Game of Thrones Characters Compared to U.S. Political Figures

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Game of Thrones Characters Compared to U.S. Political Figures

You know what? Tyrion Lannister is kind of like Stephen Colbert.

Like many of you, I've been watching season two of HBO's Game of Thrones adaptation with a fervor. I loved George R. R. Martin's series of fantasy books, and never thought a translation of them to the screen would be ... so dang good. But it is, and the show has branched into the mainstream awareness more than I anticipated. So much so, that some anonymous internet denizen matched key characters of the series to figures in the United States political landscape like Rick Santorum and Bill Clinton. It's not uncommon for a such a meme to show up for a popular show, but what's surprising is the comparison is embarrassingly accurate.

The joke comes from the five kings vying for the Iron Throne of Westeros is oddly similar to the potential nominees for the Presidency of the United States. Renly Baratheon and Rick Santorum, for example, both "came from behind" to be the frontrunner, for a time. (See what they did there?)

The comparison isn't limited to the five kings and the Preisdency, however, pundits and former figures get their fair share of comparisons too. Peter Dinklage playing Tyrion Lannister is hands down the best actor of an excellent ensemble, having taken home a little golden statue to prove it, and the Imp's character is oddly similar to that of Stephen Colbert, host of the Colbert Report. According to the image, both them are "Often underestimated as a joker, too cool for the job, would probably freakin' rock at it." Yep, that sounds about right.

I won't ruin the rest of the jokes, have a look for yourself:

The only one I think is missing is a bit comparing Michelle Bachmann and Melisandre, the Red Priestess. "Crazy eyes, Looks good in red, Knows the dangers of abortion."

Source: Forbes

What happened to original version, I originally saw this:

HODOR!!

The ultimate insult/lulz being that Santorum is compared to a homosexual trying to fit in. :P

endtherapture:

HODOR!!

I thought the whole thing was pretty funny, but that extra bit is CLEARLY a punch line. I laughed my ass off to it.

The Al Gore climate change one is PERFECT!!!

When I read Gore's I started laughing and haven't yet stopped. My ribs hurt, at least when I pass out it will restore normal breathing.

Why'd you cut out Hodor?

I feel personality wise Palin is closer to Melisandre, she also uses her children to devastating effect(but they're only effective in the beginning of the campaign) and she manipulates an older man into giving her undue influence in a country she is completely out of touch with. Besides, she lives on Dragonstone: She can see Essos from her window!

Good times. Gooooood timmmes.

Haha, very witty. Though the part of me that follows politics is a bit insulted by the reductionist views of some of the political figures. But, it's all in good fun, none the less.

Edit: I would put John Stewart instead of Steven Colbert. He jokes just as much, but few TV personalities are as knowledgeable about politics as he is. I like Colbert, but he is a small fry compared to John Stewart. That dude does his homework.

Oh that's grand. I love it. I damn near fell out of my chair when i saw Gingrich and that pompous little shit Geoffrey. I hope Geoffrey wants to colonize the land north of the wall.

endtherapture:

HODOR!!

Haha, that's awesome!

endtherapture:

HODOR!!

I think that axed that part because Hodor isn't actually royalty. That and then they would be stealing someone else's punchline.

Hahaha, I love the Al Gore/Ned Stark one.

Global warming is coming.

wooty:
Hahaha, I love the Al Gore/Ned Stark one.

Global warming is coming.

For some reason that isn't as catchy as the original phrase :p

It's like saying "Disadvantageous weather is in the not too distant future."

Winter is coming...

Really?

Well it's a good thing I know how to...

Wrap...Winter...Up!

They are pure wrong on Obama/Rob, Tyron/Cobert and Gore/Stark. This was obviously created by a liberal hack.

endtherapture:

HODOR!!

AHAHAHAHAHA! Give this man the ten thousand dollar prize!

I'm guessing we can see the Stephen Colbert/Tyrion Lannister one showing up on the Colbert Report some day soon?

Greg Tito:

Ive never seen Game of Thrones, but if this is in anyway correct, ill laugh my ass off while driving to the movie store to buy the show on DVD.

I wouldn't want Stannis for president. But as an army commander he kicks ass.

I see Al Gore as more of Cersei Lannister. No politician is in the same league as Eddard Stark.

I was chuckling for a little bit, and then I hit the Tyrion/Colbert comparison. It's such a stupid sentiment that it sullied the rest of the funniness for me.

After Stephen Colbert was talking about spreading his seed to college campuses around the country tonight, he sounded more like Tyrion than ever.

Baldr:
I see Al Gore as more of Cersei Lannister. No politician is in the same league as Eddard Stark.

Al Gore is nowhere near as rotten as Cersei...

OT: The only iffy fit is Daenerys Targaryen/Sarah Palin. At least, I fucking hope Palin isn't Dragonborn!

Also, Tyrion Lannister is BOSS (as are Colbert and Stewart)!

This is... glorious.

Mind you, the political figures don't quite match the characters, but it's still amusing to say the least.

WanderingFool:
Ive never seen Game of Thrones, but if this is in anyway correct, ill laugh my ass off while driving to the movie store to buy the show on DVD.

It is correct in broad strokes. Also the show contains more stabbing and prostitutes.

Okay, just more stabbing.

...just watch the show, alright?

Not really giving a shit about my countries politics and even less about america's, I went though this mostly stone faced...until i read the climate change one. Thank you for making my fairly shitty day, a little brighter.

Mr.Tea:

OT: The only iffy fit is Danaerys Targaryen/Sarah Palin. At least, I fucking hope Palin isn't Dragonborn!

Good to see someone who points that out.

Danaerys is a character with a lot of growth over the whole series and in the fifth she has a believeable amount of competenz and advisors to rule her people.

That's hilarious.

But now I can't stop thinking about Ron Paul in some cold stone room ranting towards his children in a very bittered about how he will pay the social price because that's his way.

For certain the two seem quite equally much intro destroying things and pillaging.

I died laughing at the climate change gag.

The climate change line made this for me.

I was with you up until Daenerys was cast as Sarah Palin. Then ya lost me. Otherwise? Not bad.

endtherapture:

HODOR!!

Oh wow, you literally (and I do mean the correct usage) had me rolling on the floor and laughing. Well done, Sir/Ma'am, my neighbors now resent me.

For those of us who are not american, could we get some names to go with those faces? Apart from Obama, Palin and Clinton, I have not got a clue who any of them are.

How could someone compare Daenerys with that retarded woman? Even as a joke it isn't funny.

Danarok:
For those of us who are not american, could we get some names to go with those faces? Apart from Obama, Palin and Clinton, I have not got a clue who any of them are.

Top to bottom: Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, Ron Paul, Barack Obama, Stephen Colbert, Sarah Palin, Bill Clinton, Al Gore and George W. Bush.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here