EA Manager Calls Black Ops Brand "Tired"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Lumber Barber:
Wait, what? When exactly did Activision cuss back at EA?
From what I've seen and heard, Activision was incredibly mature and EA was a spoiled child who thinks his toy is better than the other kids' toys.

This. The brawl last year between MW3 and BF3 was actually a pretty one sided mud-slinging match started by EA. I think Activision may have made one or two responses, but pretty much all the bile that I remember came directly from EA.

Also, I find it hilarious that EA utterly failed to dethrone Call Of Duty with their biggest property, Battlefield 3, and are now expecting Medal of friggin Honour to offer some sort of competition instead. Especially as this year's Medal Of Honour looks like the definition of generic shooter, while Black Ops 2 looks like it may actually be mixing things up a bit and trying new ideas.

I may be wrong, but if Activision didn't utterly stomp on EA last year, I reckon they will this year.

I disagree, as I share xbox's with a CoD Player and have many friends who play both MW3 and BF3, they have come to the conclusion that MW3= Meh. BF3= Meh+1 so > MW3.

Not to mention the hordes of CoD players at the schools that always prefer talking about BF3 than MW3.

And the arrogant, childish bastards of the year award goes to..!

Jaeke:

I disagree, as I share xbox's with a CoD Player and have many friends who play both MW3 and BF3, they have come to the conclusion that MW3= Meh. BF3= Meh+1 so > MW3.

Not to mention the hordes of CoD players at the schools that always prefer talking about BF3 than MW3.

I'm not talking quality, I'm talking purely in terms of sales. After all, that's what matters to both EA and Activision. MW3 thoroughly trounced BF3 when it came to total number of games sold and money made.

Tell me, has Activision ever really responded to statements like these?

Seems it's always EA doing the smack talk while Activion just focuses on promoting and selling it's games.

RaNDM G:

What's EA got coming out this year? Another Madden, another NCAA, another NBA, and another Medal of Honor. Whoop-de-freakin'-doo.

you're right but not quite this is the first time NBA live is coming back its been dead for at least 2 years I think and I NCAA college basketball is also dead as well for 2 years as well.

Graphically? Yes he's 100% right

But talking about the BLOPS brand as being tired? There is only one other Black Ops game.

Remind me, Mr EA PR agent, How many Battlefield related games are there?

RagTagBand:
Graphically? Yes he's 100% right

But talking about the BLOPS brand as being tired? There is only one other Black Ops game.

Remind me, Mr EA PR agent, How many Battlefield related games are there?

Don't go patting yourself on the back just yet. It doesn't matter how many battlefield games there are, it was a jab at Activision's release schedule. The Annual CoD game to be precise.

I dare say you've been whooshed sir. Although to be fair, he really should've said Call of Duty instead of Black Ops... but the 2 terms are practically synonymous by now.

cryogeist:
I dont think EA can say much about CoD considering battlefield is the same thing every time as well.

Thats not true...

I wish it was... Battlefield 3 would have less shitty maps.

This is just an immature argument. Both companies are horrible for milking their respective titles to death.

Comando96:

cryogeist:
I dont think EA can say much about CoD considering battlefield is the same thing every time as well.

Thats not true...

I wish it was... Battlefield 3 would have less shitty maps.

ok then
what exactly has changed in the battlefield series besides new settings and improvements?
or i'm taking your post the wrong way and starting an argument for no reason. :C

cryogeist:
ok then
what exactly has changed in the battlefield series besides new settings and improvements?

They created senario's that try to turn the game into Call of Duty to appeal to fans of Call of Duty... defeating the point of the game... That's only some maps though. The rest of it is fine.

Other than that... not much... and I don't dispute that at all.

What about that remake/sequel of Medal of Honor that nobody wanted? How's that coming along EA?

Remember kids, developers are douchebags like us, just douchebags that happen to be in the vardeo garming industree.

I'll go you one further, CoD as a whole is tired.
Unfortunately, since I haven't touched BF3 in months I can't say I'm on that side anymore either. Oh well, let them both argue into obscurity and let some other new property have it's day. ARMA 3 anyone?

Gorilla Gunk:
Tell me, has Activision ever really responded to statements like these?

Seems it's always EA doing the smack talk while Activion just focuses on promoting and selling it's games.

Actually, I only recall Activision responding once last year with MW3 vs BF3, and then they said that EA was being childish about it and they should support each other instead of bickering like children, to which EA responded; "Yeah? Well you suck!".

...Granted it's not word by word but it's pretty much that.

On topic, I feel Activision is the better company, sure they milk franchises and has overpriced DLC, but EA has day one DLC, force multiplayer into games which wouldn't need it, which brings us to online passes which Activision isn't even using! EA is probably doing more evil things I've forgotten, I remember at one point they were really on trying to take over Rockstar, a hostile takeover of Take Two was rumoured but I never heard what happened to all of that. I wouldn't like to see EA taint the brilliance that is Rockstar... Anyone know what happened?

Anyway, when it comes to shitty behavior...
Activision: 2 (milking, overpriced DLC)
EA: OVER 9000!!!!!! D:

Don Savik:
What about that remake/sequel of Medal of Honor that nobody wanted? How's that coming along EA?

Remember kids, developers are douchebags like us, just douchebags that happen to be in the vardeo garming industree.

Actually that's the best part, it's the publishers (EA and Activision) that's fighting, the ones actually developing the games are really friendly towards each other, with sitdowns when they've complimented each others games ^^

Honestly, EA needs to learn that talking smack means nothing. They need to learn how to actually be competitive if they want to get anywhere. The EA brand isn't some golden idol that people worship. They're not going to take down Call of Duty through childish name-calling and they'll never compete with Steam until they stop believing that everyone will forsake Valve to play Battlefield.

I never thought a company could outdo Bobby Kotick's asshole factor with Activision's moneygrubbing $15 map packs and milking Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk to death, but EA may have done it.

Clashes against companies wouldn't be so bad if it were to influence creativity. Sadly, in this case, it's causing both companies to stagnate the industry even more.

This just in: "Activision Calls Battlefield Brand Tired"

Personally, I think that EA and Activision should just cut the crap and start addressing 'yo momma' jokes at each other.

please Activision PLEASE TAKE A FEW POT SHOTS AT ORIGIN (with a freaking rocket launcher)
PLEASE

Irony, thy name is EA...

Guys, it's all marketing. They'll tussle, we'll laugh, and then they'll announce that each team will answer the call of duty and settle this on the battlefield by releasing a joint FPS venture pitting both games virtually against each other by allowing Battlefielders to play online against Modern Warfarers.

EA/Activision's new game: "Call of Battle: Modern Warfielders."

Newsflash just in the CoD franchise is tired!

Elyxard:
And the arrogant, childish bastards of the year award goes to..!

Careful about awarding that one too early, it's an election year. Obama and Romney have yet to really go at it yet. :)

Fight! Fight! Fight!

*Grabs popcorn*

Also, as much as it pains me, I agree with EA, Black Ops was the worst CoD ever, quite the achievement.

Ugh. More of this BS? Why don't both these companies enter the ring and actually fight it out, just to get it out of their system? At least that might be more entertaining than listening to these jerkoffs throw petty (and lame) insults at each other (or mostly EA doing the throwing).

CAPCHAS: Save Yourself. <-- I couldn't have said it better myself.

cryogeist:

Spitfire:
This just in: "Activision Calls Battlefield Brand Tired"

Personally, I think that EA and Activision should just cut the crap and start addressing 'yo momma' jokes at each other.

Why is everyone bashing on Battlefield, considering that we were promised a true sequel to BF2 a few years ago by DICE themselves and they disgraced the franchise by changing too much!

Compare:
BF2
BF2124 (say what you want, it's totally different in terms of objectives and rules)
BF:BC
BF:BC2
BF3

The only two that are comparable are BC and BC2. The rest suffered a lot more changes from one to another.

Adam Jensen:
What a hypocrite. Activision isn't even all that bad anymore. They found their gold mine and they're sticking to it without ruining everything they touch. EA on the other hand isn't happy until they ruin everything in a 1000 mile radius.

Activision ruined the perfectly good franchise that was Call of Duty.

And let's not forget that they had some bullshit deals to force a DJ Hero to halt development, and tried to prevent EA from publishing Brutal Legend.

They are as evil as EA.

Grey Carter:
Some argue that two of the industry's most notable publishers going at each other in the PR equivalent of a schoolyard brawl sets a poor example to other publishers, embarasses the industry as a whole and encourages the annoying "Us Vs. Them" argumentative nonsense that makes gaming forums unbearable. What these people fail to understand is that schoolyard brawls are awesome.

Ya, they can be, but I'm waiting for the school yard brawl between EA and Activision where one of them doesn't get back up.

NinjaDeathSlap:
... EA and Activision need to shut the fuck up, about everything, forever.

All that needed to be said.

Yawn. Another year of Activision releasing a game in a popular franchise and EA making fun of them while they do exactly the same thing, but less popular. 2010 called, etc.

"Now if I were the unpleasant, sarcastic kind of journalist, I would now point out that someone working for Electronic Arts, a company which invented, refined and perfected the art of milking franchises into horrifying dried-out husks, criticising another company for doing exactly that is akin to Jeffery Dahmer calling someone out on their poor hospitality. A bit cheeky, if you catch my drift."

This, in spades. I have a dream in which the management of both companies are locked into a room with 1 knife and no food for 3 months. It doesn't always play out the same way, but I always wake up smiling :)

Lol did anyone expect anything less? EA based an entire marketing campaign to the CoD hater base back when BF3 was being released when it was going up against MW3.

When your company produces a new Madden every year, I don't think you have any right to speak about "tired" brands.

You know, Activision may churn out the same cookie cutter games (kinda like you do EA), but at least they never destroyed an already existing franchise. They're harmless. In other words, pot call kettle black much?

Activision's rebuttal

"Hello pot my name is Kettle and you are black".

Also, how is the Black Ops brand old considering there's only one BLOPS. Is BLOPS even considered a brand name? If he said COD is getting old then that would make more sense.

I think both EA's CoD rip offs of Medal of Honor and Battlefield speak otherwise to EA's thoughts on the matter (at least from a money making perspective). Personally CoD MoH and Battlefield, I consider blights on Gaming community with their bloated budgets, one note themes (that they all share together, while mocking the other for it) and desperate wish to be movies and not games, makes them wastes of time. Infinity Ward/Activision should just get Michael Bay to turn his military wanking on to their franchises so that we can just get all that nasty gameplay and coherent story telling buisness out of the way that they're so desperate to avoid.

I think personally gaming will look on this era and genre as the same way movie critics look back on blacksploitation or cheap skin flicks of the 50's-70's. An ugly underbelly best left untouched by anyone that takes game development at all seriously. SO EA Activision I think you're both tired and should take the year off, or better yet for everyone, the decade.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here