31 Travel Destinations for Nerds

31 Travel Destinations for Nerds

Mt. Rushmore is for suckers. The cool kids visit Hôtel Sidi Driss.

People take road trips for all sorts of reasons: moving across country, "finding themselves," or simple sightseeing. But what are you supposed to do when you like where you live, already know exactly where you are, and think the Grand Canyon is just an over-hyped, massive gash in the ground? Bizarre Magazine has answered with a wonderful collection of 31 completely nerdy destinations that will give all flavors of geek a reason to leave their chair for the road.

Starting in the U.S., Bizarre recommends Funspot (the arcade from King of Kong) in New Hampshire, Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash (Kevin Smith's personally owned comic book shop) in--you guessed it--Red Bank, New Jersey, and a Dungeons & Dragons-themed park that was erected in honor of a D&D fan who tragically died in a car accident in Carbondale, Illinois. Perhaps unsurprisingly, there's also mention of Seattle's Science Fiction Museum, Mountain View's Computer History museum and, of course, what trip would be complete without a visit to Area 51 in Nevada.

Those heading to Europe may consider popping by Tunisia's Hôtel Sidi Driss, perhaps best known as the hotel in which Luke's home was filmed for Star Wars. You can even have lunch there (Aunt Beru and her blue milk not included). If science non-fiction is more to your liking, Pythagoras' home is open for visting in Samos, Greece, while the more modern among you may prefer a jaunt to Geneva for a quick tour of CERN. Just please don't bring any universe-destroying black holes home with you.

Moving east, couples can head into Hong Kong, where Bruce Lee's house has been transformed into a seedy "love motel" where you can rent rooms by the hour to have some, uh, private time to practice your love-fu underneath the ever-watching ethereal gaze of Lee's ghost. If doing the horizontal tango near to where a famous martial artist once ate his cereal wasn't enough to sate your amorous leanings, then perhaps a nice picnic under the Rashomon Gate in Kyoto will help. Yes, it was popularized by Akira Kurosawa's film, but historically, it was the unofficial dumping site for corpses and unwanted babies. Lovely!

I feel like our road trip took somewhat of a creepy turn toward the end (and I'm not sure there are actually roads connecting all of these places I just listed), but you can check out the full list of 31 global hotspots you don't want to miss on Bizzaremag.com, all the same. And if any of you hit one of these up, be sure to send us the pictures! Well, maybe not the ones from Hong Kong.

Mike Kayatta:
what trip would be complete with a visit to Area 51 in Nevada.

Besides a slight error making it sound like a bad place to go, i doubt the USAF offers tours of one of thier prime R&D centres and prototype testing grounds to just anyone.

gigastar:

Mike Kayatta:

Besides a slight error making it sound like a bad place to go, i doubt the USAF offers tours of one of thier prime R&D centres and prototype testing grounds to just anyone.

Well, that one is more for the surrounding area I think. They have a lot of themed locations and a Roswell Festival, etc. But no, I wouldn't recommend trying to drive into a military base :)

Of course you can't get into area 51, but there's plenty to do that makes the entire area an awesome nerd pilgrimage. Aside from the inn in Rachel, there's always the 'black mailbox' in the middle of the 'extraterrestrial highway'. For the adventurous, you can even drive up to the front gate down groom road and take pictures of those signs everyone's seen pictures of yet never seen themselves. Also, there's a mountain peak in a nearby wildlife preserve from which you can photograph area 51 itself from... provided you have the right equipment and the fog doesn't roll in. Bleh.

It's all there. I made that pilgrimage myself last November and had a blast. A warning to anyone attempting to climb Tikaboo Peak: it's a short climb, but it's pretty strenuous... especially when there's snow on the ground. Double bleh.

Lol, when I hit the front gate, I freaked out when I realized there were 2 guys in a black SUV up on the hill watching me. I snapped a picture and sped off, keeping an eye out behind me all the way. :P

Silly? Sure. But fun? Hell yes.

I guess I'm not THAT nerdy. None of the places described sound appealing at all.

I have family in carbondale.

The park will be visited come christmas.

That's a hilarious piece Mike, nice. I'll have to keep an eye out when I go near one of those places but for now I have Hobbiton to visit ;).

Tunisia... in europe?

gigastar:

Mike Kayatta:

Drove past it on my way to Vegas and saw some MQ-1 Predator Drones circling overhead, got some awesome photos.

I'd say it was worth it just for that :)

Some of the places sound cool, but I think I'm not the right kind of nerd. Besides, I have my own nerdy places to visit, some of which I've already seen.

For example, I've been to Weathertop, from The Lord of the Rings. At least, the hill that inspired Tolkien to create Weathertop. Screw some of the places in the list, I'll take my ancient hill fort.

Airsoftslayer93:
Tunisia... in europe?

8 comments in and finally someone notices it.
people come on. we only have 5 continents (not counting antarctica) and you still mess 8th grade geography up . . .

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here