Adam Sessler Leaves G4

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Holy shit, I leave the internet for a day and this happens?

Damn...I love the Sess and I'm going to be sad that he's gone. It's gonna be really weird watching X-Play or even E3 with Morgan and Blair with no Adam in sight. I wish him nothing but the best though.

YAY! can everyone else finally write G4 off as dead?

Ever since Portal and Icons got canned, I stopped caring about G4. we lost so many good shows between tech tv and G4.. even the robots? whyy!!!

..sorry, i really don't care for X-play and whenever i hear of it i think about how fun the early 2000's was for me because of the other already dismantled shows.

Rouzeki:

Ever since Portal and Icons got canned, I stopped caring about G4. we lost so many good shows between tech tv and G4.. even the robots? whyy!!!

..sorry, i really don't care for X-play and whenever i hear of it i think about how fun the early 2000's was for me because of the other already dismantled shows.

No love for Code Monkeys? Love that show.

Wow, I've been watching him through some variation of this channel since I was like 10! I support his decision, especially since the channel has been going downhill for the last few years, I haven't watched it consistently in like 5 years but whenever I did, I wasn't impressed. G4 should have renegotiated his contract and just gave him whatever he wanted because he essentially makes the channel. Sessler was the whole reason my friends and I watched X-Play back in the day. I don't see him having any trouble finding work and even though it's pretty impossible, I'd be so stoked if he ended up on the Escapist in some capacity.

Yea I wish I could say I am shocked about this but anyone who watches x-play can see he wasn't having a good time on the show anymore. Though I hope hope hope he keeps doing Sesslers Soapbox somewhere (lets hope on the Escapist)

Wow. It's like watching Samson tear down the temple of Dagon, and walk away from the rubble.

RaikuFA:

Revnak:
You can't make him like things he doesn't. Also, if people don't like something that doesn't mean they can't improve journalism regarding it.

How would he improve it? Telling people that they're the bane of gaming like in his reviews is not helping...

Yal:

RaikuFA:
Not in that video, but the reporter says hes trying to improve gaming journalism and yet...

That's a strange pair of reviews to go to the walls over. I've played both those games in the past year, my PS2 is still plugged in mostly because I'm still working through Gust's back library, but they're not really pinnacles of the genre. They're low budget affairs that do not compare well with AAA titles of any stripe, and I think they're exactly right to call them niche products.

Besides, if you fired all the reviewers who don't like JRPGs, there wouldn't be any left.

Then how about not letting them review it? How bout instead, people hire someone who do like the genre instead?

Wow, fanboy much?

So someone isn't fit to review something if they're critical of it? That makes no sense at all. From the sounds of it you rather critics of JRPGs stay silent and the genre continue to stagnate.

Yeah pointing out the continued flaws of a genre, and trying to get the industry to improve itself is just such an awful thing to do. /sarcasm

You might as well just start demanding people quit criticizing games altogether.
Every game should just get a 10/10 by default. Is that what you want?

More OT: Glad that Adam Sessler has moved on from G4. Here's hoping Morgan Webb follows suit.

RaikuFA:

Rouzeki:

Getting rid of Code Monkeys was the last straw for me. :(

I really hope that he get's another job soon. He'd be a waste of good talent (well, more than he was being @ G4) when he's not commenting on video games/making me feel stupid.

Long live the Sess!

Xiado:
Hire him, escapist. Get this guy before it's too late, he was one of the only reasons I went on G4, and probably my favorite person in the industry.

>.>
this is probably the best idea i've heard all week. i mean, i doubt you could afford him, but try anyway, it'd be awesome to have him

Xiado:
Hire him, escapist. Get this guy before it's too late, he was one of the only reasons I went on G4, and probably my favorite person in the industry.

This. A thousand times this. The guy is simply awesome and honest. He is the ultimate video game journalist.

RaikuFA:

Revnak:
You can't make him like things he doesn't. Also, if people don't like something that doesn't mean they can't improve journalism regarding it.

How would he improve it? Telling people that they're the bane of gaming like in his reviews is not helping...

Yal:

RaikuFA:
Not in that video, but the reporter says hes trying to improve gaming journalism and yet...

That's a strange pair of reviews to go to the walls over. I've played both those games in the past year, my PS2 is still plugged in mostly because I'm still working through Gust's back library, but they're not really pinnacles of the genre. They're low budget affairs that do not compare well with AAA titles of any stripe, and I think they're exactly right to call them niche products.

Besides, if you fired all the reviewers who don't like JRPGs, there wouldn't be any left.

Then how about not letting them review it? How bout instead, people hire someone who do like the genre instead?

THEY DO. Not many people seem to realize this, but G4 has a lot of reviewers who write the reviews. It's only when they are aired on TV that Adam, Blair or Morgan narrate OTHER PEOPLE's thoughts.

Bwahaha...First him..then the rest of his godawful show! X-Play will be off the air..forever!

DugMachine:

RaikuFA:

Rouzeki:

Getting rid of Code Monkeys was the last straw for me. :(

I'm afraid I never watched code monkeys. Between techtv and G4 my favorite shows were robot wars (or whatever it was called), Anime Unleashed, Icons, Portal, and Starcade (sometimes).

Ever since portal got canned like it did, then most of tech TV bled out during the merger, I pretty much stopped watching. didn't help when I flipped over in the last couple of years only to see ninja warrior (not bad, mind) in between cops and cheaters. so much for a gaming channel, in my opinion.

Early G4 was amazing to me. Mmo game worlds turned into an albeit probably bad-now-but-i-loved-it-then machinima drama, stuff from all over the gamer sphere from history facts to retro set ups... it was something really neat. and while I cared little for it, they had modern as well as retro stuff.

eh, who can i kid- I'm just mad nobody released DVDs for portal.

Grunt_Man11:

RaikuFA:

Revnak:

Yal:

Wow, fanboy much?

So someone isn't fit to review something if they're critical of it? That makes no sense at all. From the sounds of it you rather critics of JRPGs stay silent and the genre continue to stagnate.

Yeah pointing out the continued flaws of a genre, and trying to get the industry to improve itself is just such an awful thing to do. /sarcasm

You might as well just start demanding people quit criticizing games altogether.
Every game should just get a 10/10 by default. Is that what you want?

More OT: Glad that Adam Sessler has moved on from G4. Here's hoping Morgan Webb follows suit.

I don't mind critisism, I don't mind pointing out flaws.

HOWEVER!!!

If your review is just "It's a JRPG therefore it sucks" can it really be considered a review?

Although thankfully the attitudes been dying down, it needs to go away 100%.

Soviet Heavy:

RaikuFA:

Revnak:

Yal:

THEY DO. Not many people seem to realize this, but G4 has a lot of reviewers who write the reviews. It's only when they are aired on TV that Adam, Blair or Morgan narrate OTHER PEOPLE's thoughts.

That might have explained why Mana Khemia got such a glowing review. That was the biggest suprise I ever saw from them.

I'm so glad he finally left.
Hope he does something awesome with his next endeavors. He's awesome!!!

But who will be there to give all games a 3 out of 5? D:

Thoric485:

Make it happen.

Oh, Maker! That clip! I can't stop laughing! Somebody help me!

OT: Sad to see the Sess go. I hope he finds a new home to rest his hat that's also not a total ballsac to work at.

while im excited what he'll do next, im a bit sad that i cant just watch xplay for reveiws anymore:( and more importantly that blair is now going to have a permenant spot on xplay.......thats just disturbing.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Mcoffey:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Do you want an numerated list, or should the usual argument suffice?

He is a 6-year old whiny brat when it comes to anything he doesn't like. Voicing it in one video? Fine. Bringing it up 4 videos in a row, in an unrelated video, yeah, no.

He did it with The Expendables, calling everyone who saw that and not Scott Pilgrim a worthless reject. And brought it up in four subsequent reviews. He did it with Fast Five. More recently, he's taken to calling everyone who hated the ME3 ending an entitled prat, bringing it up in 3 different videos or articles, despite having never played a Mass Effect game before.

He's a whiny hypocrite, who will lambaste someone for playing a game because it has tits in it (Dead or Alive) and then turn around and say that the tits and or sex were the best reason to see a movie (Piranha 3D and Black Swan).

THAT'S WHY!

Actually his bone was more with the Retakers and their childish antics. You don't need to play Mass Effect to see that they were being stupid. It wasn't about the ending, it was about their infantile behavior.

I don't remember him saying much about DoA, though, was that in Game Overthinker? I don't usually watch it because I'm more interested in his critiques of a subject than his "Storylines".

And I'm totally fine with him bringing up a point several times when it's a good one. Expendables was dog shit compared to Scott Pilgrim.

EDIT: On topic, i'm glad Sessler's leaving. As a kid I always liked X-Play and thought their skits were funny, but not funny enough to sit through most of the other shit they had, especially when they became less gaming focused.

Expendables was bad in your opinion. Which is fine. Now spending the next 4 posts telling everyone how everyone who saw the Expendables is a waste of life on this planet because they dare to disagree with you would be childish. Which is what Bob does on a semi-regular basis.

Personally, I liked the Expendables, and I hate Michael Cera, so that was an easy decision for me.

Yeah, you obviously didn't get what he was saying. If you went to watch the thing that you bitch about, instead of the thing you say you want to see made, THEN DON'T BITCH ABOUT IT. He brought it up again and again because he could point to it and go "I went over this already, we're not going over it again".

Pariahwulfen:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Mcoffey:

Actually his bone was more with the Retakers and their childish antics. You don't need to play Mass Effect to see that they were being stupid. It wasn't about the ending, it was about their infantile behavior.

I don't remember him saying much about DoA, though, was that in Game Overthinker? I don't usually watch it because I'm more interested in his critiques of a subject than his "Storylines".

And I'm totally fine with him bringing up a point several times when it's a good one. Expendables was dog shit compared to Scott Pilgrim.

EDIT: On topic, i'm glad Sessler's leaving. As a kid I always liked X-Play and thought their skits were funny, but not funny enough to sit through most of the other shit they had, especially when they became less gaming focused.

Expendables was bad in your opinion. Which is fine. Now spending the next 4 posts telling everyone how everyone who saw the Expendables is a waste of life on this planet because they dare to disagree with you would be childish. Which is what Bob does on a semi-regular basis.

Personally, I liked the Expendables, and I hate Michael Cera, so that was an easy decision for me.

Yeah, you obviously didn't get what he was saying. If you went to watch the thing that you bitch about, instead of the thing you say you want to see made, THEN DON'T BITCH ABOUT IT. He brought it up again and again because he could point to it and go "I went over this already, we're not going over it again".

That acting on the incorrect assumption that Expendables is terrible waste product. That opinion existed in the mind of Bob, it does not apply to everyone else. His point afterwards was to call people who DID want the Expendables piles of shit, which is where the issue lies. What he said about Fast Five applies equally well here (since he used the Expendables bit there too)

"If you like this kind of thing, I guess I should be happy you're watching this and not operating a car or voting where you could do some real damage."

Awesome. REAL awesome.

Adam Sessler is awesome. I can't wait to see him actually do something without Morgan Web's dumb ass ruining it.

Tanis:
This is...kind of weird.

I've been watching this guy on TechTv/G4/etc since, well, 2001 or so.

He was one of the first 'reviews' (or w/e) that I actually FOLLOWED.

I haven't seen G4 on TV in some time because their weird with the cable packages, but, still...

DOOD!

It literally came out of nowhere. Here I am looking at the news section of the escapist and BOOM "Adam Sessler Leaves G4". He's the only reason why I go to their website (can't see it on tv), so....this really does suck.

The only guy that made G4 watchable. AoTs also lost the only two people I gave a crap about.

G4 is going to go under.

Wow. There seems to be a lot of love for Adam in these comments. Gotta say, that I agree. I always like Adam on X-Play. I really hope he finds a new and better career.

Like others have said, a he would be a great asset to the Escapist. Doing a weekly Sessler Soapbox or reviews would be a must see video. I doubt the site can get or afford him, but I can dream.

Good for him and he was my favorite host on the show and I liked X Play before the intro of the new unfunny, boring and crappy format that was as interesting as CNN, and G4 was going down the pits as it slowly degraded into a SpikeTV clone.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Pariahwulfen:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

That acting on the incorrect assumption that Expendables is terrible waste product. That opinion existed in the mind of Bob, it does not apply to everyone else. His point afterwards was to call people who DID want the Expendables piles of shit, which is where the issue lies. What he said about Fast Five applies equally well here (since he used the Expendables bit there too)

"If you like this kind of thing, I guess I should be happy you're watching this and not operating a car or voting where you could do some real damage."

Awesome. REAL awesome.

I didn't bother seeing Expendables, but it really pissed me off that he insisted calling everyone who liked Fast Five a braindead dudebro.

He may claim to care about movies, but deep down he's just a nerd who never got over the fact that he was bullied in high school, and now he has a soapbox in which to complain about it and put down anything that doesn't fit into his little world.

Also, in my opinion, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, aside from pandering to the gaming and geek culture, which everyone ate up, was an average movie at best. It was just as much of a "shut your brain off and eat some popcorn" flick that has no lasting effect he always complains about average movies being.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Do you want an numerated list, or should the usual argument suffice?

He is a 6-year old whiny brat when it comes to anything he doesn't like. Voicing it in one video? Fine. Bringing it up 4 videos in a row, in an unrelated video, yeah, no.

He did it with The Expendables, calling everyone who saw that and not Scott Pilgrim a worthless reject. And brought it up in four subsequent reviews. He did it with Fast Five. More recently, he's taken to calling everyone who hated the ME3 ending an entitled prat, bringing it up in 3 different videos or articles, despite having never played a Mass Effect game before.

He's a whiny hypocrite, who will lambaste someone for playing a game because it has tits in it (Dead or Alive) and then turn around and say that the tits and or sex were the best reason to see a movie (Piranha 3D and Black Swan).

THAT'S WHY!

I guess you are right, I still really enjoy his work though... He has done some pretty petty things on this site, but I don't think he should be sacked.

Lord Beautiful:
Holy shit. That's kind of awesome. I look forward to seeing what he does next. I've never been keen on the idea of giving G4 ratings when I want to get the latest word from Mr. Sessler.

I Think Morgan Webb was also part of the 'Old Guard'. I remember her being an intern when Leo Laport was still there.

I miss TechTV. Edward Norton and Leo Laport were true geeks, from the old school of geekery. Not this new 'Oh, it's sheik to be geek' crap out of the children. Leo, was like an old science class teacher showing us how to do basic hacking and REAL computer skills.

Now the only thing worth watching is 'Bomb Patrol: Afghanistan'.

Thoric485:

Make it happen.

So say we all.

To quote Morgan
"Adam, we miss you"

It's about time. iPhones are more relevant to gaming than G4 is.

It was all over when Big C and "Street Cars" or whatever it was showed up. Bye bye Diane Mizota ;_;

nooooooo!!!

Never heard of this guy

Sessler was not my favorite reviewer. Mainly because he couldn't pass up an opportunity to take jabs at a few select fanbases (Final Fantasy anyone?), and because he coined that idiot phrase of Cloud being emo before emo was emo and all of a sudden it spread like wild fire because all the little drones hang on his every word.

I do respect his opinion and consider it valid, I just disagree. And even I'll admit that some of the flack he's gotten over the past few years he doesn't deserve at all.

I hope he continues to make his soapboxes detailing a specific aspect of the industry. It's good because it will get you thinking and even if you do find that he is the wrong, his explanation of his viewpoint will almost always justify his position.

Being said, I remember watching xplay waaaaaay back when I was younger, when it was a mix between sketch comedy and game reviews. When it had supporting characters like "the interns", Johnny Xtreme and the classic Canadian Guy and sometimes featured them to review games in a comedic (yet still informative) matter. I stopped watching it when they became more "serious" and cut the gags down severly, focusing instead on trailers, reviews and previews (what I use the internet for).

Hey, Escapist, If you can pick him up for the Soapbox and maybe some guest reviews that would be fantastic. :D

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here