Germany Bans the Xbox 360

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Germany Bans the Xbox 360

A courtroom loss means Microsoft can no longer sell the Xbox 360 in Germany.

A "shock ruling" in a patent dispute between Microsoft and Motorola involving the H.264 video codec means the company will no longer be allowed to distribute its Xbox 360 console to retailers in Germany and might even have to recall systems currently in stock and destroy them. The injunction against the distribution of "key Microsoft products" in the country also encompasses Windows 7 discs and the digital distribution of Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.

"We are pleased that the Mannheim Court found that Microsoft products infringe Motorola Mobility's intellectual property," Motorola Mobility said in a statement.

Some kind of settlement is almost certain but will likely take serious negotiations to reach, as Microsoft estimates that it will cost $4 billion per year to meet all of Motorola's demands. In the meantime, the ruling won't actually take effect until Microsoft has exhausted the appeals process.

"This is one step in a long process, and we are confident that Motorola will eventually be held to its promise to make its standard essential patents available on fair and reasonable terms for the benefit of consumers who enjoy video on the web," a Microsoft rep said.

Microsoft also recently suffered a courtroom loss to Motorola in the U.S., where a judge ruled that it was guilty of infringing upon four of Motorola's patents.

Source: Develop

Oh wow... This is something else...
I can't tell if this is just, or just a case of patent trolling gone horribly wrong.
Why did they wait this long?

Yet Microsoft is going to be able to keep selling systems because another ongoing case against Motorola prevents them from being able to enforce this ruling, lols all around.

While ordering them to destroy existing stock is harsh, it shouldn't come as a surprise. It's not like the Xbox would be the first thing cooked in a Deutsch oven.

Epic thread is epic.

pass the lulz all around; plenty for everyone!

So Microsoft vs. Germany
Luckily none of them nuclear weapons
Although I'm pretty sure US nuclear arsenal runs on Windows
One day there will pop-up appear on all control terminals
"What city in Germany would you like to bomb? <Ok>" (yes only single button :D )

Oh, this thread is gonna have so many nazi jokes, isn't it? *sigh*

Gearhead mk2:

I can say I did nazi this coming.

Gearhead mk2:

You expected something a little classier? It would be as likely as a thread about Japan without it being locked due to it diverting to discussions about Pearl Harbour.

Hang on, Motorola holds the patent on the H.264 codec? That's news to me.

And I suppose we can chalk this up to another case where a major software company suffers greatly from violating a software patent yet fails to learn that software patents are a bad thing.

Torrasque:

Gearhead mk2:

Anne Frankly, I won't stand for it.

Someone has to make a Downfall parody over this, seriously. This just sets itself up perfectly for one.

Also, it appears no-one has yet forgotten that Germany started a few wars and had a man who ruined Charlie Chaplin's facial hair style, a sacred buddhist symbol, and how people look when they are left hanging when trying to get a High Five.

In all seriousness, I think this might make Microsoft do something a bit more than a double take and they ought to go to Motorola with some nice wine and fresh lipstick.

Calumon: They should ban Playstations! They're heavy and fall on you and you can't move no matter how hard you wriggle! D:

Andy Shandy:

Torrasque:

Gearhead mk2:

Really Reiching for puns, aren't we?

Irridium:

Andy Shandy:

Torrasque:

I love you all.

PS: Lolmicrosoft. No idea if it's waranted, but I'm glad to see em lose for a change.

Irridium:

Andy Shandy:

Torrasque:

These Nazi jokes are making me Fuhrerious.

This is pretty funny...
So now we will have millions of people not playing xbox in Germany. Sounds cool, everyone will just buy a PS3

Jack and Calumon:
Someone has to make a Downfall parody over this, seriously. This just sets itself up perfectly for one.

Calumon: They should ban Playstations! They're heavy and fall on you and you can't move no matter how hard you wriggle! D:

Someone needs to make a Hitler Reacts video to go along with this. Not only is it perfect, but it's perfect!

Slightly related: having recently finished watching Digimon Tamers again, I can appreciate your posts so much more! But then they make me want to watch Tamers again =|

Sir Ollie:

Irridium:

Andy Shandy:

I don't know about you but I'm Goebbeling them up

Sir Ollie:

Irridium:

Andy Shandy:

I apologise, we're just Panzering to the crowd

These kinds of news always remind me of this quote:

"If the real world could be patented like software, expect to be sued every time you place one foot in front of the other to propel yourself forwards."

savageoblivi0n:

Sir Ollie:

Irridium:

Can we stop it with the Nazi puns, please; they're offensive and take me out of Mein Kampfort zone.

Meh,it's meaningless. I'm relatively sure thy can keep playing the run around game to last the rest of this console generation. Part of me smiles at this though. Just a small part though, I promise.

Microsoft: Can we continue selling our console in germany?

Answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MLry6Cn_D4

(I am allowed to do such jokes...I am German :p)

Oh puns, how we love thee so.

OT: First Japan, now Germany? I can definitely bet that we'll be hearing updates on the Nextbox by next year at the latest, if not later this year. After all, it's not like Microsoft has anything else to care about or fall back on... like, say, home computers...

blackrave:
So Microsoft vs. Germany

Not really. This is just a single battle in the currently raging patent war between a few IT giants such as Microsoft, Google, Oracle and Apple. In this case, Microsoft has just gotten a taste of its own medicine.

Germany itself is not really involved in any accusations. It's just a battleground.

I've started to visit the escapist a lot less lately. Only really for a few video series and this is one of the reasons why. Look at the title of this article, it says "Germany Bans the Xbox 360". But Germany didn't ban it. The sale of it is banned. not the actual consoles. Also it's not banned but Microsoft pretty much decided it would cost too much to continue selling it. This title is misleading as all fuck. Seriously escapist get your shit together.

P.S. stop posting late news (not referring to this article but many others)

And thus, Germany once again starts another World War!

10BIT:

"If the real world could be patented like software, expect to be sued every time you place one foot in front of the other to propel yourself forwards."

savageoblivi0n:

Sir Ollie:

Can we stop it with the Nazi puns, please; they're offensive and take me out of Mein Kampfort zone.

Come on, it's just for Auschwitz and giggles. Nothing wrong with that, SSurely?

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, I can hardly say that I feel sorry for Microsoft. That said, I'd imagine a lot of German gamers are less than pleased given that this seems like it's going to seriously hurt both the console and PC platforms given that windows seems to be covered under the ruling.

That said I wouldn't be shocked if a bunch of Motorola execs die in an plane accident or something, followed by the company dropping it's claims. It probably won't happen, but if it did, I'm calling "first to predict it" (at least on these forums). :)

I have a German Xbox 360, and in the case of a recall they will have a harder time getting it off me then they would have retaking Berlin from the Russians.

Copyright infringement, eh Microsoft?
"Now the rubber band is on the other claw!"

Wow. It's a good time to be a PS3 fanboy now isn't it?

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

10BIT:

savageoblivi0n:

Come on, it's just for Auschwitz and giggles. Nothing wrong with that, SSurely?

Once Microsoft finds the Final Solution for all this, the Nazi jokes will stop.

And this is why software patents are bad, mmkay?

I love clicking on a serious sounding thread and finding it full of nazi jokes.
I wish I was kidding.

OT: Are they actually going to go through with this? It's madness.

DVS BSTrD:
While ordering them to destroy existing stock is harsh, it shouldn't come as a surprise. It's not like the Xbox would be the first thing cooked in a Deutsch oven.

somehow I did not see that coming.

and goodwins law is invoked, the jokes cant be used

OT: Such a shame, I mean, since NO OTHER COUNTRY AROUND GERMANY SELLS 360's OR ANYTHING, I mean, this is a serious blow to both Microsoft and the Consumer.

Sad that Google is not going to kill off any of MMIs litigation when it becomes owner of the firm.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here