Bethesda Announces The Elder Scrolls Online

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Back when I was into Oblivion, I would have been all over this idea. Now, I'm not so sure.

captcha: mumbo jumbo

No captcha, we're talking about The Elder Scrolls, not Banjo-Kazooie.

I'd play it. Could be fun.

Better than than WoW at any rate.

No thanks. The series is perfectly fine as is with just its single player, no need to turn it into an MMO.

Here is a updated list of things in the game

-Three factions
--Ebonheart Pact: Nords, Dunmer, Argoanion
--Aldmeri Dominion: Altmer, Bosmer, Khajiit
--Daggerfall Covenant: Orcs, Redguards, Bretons

-The Imperials are "badguys" who work with the Tharn family, and Manimmarco. Manimmaro is selling everyone out to Molag ball.

-120 hours to reach level cap

-The game has a hubless quest system

-Werewolf plauge quest chain

-Your Character has had his soul taken by Molag ball, which is why you can come back to life if you "die"

-They use some of GW2's mechanics were your weapons determine some of your skills. There is also doddging, skill combos, and other GW2isy things.

-Enemies can also do combos with eachother, and have all the blocking/parrying/dodging skills you can use.

-Fully voiced NPCs

-A radiant AI system

-Mundus stones that work in the same way as guardian stones in Skyrim

-Crafting, alchemy, and soul-gems are in the game

-Mounts

-Wayshrine fast travel

-Dont expect to get a litany of overpowered Daedric artifacts

-Can join guilds

-Helping guilds unlocks skills

-Cyrodiil is a giant three way PVP zone

-Can become emperor

-Cannot become Vampire/Werwowlf, No player housing, no Player/NPC romance, most likely no dragons

This saounds good and all, but i hope they continue to make the single player games...i'd hate for them just to scrap them all for MMO titles and expansions.

SajuukKhar:
*snip*

Actually they specifically said no radient AI. Also, and while there is a werewolf quest chain, players cannot become werewolves (or vampires)themselves.

The 'helping guilds' bit for the Mages guild is just finding tomes, and for fighters guild it's pretty much the same thing (except you are destroying 'anchors' instead), so the guilds sound pretty shallow from what we know so far.

Oroboros:
Actually they specifically said no radient AI. Also, and while there is a werewolf quest chain, players cannot become werewolves (or vampires)themselves.

I specifically said you cannot become werewolves or vampires, it was literally he last thing on the list.

Also the 16th picture, the 4th to last, that outlines the features specifically says it had a radiant AI system, so that streets aren't deserted in the middle of the nights.

Radiant AI system =/= Radiant quest system.

SajuukKhar:

Oroboros:

I specifically said you cannot become werewolves or vampires, it was literally he last thing on the list.

Also the 16th picture that outlines the features specifically says it had a radiant AI system, so that streets aren't deserted in the middle of the nights.

Radiant AI system =/= Radiant quest system.

The article specifically says that they do not have a radient AI system, I suggest you re-read it.They don't have schedules, react to the environment, or go to sleep-in other words, they will act much like any other MMO npcs. Mia culpa on the werewolf thing, I didn't notice that.

Horrible idea.

Here's the thing, in TES, YOU'RE the hero and that doesn't work in an MMO.
Before someone mentions SW:ToR, please note that it's subscribers are fleeing from the game, it's a nice gimmick, but it doesn't hold long term interest and that's why SW:ToR is dying quickly.

Bethesda has no MMO experience, in fact they have no experience with multiplayer at all, at least not in regards to FPS/TPS.

Bethesda is notoriously slow to fix things.

This is a prime example of a money-grab and I will not support it. Bethesda do not make multiplayer games, they shouldn't start out with an MMO.

Here's what WOULD be wildly popular though; Co-op support for their games or the next TES title.
They could start there and show that they're actually building their way towards multiplayer. That would give people a reason to trust them at least slightly, with an MMO.

I say it now; It's doomed to fail and be forgotten.

Oroboros:

The article specifically says that they do not have a radient AI system, I suggest you re-read it.

Go to the 16th page again, it says this word for word

radiant AI
the nature of the mmo poses significant problems with the concept of NPCs following schedules and reacting to their environment like they do in Oblivion and skyim. So the elder scrolls online uses its own AI system. Nobody wants to be stuck adventuring through desert nighttime streets because their playtime tends to fall latter in the day.

The Elder scrolls Online has its own AI system tweaked from the oblivion and skyrim radiant ai system so people aren't all just asleep at night.

is this the END of single player?

dun dun DUN DUN!!!

If I were an elder scrolls fan Id be rightly pissed....now if they were to announce a mass effect MMO

Smilomaniac:

Here's the thing, in TES, YOU'RE the hero and that doesn't work in an MMO.
Before someone mentions SW:ToR, please note that it's subscribers are fleeing from the game, it's a nice gimmick, but it doesn't hold long term interest and that's why SW:ToR is dying quickly.

I highly doubt people are leaving SWTOR just because they "don't feel that the aproach to charachtersation is working for them"

more likley other reasons...and people look into MMO's then lose interest

who wants to be stuck in the same game for years on end anyway?

Vault101:
is this the END of single player?

since it is being made by the same company that does the SP games.............. no it isnt.

Basically Skyrim, but with other people, yes?

I'll wait for the fallout MMO.

SajuukKhar:

Oroboros:

The article specifically says that they do not have a radient AI system, I suggest you re-read it.

Go to the 16th page again, it says this word for word

radiant AI
the nature of the mmo poses significant problems with the concept of NPCs following schedules and reacting to their environment like they do in Oblivion and skyim. So the elder scrolls online uses its own AI system. Nobody wants to be stuck adventuring through desert nighttime streets because their playtime tends to fall latter in the day.

The Elder scrolls Online has its own AI system tweaked from the oblivion and skyrim radiant ai system so people aren't all just asleep at night.

Everything they say there indicates a removal of AI complexity. They don't take walks, they don't sleep, and don't eat. That's not radient ai, that's standing in one place and waiting for PCs to come up and talk to you to give out quests. The new AI is probably limited to npc guards, or having npcs wave at you as you walk past or something small like that.

Oroboros:

Everything they say there indicates a removal of AI complexity. They don't take walks, they don't sleep, and don't eat. That's not radient ai, that's standing in one place and waiting for PCs to come up and talk to you to give out quests. The new AI is probably limited to npc guards, or having npcs wave at you as you walk past or something small like that.

WTF are you talking about?

it was never implied they just stand there doing nothing, only that the AI system wont make everyone asleep at the same time.

Huh, three way faction PvP, nice.

Sadly it won't ever be done in the way that would make it perfect (Pure sandbox) but that's understandable. Woohoo, Elder Scrolls - WoW edition!

SajuukKhar:

Oroboros:

WTF are you talking about?

it was never implied they just stand there doing nothing, only that the AI system wont make everyone asleep at the same time.

It says that having NPCs having scedules and reacting to the environment was too taxing, so they were using a different AI system that presumably removed such things, hence why npcs don't sleep. It's right there in your own quote. Npc AI in the MMO is much more limited then in skyrim or oblivion. Notice that the heading of the page is "The Scroll's Touchstones: What's in, what's out" what's 'out' is radient AI.

Vault101:

I highly doubt people are leaving SWTOR just because they "don't feel that the aproach to charachtersation is working for them"

more likley other reasons...and people look into MMO's then lose interest

who wants to be stuck in the same game for years on end anyway?

Please understand what you're replying to. I said the game dies out because it has no long term interest. The story is part of that, you become the badass hero/villain of the universe and from there...? Nothing. That's not solid MMO investment.

My point stands.

1,000 years before Skyrim would put the game at the end of the first era, right? During the war between Morrowind and the Empire? I wonder who the third playable faction will be?

Ugh... My main in any Elder Scrolls has usually been Khajiit, and if I want to play the game I get stuck with not only 1, but 2 elf races! Ugh... I dont' know what it is, but I hate... HATE, elves in Fantasy. Always so bloody perfect and "beautiful" to a point where it makes me want to vomit. It's weird that I harp on that classical Fantasy race, when I love Dwarves. They are funny, full of flaws, and generally more enjoyable as a race then... Elves... Stems from World of Warcraft I guess, both factions have elves, and both races make me want to strangle puppies.

Xiado:
1,000 years before Skyrim would put the game at the end of the first era, right? During the war between Morrowind and the Empire? I wonder who the third playable faction will be?

no it would put it in the middle of the second era.

Oroboros:

It says that having NPCs having scedules and reacting to the environment was too taxing, so they were using a different AI system that presumably removed such things, hence why npcs don't sleep. It's right there in your own quote. Npc AI in the MMO is much more limited then in skyrim or oblivion. Notice that the heading of the page is "The Scroll's Touchstones: What's in, what's out" what's 'out' is radient AI.

that doesnt mean they just stand there.

guild Wars 2 has npcs that walk around and do things.

I am not saying they have like 20 different dynamic patterns just that they dont stand still as you imply.

SajuukKhar:

Xiado:

no it would put it in the middle of the second era.

Oroboros:

that doesnt mean they just stand there.

guild Wars 2 has npcs that walk around and do things.

I am not saying they have like 20 different dynamic patterns just that they dont stand still as you imply.

Possibly, possibly not. It's not necessarily an all-or-nothing situation either. What we do know is that they will not be using radiant AI in the MMO, and will instead be using a more primitive AI.

I'd love for this to release and not die within months. But it will, because WoW isn't dead. And it can't be killed. Devs need to wait for WoW to die of natural causes before attempting to compete.

EDIT: I'm not even going to correct that last sentence because, frankly, I don't deserve the opportunity.

I'm just going to point out I know it's wrong.

I have no doubt it will take at least 3 or 4 patches to make it a decent game. This is TES we are talking about.

Well if it ever looked like a goo time to go after WoW, it's now. Pandas? Not that looking like a good time means it is a good idea.

The concept sounds cool, but I would rather have another regular entry to the series.
EDIT: Wait, 1000 years?

Not interested, just like how I found TOR boring, this would no doubt be similar.

I have super duper mixed feelings on this.

For one, they're planning on putting all of Tamriel into this game while keeping up with a 2013 release date? Seems a little rushed to me.

The combat in the Elder Scrolls games were definitely not designed for PVP. So unless they're planning on doing a dice roll system kinda like WoW, which is pretty shitty in general, how is this gonna work?

The amount of changes that are gonna have to be implemented just make me feel like this is not gonna be a Elder Scrolls game.

SajuukKhar:
*The noise scissors make*

Not that I don't trust every word people say on the internet or anything but can we get a source?

Well I'll give em the benefit of a doubt.
Let's see what they can bring to the table.

Enjoying Tera atm. Quite different from the usually MMO crowd. Combat is way more engaging.

This may be one of the best things to happen to gamers in several years. :')

I can't wait to be able to visit all of the provinces that haven't yet been seen in the games, like Blackmarsh and Elsweyr. Obviously it will have to do away with some of the long-standing elements of Elder Scrolls/Fallout 3 gameplay, i.e. menus that pause the game and such, and having to do everything in real time is going to be INTENSE...

I can't say how excited I am.

Ickorus:

SajuukKhar:
*The noise scissors make*

Not that I don't trust every word people say on the internet or anything but can we get a source?

the game informer mag was scanned and leaked.

Im not gonna post the gallery here becase I dont know htis forums rules on scanned content

oh. another MMO in an already over-saturated market based on a game that has absolutely nothing to do with multiplayer or online. im so fucking happy i could... fall asleep...

i am really, really, really, really.... really sick of WoW clones, MMOs in general, and companies incessantly turning single-player franchises into the exact opposite of everything that made them popular in the first place. i dont care if this game gives you a blowjob after every level you gain, i could not be less interested. besides, im sure it would be cheaper to routinely go to a hooker to get blowjobs than it would be to drudge through ANOTHER grind-fest MMO for months.

think about that kids. you could be getting routine blowjobs instead of rotting away in front of a computer collecting 12 bear-asses and not be any poorer for it. this is how low gaming culture has sunk...

Frotality:
oh. another MMO in an already over-saturated market based on a game that has absolutely nothing to do with multiplayer or online. im so fucking happy i could... fall asleep...

i am really, really, really, really.... really sick of WoW clones, MMOs in general, and companies incessantly turning single-player franchises into the exact opposite of everything that made them popular in the first place. i dont care if this game gives you a blowjob after every level you gain, i could not be less interested. besides, im sure it would be cheaper to routinely go to a hooker to get blowjobs than it would be to drudge through ANOTHER grind-fest MMO for months.

think about that kids. you could be getting routine blowjobs instead of rotting away in front of a computer collecting 12 bear-asses and not be any poorer for it. this is how low gaming culture has sunk...

The game is, if anything, a GW2 clone more then a WoW clone.

It seems like it is stuck somewhere in the middle but leaning ever so slightly in the side of GW2.

Just like SWTOR, this will be a game that I've never asked for but will probably end up checking out.

At this time I can only hope they don't go the subscription model route, as that may prevent me from playing it altogether.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here