Canada Gets Glow-in-the-Dark Dinosaur Coins

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Canada Gets Glow-in-the-Dark Dinosaur Coins

Luminescent ceratopsid bones are now legal tender in Canada.

Canadian currency has a well-deserved reputation for sexiness, especially when compared to the dull, drab green of our North American bunkmates, but now the good people at the Royal Canadian Mint are really stepping it up. Remember those cryptozoological quarters the Mint rolled out last year? That's nothing. Now we've got dinosaurs - and they glow in the dark.

That's right, kids, when you look at one of these babies in normal light, it looks just like a normal dinosaur - a Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai, to be specific, bones of which were discovered in Alberta in 1946 - but turn off the lights and BAM! Glow-in-the-dark dinosaur skeleton! Even cooler, the mint says that unlike those cheap glow-in-the-dark novelties you find in cereal boxes, the luminescence of these coins won't fade over time.

The Pachywhatchahoozit coin is the first of a planned series of four, all approved by the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology, and joins the previously-mentioned Sasquatch, Memphre and Mishepishu quarters, plastic $100 bills and $1 coins named "loonies." The opposite face of the coin will feature an image of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of this Realm, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, but which sadly does not reveal a glow-in-the-dark image of a Jewish lizardwoman when the lights go down.

Don't you wish your country had glow-in-the-dark dinosaur money? Alas, these coins won't be released into general circulation. Only 25,000 are being minted and while their face value is just 25 cents, collectors will have to fork over $29.95 to put one of them in their piggy banks.

Watch this week's Feed Dump to hear more about the glow in the dark dinosaur coins from Canada.

Source: Cnet

Now they have fossils on both sides.

Booooooo. I want these in circulation. You could ask for a "Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai" instead of a "quarter"!

Yo Andy, can I borrow a Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai?

As Graham said in Feed dump today

ash-brewster:

Our government is run by morons. The mint being run by a bunch of 10 year old's is a step up from what we're used to.

Vivi22:

ash-brewster:

Our government is run by morons. The mint being run by a bunch of 10 year old's is a step up from what we're used to.

Yeah its pretty well known (in the UK anyway) that the Canadian PM is about as popular as the coalition government in the UK.

DVS BSTrD:
Dinosaurs the only things older than the queen.

That's a lie. The queen is way older than the dinosaurs and most likely the reason they went extinct.

Also I would like one of these coins...

Yopaz:

DVS BSTrD:
Dinosaurs the only things older than the queen.

That's a lie. The queen is way older than the dinosaurs and most likely the reason they went extinct.

Also I would like one of these coins...

Pics or it didn't happen.

I got four words to say- Most awesome coin ever!

I do got to wonder if it's neccessary (costing wise). I'm pretty certain that the cost to colour and add the glow in the dark effect must cost more to produce compared producing a regular coin.

It's a pity that they'll never actually be USED as legal tender - no one's going to use one of those to pay for anything - still, it would be freaking awesome if they WERE in common circulation.

On other currency related news, I think we're phasing out the penny, and those plastic $100 bills? They're maple-scented. Is that not the most awesome anti-counterfeit measure ever? "I dunno, I'll need to check this bill, it doesn't smell like maple". Awesome.

Is anyone else wondering if the Queen's skeleton will also glow in the dark?

Really this is just an attempt by the Mint to see if they can out-ridiculous Niue's currency:

http://www.pobjoy.com/encyclopaedia/section.php?xSec=165

Yes there is somewhere in the world with Pokemon coins.

ash-brewster:
Yeah its pretty well known (in the UK anyway) that the Canadian PM is about as popular as the coalition government in the UK.

What I can't figure out is why the country keeps voting for him... Oh wait, the other parties are worse, the NDP are communists, and the Liberals tried to have a guy who wanted to take away the child tax credit and a guy who hadn't lived in Canada for 25 years (and bash the crap out of Canada while doing so) run for office, both of whome can't find their asses with a map.

Lesser of 3 evils I suppose...

Simon Leonhart:
Is anyone else wondering if the Queen's skeleton will also glow in the dark?

I'm pretty sure the article author's anti-semitic joke explained that.

Canadian Money. Better than everyone else's. So yeah. Canada rocks The Shield. hehe.

To quote Barney:
"It's federal currency and you people talk about it like it's a Hanna Barbera cartoon.

DVS BSTrD:

True story.

aceman67:
What I can't figure out is why the country keeps voting for him... Oh wait, the other parties are worse, the NDP are communists, and the Liberals tried to have a guy who wanted to take away the child tax credit and a guy who hadn't lived in Canada for 25 years (and bash the crap out of Canada while doing so) run for office, both of whome can't find their asses with a map.

Lesser of 3 evils I suppose...

Honestly, the country doesn't keep voting him in technically. The majority of voters didn't vote conservative, they only won because the other parties end up splitting the majority of the vote.

As to them being the lesser of three evils, that's pretty debatable to be honest with much of the stuff they've pulled in the last few years, and the stuff they've tried to do is pretty awful. The only good thing they've done I can think of off the top of my head is scrapping the long gun registry.

And I'll just choose to assume that was a joke about the NDP being communists (you never can tell, some people really don't know what communism really is).

Scarim Coral:
I got four words to say- Most awesome coin ever!

I do got to wonder if it's neccessary (costing wise). I'm pretty certain that the cost to colour and add the glow in the dark effect must cost more to produce compared producing a regular coin.

Probably, but since these are made, marketed and sold as collector's items (something the mint does so often I question how any of it is collectible) it's not really a concern if it's more expensive than currency put into circulation. As long as it sells for more than it cost to make it.

Seriously fuck Canada, first they have those 2 dollar coin within a coin things with POLAR BEARS! now this!

I have have jealousy issues.

So, uh, I take it that this dinosaur is important to Canadian culture or something?

aceman67:

ash-brewster:

What I can't figure out is why the country keeps voting for him... Oh wait, the other parties are worse

I disagree with that entirely. The neo-cons are bloody insane, unless I'm the only one who thinks increasing the retirement age limit, implementing a MASSIVE federal budget (and lying about 25 billion dollars worth of funds) from a government that's supposed to be fiscally conservative, implementing heavy handed copyright bills, and trying to pass laws that allow the government to monitor everyone's internet is a bad thing.

Or remember that day they secretly passed a bill where foreign residents who were gay and married found out they weren't married any more? Or Harper saying "we won't cut corporate taxes further" then cutting corporate taxes within his first three weeks in office?

I could go on for hours but it's like no one fucking pays attention to anything the neo-cons are doing.

Y'know, since they nailed down the whole paint-on-the-coin trick with the poppy quarters, they've just gone bananas.

Dear gawd... thats... beautiful *weeps* <---[Trainee Paleontologist]

DVS BSTrD:

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Canada officially has the best monies out there now.

This is why living in Canada is awesome. If only they were in actual circulation...

I didn't know about the mythological beast coins... if only they were in actual circulation...

Does it not seem weak that they are making coins and essentially not using them?

Okay, the "Jewish lizardwoman" line appears to be confusing and/or angering some of you, and while that's normally a source of endless amusement, I think maybe I should clear this one up before too many pitchforks come out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilians#David_Icke

There you go, clarification given, and for the record I'm rather a big fan of the Queen.

DVS BSTrD:

I shouldn't have laughed at that. Not only is it mean-spirited, it's kind of obvious from a joke construction point of view. But laugh I did. Oh, yes.

Also, I totally want this coin.

Aw, would've been nice if they were in circulation.

Scarim Coral:

Which would be why they're selling them for $30 and not sending them out with the rest of the regular coins.

I'd buy one.

Also, that is very usefull, walk around at night... profit.

Am i the only one who had Power Rangers come to mind from this?

Need some Morphers now and alter the coins a bit.

Somepony get Zordon we need 5 teenagers with attitude!

ash-brewster:

Vivi22:

ash-brewster:

Not actually true... he has a very large, but quiet, fanbase (myself included). Remember, he went from a minority government to a majority.

On another note, I heard from someone who works at the national gaming (ie. gambling) coalition (or whatever it is) that we're getting $5 coins. Those'll be fun.

Formica Archonis:
Y'know, since they nailed down the whole paint-on-the-coin trick with the poppy quarters, they've just gone bananas.

As have the residents. I found a quarter with the yellow paint on it and my friend nearly gave birth with excitement (and she's not even pregnant). She collects all the nifty in-circulation coins, and apparently the yellow one is rare.

This makes me proud to be a Canadian! I want one of these coins!

DVS BSTrD:

I see what you did there. I see it...

Coin, The only thing I can think that will make it more or less permanently luminescent is something that's radioactive. Thanks mint for giving me cancer while I'm trying to buy some timmies. On the bright side, people WILL pay $30 for a 0.25 cent coin and the government will make money off of it.

Vivi22:

Honestly, the country doesn't keep voting him in technically. The majority of voters didn't vote conservative, they only won because the other parties end up splitting the majority of the vote.

When was the last time a federal party won an election with both the majority in seats and a majority of the popular vote? I can't remember off hand, but I sure as hell don't remember the liberals, conservatives, or NDP complaining when the liberals had a majority in the 90s. I don't really want to completely derail the thread of Canada's awesome currency, but convention is still convention if your preferred party is in power or not.... and they still did win a majority of seats and won a mandate to govern.

Looks sick, almost as cool as the new plastic bills (I saw the $50 one today, looks so cool).

heh, just another reason why it's awesome to be in canada. However it feels slightly weird to be talked about in third person instead "here in canada" like i'm in some foreign land...

also i read about this in the newspaper before it was cool.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here