Norwegian Mass Murderer Defends Gaming Habits

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

In truth, I'm much less shocked by his rhetoric (considering the systematic method he used to kill people and his lack of guilt since, this was almost expected), and much more impressed by the Norwegian judicial process; despite the horrifying crime and the blatant truth that he's going in for a long time, they've gone through the entire process to ensure a fair trial for the psychopath...

I have much respect that they've been able to keep to a moral and Democratic trial in the face of such horrifying terrorism; in many ways, its a far more mature reaction to the tragedy compared to Britain or America.

Kudos to Norway.

Norwegian Mass Murderer Defends Knitting Habits

Anders Breivik recently refuted claims from a prosecutor that he was a financially bankrupt loser who spent years learning to knit while living in his mother's home.

It's funny how my edit is as relevant as the original.

Sooo... Our mass murderer is a gamer. Not a "I play video games." gamer, but an actual gamer gamer. As in: He actually speaks up against the "games -> murder" crowd.

... The plot thickens ... .. .

I mean, seriously, it took a mass-murderer/gamer stating it to get the media to even remotely realize their fault? Albeit they still twist it the other way around ...
Disturbing. In far too many ways.

Das Boot:

Edible Avatar:
It costs around 20,000 USD to incarcerate a man for a year. Sweden should make a "budget cut" and give him a short fall with a sudden stop.

You know its more expensive in the US to give somebody the death penalty then put them in jail for fifty years.

Oh.

Then let him live :D

The Artificially Prolonged:

GamerMage:
I saw this and thought "I may be psycotic,but don't my intelligence. It is just a hobby."

Its a sad day when a pychotic mass murderer appears to have more common sense than the media.

On topic:

However this guy is completely sick and twisted. I don't think Norway has a death penalty but really this guy needs one.

I concur. Guy deserves it. May he be driven mad by being forced to watch the Twilight movies! And leave a loaded pistol in there and it should take care of itself. But seriously,the guy deserves a swift death for what he's done. And what I was trying to put in but forgot to check was "I maybe be psycotic,but don't insult my intelligence.It's a hobby." I'll agree,though,it's hillariously depressing (Ah,what a juicy contradiction. Bonus points if you get the reference.) that a nutjob has more sense than the media.

Just friendly advice for those who suffered from this person
Few simple steps how to get rid of him
1.Find the prison he will be transferred to
2.In that prison find some recidivist from Eastern Europe or Russia
3.Hint them who and why would you like to see dead
(explanation: in Norway prisons conditions are far better than average living conditions in their countries of origin. That's why a lot of those who continue to commit crimes are doing that on purpose to increase their jailtime. Those are mostly thieves, but even thief would like to punish such animal, especially if he's getting something in return. And even if you're offering nothing in return, some will do that as a favor for community- tradition from ex-soviet states, where violent crimes against children are considered worst of the kind)
4.Problem solved, you get revenge, executioner(s) get more jailtime, and there is one horrible human being less in the world. Everybody wins (except that horrible human being, but honestly, who cares?)

Call of duty makes you a gun toting mass murderer?

One would assume then that Mass Effect 3 makes you a Space Fairing Buttpirate who gets laid by beautiful women constantly.

And the Sims makes you lead a Successful life with a wife and child (or husband), get the job of your dreams, and makes thousands of dollars on your computer by writing a novel in 2 nights entitled "Llamas for Carlton".

How can we forget Skyrim!?!? That turns you into a fire throwing Orc, or an Axe Wielding Cat person that slays dragons left and right with 0 effort.

But we cant forget the greatest travesty here! Oh no, The Sun and The New York Times. They turn you into a mindless idiot who believes anything published in bold print.

I wont lie, anyone can fire a gun. Hes right, you could give your grandmother a gun, show her the sights and she'd become a marksman. Because 90% of firearms out there are so easy a child could use them. And in Africa, quite a few do from what i hear. But these stories should be sued for slander by gaming industries. There is 0 evidence showing that gaming makes you a murderer, or even more violent then your average person. Look how many murders happen that ARNT related to gaming. I mean, what happened to people just being "Bat-sh*t insane"?

This waste of food is not one of us, and we gamers do not condone his actions.

dyre:
I wouldn't really call it "one of the worst acts of mass murder ever committed." I mean, yeah, it's awful, but the world's seen some pretty bad mass murders.

Why is it relevant for the prosecutor to claim that he's "a financially bankrupt loser who spent years playing video games in his mother's home" anyway? Isn't enough that he killed 77 people?

I think the prosecutor just wanted to have a go at him... understandable considering the circumstances... i'd be tempted to get a few verbal swipes at him in myself.

Vornek:
He killed a bunch of people in what he saw as some sort of twisted justice, and now he tries to shift the blame from himself to anything he can:
-V

I would disagree with this statement. He said that the only two just outcomes of this trial would be aquital or the death penalty (1). He also said that his acts were "atrocious but necessary" (2). Those are not the words of a man who is trying to shift blame onto "anything" else.

And as for the other general trend I always see on the internet when discussing Breivik, the "he's just a murderer stop giving him all the media attention" trend, I believe you are selling what happened in Norway short by just saying he was a madman. Have you read what he has written? Listened to what he is saying? Make no mistake - this guy is a monster, but he isn't crazy (3); and because of that there needs to be some investigation into why he did what he did.

The fact that media is censoring what he has to say is sickening to me, who are they to decide what we should be allowed to hear(4)? And even after the judge stressed the fact that it is a human right to be allowed to at least attempt to explain yourself? In b4 flaming; I'm not saying it is likely that he has very good reasoning for doing what he did, I'm just raising the question here. Calm down. Count to ten. Go look at some kittens.

1.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17752189
2.http://hypervocal.com/news/2011/anders-behring-breivik-norway-gunman-plagiarist-calls-actions-atrocious-but-necessary/
3.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/norway/9195351/Norway-massacre-gunman-Anders-Behring-Breivik-not-insane.html
4.http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/the-question/should-the-media-censor-anders-behring-breivik-20120420-1xcnu.html

Terramax:

KeyMaster45:

I know it's weird isn't it? I read what he said about playing WoW and thought maybe he really is sane. Then he claimed to have trained using CoD and realized he's not just insane, he's schizophrenic.

Aren't I right in saying militaries across the world use computer simulations to train their soldiers?

Its different, I've used a steyr AUG simulator myself (im afraid i don't know the official title of the simulator)... what it focuses on is muzzel drift, pressure on the grips, pressure against the shoulder, drift between shots. recoil... this thing is amazing and it improved my aim tenfold, its about shooting properly not quickly, it simulates everything from putting the magazine on and off and cocking the weapon properly, it even simulates recoil, you are using an actual steyr replica.

I also play computer games, and i've played them for a long time before i signed up with the Army reserve, and i can tell you COD did nothing for my aiming :) The simulator i used with the military however did.

Brevik is basically talking through his arse, the man is a fantasist and he's trying to equate computer gaming as some sort of military training to feed his crusader/delusion fantasy.

Capcha says: Marry me!! didn't even know it cared.

Terramax:

Sougo:
The ONLY thing I don't get is WHY is his trial going to run for 10 WEEKS???

This trial is not just to decide whether he's guilty or not, but to learn.

If we just annihilated people whom created atrocities like this, we wouldn't learn what makes them tick. How they came to such extreme thoughts. He's told the judge that he met a handful of people in England whom encouraged his actions to a high degree, or who may also be plotting similar attacks.

Also, if interrogations like this are done off screen, we could have the media exaggerating, or making up events, distorting the real scenario at hand.

Bin Laden was shot on the spot hence we'll never know so many secrets he was holding in that head of his. I for one don't want this guy being silenced before we here every detail leading up to these sorrowful events.

I see your point, but at the same time...

He has himself stated that his plans worked better than expected, and that he didn't even expect to have survived that day. He also knows that he is a condemned man now. The only thing he CAN do is spread his thoughts, his sources, his plans and his 'ideology,' and hope the media spreads that far and wide to as many people.

Given the majority of people will scoff and condemn his thoughts, but there are always some nutters out there that draw inspiration from such stuff. For example, the series of copycat school shootings/attacks that recently gripped china and the US.

Even if you learn of his sources, you can't implicate them in the attack. In the end, what does that change. The murderer got his message across, and we helped him spread it.

I do agree that he should be interrogated for his contacts and people who egged him on. But behind closed doors. Otherwise you may as well be informing people with similar prejudices/hatred where they can find more of their own kind.

Its a minor note, but he's not claiming self defence, hes calling "nødrett" its kinda hard to explain i guess, kinda like Obama went nuts and tried to nuke everyone and his chief of security shoots him in the head, of course this is just bullshit, but thats what his defence is based on, thought i'd just correct it. nødrett translates to emergency rights.
He says he has "nødrett" because europe is beeing, according to him, taken over by muslims, and that utøya was an indoctrination camp.

Xifel:

Exterminas:
Wow. Great.

Either this guy is not insane, and we have a monstrous person saying "It is not a habit, it is a hobby. Also, would you like to know about my racial purficiation plans?"

Or this guy is insane and they are not going to take his words serious and chop gaming up to being dangerous.

I appreciate the effort of this guy to be straight about his crimes, instead of bubbling it up with dribble about the problems of his childhood. That kind of honesty is awefully rare amongst psychopaths.

... Is that a wierd thing to appreciate?

No, it is not. This is one of the most significant events in a long time. This possibility to have an insight into the mind of a somewhat sane terrorist and extremist. This could help the world to understand the threat the right-wing, christian fundamentalists really pose.

Note: I, of course do, not find any connection between this guy and normal christians, it just that this is what he presented himself as.

I agree, the only good that will come out of this is that Norways psychologists can poke and prod and anal probe this nutcase to their hearts content and see what in christs name turns a human being into something like that.

This guy's fantasy's and pseudo love of discipline and nationalism is akin to hitler's i think and this is an opportunity to figure out how to spot and treat individuals like this. Learning about the bullshit thats in this mans head might help society to undermine and nip emerging facist/skinhead/rightwing trends in the future.

So, basically the last guy we want to defend gaming is defending gaming?

Good times.

gigastar:
Why is he even pleading not guilty? Everything he has said since the trial started has contributed in some way to extending his already very long prison sentence.

In Scandinavia this is all we read about.
When he got into psychological tests to see if he is "mad" which would make his sentence "shorter" and "different" he got all mad and said that would be an "ultimate humiliation" against evrything "he and his bretheren" work for. So the way he sees it the longer he serves his sentence the better job he did.

This is horrible, his main target was not killed thou, he had plans to dicapitate the man (a politician) but hopefully he serves a long and painful sentence.
And I certainly hope shit like this would stop happening.

kenu12345:
I have been reading on this and i hate that the max prison sentence he can serve is 22 years.
Btw he says he is not guilty because he was "protecting" the nation from other religions.
I hate this monster.

Actually our maximum sentence is 21 years, but in cases like this we have something (I think it's called probation) where he will have to go through a new sort of trial where they will decide if it's safe to release him or not. Every time he goes through one of these he can be sentenced an extra 5 years before the process is repeated. In this case I doubt he'll get out.

... Our justice system is very flawed. That man only gets 22 years for killing over 77 teenagers? Crap a homeless man stole $100 from a store, then returned it .. and yet he got 15 years of prison. How is this man getting off so easy? Then again who knows the sentence might change or ... eh. I'm just going to pray for those lost souls. They didn't deserve to die, none of those groups of teens did. They still had so much to live for.

Also the guy's bat-insane. He treats reality as fiction and doesn't seem to know what he really did wrong at all. Jeez....

OniaPL:
Do people still give a fuck about this incident? I got bored ages ago. Just throw the dude into prison, be done with it and move on. Everyone's tired of acting outraged already.

The interesting part in this case is not the murder itself but the way he thinks.
Is he insane? is he not? if not what made him do this, how can it be spotted so it won't happen again? If he is insane, how can he act so calmly and sanely even if actually is insane?
The cases were psychologists, biologists etc get to study people like this are very rare, We could learn a lot from his case.
But the murder thing and all teh writing is making it a bit "dull" since evryone is basically repeating the same thing. But as far I "know" (as in reading and stuff (newspapers, internet etc)) he is sane, which makes him an interesting subject to study.
(sory it's late and that is one strange text I wrote there.)

Self defense. I see he's using the Jimbo and Ned blanket. "It's comin' right for us"! Seems...... no, no it isn't.
Ehh they'll lock this dude up, why it's taking so long. He killed 77 people, blew up the front of a building. Just toss him in, save the people some scars and money.

Nah, I bet before his prison sentence is out, some other prisoner will shank him.

Tommy Toejam:
Its a minor note, but he's not claiming self defence, hes calling "nødrett" its kinda hard to explain i guess, kinda like Obama went nuts and tried to nuke everyone and his chief of security shoots him in the head, of course this is just bullshit, but thats what his defence is based on, thought i'd just correct it. nødrett translates to emergency rights.
He says he has "nødrett" because europe is beeing, according to him, taken over by muslims, and that utøya was an indoctrination camp.

Put that way it seems totally reasonable.

Guy clearly created his own mythology about how the world works and staunchly believes in it. It's amazing how people can develop such a sharp understanding of the workings of politics and population migrations in the real world while playing WoW 16 hours a day.

If you have cause to kill 77 people in self defense, then you

MatsVS:

kenu12345:
I have been reading on this and i hate that the max prison sentence he can serve is 22 years.

Even after 21 years, Breivik won't be released from prison if there is an overwhelming chance that he will pose further danger to society. And considering his extremist views and actions, that is most certainly the case. The Norwegian justice system is built around a system of rehabilitation, prevention and treatment, not revenge, and I would not have it any other way.

It seems to me that any issue that can't be fixed in, oh, ten years at most simply can't be fixed. I really can't imagine that someone who holds out against counselling and offers of drug treatment for 15 years would ever give in then and be ready a few years later... really, it seems odd that such large sentences would be given out, if rehabilitation was truly the entirety of the intent.

I for one find it difficult to concieve of a justice system where the penalties for one's crimes are not counted seperately and added... if you kill 77 innocent people (on purpose, knowing what you're doing, etc), I think you SHOULD end up with some ridiculously long sentence you could never hope to serve. Even if you killed these people one after another through a sniper sight, I believe is the case? It's not one action. It's 77 different counts of murder, 77 times you pulled that trigger and watched someone's life ebb away. Chances #2-78, and you don't get any more. Not in this life, anyway... there comes a point where the decision of whether to offer mercy falls on broader shoulders than just us here.

Gaming is, of course, completely incidental to this atrocity. People who cannot function in society for one reason or another may well be drawn to games as an escape, and a smaller subset of those may be drawn to mass murder, but to try to relate the two directly is clearly madness.

If I live to see this man leave prison...

I will NOT be a happy man!

weirdguy:
Wait, his irl gun sight autotargets? That's pretty snazzy.

How do you think he racked up that killstreak?

I wish the American Judicial system was more like that. Thank you for stating the truth so nicely. Revenge is a pointless act and I'm sure even 21 years in jail before they even look at parol wont be leading to release all things considered. I live in Alaska and there is a widely publicized case of a young women being kidnapped, I think the FBI getting involved is just an excuse to use the death penalty since our state doesn't do that. I don't think anyone has the moral high ground to end someone else's life like it's a side show.

very true.

Wierdguy:
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?

I think the claim is that he was acting in self defense because his attacks were to defend ethnic Norwegians. It's shaky at best, but I think that's the reasoning.

He has made much more insane claims than that though. The craziest yet is probably that the only way justice can be served is if Norway reinstates the death penalty and kills him or just lets him off entirely.

GamerAddict7796:
If I live to see this man leave prison...

I will NOT be a happy man!

You will. Due to the Norwegian maximum sentence laws he will be out in 21 years.

What came as a suprise to me, was that every statement from officials and experts on the field, was that they were certain that the games had next to no effects, and that he's just rambling. (I've watched the trial minute by minute a couple days, and the guys a wacko. Not psychotic, just messed up, iand totally devoid of empathy.

2012 Wont Happen:

Wierdguy:
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?

I think the claim is that he was acting in self defense because his attacks were to defend ethnic Norwegians. It's shaky at best, but I think that's the reasoning.

He has made much more insane claims than that though. The craziest yet is probably that the only way justice can be served is if Norway reinstates the death penalty and kills him or just lets him off entirely.

I don't see how that's crazy. I'm guessing his line of logic is that either the prosecutors see through his actions as a sort of martyr's sacrifice for the good of Norway - in which case his 77 killstreak would be a necessarily gruesome eye-opening sacrifice for the benefit of the remaining 5 million Norwegians - OR they would treat his crime at face value - as a arbitrary act of random killing with no "high" motivations. In which case such a heinous deed would only be punishable by death.

While we're at it I'm curious as to how his mind works. I've always been fascinated by how the fanatism of a man's mind works when he or she is ready to give up life for ideals.

You know, for some reason I don't think we need someone like Breivik defending the medium. Not sure why.

I just know certain papers here in the UK will emphasise the gaming thing as though it caused all of this. I'd rather us gamers weren't lumped into the same category as this evil, vile monster. I really can't quite believe his attitude throughout this, it's almost a sort of trolling, if trolling involved the mindless killing of DOZENS of innocent people.

archont:

2012 Wont Happen:

Wierdguy:

I don't see how that's crazy. I'm guessing his line of logic is that either the prosecutors see through his actions as a sort of martyr's sacrifice for the good of Norway - in which case his 77 killstreak would be a necessarily gruesome eye-opening sacrifice for the benefit of the remaining 5 million Norwegians - OR they would treat his crime at face value - as a arbitrary act of random killing with no "high" motivations. In which case such a heinous deed would only be punishable by death.

While we're at it I'm curious as to how his mind works. I've always been fascinated by how the fanatism of a man's mind works when he or she is ready to give up life for ideals.

It's crazy because his demand necessitates a change to the Norwegian justice system just to deal with his case. They haven't had a death penalty for over a hundred years.

Not only that, he is demanding that they change the justice system to kill him and it's not as if it is to get out of life in prison. Currently the maximum he can serve is 21 years. He will live to be released from prison.

And to figure out how the mind of somebody willing to die for an ideal works just talk to a United States marine. They are a lot more approachable and a hell of a lot more abundant than Breivik.

2012 Wont Happen:
It's crazy because his demand necessitates a change to the Norwegian justice system just to deal with his case. They haven't had a death penalty for over a hundred years.

Not only that, he is demanding that they change the justice system to kill him and it's not as if it is to get out of life in prison. Currently the maximum he can serve is 21 years. He will live to be released from prison.

And to figure out how the mind of somebody willing to die for an ideal works just talk to a United States marine. They are a lot more approachable and a hell of a lot more abundant than Breivik.

From a purely practical point of view it is kind of crazy to demand death penalty for a crime in a country which has abolished it over 100 years ago, you're right. Then again 1/3 of the posters here on this forum and elsewhere on the internet are demanding the very same crazy thing.

As for Marines I appreciate the suggestion but you've misinterpreted the mindset. Breivik's self-made mission was a one-way street leading to death or life in prison. Despite the risk being a soldier doesn't mean certainty of death. The kind of mindset I'm talking about is reflected in his quote

If you embrace death before you go into action, you will be ten times as potent

Captcha: do unto others - how relevant

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook