New Baldur's Gate Not Coming to Wii U

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New Baldur's Gate Not Coming to Wii U

Beamdog calls the system "a toy, not a console."

Though Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has, thus far, only been announced for PC, Mac, and iOS, developer Beamdog has made a point of saying that its upcoming game will never make its way to the Wii U or, from the sound of things, any Nintendo console in the foreseeable future.

Taking to the Twitosphere, ex-BioWare man and founder of Beamdog Trent Oster tweeted, "We don't do Nintendo development. Our previous experience with Nintendo was enough to ensure there will not be another." That means no Wii, no Wii U, and no touch-enabled 3DS port.

The previous experience to which Oster is likely referring is his company's port of MDK2 to the Wii, specifically citing the company's policies in working with developers. "My problems with Nintendo are: requiring 6000 unit sales before payment, a certification process that took us 9 months and a 40mb limit," he wrote. "Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers. The Wii is a toy, not a console."

Those are strong words for a company developing for the iPad, but seem to speak more of a strained personal experience than an unbiased professional stance. Still, Oster and Co. have the freedom to develop for whomever they choose, and it does appear that they have some legitimate complaints about working with Nintendo. Regardless, there are currently no announced plans to bring the game to any console, Wii or otherwise.

Source: Eurogamer

Them fightn' words! Honestly I don't doubt he had a rough time with Nintendo.

Would anyone actually want to play Baldur's Gate on any console?

Good for him, sticking to his guns. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite him in the ass.

A 40MB limit? In this day and age? What the -hell- is wrong with Nintendo?

Mike Kayatta:

The previous experience to which Oster is likely referring is his company's port of MDK2 to the Wii, specifically citing the company's policies in working with developers. "My problems with Nintendo are: requiring 6000 unit sales before payment, a certification process that took us 9 months and a 40mb limit," he wrote. "Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers. The Wii is a toy, not a console."

Considering that Obsidian created a game that sold upwards of five million copies, yet still got shafted out of payment by Bethesda, pardon me if I don't cry too much about a game needing to sell a whopping 6000 copies before the developers get paid. To be frank, if a game were to sell less than 6000, then I imagine Nintendo's priorities would be focused more on trying to minimise the effects of a grade-A flop than trying to pay royalties to the developer that made said flop in the first place.

Dude just sounds bitchy, and like he's trying to ride on the anti-Nintendo wave. Xenoblade, Last Story and Skyward Sword all prove that the Wii is, in actual fact, a videogame console, not a toy. And that's scientific fact!

Mike Kayatta:
"Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers. The Wii is a toy, not a console."

Well said Mr Oster, very well said indeed. The Wii catered the lowest common denominator of casuals with both hardware and software. Sure it made a lot of money but not because of anything that resembled quality but as a result of being a fad. Sort of the same reason the pet rock made money back in the 70s.

I have a feeling this is a stigma that Nintendo is going to have a hard time shaking after the N64, and Gamecube sucked hind tit and then the Wii abandoning the core market entirely for that easy casual money. The Wii-U has a good decade and a half of Nintendo irrelevance in the console market to overcome and I can imagine there are more than a few developers that aren't exactly excited at the idea of going into business with a company so painfully behind the times as Nintendo still plainly is.

6000 units seems fine to me. I mean if your game doesn't sell that much well then it reaaaaaaaaly sucked. I mean even most bombs hit at least over 10,000 units. Now the 40mb limit. That is messed up. That seems to be like late PSX games. Or early ps2 games.

It's always funny to see the Wii system...

*puts on sunglasses*

...Taking the piss

Well he said that most people buy a Wii, get Wii sports then don't buy anything else. Whether that's true or not Nintendo still has it's reputation for it's treatment of 3rd party developers and it seems like they still aren't even trying. They can keep saying it but until they actually have more than a handful of 3rd party hits on any of their consoles they might as well be voiceless for all the good it does.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Mike Kayatta:

Considering that Obsidian created a game that sold upwards of five million copies, yet still got shafted out of payment by Bethesda, pardon me if I don't cry too much about a game needing to sell a whopping 6000 copies before the developers get paid. To be frank, if a game were to sell less than 6000, then I imagine Nintendo's priorities would be focused more on trying to minimise the effects of a grade-A flop than trying to pay royalties to the developer that made said flop in the first place.

Dude just sounds bitchy, and like he's trying to ride on the anti-Nintendo wave. Xenoblade, Last Story and Skyward Sword all prove that the Wii is, in actual fact, a videogame console, not a toy. And that's scientific fact!

Yeah, except for the 40mb limit this all sounds pretty reasonable to me. That cert process may be awkwardly long but it could just be they have high quality standards? Or they could be ragingly inefficient, a possibility. The 6000 unit mark though....

Then again consider this was a digital only sale, IIRC. The 40mb limit is because Nintendo's digital network is it's weakest feature, and they probably want to keep downloads under a certain limit so their casual centered demographic can get all their titles quickly.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Mike Kayatta:

Obsidian got shafted out of a bonus. They still got paid for New Vegas. He's saying if they only put MDK2 on the Wii download service and didn't make 6000 (Harder than it may sound, considering the Wii's target audience), then they would've gotten fuck all for their efforts.(If i'm reading this correctly)

all games machines are toys.some just feel more secure about it.

EDIT:But I can see why he dosent want to work with them,9 months certification and a 40mb limit? really.

I was a hardcore Nintendo fan from NES right untill the Wii.
Seriously, I got one for my parents because I knew they'd be thrilled to bits with Wii Sports, and I of course wanted to play Twilight Princess whenever they'd be done with it.

But I knew it then; the Wii is indeed more a toy than a serious console (see online gaming for one).

PrinceOfShapeir:

How old is the Wii again?

And by that i mean how old is the specific technology used to make it.

Thats probably the answer to your question.

40MB limit? Wow. That's... something.

The Wii is a toy, not a console

That's bad journalism. He called the Wii a toy, not the WiiU.

Ok, I have absolutely NO problem with this not going to the WiiU, Nintendo or honestly any console. Please do not interpret me as such.

But I think its really odd that between this, and the whole thing about "NO CONTROLLER SUPPORT" (again, dont care if it does or doesnt)it really seems like this whole project is going out of its way and bending over backwards to piss people off. I dont think anyone had envisioned it going to any console, but to proactively come out and say "NO NINTENDO TOYS!" seems like a random jab just to generate controversy and attention.

Hopefully the WiiU is better made then the Wii.

I've got patches bigger than a measly 40MB.

Nintendo has always treated their developers poorly, couple that with weak hardware and draconian expectations of control it's no wonder most of their third party development is gone.

viranimus:
Ok, I have absolutely NO problem with this not going to the WiiU, Nintendo or honestly any console. Please do not interpret me as such.

But I think its really odd that between this, and the whole thing about "NO CONTROLLER SUPPORT" (again, dont care if it does or doesnt)it really seems like this whole project is going out of its way and bending over backwards to piss people off. I dont think anyone had envisioned it going to any console, but to proactively come out and say "NO NINTENDO TOYS!" seems like a random jab just to generate controversy and attention.

Except it wasn't on Trent's part. He was talking about his bad experience with Nintendo before and was also tired on his part. What is attention grabbing is this article that mentions it in the headline like that was the only part that mattered. Go read his twitter for yourself if you want to see the posts. I would also recommend others read it since the escapist's articles have all been absolutely horrible on Beamdog and BGEE.
https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster

PrinceOfShapeir:

That's what you get when you have no internal hard drive or very limited flash memory. I believe this was the same reason Super Meat Boy was never brought to the wii.

80Maxwell08:

viranimus:

Except it wasn't on Trent's part. He was talking about his bad experience with Nintendo before and was also tired on his part. What is attention grabbing is this article that mentions it in the headline like that was the only part that mattered. Go read his twitter for yourself if you want to see the posts. I would also recommend others read it since the escapist's articles have all been absolutely horrible on Beamdog and BGEE.

Ok, begrudingly (I have no use for twitter) I read the feed for the last week. Seems to me that it is making a purposeful point tell people no. He was asked about it, and instead of saying something more tactful like "Well were not doing that right now, maybe down the road" you get "No Dont like nintendo, the WiiU is a toy and a joke for developers. Its still going out of the way to proactively insult nintendo (and thus those who support nintendo). Also he dismisses the possibility of the 360 again because of the controller and implying it would be too much work, yet they went out of their way to build a completely new control structure from the ground up to support touchpads for the IOS release and implying controller support would be such a massive change.

Im sorry, the more I look into this the more it seems like this whole project is surrounded by dicks who are being dicks just to be dicks. Yeah Im really rather fine with my GoG versions, so I dont think I will be supporting this financially.

viranimus:

80Maxwell08:

viranimus:

Ok, begrudingly (I have no use for twitter) I read the feed for the last week. Seems to me that it is making a purposeful point tell people no. He was asked about it, and instead of saying something more tactful like "Well were not doing that right now, maybe down the road" you get "No Dont like nintendo, the WiiU is a toy and a joke for developers. Its still going out of the way to proactively insult nintendo (and thus those who support nintendo). Also he dismisses the possibility of the 360 again because of the controller and implying it would be too much work, yet they went out of their way to build a completely new control structure from the ground up to support touchpads for the IOS release and implying controller support would be such a massive change.

Im sorry, the more I look into this the more it seems like this whole project is surrounded by dicks who are being dicks just to be dicks. Yeah Im really rather fine with my GoG versions, so I dont think I will be supporting this financially.

He didn't say the WiiU was a toy he said the Wii was. He was asked about Nintendo and said his whole reason to why he doesn't want to work with Nintendo. Also since they were PC exclusive the dev team didn't want to add controllers. Also touch screen devices barely take any work since how similar they are. It only really takes the porting work. Would it be playable on a console? Yes. Would be control just as well as a mouse and keyboard setup? No. That's why they don't want to.

9 months certification process? My God that explains way there never seems any new releases on the Wii. What happened to you Nintendo? You used to be cool.

T'Generalissimo:

I for one was looking forward to the waggle to re-roll function they could have implemented. :P

TsunamiWombat:

Then again consider this was a digital only sale, IIRC. The 40mb limit is because Nintendo's digital network is it's weakest feature, and they probably want to keep downloads under a certain limit so their casual centered demographic can get all their titles quickly.

More likely the 40mb limit is on digital only titles and since the wii has something like a 500mb harddrive they want to limit the size of them.

80Maxwell08:

viranimus:

80Maxwell08:

He didn't say the WiiU was a toy he said the Wii was. He was asked about Nintendo and said his whole reason to why he doesn't want to work with Nintendo. Also since they were PC exclusive the dev team didn't want to add controllers. Also touch screen devices barely take any work since how similar they are. It only really takes the porting work. Would it be playable on a console? Yes. Would be control just as well as a mouse and keyboard setup? No. That's why they don't want to.

Sorry, yes, the WiiU thing was a typo on my part. Sorry.

Buut, the point is not that they arent going to do it. I dont care if they choose not to. The point is going out of their way to say NO!!!!! Its being a dick for no good reason regardless of what the reason is. They could have handled this with more tact by leaving it up for question, but by going out of your way to categorically deny its possibility is still being a dick.

viranimus:

80Maxwell08:

viranimus:

Sorry, yes, the WiiU thing was a typo on my part. Sorry.

Buut, the point is not that they arent going to do it. I dont care if they choose not to. The point is going out of their way to say NO!!!!! Its being a dick for no good reason regardless of what the reason is. They could have handled this with more tact by leaving it up for question, but by going out of your way to categorically deny its possibility is still being a dick.

People have been asking if it's going to be on the Wii for a while so they answered it. This wasn't an out of nowhere statement they were answering one of their most frequently asked questions.

Haha, that is a silly statement. The thing is, did anyone propose such a thing? I mean, if they aren't considering PS3 and 360, why would they consider Wii or WiiU? They wouldn't. He just kinda looks a little like tool from where I'm sitting. Also, calling a Wii a toy but then going to iPad... just lol.

Edit: I agree though. All the consoles are really hostile towards small developers. They make it hard to put games on it, developers have to jump through hoops, and requiring a number of sales before payment is almost outright theft. It's a self fulfilling prophecy in some respects. A lot of people (at one point) put games on a system, then there is a fight for advertising space, no one knows about a game, it doesn't sell 6K copies, developers don't get paid, so they stop making games for a platform, and then you have all this hostility. Closed environments suck, PC gaming forever.

Mike Kayatta:
"My problems with Nintendo are: requiring 6000 unit sales before payment, a certification process that took us 9 months and a 40mb limit," he wrote. "Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers. The Wii is a toy, not a console."

Those are strong words for a company developing for the iPad

Interesting reflection, given that iPad devs receive payment from the very first sale, the certification process normally takes 2-5 days (with some rare exceptions requiring up to two weeks), and there is no limit, in neither megabytes nor gigabytes.

Or are those the words of someone a mite annoyed that the iPad is being considered a more viable and serious platform for game development than the Wii? Better get used to constantly rising levels of aggravation, for that sentiment is spreading among developers... ;-)

The only thing I see is that Nintendo is asking for some reasonable things considering the power of the Wii.

The only problematic thing would be the 40MB limit... if it was for the 360 or PS3. But since it's on the Wii, I don't see the problem here. They have to limit it because the Wii is limited and the Digital Distribution system for the Wii is awful.

And saying "no" for who knows how many further consoles, even tho we see all the great news about the WiiU (free online service which is at least as good as the one for Xbox, much stronger hardware and many developer praising how easy it is to develop for it)... He just sounds like a troll who tries to make people rage.

Also, just for people who say how awful Nintendo is to 3rd party developer.
That same thing is what saved the game industry once. The quality did drop, but I think it dropped because they didn't have any really choice for the Wii. It was either 1-3 games per year or let some shit that will sell well slide. With the WiiU, it will probably jump up again and the Nintendo Quality Certificate will mean something.

I like my console being as strict as possible rather than as open as the iPad where you can find all kind of shit and falsely advertised apps without refund. Yes, it would be nice if Nintendo dropped the bar a little, but surly not remove the bar as Apple does.
IMHO, something between Sony and Nintendo would be great. More games than than now, but less copy past shit like Xbox and PS have.

Ayjona:

Mike Kayatta:
"My problems with Nintendo are: requiring 6000 unit sales before payment, a certification process that took us 9 months and a 40mb limit," he wrote. "Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers. The Wii is a toy, not a console."

Those are strong words for a company developing for the iPad

Interesting reflection, given that iPad devs receive payment from the very first sale, the certification process normally takes 2-5 days (with some rare exceptions requiring up to two weeks), and there is no limit, in neither megabytes nor gigabytes.

Or are those the words of someone a mite annoyed that the iPad is being considered a more viable and serious platform for game development than the Wii? Better get used to constantly rising levels of aggravation, for that sentiment is spreading among developers... ;-)

No, actually, I really like my iPad (which is also what my BG:EE purchase is going on). I just think that calling the Wii a toy while implying that iPad isn't is a stretch. Yes, we are finally getting some decent games for iPad, but 98% still hail Angry Birds as the pinnacle of development.

But aren't they all toys?
I've always thought of the PS & Xbox as toys.
Hell, if you buy an alienware, you're not getting a practical computer, you're getting an expensive toy.

The Artificially Prolonged:

T'Generalissimo:

I for one was looking forward to the waggle to re-roll function they could have implemented. :P

People would get carpal tunnel syndrome just trying to roll a character with perfect stats.

"but seem to speak more of a strained personal experience than an unbiased professional stance."

Eh? I thought it was common knowledge that Nintendo's third party support is practically non-existent. I mean, it's obviously somewhat personal but it's hardly out of the blue.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here