Torchlight 2 Will Still Be Cheap

Pages PREV 1 2

Torchlight 2, Diablo III, Path of Exile and Grim Dawn(hopefully).
I sense a wonderful future for Clickity ARPGs. I'm not very intrested in Torchlight, but I'll most probably pick it up if it gets good feedback. The demo for the first game didn't make me itching to buy it at all.

Tanakh:
Saw it earlier on Steam today and was tempted, but I'll go with Diablo III. Why? Because of the always online, because I don't see it as DRM but as an anticheat system and i want my drops to mean something.

Just my opinion though.

Save for the Always-Online (of which I wholeheartedly disagree with you on, but that's beside the point), I'm almost tempted to agree with you on the drops. However, the way Blizzard has this whole thing set up, your drops really won't matter.

You see, because of the Auction House, Blizzard tracks the popularity and average sell price for any and all items, and gauging how much people want certain items. As such, if they so choose (as they've talked about in previous interviews), they reserve the right to "adjust" the natural drop rates of items in game.

What does this mean? It means that, should an item become very popular, Blizzard can and probably will decrease the drop rate of that item; making that item more rare thereby increasing demand and value.

So in a sense, your drops in Diablo 3 don't mean a damn thing in the end as Blizzard effectively has total control over what stuff you get and when/where you get it. Thus all but negating any randomness to their so called "random drops".

As for the anti-cheat aspect of the always on, you're right. It may keep some people from cheating. But, does it really matter? Diablo 3 isn't shipping with it's PvP mode. In fact, it won't be available for quite some time. Ergo, what's the point of having a robust anti-cheat feature if it doesn't really matter if someone's cheating?

Oh right...because if people were "cheating" to get items, and then sold them, Blizzard couldn't legally make money off of those transactions.

Yeah. I'm sorry. I'm an avid fan of the Diablo series, with 2 being one of my favorites among my favorite games "ever", but I really can't bring myself to give a damn about Diablo 3; or even Blizzard for that matter. I really do not like what they've become since merging with Activision. They're at a point now wherein they are not only telling us when we can play our games but HOW we're supposed to play them. That's just bullshit.

O.T.
Can't wait for Torchlight 2. Pre-order is already in place for a four-pack. Soon as it launches I'm having four friends drop by so we can LAN that thing. Should be an exquisite night of pizza, beer, and old-school ARPG adventure and loot.

(as a side note, anyone who's a fan of Diablo 2 should be more interested in Torchlight 2 because Runic, makers of Torchlight, were the original team that made Diablo 2 over at Blizzard. After waiting years for Blizzard to finally green-light Diablo 3, and after dealing with the BS Blizzard was becoming, they split from Blizzard to form Runic.)

Nimbus:
America is getting it for considerably cheaper. Weird.

We always get games cheaper, enjoy your healthcare ;D

OT: Love the Torchlight

Darn, saw this just a few minutes ago and would like to say: "I told you so."

D3 is passable, T2 may be a pickup if I can get it for dolloru, and then there is Path of Exile.. and Grim Dawn... eehh, too many, all fantasy >_>

Diabolo 3 can kiss my hairy, unwashed di#*

PS: *though I am a very clean person I will not wash and shave my di#* until Torchlight 2 is out for Blizzard to kiss it, if they want me to play Diablo 3!!!!!!

I wish these games were on PSN, I WOULD get it on my PC but I'd really like an actual gaming PC first.

Holy shit, I have been looking for a reason to buy Torchlight 1 for a while, and Torchlight 2 was a definite buy anyway, win win! All for 15!

My only concern is replay value.

Torchlight 1 was certainly worth $20.00 but didn't have anywhere near the replay value of Diablo 2 IMO. I fear the same will be true where comparing T2 to D3.

I plan on passing on Torchlight 2 in favor of Diablo 3. But I'm sure I'll buy T2 off a steam sale down the road for $5.00 or less.

I was up at 1am and happened to see this on Steam, ordered it without hesitation. I've played the heck out of the first one and this one is looking to be amazing. I would have paid a full $59.99 for this game, but I am glad they are going the $20 route.

I can not wait. I've been playing the D3 beta, its a good game for sure but I am way more excited about Torchlight 2.

Vigormortis:
[quote="Tanakh" post="7.373075.14407103"]

(as a side note, anyone who's a fan of Diablo 2 should be more interested in Torchlight 2 because Runic, makers of Torchlight, were the original team that made Diablo 2 over at Blizzard. After waiting years for Blizzard to finally green-light Diablo 3, and after dealing with the BS Blizzard was becoming, they split from Blizzard to form Runic.)

Actually Blizzard shut them down. Blizzard North didnt just walk away.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_North

Nimbus:
America is getting it for considerably cheaper. Weird.

Why is that weird? Most games are cheaper in the US than anywhere else.

Nalgas D. Lemur:

Qitz:
Lan Play
No DRM
Built for computers first
co-op added
and all for $20

All of which are also true about Grim Dawn (from the Titan Quest guys). You can get a copy of Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn and still have spent $20 less than what Diablo 3 will cost, along with (in my opinion) being treated better as a customer. Right now is a good point in time to be into non-Blizzard ARPGs.

Edit: Oh, and they also both explicitly support mods, which not everyone cares about but is something that makes me happy.

Cheaper: Yes.

Better: Doubtful.

If the previous game is any indication Diablo 3 will be so much better than Torchlight its not even funny.
I played Torchlight 1, and the Diablo 3 beta weekend. Torchlight 2 MIGHT have been interesting if released before Diablo 3.

As it is I'll be to busy yelling FUCK YEAH FINALLY! to notice T2.

What is good about T2 compared to D3? The rune system of D3 is brilliant. The fact that most classes boast more or less infinite resources for endless action is fantastic. The extremely well thought out design of monsters, color use, effects etc is just...awesome. There is nothing from T2 I want. The functionality of the dog was pretty cool, but it really wouldnt fit the feel of a Diablo game anyway.

I was hesitantly excited about D3...but after trying it...oh man. It'll probably last as long as its predecessor.

Too bad it wasn't released earlier, now i only buy it after i get bored of Diablo 3.

DanielBrown:
Torchlight 2, Diablo III, Grim Dawn(hopefully).
I sense a wonderful future for Clickity ARPGs. I'm not very intrested in Torchlight, but I'll most probably pick it up if it gets good feedback. The demo for the first game didn't make me itching to buy it at all.

You may want to look into Path of exile as well. I think it holds it's own to the other 3. The beta is open now, but unless you want to hope for a random invite, you have to pay $10 to get in.(the random invites are mainly based off of activity in the forums)

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Tanakh:
Saw it earlier on Steam today and was tempted, but I'll go with Diablo III. Why? Because of the always online, because I don't see it as DRM but as an anticheat system and i want my drops to mean something.

Just my opinion though.

Don't see why it has to be a one or another choice. Unless your money is so tight that you can get only one. But if you really have so little money I'd think the one that costs a third of the other would be the better choice.

tzimize:

I was hesitantly excited about D3...but after trying it...oh man. It'll probably last as long as its predecessor.

I find the variance of reactions to the open beta to be fascinating. Yours being on the far positive side. I've also heard people who were really excited for the game and pre-ordered the collectors edition, only to cancel it because they didn't like the beta. A lot of people already made up there minds before playing the game and still liked or hated it. But the ones whose opinions have changed are the ones that interest me.

Sadly I was not able to play the beta due to installer issues, but as long as they've got that ironed out by launch I don't mind.

Vigormortis:

Noooooot quite. Blizzard North shut down / split from the big company, with many former Blizzard North folks forming a new studio called Flagship, which was working on a game you might remember called Hellgate: London. Hellgate London TANKED, and the 17 original members of Runic who had been working on another game called Mythos, were just as screwed as everyone else when Flagship closed its doors.

THEN they founded Runic.

Eric the Orange:
Don't see why it has to be a one or another choice. Unless your money is so tight that you can get only one. But if you really have so little money I'd think the one that costs a third of the other would be the better choice.

My time mate, this days it is tight enoguh that I can only play one. Tough I might end up buying torchlight at release and play it just for a 5-6 hours to get the feeling, but won't be "playing it" for sure.

John Funk:

Vigormortis:

as a side note, anyone who's a fan of Diablo 2 should be more interested in Torchlight 2 because Runic

Noooooot quite. Blizzard North shut down / split from the big company, with many former Blizzard North folks forming a new studio called Flagship, which was working on a game you might remember called Hellgate: London. Hellgate London TANKED, and the 17 original members of Runic who had been working on another game called Mythos, were just as screwed as everyone else when Flagship closed its doors.

THEN they founded Runic.

What if you are a huge fan of Diablo, but not that much of Diablo II. IMO it was a step backwards compared to the original one... god dammit, i avoided posting that before trying not to derail the thread further :P

Eric the Orange:

DanielBrown:
Torchlight 2, Diablo III, Grim Dawn(hopefully).

You may want to look into Path of exile as well. I think it holds it's own to the other 3. The beta is open now, but unless you want to hope for a random invite, you have to pay $10 to get in.(the random invites are mainly based off of activity in the forums)

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Amazing. I just popped by to edit in Path of Exile since I remembered I had forgotten about it. Noticed the message box blinking when I was done. :P
It's there now anyways!

Checked some beta footage this morning. Looks fine, but the game feels a bit dated somehow. Think it might be the UI.

tzimize:

Nalgas D. Lemur:

Qitz:
Lan Play
No DRM
co-op added
and all for $20

All of which are also true about Grim Dawn (from the Titan Quest guys). You can get a copy of Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn and still have spent $20 less than what Diablo 3 will cost, along with (in my opinion) being treated better as a customer. Right now is a good point in time to be into non-Blizzard ARPGs.

Edit: Oh, and they also both explicitly support mods, which not everyone cares about but is something that makes me happy.

If the previous game is any indication Diablo 3 will be so much better than Torchlight its not even funny.
I played Torchlight 1, and the Diablo 3 beta weekend. Torchlight 2 MIGHT have been interesting if released before Diablo 3.

What is good about T2 compared to D3? The rune system of D3 is brilliant. The fact that most classes boast more or less infinite resources for endless action is fantastic. The extremely well thought out design of monsters, color use, effects etc is just...awesome. There is nothing from T2 I want. The functionality of the dog was pretty cool, but it really wouldnt fit the feel of a Diablo game anyway.

In some ways I almost agree with you on that, actually. Torchlight had somewhat of a lack of depth, and I only played it through once and then kind of dicked around a little afterward, and that was it. However, I never liked Diablo or Diablo 2, even when they were new, and Diablo 3 is immediately off my list thanks to the "always on" requirement and lack of mods.

In my case, it's more that Torchlight 2 is something entertaining to pass the time until Grim Dawn comes out, which I do expect to stand up well to Diablo 3 in terms of gameplay and depth, at least for my tastes, considering that they've retained things like the multi-class system from Titan Quest (which was the game that convinced me I liked ARPGs again after the Diablo games made me think I didn't), which has kept me playing that for years.

Different tastes for different people though, and it's nice that there are so many options these days.

Brandon Keith:

Actually Blizzard shut them down. Blizzard North didnt just walk away.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_North

John Funk:

THEN they founded Runic.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying. After glancing at the wiki it appears there was a perpetual exodus from Blizz-North until Blizzard itself decided to shut the branch down.

In any case, still can't find myself caring about Diablo 3 at this point.

I've played the beta. Well, as long as I could until the b.net servers kept going down...booting me from my SINGLE-PLAYER SESSION.

And, as "somewhat" nostalgically fun as it was, the "dumbing-down" of most of the game-play mechanics and the awful front-end stuff one has to deal with (i.e. always-on, B.net 2.0, auction house, etc) the positives I've seen so far are far from even being equal to the negatives; let alone out-weighing them.

Even if Torchlight 2 turns out to be somehow "less fun" or "not as deep" as Diablo 3, I'd still buy it over Diablo. No hassles, on and offline play for both solo and co-op, mod support, and only twenty bucks. So, no matter how I look at it, Torchlight 2 is more value for my money.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Qitz:
Lan Play
No DRM
co-op added
and all for $20

Was going to buy it before, still going to buy it now.

^^^^^^THIS THIS THIS^^^^^^^

Torchlight seems superior to Diablo 3 in every way shape and form. This is a no-brainer.

Yeah... it sounds that way. But... Torchlight 2 just doesn't interest me. And I can't really explain why.

Perhaps it's because, I thought Torchlight 1 wasn't too great. (Can't explain why, either.) It was a solid game, but unremarkable. I lost interest in it quickly. And everything I've seen about Torchlight 2 has failed to interest me as well.

In the realm of ARPG's full of "Diablo Clones", a realm I absolutely love, and love playing these "Diablo Clones" as well, I thought Torchlight was an anomaly in the sense that it wasn't a very fun Diablo Clone. Which is strange, since it actually has ex-Diablo devs working on it. Comparatively, I thought Titan Quest was great. I mean, WAY better than Torchlight. And am excited as hell about Grim Dawn. (If Grim Dawn came out before D3 did, I'd probably pass up on D3 entirely.)

I dunno. I feel like whenever someone brings up Torchlight 2 as the de-facto Diablo 3 alternative/replacement, yes even with all those promising and delicious features of Torchlight 2, I have to step in and say "Yeah but...The actual game itself just doesn't look that good, so no thanks."

This is of course my own opinion regarding this. I really do wish Diablo 3 didn't have all those questionable features, and all those questionable changes. But even with just the beta, the game was still a lot more fun to play than Torchlight was for me. (I'll wait for the full game before I say how the fun compares to my time with Titan Quest.)

Nalgas D. Lemur:

tzimize:

Nalgas D. Lemur:

In some ways I almost agree with you on that, actually. Torchlight had somewhat of a lack of depth, and I only played it through once and then kind of dicked around a little afterward, and that was it. However, I never liked Diablo or Diablo 2, even when they were new, and Diablo 3 is immediately off my list thanks to the "always on" requirement and lack of mods.

In my case, it's more that Torchlight 2 is something entertaining to pass the time until Grim Dawn comes out, which I do expect to stand up well to Diablo 3 in terms of gameplay and depth, at least for my tastes, considering that they've retained things like the multi-class system from Titan Quest (which was the game that convinced me I liked ARPGs again after the Diablo games made me think I didn't), which has kept me playing that for years.

Different tastes for different people though, and it's nice that there are so many options these days.

Never heard of Grim Dawn, but I guess I'll have to check it out. I never really fell for Titans Quest. And I was REALLY starved for diablo-like action.

When D3 comes out though...in a couple of weeks *squeeeeeel!* I'll be lost.

In the meanwhile...I can pass the time with stuff like for example: Avenger at the cinema. Which even if its off topic is one of the best movies I've ever seen. A perfect 10. Man. Joss Whedon, if I could have babies they would be your babies...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here