Bethesda Announces The Elder Scrolls Online

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Skyrim's follow-up will be Cyrodiil's first MMO.

One of the most robust, critically-acclaimed single-player experiences in recent videogame history is officially moving to multiplayer with Bethesda's newly unveiled The Elder Scrolls Online, an MMO currently in development for Mac and PC.

"We have been working hard to create an online world in which players will be able to experience the epic Elder Scrolls universe with their friends, something fans have long said they wanted," said Matt Firor, game director of The Elder Scrolls Online. "It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years. The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made - and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

Like other TES titles, The Elder Scrolls Online will examine a previously unseen era in Tamriel history, set a full 1,000 years prior to the events of Skyrim. Unlike other recent entries in the series, however, the game will span multiple territories across the continent, taking players everywhere from the familiar mountains of Skyrim to the arid badlands of Elsweyr.

Story details are predictably sparse at this point, but Zenimax Online, the studio developing the game, has revealed that players will be attempting to stop/survive Deadric Prince Molag Bal's effort to suck the world into his demonic realm of demons for what is, most likely, some sort of demonic purpose. In between those narrative bits, subscribers will be busy solo-questing, exploring a myriad of dank caves and dungeons with their pals, and participating in a "player-driven PvP conflict that pits three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself."

Pricing model, specific mechanics, and other particulars have yet to be announced, but Zenimax has targeted 2013 for the game's release, meaning it probably won't be too long before we get the rest of the scoop. More information is set to be revealed with June's issue of Game Informer.

Source: Game Informer

Image: BethBlog

All I can say is NICE!!! And that I hope this goes well, if I have a good gaming PC by then I will most certainly consider buying it

Ok so it will be a fairly huge game, tiresome combat and probably loaded with bugs.

I think that alone qualifies it as a TES game.

It was never a question of "if", it was only a matter of "when".

So another company tries to compete with World of Warcraft. I think Extra Credits already explained why this is impossible.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Multi-player TES sounds good, obviously, but online? Seriously...

Edit: Who am I kidding. I'll play this, and it'll be glorious.

And thus Blizzard shat its collective pants. I'd been unable to think of any property that might be able to eclipse WoW in MMO success. I believe that TES is that property as it has alot of the same things going for it that WoW had at the start.

• A rabid fanbase
  • A robust mod community
  • A developer with a long history of high quality games

I'll be watching with interest to see if Bethesda can manufacture the fabled WoW killer the peasantry has spoken of in whispered legends for the last 8 years.

-EDIT-
Since many people seem to think I believe you can mod an MMO allow me to clarify. Modders are likely to become addon authors if the game allows such a thing. Which is why having a robust mod community can work in their favor when launching an MMO.

Sigh.

I don't want to play Elder Scrolls online. I want to play Elder Scrolls BY MYSELF.

*grumpy old man*

This sounds like it could be pretty cool. Im not too interested in it yet but im probably only going to think of it as an Elder Scrolls game lorewise. I will keep an eye on it though, I hope it's F2P.

KeyMaster45:

I'll be watching with interest to see if Bethesda can manufacture the fabled WoW killer the peasantry has spoken of in whispered legends for the last 8 years.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, because while this is a fantasy property beloved by gamers (an excellent seeding ground for an MMO, to be sure), TES Online is up against WoW with 8 years of content upgrades, streamlining, and development under its belt. That is quite literally an impossible hurdle to surmount. If *Star Wars* couldn't kill WoW, what chance does TES have?

WoW will slowly decline on its own over time. At this point, I remain skeptical that any game could ever dethrone it via force - maybe not even Blizzard's own "Titan" project.

Don't care. If it's anything at all like Skyrim, probably won't care when the game's being released, either.

KeyMaster45:
And thus Blizzard shat its collective pants. I'd been unable to think of any property that might be able to eclipse WoW in MMO success. I believe that TES is that property as it has alot of the same things going for it that WoW had at the start.

• A rabid fanbase
  • A robust mod community
  • A developer with a long history of high quality games

Just like TORtanic did, amirite?

Seriously, just stop it with these talks of a WoW killer. WoW has barely been affected at all by any of its supposed killers, and there's zero reason to think this will be any different. If anything, BioWare had a more rabid fanbase (than Bethesda), and the game they made was part of easily one of the biggest media franchises. Take a hint, WoW isn't going down except on its own, and it's doing just that as we speak, slowly bleeding away customers.

Azuaron:
Sigh.

I don't want to play Elder Scrolls online. I want to play Elder Scrolls BY MYSELF.

*grumpy old man*

Then dont play it.
OT:Mike please edit it and say Zenimax online is making this and not bethesda games studio
That means there will still be more single player games.

I am not happy about this. Just..no..not. At all. I am going to rage my neckbeard about this.

...And cue massive disappointment.

See, this has the potential to be amazing. But they're making 'an MMO' and it's going to be horrible as result.

Eh... not so hot on this.

One reason why I love the Elder Scrolls games is because it's one of the last few franchises where I can just say "fuck the world" and play in my own little bubble with no connectivity to anyone.

Not exactly psyched about the prospect of slaying 10 mudcrabs for their genitals either. Ah well, I hope those looking forward to it will enjoy it, at least.

Also, funny image that's relevant:

Mike Kayatta:

Ehem. Reading by the article, that would be Tamriel's first MMO. Cyrodiil is where TES IV: Oblivion took place, while Tamriel is the continent where Cyrodiil, Skyrim, Elsweyr, Morrowind(...) and so on are located.

NLS:

Mike Kayatta:

Ehem. Reading by the article, that would be Tamriel's first MMO. Cyrodiil is where TES IV: Oblivion took place, while Tamriel is the continent where Cyrodiil, Skyrim, Elsweyr, Morrowind(...) and so on are located.

Wait, then wouldn't it be better to call it 'Nirn's first MMO', since Nirn is the planet Tamriel is on?

NLS:

Mike Kayatta:

Granted, but considering that players will choose to join one of three factions to fight over Cyrodiil specifically, I thought the reference was appropriate.

i dunno, kind of a huge property that dates back to the early days, even before old republic, which hasn't made as many games...wouldn't put it off so fast

world of warcraft isn't about to make a comeback any time soon even with the last expansion, so this would be a prime opportunity to take back the spotlight IF they do it right

a lot of things have to happen before that point though, and inexperience will just kill it if they haven't been planning in the right direction

people have just been burnt out by mmos and are moving towards shorter experiences for online play...there will need to be a lot of quality invested for slim returns

Bah. Where on earth is Fallout 4?

I can see this failing quite quickly. TES games are known for being really open and allowing players to do bloody everything "whats that? you want to be a mage who doubles as an assassin and turns into a werewolf for kicks whilst riding and murdering dragons? Well fuck yes here you go." -Skyrim on Skyrim- As soon as you slap the mmo moniker onto a game balance comes into play to make it fair. Also someone raised a good point on this forum not long ago when a discussion about co-op possibly being in TES games came up. You Die. When that little health bar of yours hits Zilch then you have to load up a save. No ghostly angels of get-back-up-you-lazy-dead-guy or futuristic med-vacs to save your life. You die, cold case. Include the 'you die' feature in the mmo to keep TES true and you'll be getting a new character appearing every 10 minutes. Especially if PVP is enabled. Though as soon as some phastasmal resurrect systems comes into play TES online will immediately become World of Scroll-craft with improved graphics and more bugs than a dinky hotel room.#

So no, just cause no.

coderedge:
Bah. Where on earth is Fallout 4?

Probably being developed by bethesda Zenimax online studios is making this one.

While this does sound interesting, and I will keep my eye on it, I doubt I'll be buying it. If I want to play Elder Scrolls MP, I'll grab an MP mod like Titanis and play with my friends I know in a small party.

All this means is that it will take ages for the next proper TES game and even that might not happen cause I can see this being a massive drain on resources that may kill-off the studio(mmo have a habit of doing this).

Also the last time Bethesda tried to make a multiplayer game it was awful. Mabye they could have at least tested the water with a co-op feature for a feature TES game?

I really really hope that this will have no subscription fee.

I am fine with this. I may even play it, but this had better not be a stand in for a SP game. I still love exploring TES all by myself. I'll wait for any details before any decisions are made on whether or not I think this is a bad idea, but I have never felt that the only thing TES is missing is other players. I know it won't enhance my game when I see a player kill another player and then TBag him. Or if I'm trying to accomplish something and someone comes along and kills me for the hell of it. But, like I said, I won't judge till we have more information.

John Funk:

Long answer: No, because while this is a fantasy property beloved by gamers (an excellent seeding ground for an MMO, to be sure), TES Online is up against WoW with 8 years of content upgrades, streamlining, and development under its belt. That is quite literally an impossible hurdle to surmount. If *Star Wars* couldn't kill WoW, what chance does TES have?

WoW will slowly decline on its own over time. At this point, I remain skeptical that any game could ever dethrone it via force - maybe not even Blizzard's own "Titan" project.

Personally I've always thought that WoWs playerbase is so entrenched that even if you released a better game the amount of time people have invested in their characters from WoW would end up keeping them right where they are. You wouldn't just need to be better than WoW you'd have to offer something undeniably superior in almost all areas and even then there is still a portion of WoWs playerbase that would stay again due to their investment.

edit: This is coming from someone whos played WoW for a long time. Interesting games have popped up and some I've even tried a bit of but when it comes down to it I have online friends, tons of in game currency, unique and no longer obtainable items where as for a new game I'd be starting over from scratch so when it comes down to it you'd have to offer me a lot more than a palette/skill name swap to make me switch.

alrekr:

All this means is that it will take ages for the next proper TES game and even that might not happen cause I can see this being a massive drain on resources that may kill-off the studio(mmo have a habit of doing this).

Also the last time Bethesda tried to make a multiplayer game it was awful. Mabye they could have at least tested the water with a co-op feature for a feature TES game?

Zenimax Online Studio... Not Bethesda Softworks. It's in the damn article.

I... I don't know how I feel about this. Its definitely something that I'll be keeping an eye on, but if its just standard MMO model set in TES universe I doubt I'll buy it unless its not subscription based. I hope it brings the innovative change that the MMORPG genre has been needing for awhile now.

Please. Let this game have a first person perspective.

I beg you.

John Funk:

KeyMaster45:

In an attempt to avoid the "will this be a WoW killer?" debate, I'll be brief:
I am still convinced that WoW will suffer the death of a thousand cuts: Heart of the Swarm, Diablo 3, SWTOR, This, it's own fan base losing interest, Pandaria sucking hard, etc.

This looks extremely interesting and I will have to follow this closely to see if my "not sure if want" turns into a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY"

Oh, good.

I was almost afraid after all that legal bullshit surrounding the Fallout license, that Bethesda was going to break out of the insufferably stale mold of fantasy MMO's, and do something fresh with an infinitely more interesting IP.

Good job, Bethsoft.

Why are so many franchises going the MMO route?

I mean apart from the obvious reason

Eh, well it'll probably see some success. Not too big on MMOs myself though, but for people who have been waiting for this, I guess your time has finally come.

Azuaron:
Sigh.

*grumpy old man*

alrekr:

No worries, you two. This game isn't being made by Bethesda; it's being made by Zenimax Online. TES VI will come out just fine in 4-5 years like they normally do, and TES Online can suck as hard as it wants without really affecting anything. Think of it as a the next TES Legend or Adventure game. Hmm... Come to think of it, an updated Battlespire type game would be pretty fun...

Bethesda is going to try to program a functional MMO with balanced PVP? Yeah, that's gonna turn out well.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here