Firaxis Unveils "Art of XCom" Community Video

Firaxis Unveils "Art of XCom" Community Video

The art director on the new XCom says the old X-Com really nailed it.

X-Com: UFO Defense was a very visual game. Strategy and tactics formed its central core, but the visuals are what brought it to life. The dead Sectoid split open and pinned down on the laboratory table, the pixellated shadows of night-time battlefields, the rotating intercept globe: these are the exclamation points that punctuate our memories of the game. That's a fact not lost on XCom: Enemy Unknown Art Director Greg Foertsch, who said in the new "Art of XCom" community video that it's "super-cool" that the developers of the mid-90s classic were able to come up with such strong, enduring imagery at only 320x240 resolution.

The new game won't change things up too much, as Foertsch said the team looked back on the decisions made by the original developers and found that they've held up pretty well over the years. The first X-Com "really played with stereotype," he explained, and the new game will as well.

"These guys, they don't look like real soldiers, they look like G.I. Joes. And I said, 'Yeah, right, they actually are. They're action figures'," he explained. "It was something that I knew internally but hadn't actually necessarily vocalized at that point, and when I was called out on it, to actually sit there and think about it for a second... that's absolutely correct. We are making action figures."

XCom: Enemy Unknown is scheduled to come out in the fall for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Talking about giving people a new choice in how they game.
Sit in front of a palate washed picture of a heavily armored space marine with a huge gun crouching behind cover.

Talk about playing to stereotype.

DVS BSTrD:
Talking about giving people a new choice in how they game.
Sit in front of a palate washed picture of a heavily armored space marine with a huge gun crouching behind cover.

Talk about playing to stereotype.

Dude.

Shut up.

X-com.

I loved the original, and I can't help but be suspicious of this remake. I want it to be good, I *really* do, but seeing the monster artwork worries me. It's just not creepy enough, it doesn't give me the same fear response as the old-school design. Meh, can't suck any more than the fps remake though, amirite?

Andy Chalk:
The first X-Com "really played with stereotype," he explained, and the new game will as well.

This is why I preferred Terror From the Deep. Too bad they decided to return to cliché sci-fi for the new game.

I just really, really hope they give out devkits so we can mod it back to the way the original game played rather than the new way. I much preferred managing TUs and being able to have ten dudes with flying power armour, nine heavy plasma cannons, one blaster bomb launcher, ten psi-sticks, ten laser pistols and four laser tanks. All four of my squads were alien-genocide in a can.

ScruffyMcBalls:
I loved the original, and I can't help but be suspicious of this remake. I want it to be good, I *really* do, but seeing the monster artwork worries me. It's just not creepy enough, it doesn't give me the same fear response as the old-school design. Meh, can't suck any more than the fps remake though, amirite?

How the hell is this creepy? It looks like a body builder from outer space with a latex fetish. The ethereal wasn't much better. They looked like a villain you might see in Dragon Ball Z.

Ultratwinkie:

How the hell is this creepy? It looks like a body builder from outer space with a latex fetish. The ethereal wasn't much better. They looked like a villain you might see in Dragon Ball Z.

The artwork shown there isn't creepy, it's scifi shlock which players are easily able to connect to. The only really creepy ones are the dissection pictures like this one.

That one even more so for me because chrysalids still worry me even when they're already dead. To be honest the gameplay footage seems pretty interesting and some of their design decisions make sense. I hope it turns out to be good.

Ultratwinkie:

ScruffyMcBalls:

I've seen a couple of your comments on other threads, and I'm pretty confident that you're just being an non-constructive ass for the sake of being a non-constructive ass so I'm going to dismiss the stupidity of that statement. But if you want an answer to the question, it's simple, I obviously find shit creepy you don't, especially facelessness. Get over it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here