Germany Bans the Xbox 360

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Steve the Pocket:

And I suppose we can chalk this up to another case where a major software company suffers greatly from violating a software patent yet fails to learn that software patents are a bad thing.

Or just fails to realise that screwing with other people's intellectual properties is a bad idea.

The lulz! THERE'S TOO MANY OF THEM!!!

This is a seriously huge fuck-up on Microsoft's part.

GeorgW:
Wait, it's not April 1st...
How can this even happen? Can someone explain this in legalese?

Motorola haz patent.

Microsoft maeks xbox using patent.

Motorola no liek Microsoft using patent.

Motorola suez.

Seriously, though, I don't know what needs to be explained.

Oh man, posters doing lame nazi jokes as if in an attempt to be part of one of those lame "pics of week" articles on some random crappy site, oh Escapists...I thought we were better than this.

DVS BSTrD:
While ordering them to destroy existing stock is harsh, it shouldn't come as a surprise. It's not like the Xbox would be the first thing cooked in a Deutsch oven.

Welp, gone Godwin in three replies. That's a pretty good result I'd say!

Arrogancy:

Captain Booyah:

Da Orky Man:

Maybe some Luft-waffles will cheer everyone up. The we can Getstapoo with the Nazi puns?

You should have known that this was Goering to be a long thread.

Wermacht have to stop, we could seriously offend some people.

So distasteful, I kamph beleive you people!

THE PUNS. OH HOW THEY BURRRRN.

OT: This was unexpected. But I doubt it'll come to anything in the long run M$ is more then capable of paying what it needs to get its products back in Germany. I'll be surprised if they don't.

I did Nazi this coming and I don't think its Reich to ban something such as xbox 360 (or any form of non-offensive entertainment) cause they are gonna ghetto large backlash from inside the country as well as from busineSSes that sell and import electronic goods.

However saying that german Mac users are probably gloating right now about there computers superiority, anne frankly I don't think that the PC users should stand for this.

Im gona gestappo these Nazi puns reich now as they are Goering to get old quite quickly and are just Panzering to the crowd. Mein Kampf-idence isnt what I used to be so it took all my concentration to keep this post going for so long.

*sigh* I'm going to heil for this!

ryo02:

germany banning a lucrative business during economic crisis that doesnt seem smart.

It's this kind of thinking which causes problems. Microsoft is in breach of copyright laws and therefore need to pay for it. You're suggesting that Microsoft should be allowed to break laws because we're in a "economic crisis".
This kind of thinking happens in quite a few places and gets exploited by companies and governments.

In Tokyo over 900 companies were found to be breaking most employment laws. From forcing employees to work 50-60 hour weeks with no holiday or refusing to pay overtime. The government turns a blind eye to such things because "It's not good to fine companies during an economic crisis".
While I was living in Tokyo one of my clients (who worked for a bank) had not returned home in 5 days because he was working 18 hours a day and would sleep in his office.

So yeah, as silly as these laws may seem, they need to be respected.

Besides, German retailers over price their games so horrifically that I would never be able to afford games for an Xbox anyway. I'm living in Berlin now and my local Gamestop was selling 'Oblivion' for €60.
€60 for a game as old as Oblivion! Madness.

I'm not entirely sure how this will affect imports. If I import a laptop from the UK, I cannot imagine that the authorities will check my laptops OS during shipping.

So yea, I understand Motorola is trying to protect it's IP and all, and that's nice. But ordering destruction/recall of the item instead of just sueing for royalties or something more financial instead of destroying a product that many consumers enjoy?

Motorola can eat a dick in this case. Yea Microsoft fucked up but that quote from Motorola is worse. The consumers are going to be the ones getting the short straw here because of this little hissy fit.

nothing will happen.

Motorola is just mad because nobody buys their shit phones anymore.

Is the patent own by Motorola Mobility or Motorola Solutions?

This is interesting. I hope it raises some fruitful discussion about patents etc., but it most probably won't.

This is hardly big news, by the time the appeals fall out the 360 will be dead. And we all know there won't be any backward compatibility for 360 games in the new one.

So what exactly happens if Windows 7 becomes illegal/has to be recalled? Has Motorola suddenly forced an entire country to switch to Apple products? It could be like some kind of bizarre iPocalypse.

Eppy (Bored):
So what exactly happens if Windows 7 becomes illegal/has to be recalled? Has Motorola suddenly forced an entire country to switch to Apple products? It could be like some kind of bizarre iPocalypse.

I thought I'd heard something about Angela Merkel buying a load of Apple shares...

Can't they just replace the codec with another or remove it completely?

Smart move... appeal till the X-box 7000 comes out... the 360 is old enough to warrant not being sold anymore.

Somehow, I don't see Microsoft giving up this case so easily.

They'll probably try to exhaust every option they can to keep their products in Germany until Motorola runs out of money or patience to continue the whole process. I'm not too familiar with the specifics of the patent that these two companies are having a big courtroom battle over, but I've seen enough stories about big companies basically wearing out the opposing party's wallet until they win these kind of debates to see that, unless Motorola has a lot of financial backing, they're not particularly intimidating Microsoft.

But I'm not too familiar with Germany's judicial system, either, so this might be something to pay more attention to, I dunno.

Well, that sucks. Sorry, Germany.

Mr Companion:

Arrogancy:

Captain Booyah:

You should have known that this was Goering to be a long thread.

Wermacht have to stop, we could seriously offend some people.

So distasteful, I kamph beleive you people!

You must stop this Reich now or you will create a bad Model for others to follow.

Hehe these puns are breaking Mien Spleen apart. I can smell a Scheiße storm brewing..

Sizzle Montyjing:
Oh wow... This is something else...
I can't tell if this is just, or just a case of patent trolling gone horribly wrong.
Why did they wait this long?

It was probably delayed in courts. Chances are it was filed shortly after Kinect came out. That's what big companies do, delay the courts until you lose interest or you make more money from it and hire more lawyers to keep stalling or come up with a defence.

OT: This is pretty shocking to be banned in Germany, but even with all they're gonna throw at them and charge them, this is mere pennies for Microsoft. This isn't going to bankrupt them or anything.

so they are going to take all of those metals that are bi*** to get and just smash them.. makes sense to me.

10BIT:
These kinds of news always remind me of this quote:

"If the real world could be patented like software, expect to be sued every time you place one foot in front of the other to propel yourself forwards."

savageoblivi0n:

Sir Ollie:

These Nazi jokes are making me Fuhrerious.

I don't know about you but I'm Goebbeling them up

Can we stop it with the Nazi puns, please; they're offensive and take me out of Mein Kampfort zone.

Agreed. I am going Rammel into anyone who posts another one.

imnotparanoid:
I love clicking on a serious sounding thread and finding it full of nazi jokes.
I wish I was kidding.

OT: Are they actually going to go through with this? It's madness.

Madness? THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAA!

Winners, sony and nintendo.

so it's not germany vs xbox it's motorola vs microsoft and they happen to choose a german court
and also the ruling isn't even in effect yet

way to blow up a title....

Saulkar:

10BIT:
These kinds of news always remind me of this quote:

"If the real world could be patented like software, expect to be sued every time you place one foot in front of the other to propel yourself forwards."

savageoblivi0n:

I don't know about you but I'm Goebbeling them up

Can we stop it with the Nazi puns, please; they're offensive and take me out of Mein Kampfort zone.

Agreed. I am going Rammel into anyone who posts another one.

What the Heil is wrong with you all? This is absolutely no laughing matter.

Yes, ban Xbox 360s. Punish the consumers for something the technicians did wrong. It's not like a simple money payment could reconcile the problem. This isn't like that Zimmerman case.

Seriously, bail money for murder makes no sense, but a monetary penalty for this would make much more sense than destroying products.

xxcloud417xx:

What the Heil is wrong with you all? This is absolutely no laughing matter.

I fail to see the pun in your comment thus I assume there is no pun and that you derailed a perfectly good line of puns and thus I rewardingly pun-ish you with the golden voice of Mark Hamill laughing at matter.

Hankman would be so proud of you guys/gals. It brings a tear to my eye...

OT: Well, guess there won't be any Halo Reach: Fails of the Weak submissions from Germany anymore. On a more serious note, sheer idiocy in all parties involved. This accomplishes nothing good. Just wait, there will be a reaction from the gamers in that area.

Jack and Calumon:
Calumon: They should ban Playstations! They're heavy and fall on you and you can't move no matter how hard you wriggle! D:

That is the saddest and also cutest thing I've ever seen, lol.

OT: Awesome. Just plain awesome. Copyright and IP laws are really, really important, right Microsoft? Okay. Suck on that.

Gardenia:
Copyright infringement, eh Microsoft?
"Now the rubber band is on the other claw!"

Exactamundo.

It's all well and good to hoard your little collection of patents and secrets, but you don't like it when someone else wants to do the same, I'll bet, Microsoft.

Delicious!

Zachary Amaranth:

Steve the Pocket:

And I suppose we can chalk this up to another case where a major software company suffers greatly from violating a software patent yet fails to learn that software patents are a bad thing.

Or just fails to realise that screwing with other people's intellectual properties is a bad idea.

You know, that could actually spark a really important discussion. I don't know enough about it to feel worthy of wading in and defending my standpoint (I'm standing on some pretty shallow knowledge here) but I'd like to see the debate occur.

Oh, and for the record my standpoint is that while individuals having a right to their creations is good, the implementation of patents and intellectual property is so insanely stupid that it hurts my head. For example: Nintendo owns the rights to the D-pad (plus, cross) style of gamepad, see below.

So too does... I forget who it is, but someone owns the right, I fucking kid you not, to mini-games during loading screens.

As I said, I couldn't really defend my opinion beyond "dat's stupid, mkay," so take this comment for what it's worth.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here