NASA Announces Bake Sale Fundraiser

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Raiyan 1.0:
Meanwhile, the government spends a few more billion dollars on some shitty F-35s.

I believe the total is way past $1 Trillion for that disaster.

OT: Since when did people make $30million by selling cakes and washing cars??

Edit - OH I'M SORRY, I MEANT $300 million!!!

Well the commander and chief needs the NASA money for his weekly vacation budget, not to mention his re-election campaign, so that explains why he cut it.

crimson5pheonix:

Cpu46:

albino boo:
Just how many people should lose their entitlement to medical care to pay for Mars exploration? Guys in case you haven't noticed the there is the biggest recession in 80 years going on and therefore you have to cut your cloth to suit your purse. I think it would have been more effective to use kickstarter for some projects, say funding one of the instrument packages.

Am I the only one thinking of Howard Wolowitz?

Rank in Funding: Department

12th:NASA
11th:Justice
10th:Transportation
9th:Agriculture
8th:Energy
7th:Homeland Security
6th:Housing and Urban Development
5th:Veterans Affairs
4th:State and Other International Programs
3rd:Education
2nd:Health and Human Services (Medicare & Medicaid)
1st:Defense

Yea, Looks like NASA is gonna take all that Medicare away. Look its only 10 ranks behind in funding! Good lord somebody stop it before it takes all the money away!
Seriously for all that they do NASA is one of the most criminally underfunded departments on the national budget.

You're my hero.

Sorry, he's my hero.

Thats fine. He is one of my heroes as well. The guy is a hilarious, brilliant, and respectable man.

albino boo:
snip

vxicepickxv:

Daymo:
No one mentioned cutting medicare, they could increase taxs on high income earners to be higher then on middle class earners or cut the defense budget that is bigger then the next few nations defence budgets combined.

Why not cut the defense budget and raise taxes?

I would advise against cutting medicare, until a much better plan for taking care of senior citizens medical needs is formed. I know I can't afford to cover my parents medical bills.

Blind Sight:
Good. Regardless of whether you want to raise taxes or cut defense spending, there's a 15 trillion dollar debt that needs to be brought into reign and NASA's notorious for overbudgetting and wasting money, second to the military in that sense. Cut them both.

Andy Chalk:
It's worth pointing out that the US government is budgeting $851 billion for "security spending" in FY2013. (http://useconomy.about.com/od/usfederalbudget/p/military_budget.htm)

In other words, for considerably less than half of one percent of the military budget, these scientific endeavours could continue unimpeded. Are there hungry people living on the streets? Are millions of Americans without medical coverage? Are there countless other things the US could be doing do address shortfalls in its domestic situation? Absolutely. But what does that have to do with the prioritization of bombs over knowledge?

Something interesting you may want to see:

NASAs budget compared to the US military. Yeah, it's that much of a difference.

NASA can keep their moon cookies. I don't want to end up like Cave Johnson.

Richardplex:
Come on guys, stop telling America to cut its military budget. It isn't that high...
(the 2011 one is basically the same, I just can't find it because I'm terrible at googling).

Wait, Canada spends more on it's military than Israel? Aren't they in constant war?

Richardplex:
Come on guys, stop telling America to cut its military budget. It isn't that high...
(the 2011 one is basically the same, I just can't find it because I'm terrible at googling).

Israel's at the bottom of that? Whoa.

Also, I knew that America's military budget was high, but NOT THAT HIGH...

guidance:

Richardplex:

Wait, Canada spends more on it's military than Israel? Aren't they in constant war?

They don't buy multi-billion dollar planes. Guess what Canada does.

lacktheknack:

guidance:

Richardplex:

We should probably stop doing that.

Israel receives billions of dollars in military aid every year from the U.S. In 2007, the U.S. government agreed to give Israel $30 billion in military aid over ten years - ten times the NASA budgetary shortfall, in other words.

guidance:

lacktheknack:

guidance:

We should probably stop doing that.

Probably.

Redundant Fact of the Day: Many issues that could be considered "National" issues are coming up in the Alberta Election, but homeland security is not one of them. Cutting the budget is.

Let me add my $0.02 on top of Tyson's testimony:

Every dollar spent on the Apollo moon shots pumped fourteen dollars back into the economy.

Those apples are looking pretty shiny.

238U

toomuchnothing:
Someone should point NASA to kickstarter.

captcha: okey-dokey. It agrees with me.

Damn, ninja'd. I was about to wittily smarm about how NASA could put up a "let's go to Neptune" project on Kickstarter, and we could go back to directly funding them anyway.

albino boo:
Just how many people should lose their entitlement to medical care to pay for Mars exploration? Guys in case you haven't noticed the there is the biggest recession in 80 years going on and therefore you have to cut your cloth to suit your purse. I think it would have been more effective to use kickstarter for some projects, say funding one of the instrument packages.

Am I the only one thinking of Howard Wolowitz?

We'll just get by on privatized medicare like we have for the last... forever.

I don't see lower income people dying from the plague in the streets, so either our government is doing a REALLY good job of covering that up or there really isn't a problem.

Mars exploration sounds cool, but why not practice first by trying to get a moon colony running?

Andy Chalk:
It's worth pointing out that the US government is budgeting $851 billion for "security spending" in FY2013. (http://useconomy.about.com/od/usfederalbudget/p/military_budget.htm)

In other words, for considerably less than half of one percent of the military budget, these scientific endeavours could continue unimpeded. Are there hungry people living on the streets? Are millions of Americans without medical coverage? Are there countless other things the US could be doing do address shortfalls in its domestic situation? Absolutely. But what does that have to do with the prioritization of bombs over knowledge?

As long as they have the bombs; the uneducated, the homeless, the poor and the sick can die on the cold streets knowing they are safe.

Syzygy23:
Mars exploration sounds cool, but why not practice first by trying to get a moon colony running?

NASA tried. The project was called 'Constellation,' and would have seen a return to Luna & the start of a colony there, a trip to Mars that would last 3 months if I remember correctly (2 months for the round trip, one month on the planet), and also an eventual landing on an asteroid.

But then Obama started telling NASA what to do and forced them to change their agenda around, skipping the moon (which is a no-no, as that's the main way to test all the equipment out before going out to Mars - Apollo-like progression is key to safety) and using the CARGO rocket to launch the crew instead of the CREW rocket like NASA had designed & planned.
Then he & congress canned the project when it started going over-budget, instead of just giving them the extra money they needed. So now we have all this equipment for Constellation just sitting around, and all that time & effort wasted.

Good going, government. You just wasted tons of money, time, and resources that amounted to nothing because you couldn't spare some money to the good of the country, science, and humanity, and instead spent it on bailouts, over-bloated military budget, social security that you still haven't fixed, and a messy healthcare bill that doesn't actually fix many problems. *slow clap*

TechTim:
ummm last thing anyone wants to see is a bunch of nasa scientists washing cars not sure i trust their cooking either

but..... it will be...

FOR SCIENCE!

honestly though, good on them, a hilarious way to raise money, too bad I will be in BCT by then or I would of visited one of the places.

Maybe I can just send the money to the Senate committee.......

wait, why would I send crooks money?

That moment when you believe the article is a joke and then realize it's all true.
That moment is very, very painful.

Can't we cut the military and just raise taxes?

Desperate times...

Hmmm, here's the deal US Government. We need to get our asses to Mars space. You want Defense. We can have both. Weapons in space, while exploring space. Have you guys even watched any SciFi? Will be totally worth it. Totally beats out spending more money on the F-35 that is a waste of money.

June 9th is my wife's baby shower... considering the shower is being held at a burger joint on 'Nasa Rd 1' maybe I'll swing by the space center and pick up a few things...

Because frankly... it saddens me how bad things have gotten.

Coolpilot:

Syzygy23:

NASA tried. The project was called 'Constellation,' and would have seen a return to Luna & the start of a colony there, a trip to Mars that would last 3 months if I remember correctly (2 months for the round trip, one month on the planet), and also an eventual landing on an asteroid.

But then Obama started telling NASA what to do and forced them to change their agenda around, skipping the moon (which is a no-no, as that's the main way to test all the equipment out before going out to Mars - Apollo-like progression is key to safety) and using the CARGO rocket to launch the crew instead of the CREW rocket like NASA had designed & planned.
Then he & congress canned the project when it started going over-budget, instead of just giving them the extra money they needed. So now we have all this equipment for Constellation just sitting around, and all that time & effort wasted.

Good going, government. You just wasted tons of money, time, and resources that amounted to nothing because you couldn't spare some money to the good of the country, science, and humanity, and instead spent it on bailouts, over-bloated military budget, social security that you still haven't fixed, and a messy healthcare bill that doesn't actually fix many problems. *slow clap*

I'm not going to address most of your post, but your time frames are horribly out of scale. Mars would be a 23 month trip, minimum. We were also planning on going to an asteroid before Mars, now we are just skipping the moon along the way.

CleverCover:
That moment when you believe the article is a joke and then realize it's all true.

Can't we cut the military and just raise taxes?

Because this is what the government does with that taxes

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2012/0417/Fraud-waste-corruption-Congress-decries-GSA-culture

Why people think giving the government more money will fix things boggles the mind.

NASA. Having a bake sale and car wash fundraiser.

I could probably show this article as proof and its source material and people STILL wouldn't believe me.

But yeah, our government's spending is really stupid when you think about it. Sure, we need a strong military, and the minute we lax on making sure that we're on the cutting edge of military technology, something can screw us over. However, I think we're being a bit too excessive on it. The Cold War ended a long while back, people; there's honestly no country that wants to actually punch America in the nose. And before you say something about them, Al Qaeda is not a country; it's a movement of people that have military equipment, but certainly not enough to haul it all the way to Washington DC and give it a kick. Unless you tell me that Al Qaeda is in possession of nuclear missiles and feels like they want to start the world apocalypse, you're not convincing me that we need to spend what looks to be more than four times as much on military funding than the runner-up.

Ever notice how there are always cuts in funding to key areas, like NASA, but politicians never suggest a pay cut for them selves?

The president makes 400,000 a year in raw income, plus more to pay for expenses, entertainment, and travel. Overall, around 500 grand a year, plus free housing.

Retired president: $150,000 pension; plus $150,000 to maintain staff
Former first lady: $20,000

Vice president: $208,100; $10,000 expense account; free housing

Presidential Cabinet member (i.e. secretary of defense, attorney general, etc.): $157,000

Speaker of the House of Representatives: $208,100

Senate president pro tempore: $180,100

Senate and House majority and minority leaders: $180,100

Other senators and representatives: $162,100

Supreme Court chief justice: $208,100

Supreme Court associate justices: $199,200

Circuit judges: $171,800

District judges: $162,100

six figures for being a public servant. I am sure there can be some cuts there. It's not much, but it's a start.

Wait, this isn't a joke? this is a thing that's actually happening?

Well then to that i say THIS

These are the guys that landed people on the moon?

Bake sales? This is what the organization most associated with cutting edge science and technology has been reduced to? Girl scouts?

But then again...

I hear they can be pretty effective.

I live within walking distance of the Lunar Planetary Institute (LPI), so I will have to make sure to go down there during the bake sale!

On a more serious note: It really is saddening that the government cares so little for NASA. What they could do with 1% of the defense budget would be staggering... and 25% of the defense budget I can't even conceive.

But no, here in 'merica the only thing we want to do is kill browns with overpriced and usually broken equipment from companies where the owner just so happens to be a Senator's brother/ family member.

albino boo:
Just how many people should lose their entitlement to medical care to pay for Mars exploration?

DOD spending 680 billion for 2011 (2012 is expected to be about 705-710 billion)

NASA's highest budget
1965 33.5 billion
it was aproxmitly 17billion before cuts(less then 1% of the budget

Estimated cost of original healthcare bill
approx 94billion per year

NASA's budget cuts don't amount to a hill of beans

This is ridiculous. The fraction of the budget required to avoid forcing NASA to do this is so incredibly minuscule that I cannot fathom the justification.

Its less of a "we need money" and more like "hey look we have to resort to such things because government sucks" type of thing. I think they are doing this not for the money but for the message it sends.

P.S. capcha tells me to choose gender, WHAT THE HELL? What happened to privacy?

People saying to increase taxes on the rich?
Oh, you guys.

Shitty as it sounds, from a practical point of view, you want to lower taxes on the rich.
You forget the rich have much more mobility than others, and if a country starts asking for what they feel is too much of their money, they'll just leave.
Meaning that, despite having a higher rate, you make back even less in taxes because there is less people paying it.
Conversely, lower tax rates are more likely to attract people, increasing the amount of people paying said rates for you.

You wanna see something fun?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/Overview

If you were to cut the Department of Defense's budget by 1/3 and increase the budgets of all of the other departments by $5 billion, the difference in total budgets would be a savings of almost $100 billion. In this I removed the Overseas Contingencies Operations, since it was just money that should have really been a part of Defense and State/International Programs. Sure the budget would still be over $1 trillion, but hey I haven't seen any other reasonable plans that reduce our spending by $100B while increasing the budgets of all other departments by at least $5B, have you?

And even with a 1/3 cut to Defense, $400B is by no means a small budget. It would still be about doubled second place, right?

CleverCover:

Seconded.

templar1138a:
...we're stuck on this rock. We're all going to die.

And yet, nothing has changed, we were all going to die on this rock anyways.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here