PlayStation All-Stars Looks Smashingly Familiar

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I just want to ask, why not a MS "rip-off" for the xbox? I have a idea for MS to increase the list of fighters. Why not fuse PC/xbox character into a mash up? Could release the game for PC/Xbox and boom we have a nice list of fighters and every system has a SSBB clone. Just a idea if MS ever want to do this and that way they have a nice size roster and can release it on both PC and xbox.

Though eh, doesn't really matter to me. I probably wouldn't buy it or if I do play it as much. I enjoy the old SSB for the N64, but never got into the others (I hate the controller) though who knows lol.

woodaba:
I seriously doubt any of Sony's characters have the charm to carry this convincingly. PaRappa is the closest, and it might be cool to see Kratos wipe that grin off of Nathan Drake's face (seriously, fuck that guy, blandest, most unoriginal character since the fucking Master Chief.)

Somehow, I doubt you know much about Sony. Just because they haven't been making videogames as long as Nintendo, doesn't mean they have a charming history. They've got lots of interesting characters, both realistic and cartoon. Even in-between. And, as for Nathan Drake, I don't see where you're getting this from. He was actually designed as a very nice guy, going under character development and isn't trigger-happy. I'd say he's been the most original videogame character we've gotten in this entire generation.

Lugbzurg:

woodaba:
I seriously doubt any of Sony's characters have the charm to carry this convincingly. PaRappa is the closest, and it might be cool to see Kratos wipe that grin off of Nathan Drake's face (seriously, fuck that guy, blandest, most unoriginal character since the fucking Master Chief.)

Somehow, I doubt you know much about Sony. Just because they haven't been making videogames as long as Nintendo, doesn't mean they have a charming history. They've got lots of interesting characters, both realistic and cartoon. Even in-between. And, as for Nathan Drake, I don't see where you're getting this from. He was actually designed as a very nice guy, going under character development and isn't trigger-happy. I'd say he's been the most original videogame character we've gotten in this entire generation.

I can rattle Nintendo's characters off in my sleep. The only Sony characters who are particularly memorable to me are the Jak/Daxter and Ratchet/Clank duos. Sackboy, maybe, and Kratos before they flanderised his character for the sequels. PaRappa is pretty cool too. I can't think of anyone else, really.

I can't tell if your trolling with that Nathan Drake comment. Seriously? SERIOUSLY? He wisecracks terrible jokes while he's murdering people! His entire gameography is essentially him looking for treasure and massacring a bunch of people to do so! That does not sound like "nice guy" behavior to me. The only thing people remember about his is that he wisecracks a whole lot. If you honestly think that that ponce is the most orignal character this generation, then you, my friend, need to play games other than Uncharted. People like Adam Jensen, Thane Krios, Cole Phelps, NiER, Jackie Estacado, Geralt of Rivia, Michael Thorton, Andrew Ryan, Gabriel Belmont, John Marston, GLADOS, Monkey, and Altair wipe the floor with that smarmy ponce. I cannot, for the life of me, understand the appeal of Nathan Drake, and the Uncharted series as a whole, and why people love the damn fool so much. Maybe it's because he has a tragic past? Please. Those things are dime-a-dozen these days, and its not like it actually affects his character in a meaningful way.

I hope the full roster is a big one so I can revel in the awesomeness that it would be.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Lara Croft? I mean I know she's been on various other platforms and Nathan Drake is kinda similar (I suppose) but it would be nice (hah maybe even a reskinned alternate 'costume' from the Nathan model to Laras, that'd be nice *pipe dreams*).
If they managed to secure any Final Fantasy character that'd be a huge win in any circumstance.
Fingers crossed this game is awesome, and thank god they didn't make it a bog-standard fighting game :D I'm looking forward to it tbh

DVS BSTrD:
I can imagine that fan backlash would be quite infamous if they didn't include Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7. Hey, Sony Published it!

I'm still pissed about this not having anyone from Legend of Dragoon.

That one was DEVELOPED by Sony.

Main issue here is that they actually did mime HAL's visual style with the type of impact moves have and the way the camera moves (you'll notice it's the same type of impact they use in the Kirby games), which is slightly different than say, shonen jump's games, or even that half baked cartoon network thing. I think they could have pushed their own style and it would have been more...right, I suppose.

Calling it right now:
2020 release: Smash Bros vs. All-Stars: The Reckoning

Don't feel like I need this game. If the prospect of a new Smash Bros on 3DS and Wii doesn't get my panties wet, then all this rip-off can manage is dry cleaning my underwear :/

Am I the only one who has to point out that there are plenty of other ways they could've done this game instead of going for a direct clone of Smash Bros? And I don't mean that they should've done a serious fighting game either, which is what a lot of the proponents seem to argue. What about taking cues from Power Stone? The DBZ: Budokai series? Virtua-On?

The way they do KOs is kind of interesting but the whole game in its current form seems... unnecessary. Just because we live in a sea of clones of one genre leader doesn't mean that starting to clone another game is the kind of variety we need.

Can they even do this? isnt there some kind of IP on Super Smash Brothers by nintendo for this?

Compare: http://i45.tinypic.com/14nmqdj.jpg

Similar:
stage design (1 layer interactable stages)
fighting styles (probably unavoidable for this type of game)
slo-mo ending (thats just stealing)
Fight/ending typefonts
character bars on the bottom
"super" system (super smashes anyone?)
artdesign

Different:
characters (obviously, but they work nicely)
"super" system upgrades (thats a cool concept, like the super smash but changing with each level)

It is cool they do this, works great in concept, but I think that IP means you have to try not not make your product look too similar so you can confuse them; which it does now. And brawlers don't have to look like that, look at DOA/Tekken/streetfighter.

They could make it really unique by just changing the layout/aesthetics a bit and increase the interaction with the stage (like different sublevels you can trow characters in, like DOA/tekken)

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here