THQ Cuts Deep to Survive

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

tony2077:

80Maxwell08:

Nouw:
Help Relic make Dawn of War 3, Company of Heroes 2 and Homeworld 3...rise to the top again. Seriously, there are heaps of RTS fans waiting for sequels to three fantastic franchises.Fuck that, I don't want Blizzard style RTSs infesting Dawn of War xD.

Well this is going to be a little funny to me. You don't want Blizzard infesting Relic's work. Want to guess who actually owns the IP rights to Homeworld?

someone too stupid to release it digital?

Go look at my post up there. It's number 13.

Nouw:

80Maxwell08:

Nouw:
Help Relic make Dawn of War 3, Company of Heroes 2 and Homeworld 3...rise to the top again. Seriously, there are heaps of RTS fans waiting for sequels to three fantastic franchises.Fuck that, I don't want Blizzard style RTSs infesting Dawn of War xD.

Well this is going to be a little funny to me. You don't want Blizzard infesting Relic's work. Want to guess who actually owns the IP rights to Homeworld?

Go ahead, laugh then :P. What's stopping them from creating another Homeworld then?

Nothing but why would they? They already have Starcraft. No need to waste resources on an IP that they don't need to do anything with. Especially since with how old Homeworld is it would take a ton of marketing to get it's sales to anything they would want.

80Maxwell08:

tony2077:

80Maxwell08:

i know who it is i just wish they release it digital. i must me a masochist since i defend them and they still whip me.

tony2077:

80Maxwell08:

tony2077:

i know who it is i just wish they release it digital

Oh I would too. I guess they haven't since no one has asked them because no one realizes that Relic doesn't own the IP just because they made it. Pity that's how publishers work.

80Maxwell08:

Nouw:

80Maxwell08:

Go ahead, laugh then :P. What's stopping them from creating another Homeworld then?

Nothing but why would they? They already have Starcraft. No need to waste resources on an IP that they don't need to do anything with. Especially since with how old Homeworld is it would take a ton of marketing to get it's sales to anything they would want.

Good. As long as they have Starcraft, which is probably going to be a very long time, they won't touch Homeworld. I haven't played it anyway so it wouldn't be as shocking as the Warhammer 40K or CoH license. Still, I'm saddened that Relic can't make another one or at least release the older ones digital.

Anti-Robot Man:
Who holds the 40k licence Relic or THQ? Obsidian is in a nose-dive, is Volition their only developer still going strong?

is obsidian related to THQ? who published new vegas?

Nouw:

80Maxwell08:

Nouw:

Good. As long as they have Starcraft, which is probably going to be a very long time, they won't touch Homeworld. I haven't played it anyway so it wouldn't be as shocking as the Warhammer 40K or CoH license. Still, I'm saddened that Relic can't make another one or at least release the older ones digital.

i've been hoping Gog.com would have some luck with it but nothing yet may need to ask my brother if i can have the discs back

80Maxwell08:

tony2077:

80Maxwell08:

i know who it is i just wish they release it digital

Oh I would too. I guess they haven't since no one has asked them because no one realizes that Relic doesn't own the IP just because they made it. Pity that's how publishers work.

i know some devs know that they should defend there ips but in the end they have to sell them to even get them out the door or even work on it

Nouw:

80Maxwell08:

Nouw:

Well that's how IP ownership works though I bet if THQ had the money they could work out a deal to make Homeworld 3 or at least buy the IP rights but I bet if they tried that Activision would charge quite a bit. At least too much for THQ to get in it's current state.

Vault101:

Anti-Robot Man:
Who holds the 40k licence Relic or THQ? Obsidian is in a nose-dive, is Volition their only developer still going strong?

is obsidian related to THQ? who published new vegas?

Obsidian's only relation to THQ is THQ is publishing the South Park game Obsidian is making. Nothing else. Also Bethesda/Zenimax published New Vegas since they own the Fallout IP.

80Maxwell08:

Nouw:

80Maxwell08:

Well that's how IP ownership works though I bet if THQ had the money they could work out a deal to make Homeworld 3 or at least buy the IP rights but I bet if they tried that Activision would charge quite a bit. At least too much for THQ to get in it's current state.

I suppose in THQ's current financial situation they should focus on getting Dawn of War 3 out. If Relic don't fuck it up, that could really help. Then they could take back Homeworld!

Nouw:
I suppose in THQ's current financial situation they should focus on getting Dawn of War 3 out.

THQ would almost certainly prefer a multiplatform game getting out the door ASAP. Depending on where DoW3 is in development it might get put on hold in favour of putting everything into a Space Marine sequel.

When a publisher is circling the drain they tend to shove devs onto proven sellers. Ask a BIS veteran, for example, what that's like (and is part of the reason there was no BIS Fallout 3).

RhombusHatesYou:

Nouw:
I suppose in THQ's current financial situation they should focus on getting Dawn of War 3 out.

THQ would almost certainly prefer a multiplatform game getting out the door ASAP. Depending on where DoW3 is in development it might get put on hold in favour of putting everything into a Space Marine sequel.

Darksiders 2 is coming out in 2 months. Also Relic mentioned helping Vigil with Dark Millennium Online which is now a single player game so they still might be helping there. Still I think THQ has a few other multi plat games coming out soon.

RhombusHatesYou:

Nouw:

When a publisher is circling the drain they tend to shove devs onto proven sellers. Ask a BIS veteran, for example, what that's like (and is part of the reason there was no BIS Fallout 3).

What's BIS? Also, a Space Marine sequel seems a little risky to me. I think Dawn of War 3 could be safer but as you said, a multi-platform release could be much better.

Baresark:

DVS BSTrD:
Blizzard!
Disregard Heart of the Swarm!
Aqwire Relic!

Nah, I don't want to wait 8 years for a new Warhammer 40k game. I would prefer they go down than be acquired by someone like that.

DJDarque:
All this love for Relic and none for Vigil. feelsbadman.jpg

That's who does Darksiders! I don't want them going anywhere. The first game was epic, the second probably won't disappoint. I'm sure if they put it out soon, it will significantly help their position in the market.

8 years? All it would take is just removing the front part of the helmets of the Space Ma--I mean. Terran Marines. Then you have the elda--I mean protoss *sorry* and the Tyran-- I mean... What were they called? oh right. Zerg. They could just aswell be the same game for whatever I care. The lore that Starcraft 'had' was Warhammer. They scrapped that. But the races are still so easy to transfer I think we would be talking months rather than years.

I picked up King's Bounty: Armored Princess as part of some package a while back on Steam, but never got around to trying it. Maybe I should. Is it worthwhile?

Aris Khandr:
I picked up King's Bounty: Armored Princess as part of some package a while back on Steam, but never got around to trying it. Maybe I should. Is it worthwhile?

its a really solid game

one thing is for certain this is probably one of the last attempts for thq to remain solvent, and with EA not far behind, it will be curious to see what happens and what the industry will look like in 2 years

Nikolaz72:
-snip-

I really like people who think they know something about 40k just because they have played a video game.Robert heinlein,Giger and Michael Moorcock just called, they want their ideas back.

This makes me wonder if the 'evil acts' a publisher does to get more money is justifiable if they're in a situation like THQ.

Aris Khandr:

I find it the spiritual successor to Heroes of might and magic 3.

deth2munkies:
Battlefield 1942 was DICE and EA back in 2002 and KB:AP was 1C (a fact I only know because I both own the game and because there was a 1C game sale on Amazon). Valusoft hasn't touched either of those games according to the wiki page either.

Don't lump them in with the shovelware shit they turn out.

Yeah...I did a double take when I read that and had to check Wikipedia to reassure myself.

I'd like to know where the Escapist got that impression. I don't understand how they can point out two games that Valusoft had nothing to do with, since neither are mentioned in the articles linked.

Please not Metro Last Light

Oh god i couldn't take after the final news of the utter death of the STALKER series. GSC gameworld employees, former or otherwise, really don't have any luck do they? 'o_0

It's about time a company learned to cut one of the big boys off the payroll, for the most part it's the poor people that suffer.

And THQ, just die already.

Nikolaz72:

Baresark:

DVS BSTrD:
Blizzard!
Disregard Heart of the Swarm!
Aqwire Relic!

Nah, I don't want to wait 8 years for a new Warhammer 40k game. I would prefer they go down than be acquired by someone like that.

DJDarque:
All this love for Relic and none for Vigil. feelsbadman.jpg

That's who does Darksiders! I don't want them going anywhere. The first game was epic, the second probably won't disappoint. I'm sure if they put it out soon, it will significantly help their position in the market.

8 years? All it would take is just removing the front part of the helmets of the Space Ma--I mean. Terran Marines. Then you have the elda--I mean protoss *sorry* and the Tyran-- I mean... What were they called? oh right. Zerg. They could just aswell be the same game for whatever I care. The lore that Starcraft 'had' was Warhammer. They scrapped that. But the races are still so easy to transfer I think we would be talking months rather than years.

Haha, Touché! Months it is, but there still might be years of tweaking to determine troop walk speeds. :P

Zachary Amaranth:

Chunga the Great:

Good point, but I still would rather have Activision or EA go down instead.

Scary thing is Activision's stock is actually going up.

Probably because they have so many games that are insanely successful.

tony2077:

i know some devs know that they should defend there ips but in the end they have to sell them to even get them out the door or even work on it

Yea its such a shame that the people forking over millions of dollars and shouldering all the risk get to keep the rights to the game. I mean why shouldnt the guy who put up nothing but an idea get the right to everything?

Nouw:

I believe the fact that most people dont know what Homeworld is and that they have more profitable things to spend their time on.

Ya know what? A small part of me kinda wants them to go under, because, IIRC, they started the whole Online Pass nonsense. If that is the case, it's hard to feel sorry for 'em.

Relic? REEELLIIIIIIC, you've got to churn out some sequels to your popular franchise, Company of Heroes. Tens of thousands are still playing it, even though it's over 6 years old.

80Maxwell08:

Spitfire:
I'm sorry, but the Homeworld fanboy in me can't help but ask, why do THQ still refuse to distribute the Homeworld series on digital platforms, especially now, with their financial problems?

Simple they don't own it. Activision does.

I thought that THQ acquired the rights to it?

Captcha: good riddance. Now that's just mean.

Spitfire:

80Maxwell08:

Spitfire:
I'm sorry, but the Homeworld fanboy in me can't help but ask, why do THQ still refuse to distribute the Homeworld series on digital platforms, especially now, with their financial problems?

Simple they don't own it. Activision does.

I thought that THQ acquired the rights to it?

Captcha: good riddance. Now that's just mean.

I stand corrected then. Well I have no idea what THQ is doing then.

"This could have been prevented if ONLY gamers wouldn't buy used games. SOB. Curse GameStop!", THQ CEO .
Of course, pissing away the company for the uDraw accessory that they still can't sell is not related to the bad news.

Chunga the Great:

Zachary Amaranth:

Chunga the Great:

Good point, but I still would rather have Activision or EA go down instead.

Then the End Times have truly begun my friend. I must begin stockpiling the beans for the day when they unleash their shitstorm of mediocrity.

Seriously though, if THQ goes under and Activision picks up Relic, horrible things will happen. Yearly Dawn of War releases with less and less difference anyone?

Just imagine a world where Activision is the only major publisher. *shudders*

Screw beans. I'm stockpiling GAMES. >.>

NOOOOOOO!

THQ, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! PLEASE LIVE! LIVE!

Zachary Amaranth:

Saviordd1:

Sad really, I wish EA had gone first.

EA is actually on a race with THQ to the bottom. Granted EA still has a healthier stock price, but they're getting hit hard, too.

Ea / origin will have something to do with that, i refuse to buy anything origin myself and i know few of my friends do either
( also SWtOR is a total flop in my opinion, completed all content in under two weeks.. gave up after a month of bug ridden boss fights, missing textures, items and broken crew skills total joke. )
#Edit# : swtor is not an origin exclusive, before anyone points that out i bought a physical collector's edition box. no origin included

back to Thq..

Seriously?

they have great game titles, how could that happen?

everyone go buy darksiders and saint's row immediately!

thq/gpg/squeenix really handled the supreme commander franchise wrong though in my opinion
supreme commander 2 was so highly influenced by star-craft and command and conquer it practically looks like a bastard child of the two
still they did good work. they have my vote ( not that it counts for much )

lRookiel:
NOOOOOOO!

THQ, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! PLEASE LIVE! LIVE!

IKR!

/corperate cpr

The Lugz:
Seriously?

they have great game titles, how could that happen?

Simple bad management. They wasted huge amounts of money marketing Homefront along with the uDraw. Then there's a bunch of other bad management decisions and all the wasting money on liscenced properties. Also I think everyone is losing money right now so it's not just exclusive to THQ. Though I think it will pick up soon since Darksiders 2 is coming out soon and Darksiders sold quite a bit.

Zachary Amaranth:

Chunga the Great:

Zachary Amaranth:

Then the End Times have truly begun my friend. I must begin stockpiling the beans for the day when they unleash their shitstorm of mediocrity.

Seriously though, if THQ goes under and Activision picks up Relic, horrible things will happen. Yearly Dawn of War releases with less and less difference anyone?

Just imagine a world where Activision is the only major publisher. *shudders*

Screw beans. I'm stockpiling GAMES. >.>

Honestly, people on this website talk about Activision with just as much scorn as EA, but I'd like some hard proof that they're actually just as bad, because over the last three years EA has had some much shadier practices, questionable business decisions, and fan fallout than Activision has. What crimes have they committed? Call of Duty? It's not like they relentlessly suck up small game developers only to crush them two years later. It's not like they ruthlessly overwork their employees even when there's no call for it. It's not like they've been calling out used gamers for being just as bad or worse than pirates, and shoving endless amounts of DLC into every single game they publish (unless you count CoD map packs). They've actually been relatively quiet over the last few years too. We hear all of these press releases about Bioware and EA in general, or Valve, or THQ, or Rockstar, or EA, but when was the last time Activision was in the news?

Without Activision, we might not have gotten (the admittedly niche IP) Prototype.

Without Activision, the Jedi Knight series of games in the Star Wars universe would have probably never been made.

Hell, Activision doesn't even have a whole lot of franchises that it "milks" like EA does. They have Call of Duty. Spyro and Crash Bandicoot died when their original developers left (the corpses have just been reanimated for a time...), they killed Guitar Hero themselves, nobody cares about Tony Hawk games, and the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games are actually pretty good. Everything else they've really done is low-name stuff that either wasn't well received or is just incredibly obscure or very old now. Okay, they've published a bunch of mediocre other Marvel games and they published Doom 3 and the majority of the Quake games. But, hell, they were the ones who published Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Wait, I mean - Yes, Activision is the devil! Their stock is rising, I must prepare for the apocalypse! Was that what this topic was about?

OT: Not that it'll do much good to save the sinking ship, but I might actually consider buying Darksiders II now. The first one was pretty good fun and the second one appears to build on all of that while adding a more free and much larger world to explore. Dunno if the inventory management will be that appealing as it seemed needlessly obtuse like the original Mass Effect, but eh.

If a big publisher can't stay afloat making good games with the reasonably large amount of resources they have, then they're probably in the wrong business and I probably won't miss them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here