No Paid DLC Characters For Tekken, Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No Paid DLC Characters For Tekken, Ever

Tekken producer, Katsuhiro Harada, maintains characters are too important to be sold as DLC.

Fighting games live and die by their character rosters, everything else is just window dressing. Thus, Capcom's decision to lock twelve of Street Fighter X Tekken's on-disk characters in order to sell them as DLC - albeit, minus the "downloadable" part - was met with a less than enthusiastic response from fans. It seems Namco won't be making the same mistake with the Tekken series.

"Tekken has never had DLC before and charged for it," series producer, Katushiro Harada, told Edge. "This isn't really directed at Capcom, I have always said this, but I see the characters and their move sets as chess pieces - they are essential items necessary in the game and we would never sell any of those individually."

However, Harada did offer some justification for Capcom's decision to offer characters as on-disk DLC.

"I expect the reason they did that was, if one player bought a character that another player didn't have, they would not be able to play against each other online," he said. "Each player needs to have the character data on their disc - if one doesn't, they would need to download it before each match - and as that includes the character model, the data would be large, increasing the download time."

Presumably, most players would only have to download the extra data once, but 360 users who didn't spring for a model with a hard drive would probably end up unable to play the game online. Capcom insists that character data is on the disk to "save hard drive space, and to ensure a smooth transition when DLC is available."

Harada did mention that future Tekken games might see some vanity item DLC, so bad luck to those of you who don't want to fight characters who look like they've barely survived a catastrophic explosion in a fancy dress costume factory. He also added that Namco may use early access to extra characters as a pre-order incentive, but that those characters would be available to everyone and could be unlocked simply by playing the game.

I love that. "This isn't really directed at Capcom" The implied "but I am so totally directing this at Capcom" was rather loud in that statement.

Gah, fighting game fans are so entitled!

Atleast Harada gets it...why can't Capcom get it?

I don't care how anyone trys to justify the complete characters on the disk...withholding them for any price is an incredibly dickish move to wring more money out of the consumers...

It's not costumes, stages or something else cosmetic. We are talking about characters to play as. For a fighting game, those are the most important part next to the game mechanics...

Huh. Why didn't you bring up his "Lee Chaolan in a bikini" example for vanity items? I for one found the imagery astounding.

MrBrightside919:

I don't care how anyone trys to justify the complete characters on the disk...withholding them for any price is an incredibly dickish move to wring more money out of the consumers...

It's not costumes, stages or something else cosmetic. We are talking about characters to play as. For a fighting game, those are the most important part next to the game mechanics...

That makes me think Capcom will start charging for moves.

"Wanna pull off a Sonic Boom? $2.99."

I am not a huge Tekken fan but good on Namco for their decision. I agree with his reasoning in regards to the importance of character's being too important for DLC wholeheartedly. It messes with the competitive nature for sure. Though I suspect he wouldn't be so quick to defend Capcom if they weren't currently partners. :P

RaikuFA:

MrBrightside919:

That makes me think Capcom will start charging for moves.

"Wanna pull off a Sonic Boom? $2.99."

At this point...I wouldn't be surprised...

"Wanna finish this shoryuken your trying to do? 50 cents. $1.50 for the ex version"

Woo the man makes sense! I like this guy!

Except i've never been interested in Tekken and don't plan to start now... Well fuck. Hey anyone know when Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 4 is coming out yet? XD

Hopefully Capcom have noticed how much of a shitstorm SFXT was and have decided to loosen up thei- oh wait this is Capcom... Right.

The Wykydtron:
Woo the man makes sense! I like this guy!

Except i've never been interested in Tekken and don't plan to start now... Well fuck. Hey anyone know when Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 4 is coming out yet? XD

Hopefully Capcom have noticed how much of a shitstorm SFXT was and have decided to loosen up thei- oh wait this is Capcom... Right.

They blamed it all on Ono and he was hospilized from stress.

Turns me away from fighters...

I'm hoping this means that the Tekken X Street Fighter will have all fighters unlocked on day one. It's Namco-Bandai's part of the project that I care about more. I'm not the biggest fan of Street Fighter.

Something kinda like a voice over for a movie trailer played in my head just now:

"In a world where all companies charge their customers for DLC they want but they can't have, one brave and lone company dared to stand apart...and not charge them".

...And then explosions would follow and a love story would be added and stuff.

It's a pretty smart move. It might incite people to buy Tekken over Street Fighter or UMvC or even SFxT.

So does that mean Tekken X Street Fighter won't have any characters as DLC? I know they're partnering with Capcom and all, but seeing how SFxT got the DLC characters and it played like a Capcom game and TxST is kinda the opposite, I kinda expect that from them now.

Good on Harada. I'm not a big Tekken fan, but he's one of the few producer/directors I truly respect.

By the way, this line:

Fighting games live and die by their character rosters, everything else is just window dressing.

is totally wrong. It's not even inaccurate; it's simply wrong. Fighting games revolve around gameplay, not characters. The cast can include busty naked woman inspired by Queen's Blade (look it up), a zombie with a gilded toilet for a head, and an small, pink, pearlescent elephant on roller skates. If the game plays like hot baked ass, it will be forgotten in very short order.

There's a man made of noble stuff. MAN-stuff!

SageRuffin:
Good on Harada. I'm not a big Tekken fan, but he's one of the few producer/directors I truly respect.

By the way, this line:

Fighting games live and die by their character rosters, everything else is just window dressing.

is totally wrong. It's not even inaccurate; it's simply wrong. Fighting games revolve around gameplay, not characters. The cast can include busty naked woman inspired by Queen's Blade (look it up), a zombie with a gilded toilet for a head, and an small, pink, pearlescent elephant on roller skates. If the game plays like hot baked ass, it will be forgotten in very short order.

I've always maintained a fighting game's gameplay is a product of said characters, not just their design, but how they control and interact with one another.

SageRuffin:

By the way, this line:

is totally wrong. It's not even inaccurate; it's simply wrong. Fighting games revolve around gameplay, not characters.

That's what was being implied in the first place. Characters are the lifeblood of a fighting game because they're how the player plays the game. They are the gameplay.

That's why the chess metaphor was used; Namco considers withholding characters from Tekken to be just as nonsensical as preventing chess players from being able to use knights or queens.

Grey Carter:

SageRuffin:

By the way, this line:

I've always maintained a fighting game's gameplay is a product of said characters, not just their design, but how they control and interact with one another.

I like to think they go hand in hand...you need one to have the other...

amen brother!
... freakin' bioware... or EA... whoever's to blame...

SageRuffin:

By the way, this line:

That's pretty much what he implied in the first place.

Anyway, this excites me, especially being a fan of the Tekkan series. Which also makes me even more excited for Tekkan x Street Fighter. Lets see Ryu pull off his cheep hadukan in the Tekkan engine! :D

Although i did try out SFxT and I thought it was pretty good. But because of the fact that its played in a SF (aka 2D fighting) engine, I just didnt enjoy it as much as I wanted too. In fact, I only played it because it had Tekkan characters in it. Was never a SF guy at all really.

On one hand it seems Namco is observing its competitors to see how to not make thier mistakes.

On the other this annoucnement is totally not levelled directly at Capcom.

Jove:
Anyway, this excites me, especially being a fan of the Tekkan series. Which also makes me even more excited for Tekkan x Street Fighter. Lets see Ryu pull off his cheep hadukan in the Tekkan engine! :D

Although i did try out SFxT and I thought it was pretty good. But because of the fact that its played in a SF (aka 2D fighting) engine, I just didnt enjoy it as much as I wanted too. In fact, I only played it because it had Tekkan characters in it. Was never a SF guy at all really.

Sorry, but you claim to be a Tekken fan yet you cant even spell its name correctly?

While im being a grammar nazi its called a Hadoken.

And speaking of the Hadoken, its the Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku (Hurricane Kick) that you should fear in Tekken x Street Fighter.

gigastar:
On one hand it seems Namco is observing its competitors to see how to not make thier mistakes.

On the other this annoucnement is totally not levelled directly at Capcom.

Jove:

Sorry, but you claim to be a Tekken fan yet you cant even spell its name correctly?

While im being a grammar nazi its called a Hadoken.

And speaking of the Hadoken, its the Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku (Hurricane Kick) that you should fear in Tekken x Street Fighter.

You will have to forgive my spelling errors due to the fact that, as you might have noticed, I am mentally retarded. So it's ok for me to...oh look, a quarter!

Eh, as long as Lee is in the game (wasnt in SFxT for some reason), kicking won't be a problem. :P

He's absolutely right: By making characters exclusive, you hold part of the metagame hostage.
Why? Because when you add anything into a competitive game, you introduce more variability and complexity into its metagame. You introduce the potential for change in the metagame.

Worst case scenario: if any of those characters turned out as being dominant, then it becomes a pay-2-win scenario, which isn't legitimately competitive to say the least.

The only way to ensure an even playing field is to include all the characters.

(And please don't say "Oh, they'll balance it, so it doesn't matter". It does matter, quite a lot actually. Fighting games are among the most difficult games to balance for all manner of reasons; it might take a long time for someone to actually find the most mathematically broken combo or interaction. They are quite complicated to begin with, and the level of player scrutiny goes down to the frame; players that are looking for the Instant-Win Combo with a fine tooth comb.

I cannot think of a single fighting game that was balanced entirely; where all characters are viable picks and counters to other characters. It almost always comes down to a small handful of movesets with the most combos and cancels.)

Harada is a smart and sensible man. Kudos to him.

This should go for EVERY game, by the way. Any content that is on the disk should be accessible when you purchase said disk, not after paying extra bullshit fees. :/

The fact that Tekken has lasted all these years shows that you don't need to squeeze in DLC to maintain your series.

I remember playing Tekken on the PS2 and while I'm no fan of it today, or any fighting game for that matter, it's admirable that they have these standards.

So now we're adding Capcom to the list of EEEEEVIIIIIL PUBILISHARRRRRRRRS?

*facenest*

Unlocking rewards by playing the game? What a brilliant new concept!

Bhaalspawn:

*facenest*

IMO, they seem to be less about being overtly dickish and evil, and more genuinely incompetent.
A company like Activision, Ubisoft or EA would develop and release something like Megaman Legends 3 (which basically hypes itself), they would price hike the shit out of it with DRM, introduce some sort of money-making gimmick (I genuinely pity the generation of kids playing Spyro today, and I pity their parents thrice as much) or load it down with game-altering DRM.

Or just a combination of dick-moves.

Capcom just announces it, stumbles over themselves, and backs out without any logical explanation ("There is not enough demand for the game"...wha? You had everyone's attention in 2010 with the E3 announcement! The fuck?).
Sure, they do the DLC shuffle, but that gets blown out of the water by the number of increasingly crazy stupid schemes they keep trying to pull (two versions of MvC3 in the same year...and it's Mortal Kombat that looked more competent than either. I don't know what the fuck to say. That shouldn't have been possible).

I've never owned a Tekken game in my life but this Katushiro Harada is instantly a new hero of mine.

I mean come on, "...they are essential items necessary in the game and we would never sell any of those individually."? I want to buy this beautiful man flowers.

Bhaalspawn:

*facenest*

Capcom has been pretty horrible for quite a long time, you just don't hear about it as much because they don't have as large of a fanbase (and by extension as many detractors) as EA or Activision.

DVS BSTrD:
Gah, fighting game fans are so entitled!

So are people who pay full price for a box of cookies and complain that a bunch of the cookies have been eaten, when they open it.

I've always liked Tekken's play style but... I found most of the characters blah and humdrum. So I'm looking forward to tekken cross street fighter. Even moreso since there's less of a chance of me getting fleeced.

Now if this only applied to Soul Calibur. I always thought they were made by the same studio, albeit by a branch codenamed "Project Soul."

Grey Carter:

NeutralDrow:
That's what was being implied in the first place. Characters are the lifeblood of a fighting game because they're how the player plays the game. They are the gameplay.

That's why the chess metaphor was used; Namco considers withholding characters from Tekken to be just as nonsensical as preventing chess players from being able to use knights or queens.

Jove:
That's pretty much what he implied in the first place.

Okay, okay. I get it. I guess I just read the article wrong.

I still say actual gameplay mechanics matter more than characters (pet bears, kangaroos, and wooden mannikins who know martial arts? feh, whatever...), but I see what you all are saying.

Grey Carter:
Capcom insists that character data is on the disk to "save hard drive space, and to ensure a smooth transition when DLC is available."

Soooo... to make the transition to downloaded content smooth, it is, in fact, bundled with the physical media? I'm confused as to where the transition is there - or maybe they are confused as to what purchasing a game should mean?

to ensure a smooth transition when DLC is available

You know what would make it even smoother, not locking it or charge for it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here