Sega Puts Bayonetta 2 in Stasis

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Sega Puts Bayonetta 2 in Stasis

Sega's sexy heroine is unlikely to see a sequel anytime soon.

When you think about it, it's odd that Bayonetta had absolutely no trouble trouncing the creator of the universe, but she now finds herself brought low by a videogame publisher. The leggy witch put on a strong show in 2010's Bayonetta, but even a critical success with respectable sales can't guarantee a sequel in Sega's current sea of financial troubles. There is no clear consensus between Sega and developer Platinum Games, but development seems to have halted on Bayonetta 2, leaving the heroine's next adventure stalled.

Based on information from a source familiar with Sega's internal workings, Bayonetta 2 appears to have been in a relatively early stage of preproduction. Due to its finances being cursed by an Umbra witch, Sega had to drop a number of employees and game projects recently. Platinum Games, Bayonetta's developer, does not deliver the mega-hits Sega needs to stay afloat right now, and the stylish action sequel likely got caught in the crossfire. Bayonetta 2 may eventually see the light of day; however, don't expect Sega to invest in any major project that can't promise major financial success anytime soon.

Sega is still letting some quirky smaller titles through to release, but Bayonetta 2's cancellation seems like a reasonable conclusion. In addition to a noncommittal "No comment" from Sega, the franchise would require a ton of resources and appeal to a niche audience. While it would probably make back its investment and a small profit, the drain on Sega's resources until the game's completion might be too much of a financial burden during already difficult times. It just goes to show that sometimes the almighty dollar can be an even more fearsome enemy than all the angels, witches, and corrupt clergymen in Europe.

Source: SPOnG

being one of the few people that did not care for the first one, I see no loss here.

Brad Shepard:
being one of the few people that did not care for the first one, I see no loss here.

i thinks its the majority that didn't like it so I'm part of the small group that did.

But....but....why? WHY!!

I was really hoping there would be a second. I hope that this sees the light of day, somehow.

Well, that sucks. Bayonetta was probably the best hacky/slashy combat game I've played. Even it's detractors would probably admit that mechanically it was damn near perfect (the game's tone being the main problem people seemed to raise about it).

Still, I can hold out hope for a sequel in the future and in the meantime Platinum are bringing both Metal Gear Rising and Anarchy Reigns along to sustain my hacky/slashy needs for the next while.

Well I never bought the first one since I mainly use my PS3 and I couldn't stop hearing about how bad a port that was so I didn't get it. Though I did play the demo and that was amazing. Well Sega tell me what titles to buy to help you stay afloat and I'll do it.

I never played Bayonneta, so long as Anarchy Reigns is OK, I'm good.

I still don't understand what the hell happened in that game, but the fighting was great when ice-skating around in a tutu and swinging a whip.

Dammit, I Loved me some Bayonetta, I suppose its just as well though, I don't use my 360 anymore and it would probably not be on the pc.

Never really liked Bayonetta, ah well.

That game was like watching an exploitation flick on steroids, and by god it was awesome. I'll be honest and say I didn't expect a sequel so it's kinda sad to hear they were working on one and now it's cancelled.

This isn't the sort of bust I expected from Bayonetta.

tony2077:

Brad Shepard:

i thinks its the majority that didn't like it so I'm part of the small group that did.

played it, but felt it was still a bad game.

By the time I beat it the first time I had no real reason or want to play it a second to unlock arbitrary costumes.

Also, the leaps between difficulties was neck snapping, by the first boss I had to go down in difficulty, by the fourth I had to end up playing on the pitiful and painfully obvious easy mode.

I'm all for difficult games, but when you fight a boss on Normal and get your ass handed to you, then go back on Easy and completely destroy everything, that's a bad design.

Needless to say, after the ending of the first one, I can honestly say let it stay in stasis or development hell for a few years, nothing of value will be lost.

tony2077:

Brad Shepard:

No, he was in the minority. I've heard a lot more praise for the game than criticism. It was an awesome game (IMO, the best game of this console generation) and it needs to LIVE!

DVS BSTrD:

Booooooo.

Also, sadface. I really liked the first Bayonetta (even beating it on Hard, but I'm not crazy enough to try Infinite Climax Mode) and was hopping for the sequel.

Kind of sad that one of the better female characters in gaming doesn't get to have another game.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

tony2077:

Brad Shepard:

No, he was in the minority. I've heard a lot more praise for the game than criticism. It was an awesome game (IMO, the best game of this console generation) and it needs to LIVE!

hmm when it comes to games like this I'm usually in the minority hard to believe the majority liked it

tony2077:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

tony2077:

hmm when it comes to games like this I'm usually in the minority hard to believe the majority liked it

It was a Devil May Cry game that was more DMC than DMC4 was. When you make a great game, people like it. Simple as that.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

tony2077:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

It was a Devil May Cry game that was more DMC than DMC4 was. When you make a great game, people like it. Simple as that.

i know its just hard to believe. am i right to say the minority liked dmc4?

Bayonetta was one of my favorite games on current generation platforms so I'm understandably disappointed.

One of the best action games to hit consoles in recent years! I was hoping it'd become a series in its own right, so it's a shame to hear we may not be getting a sequel. ;_;

Bayonetta was an interesting game, I liked it more than I thought I would.

That said, having just finished listening to Bob's "Big Picture" video for this week, I have gaming politics on my mind, and I wouldn't be surprised if finances have less to do with it than you might think.

Bayonetta was actually pretty well received, it didn't have majority dislike, just a lot of vocal people who like to QQ about the artwork of women in fantasy and games like the DOA franchise who jumped on this game as well. It rated well, sold really well in Japan apparently, and made money internationally. A sequel would be safe money under most circumstances.

However a second term by Obama might be a very unfriendly enviroment for any kind of video game with potentially touchy content. He won't have to worry about re-election, and his still carrying around Hillary with him apparently. Video games are one of his favorite scapegoats to avoid other issues when discussing everything from social policy to children's health. The president can't set policy but he CAN influance it, and a second term of Obama will have him looking to set down a legacy, and going after video games are a "safe" target for him to try and do so.

So basically I wouldn't be surprised if Sega and other publishers are laying low with projects like this until theyknow what is going to happen. Elections favor the incumbant, so the odds are things could go badly for a game like this.

If Mitt wins, you'll probably see this project and others picked up again by coincidence. Not so much because Mitt is some bastion of tolerance for extreme and fringe media, but being in his first term he won't be willing to throw down on issues like that in a big way for four years at least.

I've never played Bayonetta, I think I'm going to now. :<

Therumancer:
Snip

Man, it just keeps getting worse. First he declares a war on religion, then he tries to raise taxes and now he threatens our Bayonetta's! Where will he stop?

Therumancer:
Bayonetta was an interesting game, I liked it more than I thought I would.

That said, having just finished listening to Bob's "Big Picture" video for this week, I have gaming politics on my mind, and I wouldn't be surprised if finances have less to do with it than you might think.

Bayonetta was actually pretty well received, it didn't have majority dislike, just a lot of vocal people who like to QQ about the artwork of women in fantasy and games like the DOA franchise who jumped on this game as well. It rated well, sold really well in Japan apparently, and made money internationally. A sequel would be safe money under most circumstances.

However a second term by Obama might be a very unfriendly enviroment for any kind of video game with potentially touchy content. He won't have to worry about re-election, and his still carrying around Hillary with him apparently. Video games are one of his favorite scapegoats to avoid other issues when discussing everything from social policy to children's health. The president can't set policy but he CAN influance it, and a second term of Obama will have him looking to set down a legacy, and going after video games are a "safe" target for him to try and do so.

So basically I wouldn't be surprised if Sega and other publishers are laying low with projects like this until theyknow what is going to happen. Elections favor the incumbant, so the odds are things could go badly for a game like this.

If Mitt wins, you'll probably see this project and others picked up again by coincidence. Not so much because Mitt is some bastion of tolerance for extreme and fringe media, but being in his first term he won't be willing to throw down on issues like that in a big way for four years at least.

All I can say is "lol conspiracy theories."

Paragon Fury:

DVS BSTrD:

Booooooo.

Also, sadface. I really liked the first Bayonetta (even beating it on Hard, but I'm not crazy enough to try Infinite Climax Mode) and was hopping for the sequel.

Kind of sad that one of the better female characters in gaming doesn't get to have another game.

I managed to finish it on Non-Stop Infinite Climax. The final boss wasn't as bad as I thought but that last battle with Jeanne was a total nightmare, was at it for hours.

It's sad there probably won't be a sequel now, as well as being a good game, Bayonetta was one of those few games that also just managed to be straight up great fun to play. Will probably have to dust it off for another round now....

Therumancer:
-Snip de snip-

Well, I was going to say "inb4 conspiracy theories" or "inb4 politics" but congratulations, you've managed to astonishingly break that open with one helluva post. I'm not sure whether to applaud or back away slowly.

I am disappoint. I can believe I didn't see this coming. Get your shit together SEGA!

This a shame.

I actually loved Bayonetta and enjoyed it more than God of War - I'd really like to see a sequel of this wacky fun

Hmmm I thought Bayonetta was developed by Platinum, or is this one of those cases of the publisher owning the rights and sitting on them.

And yet, they keep managing to find the wherewithal to flog the dead hedgehog. (Boy, does that sound like some kind of grotesque euphemism.) Do these people hate money?...

Seriously, though, I'm saddened to see Sega come to this. They were an innovative and energetic company that for an extended stretch just couldn't seem to catch a break, but since they got out of hardware they've just seemed to keep putting new millstones around their neck.

Eric the Orange:
Hmmm I thought Bayonetta was developed by Platinum, or is this one of those cases of the publisher owning the rights and sitting on them.

General rule of thumb. The publisher nearly always owns the rights.

Not to be a nay-sayer here, but once you've had the creator of the universe smashed into the sun, how the hell do you make a decent 2nd game with a story that matters without resorting to prequel bullshite anyway?

as a university student, I can safely say that this is one of the few games that I would happily eat noodles for a week for.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
At least she's in Anarchy Reigns, I suppose.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here