liar; noone's seen one with their own eyes and lived to describe it.
As for the picture, dunno if you know it, but it's one of the characters from Raskulls, which is an Australian game too, so makes sense to throw a koala in there :)

What?!

You .. you mean that nice man who sold me this authentic candid shot of a dropbear attack was a mountebank?

UnderGlass:
.. you mean that nice man who sold me this authentic candid shot of a dropbear attack was a mountebank?

Absolutely since it's a shiny red X

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or