Crytek Dev Backpedals on Used Games Hate

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Grey Day for Elcia:

Crono1973:
The difference between you and I is that I think complaining IS fighting.

Complaining on an internet forum does nothing. Not a single thing. Ziltch. The companies couldn't care less what you think. All that matter is how people spend their money. For example: people here love to hate on EA (it's the latest fad) but I'd put up $100 that more than ninety percent of the people complaining still purchase the next big game EA puts out. And you know what? EA love it.

I'll just drop this here, it's from this very thread:

This of course has attracted the ire of the gaming public, who tend to be rather fond of their used games. Following some presumably less than kindhearted feedback from fans, Hojengaard has recanted. Today he issued the following clarification via CVG.

Crono1973:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Crono1973:
The difference between you and I is that I think complaining IS fighting.

Complaining on an internet forum does nothing. Not a single thing. Ziltch. The companies couldn't care less what you think. All that matter is how people spend their money. For example: people here love to hate on EA (it's the latest fad) but I'd put up $100 that more than ninety percent of the people complaining still purchase the next big game EA puts out. And you know what? EA love it.

This of course has attracted the ire of the gaming public, who tend to be rather fond of their used games. Following some presumably less than kindhearted feedback from fans, Hojengaard has recanted. Today he issued the following clarification via CVG.

He recanted cheap words. A minor "victory."

So gamers have .000001 victories with up to 5 losses.

Nice math, there.

Ultratwinkie:

Crono1973:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Nice math, there.

You make up numbers and call it my math. We call that a strawman.

I am done.

Crono1973:
The big three are nothing like Steam. Look at the prices for downloadable versions of retail games on XBL and PSN.

Lolololol. You missed the point by so much it hurts to laugh.

Your idea: guy makes game, guy gives it to Sony, Sony sells it online and sells it to stores.

My idea: guy makes game, you buy game.

There's a reason it's so cheap to buy from Steam or straight from the developer--you aren't paying for multiple levels of markup on top of markup and the only games that don't see this huge decrease in cost are those also peddled in physical stores. Retail is a problem not a solution anymore.

The only argument that can possibly be made against purchasing directly from the creator is jobs; retail stores employ people to sell shit. But you know what? Tough. I'm not going to give you more money because you're running a business designed to gouge me as much as possible before I snap. With internet access and speeds soaring ever higher, the single use retail stores exist to serve is almost void--that is, they bring a selection of products to one place, so you don't have to run around. We've already seen book stores, music shops and DVD retailers fall of the cliff, now hanging on for dear life as they slowly fade. Not long it'll be video games' turn to make the leap to pure digital distribution.

You can deny it, you can fight it and you can hate it, but nothing will stop the digital future. I for one, will continue to reap the rewards of giving my money directly to the artists--cheaper prices, more profit for the people who deserve it and no middle man in my way.

Crono1973:

Ultratwinkie:

Crono1973:

Nice math, there.

You make up numbers and call it my math. We call that a strawman.

I am done.

What's the name of that company everyone says is "the worst company in America" on this forum? The one every other thread is created to flame? That group people like to say they "hate"?

Oh yeah! The same one that owns and publishes every single one of the highest selling video games in history. Funny how that works. EA sure is suffering in sales numbers due to all this internet forum rage, huh.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Crono1973:
The big three are nothing like Steam. Look at the prices for downloadable versions of retail games on XBL and PSN.

Your idea: guy makes game, guy gives it to Sony, Sony sells it online and sells it to stores.

I'm going to let someone else explain to you how licensing works on consoles and why you can't just pay the developer directly.

What's the name of that company everyone says is "the worst company in America" on this forum? The one every other thread is created to flame? That group people like to say they "hate"?

Oh yeah! The same one that owns and publishes every single one of the highest selling video games in history. Funny how that works. EA sure is suffering in sales numbers due to all this internet forum rage, huh.

Wasn't there a thread not so long ago about some MMO company bidding to buy out EA or something? Yeah, they're doing fantastic.

Crono1973:
Wasn't there a thread not so long ago about some MMO company bidding to buy out EA or something? Yeah, they're doing fantastic.

You mean that massive MMO company company (one of the largest in the world) which, as the article said numerous times, has only enough money to buy about 6% of EA.

lul

Looks as if his entire apology was tailored by a man in a suit to combat the bad PR his hatred toward used games generated.

C'mon Crytek, at least try and cover it up a little.

Crytek?

whos tha... oh. OOOOH. The guys who keep making the same game over and over again?

Grey Day for Elcia:

Crono1973:

There's a reason it's so cheap to buy from Steam or straight from the developer--you aren't paying for multiple levels of markup on top of markup and the only games that don't see this huge decrease in cost are those also peddled in physical stores. Retail is a problem not a solution anymore.

The only argument that can possibly be made against purchasing directly from the creator is jobs; retail stores employ people to sell shit. But you know what? Tough. I'm not going to give you more money because you're running a business designed to gouge me as much as possible before I snap. With internet access and speeds soaring ever higher, the single use retail stores exist to serve is almost void--that is, they bring a selection of products to one place, so you don't have to run around. We've already seen book stores, music shops and DVD retailers fall of the cliff, now hanging on for dear life as they slowly fade. Not long it'll be video games' turn to make the leap to pure digital distribution.

You can deny it, you can fight it and you can hate it, but nothing will stop the digital future. I for one, will continue to reap the rewards of giving my money directly to the artists--cheaper prices, more profit for the people who deserve it and no middle man in my way.

"but think of the jobs is such a weak excuse anyway."

Just think of the thousand of job types that disappeared over time.

like this one.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abtrittanbieter

AKA: the "hey wanna take a dump in my bucket?" guy.

so sad.

certain professions disappear over time, thats the way it goes. And the classic "middle" man in trade matters has long since overstayed his welcome in certain branches of trade - like digital goods.

Credossuck:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Crono1973:

"but think of the jobs is such a weak excuse anyway."

Just think of the thousand of job types that disappeared over time.

like this one.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abtrittanbieter

AKA: the "hey wanna take a dump in my bucket?" guy.

so sad.

certain professions disappear over time, thats the way it goes. And the classic "middle" man in trade matters has long since overstayed his welcome in certain branches of trade - like digital goods.

Mmm. There was once a time when retail stores were a simple fact of life. But with the internet being what it is for so many people nowadays, going to a physical store and paying someone to sell you something for more money just makes no sense. Places like Gamestop, GAME, EB Games, etc., are just... pointless. When the internet becomes a little more universally available and the speeds are pushed a tad higher (especially in every country besides South Korea, China and the U.S.) the notion of retail stores will be utterly absurd to the coming generations.

Credossuck:
Crytek?

whos tha... oh. OOOOH. The guys who keep making the same game over and over again?

You're thinking of Nintendo.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Physical stores are all but obsolete and will cease to exist fairly shortly.

LOL.

It's adorable that you believe that. Considering that America, one of the biggest gaming nations, does not have the infrastructure to support digital distribution nationwide, that's a complete and utter farce.

I also don't know where you live that book stores and music stores are an endangered species, but this is not the case anywhere near me (the whole of New England, a bit south, and up into Canadia).

But at least we've gotten to the root of this frothing rage. You don't hate the used market, you just hate the physical market in general.

Zachary Amaranth:
It's adorable that you believe that.

Starting your rebuttal with an attempt to be condescending towards myself is a great way for me to instantly lose all interest in you and your opinion. Heads up.

Screamarie:

Frostbite3789:

Screamarie:
Hey to all the publishers and developers, I will stop buying used games for ever...if you can make it to where purchasing a new game doesn't leave me feeling irresponsible because I spent 60 dollars on a single form of entertainment solely for myself. If you can make it to where I can afford to buy new games without breaking my wallet, I'll swear off used games...but until then, that's the only way I can get more than maybe a couple of games a year.

Hi, my name is Steam, and almost everyday I have a special and have the most wonderful seasonal sales!

I don't like playing games on my PC. Plus, my little laptop doesn't play games well, in fact the only PC games I have is portal and the Sims.

I bought my consoles with the understanding that when I put in a game I know the hardware is exactly what I need to play the software and because the controller is easier on my hands and wrists.

I'm with you on this one. The only reason I still have a gaming PC is for games like medievaltotal war and civilization. I won't play any game released for console on the PC anymore and I used to be a dyed in the wool PC gamer. I am just sick of the system specs now. When I got a new game I used to have to spend 40 minutes dealing with system conflicts. Now with the console, there are no system conflicts. I can plug and play.

Much better deal since a console is cheaper than the video card alone.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here