GameStop Goes Big on PC Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

GameStop Goes Big on PC Games

GameStop is "massively expanding" its in-store selection of downloadable PC games.

Curious how a retailer can increase its offerings of in-store, downloadable games? It works like this: You go into your local GameStop, browse through a selection of "focus titles" represented by internally-produced faux-DVD cases [or just tell the guy at the counter what you want] and then, having made your selection, you hand over the dough. In return, you'll get a receipt with a unique redemption code and instructions on what to do with it, which pretty much boils down to a trip to GameStop's website. Enter the code and, pow! The game is yours!

GameStop now has more than 1500 PC titles for sale at its GameStop stores across the U.S., which is says represents "one of the most extensive collections of PC games available at retail." You can save yourself a trip to the mall by just going straight to GameStop.com, of course, but the in-store setup allows gamers to make digital purchases with cash, gift cards and trade-in credits.

The huge selection of games, combined with GameStop's pervasive retail presence - like it or not, GameStop is a huge operation, with 4400 stores across the U.S. - might just give it the muscle it needs to slug with Steam, or at least to stay relevant in a market that's increasingly focused on digital. It's not of much use to PC gamers who lack the pipe to download full-sized games but for a big part of its customer base, having retail-level access to such a huge range of games, including some rather obscure titles - Hearts of Iron III: Dies Irae Gotterdammerung, anyone? - is a pretty huge deal.

Sorry, but is this an advertisement for gamestop masquerading as news?

Not much use to me anyway as GS just closed in NI.

Andy Chalk:

GameStop now has more than 1500 PC titles for sale at its GameStop stores across the U.S., which is says represents "one of the most extensive collections of PC games available at retail." You can save yourself a trip to the mall by just going straight to GameStop.com, of course, but the in-store setup allows gamers to make digital purchases with cash, gift cards and trade-in credits.

By titles do they mean number of WoW, Star Craft 1, Warcraft and Sims box sets, while counting the expansions in each box set as separate titles?

Matthew94:

I thought the same thing but not with this thread, but with the one about Amazon selling Mass Effect for 30 bucks. I suppose this topic proves they're not really siding with a company but just posting things that might be relevant to gamers...

And I'm not being paid to make them look good either. I know that sounded like an ad... :l

OT: GameStop has been selling such games for a while now. But I guess it wasn't that big of a deal to make it to the news the first day they did this.

Akisa:

Andy Chalk:

By titles do they mean number of WoW, Star Craft 1, Warcraft and Sims box sets, while counting the expansions in each box set as separate titles?

I know what you're thinking of. You're thinking of the in-store selection of DISC based PC games. Those are pretty weak, I must admit. But this article is about digital downloads. So you go to the counter, you ask for a copy of Plants vs. Zombies for the PC, you give them cash and you get the code and instructions.

You can even ask for a list of all the games available for download.

At least you cannot resell a digital game (although knowing Gamestop they will think of a way).

I hope this will kill their second hand resale rip-off market.

Im glad GameStop is trying to pick their clothes up off the floor. PC gaming is growing, and they need to accommodate that. And 1500 pc titles is a bit more then i would have guessed.

And i wont lie, the prices are pretty good. Not as good as 70% off steam sales, but still pretty decent.

Andy Chalk:
In return, you'll get a receipt with a unique redemption code and instructions on what to do with it, which pretty much boils down to a trip to GameStop's website. Enter the code and, pow! The game is yours!

[...]

You can save yourself a trip to the mall by just going straight to GameStop.com, of course

I am missing the part where I have any motivation to go to the store in the first place rather than the website. Basically this new service enables me to purchase digital downloads of PC games, just like I've already been doing for years, only in a less convenient, more time-consuming way? Awesome! Where do I sign up?

Beautiful End:

Matthew94:

I thought the same thing but not with this thread, but with the one about Amazon selling Mass Effect for 30 bucks. I suppose this topic proves they're not really siding with a company but just posting things that might be relevant to gamers...

And I'm not being paid to make them look good either. I know that sounded like an ad... :l

OT: GameStop has been selling such games for a while now. But I guess it wasn't that big of a deal to make it to the news the first day they did this.

Akisa:

Andy Chalk:

I know what you're thinking of. You're thinking of the in-store selection of DISC based PC games. Those are pretty weak, I must admit. But this article is about digital downloads. So you go to the counter, you ask for a copy of Plants vs. Zombies for the PC, you give them cash and you get the code and instructions.

Does that mean you can sell your used downloads back? ;p
But are you going to be tied to a gamestop anyway or shape or form doesn't sit well with me.

Akisa:

Beautiful End:

Matthew94:

Akisa:

Does that mean you can sell your used downloads back? ;p
But are you going to be tied to a gamestop anyway or shape or form doesn't sit well with me.

No...you get 30% more when you trade in your used codes towards the pre-order of another code. Dx

Well, I guess it's a good choice if, like the article said, you have cash and you want a PC game and you don't have Steam or whatever. But at the same time, PC gamers usually avoid GameStop because of their poor disc-based PC games selection. So I see what GameStop is doing there...

If they're gonna devote shelf space to these fake boxes, why not... I donno, have real ones?

Problem is that most PC gamers abandoned GameStop as a waste of time years ago. They haven't carried jack squat for ages, I think PC gamers have already migrated to fairer climes. It would take those alternative sources pissing the gamers off in addition to this for gamers to come back.

They're also offering massive "discounts" on a bunch of them for Rewards members through May, as much as 75% off.

Well, they did spend lots of money getting Stardock's digital distribution platform from them (forgot what it's called), so it figures they're making use of it. It'll probably be way more profitable for them than the actual PC box sales, too. Too bad I'm never going to use it because GameStop has such miserable business practices.

I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind-of a big deal. PC gamers know me

Cool I guess, but what's the point of going IN STORE to get a redemption code for a game you download? The store is once again, the middle man.

JenSeven:
At least you cannot resell a digital game (although knowing Gamestop they will think of a way).

PC gaming isn't exactly known for it's second-hand market.

So let me get this straight, Gamestop wants us to go down to their store a buy a download which we could easily do from home from a selection Digital Download sites. Nice try Gamestop but no.

captcha

good night

well said captcha

Only reason to go the Gamestop instead of buying online is you can trade in games quickly in store and get credit to buy new games by digital download.
You can get more money selling your games on Ebay, but will take longer to get your cash.

JenSeven:

You get that bullet out of your foot yet?

Nalgas D. Lemur:

Andy Chalk:
In return, you'll get a receipt with a unique redemption code and instructions on what to do with it, which pretty much boils down to a trip to GameStop's website. Enter the code and, pow! The game is yours!

[...]

You can save yourself a trip to the mall by just going straight to GameStop.com, of course

I am missing the part where I have any motivation to go to the store in the first place rather than the website. Basically this new service enables me to purchase digital downloads of PC games, just like I've already been doing for years, only in a less convenient, more time-consuming way? Awesome! Where do I sign up?

Well, it's for people who don't want to store their credit card on Gamestops site. It is the same as buying cards for Live and PSN.

Andy Chalk:
It's not of much use to PC gamers who lack the pipe to download full-sized games but for a big part of its customer base, having retail-level access to such a huge range of games, including some rather obscure titles - Hearts of Iron III: Dies Irae Gotterdammerung, anyone? - is a pretty huge deal.

You're linking to DLC for Hearts of Iron III. Is Paradox Interactive really that obscure?

MEH

I have GOG for PC games, who cares about GS?

You have to keep in mind that some of us do not have access to a credit card. This makes getting stuff off of Steam and the like somewhat difficult. Sure, we could pick up a prepaid gift credit card, but the activation fees on those are ridiculous. I don't want to have to pay an extra $5 to buy $50 worth of stuff.

Nalgas D. Lemur:

Andy Chalk:

[...]

Okay, this is spooky.... Because THAT is exactly what my first thought was.... WHY get out of my chair, drive to the store to buy a code that lets me buy a downloadable game, when I can just buy it online? I mean it sounds great if you don't have access to a credit card and want to buy a PC game, but other than that I can't see a use for it.

So after all these years of snubbing us PC gamers, they want our money now? Hypocrites!

Andy Chalk:
GameStop now has more than 1500 PC titles for sale at its GameStop stores across the U.S., which is says represents "one of the most extensive collections of PC games available at retail."
including some rather obscure titles - Hearts of Iron III: Dies Irae Gotterdammerung, anyone? - is a pretty huge deal.

Wow man nice gamestop ad. Its good to know that they are up to about half as many games as most digital distribution stores and they have a DLC that every other major digital distribution store has. Even the ability to pay without a credit card is something that other stores already do. I mean this is so impressive that I think I'll just keep giving my money to GamersGate.

Seems like a situation where they should have went to Valve and said "Hey, we have retail stores that tons of people go to, you have a great distribution platform. We should team up to get the content out to more people and split the profits in a fair way."

SachielOne:
You have to keep in mind that some of us do not have access to a credit card. This makes getting stuff off of Steam and the like somewhat difficult. Sure, we could pick up a prepaid gift credit card, but the activation fees on those are ridiculous. I don't want to have to pay an extra $5 to buy $50 worth of stuff.

Most banks will open a debit card for you if you deposit more than like $100 at the start, it's insanely simple, no charges, and I'm baffled as to why everyone doesn't have a debit card at least.
Hell I've stopped carrying more than $10 in my wallet just because why bother? 99% of places have credit card machines and if you ever get mugged robbers want cash not cards because they don't have the pin and 2 minutes later you're going to call up and cancel that card.

Nalgas D. Lemur:

Indeed. All the bad points of downloaded games, all the bad points of meatworld shopping, none of the advantages of either. How on Earth did anyone think this was a good idea?

SachielOne:
You have to keep in mind that some of us do not have access to a credit card. This makes getting stuff off of Steam and the like somewhat difficult.

No it doesn't. You don't need a credit card to use Steam, or pretty much any other online site for that matter. All you need is a debit card, and all you need for that is a bank account. And let's be honest, if you don't have a bank account you're fairly unlikely to be buying a lot of games. I only got a credit card myself last year (and that was only for the free goodies, I haven't actually used it since), yet somehow I've managed perfectly well for the last decade or so.

GOG, Steam, Origin, Direct2Drive, Gamersgate.

So now I could have another service to split my games between? Oh goody.

OT: I use GOG and Steam the most and the others for the obscure and I think I used Origin once for BF3 and have not gone back. I see no point in this and it will die just as quick as GAME's Digital Distribution Service.

Kahani:

SachielOne:
You have to keep in mind that some of us do not have access to a credit card. This makes getting stuff off of Steam and the like somewhat difficult.

No it doesn't. You don't need a credit card to use Steam, or pretty much any other online site for that matter. All you need is a debit card, and all you need for that is a bank account. And let's be honest, if you don't have a bank account you're fairly unlikely to be buying a lot of games. I only got a credit card myself last year (and that was only for the free goodies, I haven't actually used it since), yet somehow I've managed perfectly well for the last decade or so.

While that works for you Americans, I'm Canadian. I would imagine that our debit cards are not accepted by Steam. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I would love to not have to use the aforementioned prepaid credit cards.

SachielOne:
While that works for you Americans, I'm Canadian. I would imagine that our debit cards are not accepted by Steam. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I would love to not have to use the aforementioned prepaid credit cards.

Yeah, there's a fairly large pond in the way of me being American.

But having looked it up, you appear to be correct that Canadia's debit system is rather insular. You can get a Visa debit card if you pick the right bank, but otherwise your debit cards won't generally work outside Canada. So maybe it's not such a terrible idea as it first seemed, for Canada at least.

going in store to buy a digital download code with no physical stuff is rather silly IMO
you have to pay for gas to get to the in-store selection

at least they offer it all on their digital store, although I have serious doubts at their ability to have "the muscle it needs to slug with Steam"

maybe they should set their sights a bit lower first, like on Origin or something

kouriichi:
Im glad GameStop is trying to pick their clothes up off the floor. PC gaming is growing, and they need to accommodate that. And 1500 pc titles is a bit more then i would have guessed.

And i wont lie, the prices are pretty good. Not as good as 70% off steam sales, but still pretty decent.

lol I don't even buy pc game when they first release anymore because of steam sales.I figure it will be 50% off in a couple of months so I just wait.

Wait a minute, I can go buy a download code from a PC game in a B&M store after fighting traffic, parking, the rest of the crowd, and hope the retailer isn't so damn stupid they drool on either themselves or my receipt, OR, I can press one button on my desktop and not even have to put on pants?

Steam it is.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or