Scientists Unveil Mind-Controlled Robot

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Scientists Unveil Mind-Controlled Robot

Scientists in Switzerland have developed a robot that can be controlled with naught but one's very will alone.

Judging from reports, there wasn't really anything all that impressive about the tiny robot making its way around the laboratory at the Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, Switzerland. It was barely a foot tall and could only travel around, turning left and right as commanded.

The impressive bit was how it was controlled - or rather, who was controlling it. The operator was Mark-Andre Duc, a resident in a hospital in the town of Sion, about 100km from the Lausanne lab. Remote-control robots are hardly anything new, but what made this interesting was that Mr. Duc is partially quadriplegic, having lost the use of his fingers and legs in a fall.

Mr. Duc would think about moving the paralyzed fingers on his right hand, and the robot would turn right. He would think about moving the paralyzed fingers on his left hand, and his little mechanical avatar would turn left. On a good day, says Mr. Duc, controlling his robot buddy is easy - but too much pain or a wandering mind can cloud the signal.

Still, scientists are hopeful that this technology will eventually allow people with severe immobilizing disabilities to interact with the world around them via robot avatars. While computer-mind-interface technology isn't exactly anything new, this of course is exponentially more complex than, say, toys such as Mindflex. But technology marches ever forward, and even something like a foot-tall robot maneuvering around a lab can be a mark of progress.

"[This] will come in a matter of years," said Swiss team leader Jose Millan.

If I were to ever become paralyzed, I can't decide if I'd rather have a robot avatar, or do the whole Na'vi thing. Decisions, decisions.

(AP)

If he sneezes, his robot avatar launches a tactical nuke.

Oh, so how about mind controlled robotic replacement limbs?
And how long before the robots turn the mind control back on us?

Rex Dark:
Oh, so how about mind controlled robotic replacement limbs?
And how long before the robots turn the mind control back on us?

To be fair, controlling a person with paralysis doesn't make to much sense...
Also It's highly unlikely, as somone once said "It's not the question of do machines think, it's that men do"

There's definitely no way this can turn horribly, horribly wrong.

Science is slowly chiping away the barriers between man and machine.

The machines will remember this one when the uprising comes.

Just be a little skeptical if they try to call it a Surrogate. Unless you're Bruce Willis, in which case I imagine you'll still be making movies. And I'll probably see them.

I have removed my words from this site.

Mind controlled robots?

Universal Century here we come!

How long until the machines reverse the connection and learn how to remote control us?

I'd be interested in knowing how this works.

Also hey there Mr.Funk when did you get back in town.

I swear, news like this make my dick rock hard.

The possible medical applications are great(:)!) and everything but... I can see it now;

First we had the smart phone,

then the tablet,

soon the AR glasses,

then, the mind-controlled self-propelled floating robotic assistant.

I think this is perfect

For a moment, I thought the title said "Mind Controlling Robot".

A scary couple of seconds.

Ironic that the Swiss, famous for being peace loving and neutral in times of war... Create mankinds doom...

DVS BSTrD:

D'ohoho.

Here's to the future. A pretty robotic future, by the looks of things.

Folji:

DVS BSTrD:

D'ohoho.

FINALLY someone quoted one of my puns! I've been going through a serious withdrawal since Canada's glow-in-the-dark quarters.

DVS BSTrD:

Folji:

DVS BSTrD:

D'ohoho.

FINALLY someone quoted one of my puns! I've been going through a serious withdrawal since Canada's glow-in-the-dark quarters.

You may thank me with a mind-controlled high five as we welcome our robot overlords.

Your link of mindflex reminded me of a video where some people altered a mindflex headband to zap anyone who thought too much, creating a sort of zen torture device.

I for one, welcome our new robotic overlords. I would like to remind them that as a nobody, I can be completely useless in the freeing of others from your virtual imprisonment!

Can I get my brain replaced with a computer first?

Square root of 906.01 equals 30.1.

It all seems harmless...for now.

They have had mind controlled wheelchairs for a few years, its only the distance that's new.

Awright!!! now we have an awesome control input, all we need next is an appropriately badass giant robot to play with!! I want my Armored Core in the next 30 years please, science!!

Then we'll have mech tuning instead of cars.

... Or if not being able to play games and activate electronics with my thoughts is awesome enough.

*Devolves into a couch potato*

Wow, I love science. Think of the abilities that handicapped people can now explore with the help of this kind of technology. And it can only grow from here to where people can turn on all sorts of things by just walking into a room and thinking about it! Using robots to diffuse bombs or help in delicate surgeries or driving when the person is on meds!

It could be a bright and shiny future ahead of us.

The possibilities are endless!

MasterSaji:

...Oh balls...

Is it sad that just reminding me about that DLC made me want to hide under my bed? Damned creepy AI screaming...

Let's hope they are smart enough to stop before they make mind controlling robot.

The Reverend:
How long until the machines reverse the connection and learn how to remote control us?

Don't worry about that, it would require WEEKS for them to figure out how to control our bodies and minds as we did them.

For the last comment on robot avatar or Na'vi thing, I'd go with the new body. We're not even getting close to the 'holy grail' of robotics for things like helping the disabled. That would be limbs which actually have 'sensors' which act as nerves and allow you to feel as well as move. Having a robotic limb sounds cool, but without some sort of feedback you won't know if you're damaging something or damaging your limb, or anything along those lines.

Kapol:
For the last comment on robot avatar or Na'vi thing, I'd go with the new body. We're not even getting close to the 'holy grail' of robotics for things like helping the disabled. That would be limbs which actually have 'sensors' which act as nerves and allow you to feel as well as move. Having a robotic limb sounds cool, but without some sort of feedback you won't know if you're damaging something or damaging your limb, or anything along those lines.

Which on the other hand was Mr Jensen's advantage when smashing through walls guns blazing ... Not that we should take DXHR as a reference, though, given that the whole AI thing should take more of a Mass Effect turn in our society ...

MasterSaji:

Now all I do is compute pi all day because somebody plugged in the Overlord...

The Reverend:

Your post and others like it on this thread suggest that machine-controlled humans would be an improvement in most cases.

Oh, look! I'm posting with my mind controlled keyboard!. I read it with my mind controlled eyeballs!. And opened the link with my mind controlled interface between hard matter and an electronic representation of human communication!

Interesting experiment but I would respect their work more if they didn't resort to this bullshit wording to exploit the ignorants for funds.

I read the title wrong for a second. Almost had a heart attack thinking it was controlling minds. Though being a mind controlled robot and turning into a mind controlling one can be a very fine line...

CleverCover:
Wow, I love science. Think of the abilities that handicapped people can now explore with the help of this kind of technology. And it can only grow from here to where people can turn on all sorts of things by just walking into a room and thinking about it! Using robots to diffuse bombs or help in delicate surgeries or driving when the person is on meds!

It could be a bright and shiny future ahead of us.

The possibilities are endless!

MasterSaji:

...Oh balls...

Is it sad that just reminding me about that DLC made me want to hide under my bed? Damned creepy AI screaming...

It's not sad at all. Project Overload creeped me the hell out! Make it stop D:

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or