EA Manager Calls Black Ops Brand "Tired"

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

EA Manager Calls Black Ops Brand "Tired"

Begun the PR war has.

It's that time of year again, folks. Another Call of Duty game is on its way and, as tradition dictates, it's time for EA and Activision to have their annual slagging match. This year, EA has cast the first stone with a delightful tweet from global product manager Kevin O'Leary.

"Poor [Black Ops II], you look tired, you should take a year off and rest," he wrote.

Now if I were the unpleasant, sarcastic kind of journalist, I would now point out that someone working for Electronic Arts, a company which invented, refined and perfected the art of milking franchises into horrifying dried-out husks, criticising another company for doing exactly that is akin to Jeffery Dahmer calling someone out on their poor hospitality. A bit cheeky, if you catch my drift.

It remains to be seen if this season's clash of the publishers will be as exciting as last year's. During the run up to the showdown between Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3, both EA and Activision laid down some heavy zingers, pausing only to criticize each other for doing so before getting right back into it. It was hilarious, if a little sad.

Some argue that two of the industry's most notable publishers going at each other in the PR equivalent of a schoolyard brawl sets a poor example to other publishers, embarasses the industry as a whole and encourages the annoying "Us Vs. Them" argumentative nonsense that makes gaming forums unbearable. What these people fail to understand is that schoolyard brawls are awesome.

Source: GameIndustryBiz

The first shot has been fired. I'll go get the popcorn.

Dammit EA, there's nothing wrong with the Black Ops brand. Hell, there is no Black Ops brand: It's the Call of Duty brand you need to address! I eagerly await the rebuttal and in the meantime will daydream about the days of Sega and Nintendo's rivalry...if only the internet then was as it is now...

I dont think EA can say much about CoD considering battlefield is the same thing every time as well.

At this point, I'm beginning to think "is an asshole" is a necessary part of your resume if you want to rise up the ranks at EA.

I also wonder if "taking immature jabs at your rivals that most twelve year olds would roll their eyes at" is a proven marketing technique.

EA shot first!

Well, they're one to talk, what with the following after CoD's steps with their shooting games and whatnot.
Also, I think he meant to say CoD franchise. Blops barely has one sequel that's not even out yet. You can't say it looks tired at this point.

Poor EA. They need troll classes.

...What's that? Banning people from playing their games? Wait, hold on...

Ok, never mind folks.

Ummm EA.....

This.

That is all.

Actually no. You may call CoD a tired Brand but what does that make you? A tired copy?

I don't actually like CoD, but this is rich comming from EA.

I do have to say that both the new MoH and the new CoD have me mildly interested, interest which I am sure will die as soon as the first reviews hit.

Sneezeguard:
Ummm EA.....

This.

That is all.

Actually no. You make call CoD a tired Brand but what does that make you? A tired copy?

I don't actually like CoD, but this is rich comming from EA.

Damn, ninja'd so bad.

'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone'

In other words, both EA and Activision need to shut the fuck up, about everything, forever.

Oh boy not one page into the comments, already tingling with spewing irrational hatred and the joke flying right over their heads.

I hope this year of shooter wars has better zingers than last year.

I don't get his statement, is he trolling?

Black Ops came out 2 years ago, and this will only be the second one. Hell if one sequel was too much, we wouldn't have seen the likes of HL2, TF2, Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Saint's Row 2, Just Cause 2, Halo 2, Serious Sam 2, TES2: Daggerfall, I could probably go on.

cryogeist:
I dont think EA can say much about CoD considering battlefield is the same thing every time as well.

I think the bigger irony here is the roster update sports games like FIFA and MADDEN owned by EA.

entertainment is now on the way
*sits back with popcorn*

...Am I the only one who read this as a pretty mild observation that Treyarch and Infinity Ward take alternate years to release a game? I mean, Black Ops did take a year off. The year MW3 came out instead of a new Blops.

Captcha is "Lose Face". Maybe my opinion will not be appreciated?

dyre:
At this point, I'm beginning to think "is an asshole" is a necessary part of your resume if you want to rise up the ranks at EA.

Pretty sure that's true of any major game company.

CardinalPiggles:
I don't get his statement, is he trolling?

Black Ops came out 2 years ago, and this will only be the second one. Hell if one sequel was too much, we wouldn't have seen the likes of HL2, TF2, Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Saint's Row 2, Just Cause 2, Halo 2, Serious Sam 2, TES2: Daggerfall, I could probably go on.

cryogeist:

I think the bigger irony here is the roster update sports games like FIFA and MADDEN owned by EA.

well yeah there's that. but there's a lot more Call of Duty VS Battlefield out there than CoD V FiFa

LETS DO THIS!

EA is packin' heat! Can Activision rebuttal? Tune in next week! And prepare yourself for the ever so hyped follow up to the BF3-MW3 Clash of 2011! Coming soon....

BLOPS2 VS (Another-generic-FPS-by-EA-seriously-can-we-just-stop-this-is-bloody-ridiculous-both-companies-suck-ass-and-make-shitty-generic-sequels) Of 2012!!!!!!

LoL, this just looks like sour grapes because their COD clone failed. I mean, most of COD clones from Activision (anything after Modern Warfare) are tired, it's true. But that is the pot calling the kettle black. I'll use a more colorful euphemism, that is Stalin calling Hitler a murderer. Ha, yeah, that one is a bit more fun.

I just pictured an Activision exec smiling and going "You mad bro?".

Being old doesn't matter to Activision, not making a profit matters to Activision, same goes for EA but I guess this manager didn't get the memo.

Zachary Amaranth:

dyre:

Pretty sure that's true of any major game company.

Hmm, how about "is an asshole and doesn't try to hide it from the public at all" >_>

Oh gods, not this shit again.

Someone needs to grab these two, bash their heads together and then force them to sit down for a nice tea party.

Wow, EA... That was... pathetic. Only one of those games actually exists... The sequel actually seems legitimately-different... there's already two trilogies in this franchise... And EA is... Wow.

I'm really starting to see why you people hate them so much. All I knew beforehand was that they made some awesome 007 and Lego games back in the day and purchased Borne Games and Popcap. Then, I came here.

Lugbzurg:

I'm really starting to see why you people hate them so much. All I knew beforehand was that they made some awesome 007 and Lego games back in the day and purchased Borne Games and Popcap. Then, I came here.

Wait you're talking about EA here right? They do own both Borne and Popcap, but not 007 (Activision) and Lego games were published by (Eidos, Lucasarts, and later Disney) and all developed by Travelers Tales (Warner Bros).

OT: This is just adorable watching them like schoolyard children "My franchise can beat up your franchise" and such.

MegaManOfNumbers:
LETS DO THIS!

EA is packin' heat! Can Activision rebuttal? Tune in next week! And prepare yourself for the ever so hyped follow up to the BF3-MW3 Clash of 2011! Coming soon....

BLOPS2 VS (Another-generic-FPS-by-EA-seriously-can-we-just-stop-this-is-bloody-ridiculous-both-companies-suck-ass-and-make-shitty-generic-sequels) Of 2012!!!!!!

To be fair I think it is due to be Medal of Honor: Gun Shooter that is due out this year, maybe the MoH and BF franchises will take it in turns in a biennial basis now?

amazing. hang on €A, i want to make my self comfortable.
making remarks about COD, but what about their games like the fifa series or BF?? oh €A, why are you so €A?

Grey Carter:

Now if I were the unpleasant, sarcastic kind of journalist, I would now point out that someone working for Electronic Arts, a company which invented, refined and perfected the art of milking franchises into horrifying dried-out husks, criticising another company for doing exactly that is akin to Jeffery Dahmer calling someone out on their poor hospitality. A bit cheeky, if you catch my drift.

it's fortunate then you are a paragon of journalistic integrity, who would never stoop to such a low

Some argue that two of the industry's most notable publishers going at each other in the PR equivalent of a schoolyard brawl sets a poor example to other publishers, embarasses the industry as a whole and encourages the annoying "Us Vs. Them" argumentative nonsense that makes gaming forums unbearable. What these people fail to understand is that schoolyard brawls are awesome.

well, its EA and Activsion, i kinda expect this from them, but ..... >.> ..... i wanna see this twat, and the guy from Activision that'll say the same thing when what ever shooter EA has comes out go at it in a for reals brawl. two stuffy white guys in fancy suit beating the crap out of each other by swing sets and a slide. preferably with one crying like a small child and running to his manager after he gets beat at the end :D

All I'm hoping for is that Black Ops II changes up the genre. Modern Warfare was stale by the time 3 came out, and almost every developer has copied the model since then. At least Treyarch is trying to do something new with the franchise.

What's EA got coming out this year? Another Madden, another NCAA, another NBA, and another Medal of Honor. Whoop-de-freakin'-doo.

Well I'm glad you already pointed out they are just repeating the same crap they did eariler. Odds are it's just for controversy again which means I already failed.

i think Call of Duty is a tired franchise... just let it go for 5 or 6 years

Does anyone else miss the days when company reps were careful to avoid succumbing to the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory?
All this bloody mudslinging just makes me want to avoid both companies like the plague.

I'm surprised he has time to write tweets. Shouldn't he be working on The Sims 78? Or their yearly cloned sports game? Or trying to purchase good developers to fuck up their products, bring them under the yoke of draconic spyware DRMs and what not?

Although I'm apreciative of them letting Bioware write such a stab at their new overlord with Mass Effect 3.

How come nobody has caught on to that gag yet? EA are the Reapers. The Reapers harvesting all species and turning them into grey goo and corpses to use in their zombie-like hordes is exactly what EA has done to all other developers.

I found it hilarious. Best sarcastic storywriting in years.

*Grabs blankets and popcorn*
This will be entertaining.

But coming from a corporation that releases new football games every year, quite interesting.

As tired as I am of COD games being released every single year since 2007 (since Activision seems to think that not releasing a COD every year will make people forget about the franchise instantly), I'm also tired of this ongoing schoolyard-style fight between EA and Activision.

It's stuff like this that sometimes makes me ashamed to be a gamer because this is the sort of stuff that casts the industry into a bad light.

In my personal opinion however, I would definitley say that both companies are as bad as each other. Both companies release the same kind of games every year over and over again, and just constantly drag down the gaming industry with things such as online passes, overpriced DLC, pointless services that add nothing to the actual game (I'm looking at you, COD Elite), services that have god-awful EULAs (yes, that's you Origin), and of course, not caring about the people who play their games: the gamers.

Stop it EA and Activision! Make better games or go home!

Freakout456:

Lugbzurg:

Wait you're talking about EA here right? They do own both Borne and Popcap, but not 007 (Activision) and Lego games were published by (Eidos, Lucasarts, and later Disney) and all developed by Travelers Tales (Warner Bros).

OT: This is just adorable watching them like schoolyard children "My franchise can beat up your franchise" and such.

They used to make 007 games. I just said that. Titles like NightFire, The World is Not Enough, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, Agent Under Fire, Everything or Nothing, Tomorrow Never Dies, and From Russia with Love.

As for Lego games, yes, they did. I have one from them. It's called "Lego: Island x-Treme Stunts". It was one of the first videogames I ever bought myself (alongside Sonic Heroes).

Freakout456:

Cute, isn't it? It also allows for that wonderful realisation that no matter how bad you do at life, you're probably doing better than this.

Captcha would also like to say something. "teh interwebs".

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here