U.K. Politician Using Oslo Shooting to Change Ratings

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Jodah:

Farther than stars:

Jodah:
As an American I say: /popcorn

I kid, I kid this guy needs smacked upside the head...preferably with a brick.

That's right, murder the opposition with a blunt object. Thanks for helping further enforce the stereotype. >.>

What stereotype? I use a brick not a gun. Everyone knows only guns kill people and only video games make people kill people...with guns.

So, you're avoiding responsibility for your earlier statement by using irony to support our side of the argument. That's actually rather clever. :)

I'm going to quote a friend in response to Vas...

"You're an idiot."

And no, he didn't say it to me, he said it to another friend.

Britain: Now worse than Australia.

I hear Knee jerk politics really works.

Okay, so just to add a bit: Keith Vaz voted in favour of the UK declaring war on Iraq.

You know, he voted in favour of that which the war games he's smashing depict. Bloody hypocrite.

Sky Captanio:
Modern Warfare is as close to actual war as say Minecraft is to working in construction. The guy is an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. I find it depressing that so many idiots are politicians.

I KNOW RIGHT, how can people be so god dam stupid to even think this is possible. If it WAS true even half-true I would be fucking Solid Snake at this point. I have played hundreds (maybe thousands) of hours of FPS and I couldn't even load a gun properly if given one

Way to cement your political career right there Keith. Smart one. Freaking dumbass.

ResonanceSD:
Britain: Now worse than Australia.

I hear Knee jerk politics really works.

LOL that would be a sad day indeed to see

who's next Canada? America?

Can we start a petition? The "get the queen to make an official statement telling Keith Vaz to go fuck himself." petition.

Greg Tito:

"Breivik describes how he trained for the attacks using the video game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare," Vaz continues before stating he "is disturbed that Breivik used the game to help hone his `target acquisition' and the suggestion that the simulation prepared him for the attacks."

I may be speculating here, but this man might not have ever used a gun before. I call it the point-and-shoot fallacy.

Loop Stricken:

How hard can it be to not spend money on nuclear weapons we won't use, put it into the NHS whilst paying doctors and nurses whilst getting rid of the fucking middle managers and...
No, that's common sense. Curses.

I'm clearly not cut out for politicks.

Residual Cold War paranoia + ex-empire syndrome is fun!

Seriously though, it's sad that people like this get given power, I want to meet the people who vote for anyone who'd be willing to change the law on something that they have absolutely no knowledge of.

Akimoto:
I may be speculating here, but this man might not have ever used a gun before. I call it the point-and-shoot fallacy.

No sign of military service could be found on his biography, so maybe so. Actually, when I went to look up his history, Vaz is a bit more weird than that. When the IRA bombed a British army recruitment centre, Vaz suggested the military had kept explosives inside the recruiting bureau to make it bigger. He campaigned to Salman Rushdie's book The Satanic Verses banned, something normally only done by radical Muslims. He's also been suspended from parliament and accused of corruption.

Basically his political career makes it look like Vaz is a total deranged crackpot.

Loop Stricken:

SenseOfTumour:
I've never been a fan of Labour, but I tend to follow Tom Watson on Twitter because he's a gamer and often goes out of his way to show up Vaz's idiocy on a topic Keith knows less than fuck all about.

I really don't want to vote Labour. Hell, I don't want to vote for any of the cocknuggets we've got malingering around...

Someone give me money so I can go into politics.

Vote for a smaller party then! The only way we can fix the mess we are in at the moment is by getting in some new blood and getting rid of the dinosaurs! As long as they aren't BNP or UKIP or anything. I was so amazed when it started to seem like the Tories were getting power. The fact that they were supported by the Sun always confused the shit out of me. A newspaper (if you can call it that) for the downtrodden masses calling it's voters to support that silver spoon cunt-bag Cameron?

Can we get some these politicians to play call of duty, and then take them to a shooting range to see if they have learned any real life firearm skills from playing the game? Because that is the only way I can imagine them stopping this kind of stuff short of just waiting for them to die or scandle to force them to resign.

Chairman Miaow:

Loop Stricken:

SenseOfTumour:
I've never been a fan of Labour, but I tend to follow Tom Watson on Twitter because he's a gamer and often goes out of his way to show up Vaz's idiocy on a topic Keith knows less than fuck all about.

I really don't want to vote Labour. Hell, I don't want to vote for any of the cocknuggets we've got malingering around...

Vote for a smaller party then!

The problem with that is that everybody needs to do it for it to work. And no fucker does.

Hell, the last election, everyone was all like "Hell yeah I'm voting Lib Dem!" and did they? Did they fuck.
Labour ended up with the most votes, so we got a Tory/LibDem government. The fuck?

... also while we're on the subject, I'm honestly surprised that nobody seems to use the witticism ConDemNation.

Loop Stricken:

Chairman Miaow:

Loop Stricken:

Vote for a smaller party then!

The problem with that is that everybody needs to do it for it to work. And no fucker does.

Hell, the last election, everyone was all like "Hell yeah I'm voting Lib Dem!" and did they? Did they fuck.
Labour ended up with the most votes, so we got a Tory/LibDem government. The fuck?

... also while we're on the subject, I'm honestly surprised that nobody seems to use the witticism ConDemNation.

I voted Green. I know other people I nagged into voting Green. Unfortunately my constituency still had a higher vote for the BNP.... BUT THE POINT! I will get to it eventually. The point is that if everyone just says nobody votes for them.... Nobody will vote for them. Every vote counts. And I think Liberal Democrats ConDemned (see what I did there?) their political career by joining with Conservatives. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost almost all their seats.

Anyone that has both played first person shooters and actually fired a gun knows the similarities are almost non-existent. The only thing you're going to get from a FPS is that you have to point the gun at your target. Wow. That's a tough concept.

VonKlaw:
*rolls on the floor laughing*

Ah poor Keith, he just won't give up will he?

Get his picture with a hooker, that'll shut him up

Sky Captanio:
Modern Warfare is as close to actual war as say Minecraft is to working in construction.

I'd be careful about what comparisons you make.

You know what's the best way to interest underage boys in videogame? Slap lots of warnings on it, and make a big deal out of it. Preferably have some tv show make a segment about it, showing censored screenshots showing how horrible it it.

Honestly, I start to think this is a huge scam paid by the entertainment industry.

Loop Stricken:
Oh for fuck's sake. When did my country decide to regress to the fucking Dark Ages?

... oh right, that election thing.

Forgive this ignorant Yank, but are the conservatives in power currently?

Gottesstrafe:

Sky Captanio:
Modern Warfare is as close to actual war as say Minecraft is to working in construction.

I'd be careful about what comparisons you make.

Wow, that video was horrible. I want my time back.

I find it disturbing that people actually believe you can get better at shooting guns by playing a shooting game. To quote Yahtzee:

"Pressing buttons to shoot guns in say, Soldier of Fortune, is about as far removed from the workings of actual guns as my ass is from the dark side of Europa".

I have a wonderful idea. Let's classify games by age and put them on the front of games so consumers can see. If games are too violent, rate them 18+ and not let kids buy them. It's a brilliant plan!

Wait, we already do that.

Why do people only ever pay attention to the minority these days? How many copies of CoD have been sold? Millions? And because a few people got out and shoot someone it means it was because they played CoD. It couldn't possibly be because they have some sort of mental issues can it?

A politician? Doing something stupid?

STOP THE MOTHERFUCKING PRESSES!!

Macgyvercas:
I find it disturbing that people actually believe you can get better at shooting guns by playing a shooting game. To quote Yahtzee:

"Pressing buttons to shoot guns in say, Soldier of Fortune, is about as far removed from the workings of actual guns as my ass is from the dark side of Europa".

I think it's more about the aiming than it is the shooting. That's the hard part, unless the gun has a really heavy trigger pull...

Old men without the understanding of new generation lifestyle trying to legislate what he doesn't understand. What else is new? It won't last anyway.

So you're going to trust the guy who's clearly nutty as a fruitcake to give you factual evidence? What if he said that magical fairies trained him to use guns, would you use that to declare war on fairy-world? The guy is unstable. If you can show that there some sort of link or training going on, then you'd have a point but just because a crazed killer says video games helped him does not mean you have good evidence. (Also, when it comes to theorists, is he pushing for a war on god since god told them to do it?)

Twilight_guy:
So you're going to trust the guy who's clearly nutty as a fruitcake to give you factual evidence? What if he said that magical fairies trained him to use guns, would you use that to declare war on fairy-world? The guy is unstable. If you can show that there some sort of link or training going on, then you'd have a point but just because a crazed killer says video games helped him does not mean you have good evidence. (Also, when it comes to theorists, is he pushing for a war on god since god told them to do it?)

Politics isn't about facts. It's about convincing people that your stupid agenda is the right thing, using any means at your disposal. Twisting facts and words is quite common.

Adam Jensen:

Twilight_guy:

Politics isn't about facts. It's about convincing people that your stupid agenda is the right thing.

And discussion on this board is about (in theory) using logic to make good arguments and point out flawed logic, which I did. Yes, I know politics is a business of popularity and dirty tricks but its goal is to not be.

I'm disturbed that Breivik used a toothbrush. People should therefore require a licence to use a toothbrush.

Hannibal942:

Loop Stricken:
Oh for fuck's sake. When did my country decide to regress to the fucking Dark Ages?

... oh right, that election thing.

Forgive this ignorant Yank, but are the conservatives in power currently?

Yeah I'm not sure what Loop Stricken was on about. Keith Vaz has been plying his bullshit as an MP since 1987, long before the coalition government was formed.

if you look further into the comments he actually made he said the "training" he got was basically around using the sights and that the real sights on a real weapon make it so easy even a granmother would be able to use it.

I need to move from the UK...if only i had the money and a knew how to speak a different language. All i have to say on this matter was that crazy guy brevik is in his thirties, it's won't make a difference changing the age ratings if someone as unstable as him decides to "train" off games.

Keith Vaz is an idiot. -_- Rather than carefully considering the vast body of evidence showing no link between video games and an increase in real life violence, he just knee-jerks over the ramblings of a deranged psychopath.

Bloody Daily Mail readers.

What a tit. Maybe we should put a rating on parliamentarians. In this case, Keith Vaz is rated R for Retarded.

Screamarie:

That game did not make Breivik who he is and it did not make him a killer. The fact that he is schizophrenic made him who he is and that's what made him a killer. It's as simple as that.

It's not a fact that he has schizophrenia, nor is it that simple. I'm more inclined to think, and more recent evaluations have suggested, that he is a sociopathic and malignant narcissist who went to extremes to fulfill his fantasies of glory and fame. That, and schizophrenic people are not born killers.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here