Norwegian Mass Murderer Defends Gaming Habits

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Your title is wrong. Man doesn't "Defend gaming habits" So much as he does "Dismiss the idea that games made him do it."

Treblaine:
describe cold blooded murder of almost 80 unarmed people as self-defence

Well, if you think he is deranged for it, you should lobby to capture and put most american politicians into mental institutions as well.

Many have argued similar for other murders. If the victim is left or not white, it's usually excused like this. That's why Breivik is doing it, he's copying a defense strategy that works.

In fact, I remember people on this very side downplaying gun violence as not a big deal. HMMMM.

ph0b0s123:
Not quite how his gaming habits were reported below.

"The revelation came as Breivik described how he became a deadly marksman by honing his gun skills by playing the violent Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare computer game."
From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132002/Anders-Behring-Breivik-trial-Norwegian-mass-killer-played-violent-video-game-Call-Duty-16-hours-day.html

"Norway killer sharpened aim on computer games" (AP)

http://news.google.co.uk/news/story?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=R6c&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=breivik+game&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dbj7rP54nTTRWEMoA1Rme-kfvtgyM&ei=Q2GQT6q3HOmf0QWR_sSFAg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQqgIwAA

As per usual alarmist and clueless reporting. Just so disappointed how many respected publications (i.e not the mail above) are reporting as fact that you can improve your skills with a real gun from playing COD. Rather than reporting what he said and calling him out for being an idiot as what he is a saying would not work. You don't need great aim when unfortunately your victims don't have much of a chance to escape or fire back. And when you have two hours to walk around an island picking them off. All you need as a requirement for that, is serious metal issues....

If reporters and the media at large were about the truth friend, they'd being doing it for free. Truth doesn't sell.

Saviordd1:
Great, now the worst murderer in the world is gonna be considered a gamer, great times ahead.

He's also a huge dick, just saying.

Great, now the worst murderer in history is going to be considered animal friendly. So important.

OT: It strikes me as rather weird that he would use COD of all things to prepare for combat. I mean, really? COD? I played MW2 for ages and I wouldnt know a gun if it danced into my room and lodged itself in my rectum.

Captcha: want more? No thanks captcha. 77 odd people was quite enough.

Robert Ewing:
Oooooh god, here it comes...

Bend Over, Here It Comes Again. People don't realize that gaming and real world violence is a correlation not a causual relationship- even the field of psychology has mixed reactions. I lack analogies here as I'm just so mad.

Freakout456:
Seriously Norway you can't let this guy live. Slaughtering one person is evil.......multiply that by nearly 80. They need to put him to death for justice against the families affected by this. I mean most of them were children; that is just sick.

Your notion of ''He killed people so let's kill him.'' is also sick. What would that change? Do the Kids magically spring back to life when the Curse of Anders Breivik is lifted with his death? What part of giving the guy a easy way out is justice? What POINT does it have AT ALL?

So he'd be dead. Yay? All that matters is that he be removed from society. But I do think you should be removed aswell, you know, considering that you'd want to see him dead for petty revenge.

In the immortal words of Hudson Hawk,

"STOP HELPING ME!!"

One newspaper I read stated he had played the "violent" game World of Warcraft ...

I don't think he's insane. I think he's perfectly sane and killed in the name of his beliefs. A crusade if you will. He needs to go to jail. Although being drugged might be a worse torture in an asylum. I wish regular prisons and prisons for the criminally insane were as bad as you see in the movies. Much better deterrent and much better punishment imo ...

Monoochrom:

Freakout456:
Seriously Norway you can't let this guy live. Slaughtering one person is evil.......multiply that by nearly 80. They need to put him to death for justice against the families affected by this. I mean most of them were children; that is just sick.

Your notion of ''He killed people so let's kill him.'' is also sick. What would that change? Do the Kids magically spring back to life when the Curse of Anders Breivik is lifted with his death? What part of giving the guy a easy way out is justice? What POINT does it have AT ALL?

So he'd be dead. Yay? All that matters is that he be removed from society. But I do think you should be removed aswell, you know, considering that you'd want to see him dead for petty revenge.

Now that's a matter of morality and perspective, hell I could make a case that locking him up is even worse, because now you're forcing him to suffer by rotting away in a cell. While also leaving to chance him somehow managing to escape, which would be catastrophic. So by killing him, you're effectively removing him for good with no chance for his return, while also ensuring he doesn't suffer imprisonment for the next few decades or however long he lives.

Terramax:

KeyMaster45:

I know it's weird isn't it? I read what he said about playing WoW and thought maybe he really is sane. Then he claimed to have trained using CoD and realized he's not just insane, he's schizophrenic.

Aren't I right in saying militaries across the world use computer simulations to train their soldiers?

I don't know, are you? I've heard of militaries using computer sims to train people on aircraft, submarines, and such. I have not heard anything significant about them using simulators to train soldiers with things like urban combat or accuracy. If they are I can guarantee you they sure as hell won't be using CoD; I'm pretty sure Duck Hunt would train you for better accuracy with a gun than that.

zefiris:

Treblaine:
describe cold blooded murder of almost 80 unarmed people as self-defence

Well, if you think he is deranged for it, you should lobby to capture and put most american politicians into mental institutions as well.

Many have argued similar for other murders. If the victim is left or not white, it's usually excused like this. That's why Breivik is doing it, he's copying a defense strategy that works.

In fact, I remember people on this very side downplaying gun violence as not a big deal. HMMMM.

Precisely WHICH american politician ordered that ANY unarmed non-combatants - who had NO PART in any military or violent infrastructure - should be deliberately killed with premeditation with the sole intention of taking the lives of these innocent non-combatants? And how much has be been punished or marginalised for even suggesting such a thing?

Frankly I am insulted that you could compare the killing of notorious terrorist leaders, to the act of slaughtering a whole island full of children. You are trying to contrive a political comparison in a case clearly of utter deranged lunacy. You are taking a stance AGAINST the Norwegian prosecution (they are arguing for insanity) and playing right into Brevik's hands of contrived political legitimacy.

The killing of Usama Bin Laden is IN NO WAY SIMILAR AT ALL with the crimes of Brevik. I thought ONLY BREVIK would think that, it seems he is not alone in his twisted delusions of equivalence. Though I think your delusions is rather than for absolution be recrimination, that perhaps Obama should be put on trial for the raid on Usama Bin Laden's compound. Would you like that? To see America's first Black President in the dock for ridding the world of one of the most despicable and virulent mass murderers of the 21st century? If so, DO NOT CITE BREVIK IN THIS ISSUE!

What do you mean "this very side" Brevik doesn't have a "side" he is a lone lunatic that has precisely ZERO popular support, the only person he vaguely has on his side is a court-appointed defence lawyer.

Do NOT politicise this issue, that is PRECISELY what this lunatic want, he wants to back up his delusions with politics, but his motivations are from deep in his twisted brain, not any outside political movement in the wider will of the people.

Oh yeah, this happened to me once: after a marathon of Serious Sam, I ran out into the street with 20 guns strapped to me and shot a load of 20-foot monsters while running at 80 MPH.

....oh wait....

Clearly hes lying and games drove him to to kill those people.

Owyn_Merrilin:
That article doesn't have comments, but check this one: http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/19/world/europe/norway-breivik-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

You'll notice there's not a single complaint about call of duty, aside from one comment from a gamer laughing at him for using CoD and teamwork in the same sentence. It's not 2001 anymore; Hilary Clinton and Jack Thompson are no longer colluding to get rid of violent videogames. We've won. If there's any videogame related sensationalism going on, it's gaming news sites that whip up their userbase by implying a long dead controversy is still an issue.

Hey, whatever sells, yeah?

Wierdguy:
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?

I'm assuming no one. Pleading guilty would shorten his trial, giving him less of a platform.

The BBC's coverage gives me a picture of his "plan" as something like this:
1. Be incredibly xenophobic/racist.
2. Get world-wide media attention by killing a lot of innocent people.
3. Have aforementioned world-wide media hang on every word as you explain why you did it in court.
4. Preferably become a martyr. (He has already stated that the government should execute him, and called a long prison sentence "pathetic".)

The prosecution appear to be trying to derail this scheme by arguing that he's insane and should be put in a nut-house rather than go to prison. He has already stated that being declared insane (which would remove all meaning from his actions) would be "worse than death".

The guy ain't right in the head, brother! I can appreciate some good, honest craziness. But that guy? He's got something broke inside.
-Tychus Findlay

I've never held a gun, but I'm willing to bet that firing a gun (let alone an AK-47) is a lot different from holding a mouse and clicking away.
You don't need to be a brain surgeon to figure that out, it's common sense...

Do people still give a fuck about this incident? I got bored ages ago. Just throw the dude into prison, be done with it and move on. Everyone's tired of acting outraged already.

AdamRBi:
At least until that last part. If I was into conspiracies, I'd be calling shenanigans on him suddenly admitting that he used CoD as a training tool. But I'm not.

"Suddenly"? We have known his claims about Modern Warfare for months.

ForgottenPr0digy:
why are all these mass murdering always blaming Islam in all their manifestos??

Because of the "let me live in your country and tell you how you should do things" that pisses everyone off. Not enough to kill, but just read the manifesto if you're so interested. It's not going to control your mind or anything.

Eleima:
I've never held a gun, but I'm willing to bet that firing a gun (let alone an AK-47) is a lot different from holding a mouse and clicking away.

Depends. I don't know what you mean with the "AK47" part, because they are extremely rare and Breivik did not use one, he used a Mini-14.

It helps building some habits and it gives you the ability to mentally handle the action of shooting at humans.

I am very willing to bet that people exposed to first person shooters make more efficient shooters.

Mass-murderer denies that video games influenced his hating racist murders. Media claims the exact opposite.

Wierdguy:
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?

He claims it was an preemptive strike to defend the European nations.

Edit: Not European nations as in EU but the actual countries

Aside from this, I think he knows he's going to get life in prison and he's just going to keep feeding the media bullshit because why not?

Buretsu:
Anyone else thinks it sad that it's the unrepentant mass murderer who's speaking more logic than the media?

I know. It's disconcerting, like finding out you share Hitler's taste in curtains or something...

Well, I guess there had to be at least one drop of common sense in that ocean of insanity and racism.

But once again, why should the fragile masses open up their minds to how unstable and abhorrent the human race they belong to is capable of being, when they can just use something they don't understand as a scapegoat? After all, facts and reason don't help Average Joe sleep at night, nor do they think of his children.

When a total basketcase nazi supremist defends your favored pastime, you know your doing it right.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Well, I guess there had to be at least one drop of common sense in that ocean of insanity and racism.

SFMB:
When a total basketcase nazi supremist defends your favored pastime, you know your doing it right.

He is not a nazi nor racist. He made it clear that he do not have anything against jewish people or people of other ethnic background. I actually think he wrote that he has no problem with homosexuals either. He sees Muslims as a threat, and the people of norway to be traitors for letting in muslim immigrants and refugees.

Damn, I looks like I'm defending him. I really really don't, I just wanted to point out that this guy is a new kind of extreme right nut, something we don't have a word for yet.

Just wanted to point out the complexity of the situation

he used COD to train?

ugh.....horseshit. video games dont help you train for shit, there's a difference between and xbox controller that vibrates a little to a god damn rifle that fire actual bullets.

no comparison, it anything he should be a worse shot, assuming he didn't train with the rifle first, and i doubt he did in Norway.

that and COD cant even name their fucking guns right or put them in the right category. they for damn sure cant train anyone with a fully equipped ar-15.

Xifel:

NinjaDeathSlap:

SFMB:

He is not a nazi nor racist. He made it clear that he do not have anything against jewish people or people of other ethnic background. I actually think he wrote that he has no problem with homosexuals either. He sees Muslims as a threat, and the people of norway to be traitors for letting in muslim immigrants and refugees.

Damn, I looks like I'm defending him. I really really don't, I just wanted to point out that this guy is a new kind of extreme right nut, something we don't have a word for yet.

I never called him a Nazi, but he is insane and a racist. I'd say that anyone who thinks that all Muslim immigrants should die, along with anyone who collaborates with them, fits that description whatever half-baked justification they have for their actions.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Xifel:

NinjaDeathSlap:

SFMB:

I never called him a Nazi, but he is insane and a racist. I'd say that anyone who thinks that all Muslim immigrants should die, along with anyone who collaborates with them, fits that description whatever half-baked justification they have for their actions.

No, you didn't call him a nazi, the other guy I quoted did, just put it in the text together. Although I can't agree with you, as I don't consider muslims to be a race. Islamophobe is what he is.

I don't think he is giving a justification for his action, I think he really believe in what he did, and that he has a severely messed up view of the world. And that makes him even more horrible.

Death penalty would be to lenient. Better he sits in an isolation cell for the rest of his life. If he was killed he would consider himself a hero or martyr in the end. In a cell maybe he will realize what his done, and the memories would be a much much more fitting punishment. Also consider that he will be all alone in prison, since they can't put him with other convicts, as he would be killed at once...

Wow. Great.

Either this guy is not insane, and we have a monstrous person saying "It is not a habit, it is a hobby. Also, would you like to know about my racial purficiation plans?"

Or this guy is insane and they are not going to take his words serious and chop gaming up to being dangerous.

I appreciate the effort of this guy to be straight about his crimes, instead of bubbling it up with dribble about the problems of his childhood. That kind of honesty is awefully rare amongst psychopaths.

... Is that a wierd thing to appreciate?

Exterminas:
Wow. Great.

Either this guy is not insane, and we have a monstrous person saying "It is not a habit, it is a hobby. Also, would you like to know about my racial purficiation plans?"

Or this guy is insane and they are not going to take his words serious and chop gaming up to being dangerous.

I appreciate the effort of this guy to be straight about his crimes, instead of bubbling it up with dribble about the problems of his childhood. That kind of honesty is awefully rare amongst psychopaths.

... Is that a wierd thing to appreciate?

No, it is not. This is one of the most significant events in a long time. This possibility to have an insight into the mind of a somewhat sane terrorist and extremist. This could help the world to understand the threat the right-wing, christian fundamentalists really pose.

Note: I, of course do, not find any connection between this guy and normal christians, it just that this is what he presented himself as.

So video games made him kill people?

Or is he talking about that song by Lana Del Rey? Because I heard that song and it made me want to kill someone.

Unfortunately, that someone was myself. God that song is depressing.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Saviordd1:
Great, now the worst murderer in the world is gonna be considered a gamer, great times ahead.

He's also a huge dick, just saying.

Great, now the worst murderer in history is going to be considered animal friendly. So important.

OT: It strikes me as rather weird that he would use COD of all things to prepare for combat. I mean, really? COD? I played MW2 for ages and I wouldnt know a gun if it danced into my room and lodged itself in my rectum.

Captcha: want more? No thanks captcha. 77 odd people was quite enough.

This right here. In no way does playing any first person shooter prepare you for firing a real life firearm. I have spent a good number of years around guns (primarily for my career) and can tell you that it doesn't help me in shooter games. I can hit the red at 100 yards with an AR-15 with no issues, yet I constantly finish with a negative K/D ratio in shooters. If the action was equal then doing one would train you for the other in either direction (first law of physics, every action has an equal and opposite reaction).

"urthermore, Breivik claimed he also moved back home to have more time for writing his manifesto, a 1,500 page collection of hate-filled rambles against multiculturalism in Europe and Islam, and that his supposed game addiction was just a cover for his other activities. But when questioned about his gaming hobbies, Breivik asserted that WoW held no influence over his plans for the July attack.

"I know it is important to you and the media that I played this for a year," Breivik told the court about his time playing World of Warcraft. "But it has nothing to do with July 22. It is not a world you are engulfed by. It is quite simply a hobby."

Breivik later stated said he spent several months in 2010 extensively playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, claiming that he used the first person shooter to help hone his shooting skills because of the in-game holographic sight. He used a similar device when he carried out his attack on Utoya Island.

"You could give the sight to your grandmother and she would become a supermarksman," Breivik stated."

Why is the cold calculating murderous bastard talking more sense than the psychiatrists and mainstream media mommy? Well aside from the whole bit about learning to shoot from COD that is.

Seriously, there is something terribly wrong here.

Wierdguy:

If he was british... nah, even then.

ph0b0s123:
Not quite how his gaming habits were reported below.

"The revelation came as Breivik described how he became a deadly marksman by honing his gun skills by playing the violent Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare computer game."
From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132002/Anders-Behring-Breivik-trial-Norwegian-mass-killer-played-violent-video-game-Call-Duty-16-hours-day.html

"Norway killer sharpened aim on computer games" (AP)

http://news.google.co.uk/news/story?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=R6c&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=breivik+game&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dbj7rP54nTTRWEMoA1Rme-kfvtgyM&ei=Q2GQT6q3HOmf0QWR_sSFAg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQqgIwAA

As per usual alarmist and clueless reporting. Just so disappointed how many respected publications (i.e not the mail above) are reporting as fact that you can improve your skills with a real gun from playing COD. Rather than reporting what he said and calling him out for being an idiot as what he is a saying would not work. You don't need great aim when unfortunately your victims don't have much of a chance to escape or fire back. And when you have two hours to walk around an island picking them off. All you need as a requirement for that, is serious metal issues....

I don't have time to read the whole thread, so this might be redundant, but anyway: Most of the mainstream media in Norway has completely ridiculed the notion that he got any kind of real-world expertise from the games, and that he's just trying to cover up the fact that he was a friendless loner who played 17 hours of WoW on New Years Eve.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here