Resident Evil Creator Making Survival Horror Game for Bethesda

Resident Evil Creator Making Survival Horror Game for Bethesda

Shinji Mikami wants to get back to "true" survival horror.

There's been a problem with games earmarked as survival horror these last few years. After the heyday of Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 4, most survival horror games haven't been all that scary. It's a topic The Escapist team discussed in a recent podcast and Yahtzee even posited that big name studio might not be capable of making truly scary games anymore. Perhaps there is a dark, greasy spot on the horizon, though, as Bethesda Softworks said that Shinji Mikami - the creator of Resident Evil, director of RE4 - is devoted to returning to "true" survival horror with a new game project codenamed Zwei.

"A true survival horror game is one in which the player confronts and overcomes fear," Mikami said. "I've found my focus and once again I'm striving for pure survival horror. I am being very hands-on in the development of this game to ensure that the quality is there. Rest assured."

Mikami did not provide any more details than that, but his promise goes a long way. He's been entrenched in the Japanese gaming industry for more than two decades, working at Capcom between 1990 and 2007 contributing to games like Viewtiful Joe and Devil May Cry before leaving to become a mercenary of sorts for various startup studios. Last year, Mikami founded Tango Gameworks, and later announced a deal with Zenimax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks, to publish a new project.

Well, at least we know what that game will be: Zwei, a return to survival horror. And based on the provided collage of new location images, it will involve tinted lighting, a ship, and maybe a watch tower? Your guess is as good as mine.

No word if the weird cockroaches and aliens peeing in a swimming pool will make the final version of Zwei.

Well, I'm interested.

Funfact: Resident Evil 1 coined the term 'survival horror' through it's advertising. So that would be the truest 'survival horror' game out there.

Fuck yeah go Shinji

I'll be following this game all the way. Not only have I been itching for a return to true survival horror, but if it's got one of my gaming heroes Shinji Mikami behind it, then that's a sealed deal.

im curious and using my powers of precognition i see the future and it will be buggy made for the xbox, laggy on the ps3 and has a half assed control system and ui for the pc..

no goats were sacrificed in the making of this prophecy

Wow! I caught a glimpse of this on the news, but I didn't catch that he was working with Bethesda.

Interesting.

Got high hopes for this one. It'd be nice to have a horror game on consoles this generation that's actually scary.

A real survival horror? In this day and age!?!?
And here i thought the days of good survival horror was long past. I didnt really consider Penumbra and Amnesia survival horror. It was just.... horror and hiding. But a good old survival horror like the first 2 RE games would be grand! But will it be 1st or 3rd person? Or will we have locked cameras like the first few RE games? Because nothing was scarier then firing down a hallway when you couldnt see what you were shooting at. Every corner could mean death.

This book would provide an excellent premise for a survival horror game.

I'll have to follow this, it definitly sounds interesting.

"Stop right there criminal scum! BOO!"

In all seriousness yes, I'm going to keep an eye on this one. Bethesda has always been great when it comes to beautiful scenery after all even if they've had some problems with over-all immersion. I know they're capable of Horror too considering The Dunwich Building.

I just hope they make sure to pay good attention to the survival part of the survival horror genera. Not only should things look and feel scary but there also needs to be a good aspect of, "Oh god, I've run out of ammunition and now I've got to fight tooth and nail to go on." I only bring it up because I don't ever remember having that thought in my mind while playing RE4 but that was a long time ago, so it's possible I just played it on a simple difficulty level.

But hey, the guy behind RE4 with Bethesda sounds like a great combo to me in any situation.

Oooooh... You had me at hello.

I really hope this will be a return to wearing brown pants style of horror, not that I'm saying that Amnesia wasn't scary because it totally was.

Can't wait to hear more.

I'm curios to see which direction Mikami will take; Are we getting more Amnesia or are we getting more Resident Evil 4? Or maybe something entirely different? Either way, more horror games are never a bad thing, especially when we've got some great developers/people being at the helm.

*squeaks like an 8 year old girl*... I mean, this looks promising.

I'm very intrigued. This should be good. A real survival horror in this day and age?

Wait.. wait..

Shinji who was behind the greatest Silent Hill game out there along with the best Resident Evil game so far is joining forces with one of my favorite developers of all time, Bethesda, to make a true survival horror which has beautiful scenery and all the more coming underway?!

So I'm guessing it's going to be a silent hill type game (or maybe more like Alan Wake) where you walk around a creepy town and shoot almost invisible things with a pretty backdrop. Sounds boring to me.

Hmm... could Fallout be taking an even darker turn? I'm in. If you need me, I'll be in the labs in STALKER.

Shoggoth2588:
I know they're capable of Horror too considering The Dunwich Building.

This. I seriously got more spooked by that section of gameplay than I have by entire games that claim to be scary.

I'm definitely interested in this.

this could work, Bethesda is good at environments after all

Survival horror is gone the same way so called horror films have progressed to gore fests. We've all become accustom to the tropes of jump scares and anything "psychological" is now overused. Honestly when you lose suspension of disbelief, a game like Dead Space becomes Mass Effect with more husks.

I think the proper way to describe my feelings over this is, "Supremely intrigued!" Especially when I thought of a ridiculously dark Fallout-esque game. But I still don't want to let my hopes float up too high.

I'll definately be keeping an eye on this one. Sounds very good.

I surely hope this will be great, i've been looking for great survival horror games. Had high hopes for dead space, and even though it was fun , it wasn't very survival horror-y to me (though the first chapters of the first game did have me jump a bit :/).

I'd love to play a game where your enemies are humans but infected with something. The twist is they still look and act human, so you don't really know which ones to shoot. Maybe also in a far away colony or space ship or something.

Could this finally be the long-awaited sequel to Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth? The art looks kind of Lovecraft-like. Please oh please oh please...

I will keep an eye on this for sure!

I am happy that more Japanese and Western developers are collaborating in general.

Really? Mercenary? I appreciate that that sounds more glamorous, but in my opinion 'independant contractor' would have done.
Other than that, I'll be interested to see how this turns out and whether or not Yahtzee's theory will hold water.

Tiamat666:

It would help if that link had more than a sentance about the darn book

"The novel chronicles the stay of an unnamed weather official on a remote island in the south Atlantic close to the Antarctic Circle."

That's all the info on the page so you may as well have just stated the title it would have saved time.

OT: We'll wait and see but I can see this being a good scary game.

Resident Evil is my favorite video game series, and horror has always been my favorite genre in anything. Color me intrigued.

Well this peaked my interest...

(curious fact my captcha is: date of expiration)

Soooo... no Vanquish 2 any time soon?
Awwww, Shinjiiiiiiiiiiii. C'moooooooooon.

alrekr:

Tiamat666:

If you were genuinely interested and/or had a little patience to spare, you might have noticed there are two links to reviews about the book and another two reference links on the page.

Tiamat666:

alrekr:

Tiamat666:

If you were genuinely interested and/or had a little patience to spare, you might have noticed there are two links to reviews about the book and another two reference links on the page.

Well if you were truly in support of telling the internet about this great book that is such a great premise for a horror game you could have just posted those links yourself...

Or mabye even post a brief overlay of the plot that you wrote yourself...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here