Nintendo Says You're Playing Kid Icarus: Uprising Wrong

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Nintendo Says You're Playing Kid Icarus: Uprising Wrong

Game's creator thinks players should just relax.

Even though the the game has received generally positive reviews, a common complaint about Kid Icarus: Uprising has been the frustrating control scheme, which requires players to use the 3DS' circle pad to move and the stylus to aim. However, in a recent interview with IGN, Masahiro Sakurai, the game's creator, thinks that players who are frustrated might not be playing it the right way.

Standing by Kid Icarus' control scheme, Sakurai said his team pushed the 3DS to its limits when developing the game, and that including an option for the Circle Pad Pro was a technical impossibility. Sakurai also stated that offering multiple control schemes would more than likely unbalance its' multiplayer, as the 3DS' stylus allows players to aim more quickly than using a circle pad.

"If a player used to touch screen-based aiming played against someone used to right-analog control, the first player would probably dominate. The speed is on a whole different level."

As for players who are angry at the controls or feeling they've developed carpal tunnel playing Kid Icarus, Sakruai recommended they try approaching the game from a different angle.

"If there are players who say that it makes their hand tired, that's because you're applying too much force," explained Sakurai. "Try to relax and work on building a rhythm to your control. Place the pen in the middle of the touch screen; when you're flicking it, take the pen off the screen as you're sweeping with it, and stop right there. That's the basic idea."

Source: IGN

Is this the biggest dev yet to pull the "You're playing it wrong" line?

That's right, players. The problem isn't with my control scheme, it is with your playstyle. Seriously, just admit that you made a less than optimal control setup.

This is relevant:

If we're not playing properly, it's your own damn fault, Sakurai-san.

I would love to hear Yatzee his reply to Masahiro Sakurai statement, not in a reply video but a face to face open statement with a translator of course.

Pro-tip: If you have to tell people they're "playing it wrong", you probably fucked up somewhere.

And +1 internet to the Jimquisition linker, so very relevant.

I wonder what Yahtzee makes of this article...

Also does this remind anyone else of Apple's "the phones are fine, you're just holding it wrong" thing?

When you have to give experienced gamers tips on how to hold the controller for your control scheme, it may be time to rethink your ego.

I realize there's still a good chunk of players who don't mind the scheme. Judging by descriptions, it controls similarly to Metroid Prime: Hunters, which I didn't have any problems with. That said, with this much criticism, at the very least admit that you may have fucked up, instead of telling gamers that they're doing it wrong.

WMDogma:
"If a player used to touch screen-based aiming played against someone used to right-analog control, the first player would probably dominate. The speed is on a whole different level."

Smart man, that's exacly why hugely successful PvP focused games like SC 2 don't allow you to click to produce units or issue specific orders, or why SF IV kicks you out if it detects you are playing with anything but a joystick.

We need to keep the pro Kid Icaruns PvP scene balanced people.

Ahh yes of course! All this time and I've been using my DS/3DS completely wrong! Instead of playing all my games with pent up rage and sheer frustration I should just... relax?

Could you BE any more patronising? If gamers can't pick up a game and intuitively play it on a system they have been using already for years (The 3DS is no different than the DS control-wise) then that is a problem with YOUR game, mister Nintendo.

You released a STAND with this game for heavens sake! That's an admission of guilt right there.

If your HANDHELD console game comes with a stand to play the game then the Developer is doing it wrong.

...wow, that was not a smart thing to say honestly. If you have to go out and tell people they're playing your game "wrong" maybe he should sit down and think: "What if I am wrong?"

Might come up with some solutions which can be applied other places then.

Even though it's much easier and better to change aim mode to XYAB buttons >.>

Pandora92:
I wonder what Yahtzee makes of this article...

Also does this remind anyone else of Apple's "the phones are fine, you're just holding it wrong" thing?

God... I barely remember that...

Though I think there is something to this: If your first thought of a criticism of your work is because the other person is doing it wrong, you should first look to see if it isnt you thats doing it wrong.

Woah, hold on! Nintendo is not saying "You're playing it wrong." Nowhere in the article does Nintendo say anything along those lines. It's recommending a different style of play, not outright attacking players' choices. While the title of this article isn't an outright lie (although by writing 'Nintendo says', the author might as well be putting words into the company's mouth), there is no denying that the author of this article is writing this news in a deceptive, borderline sensationalist manner.

If you have to explain the best way to control the game than your game has bad controls by default. I like the game enough but I can't defend the control scheme since I switched it as soon as I figured out how to. Sorry Sakurai-san...maybe you should have stuck to a 2D-platformer? Nintendo seems to be going back to them after all.

Let us see, people complain about a general well reviewed games controls. So you can either
A: Not say anything and just tinker with the controls in any sequels.

You could also go with
B: Just ignore the complaints and go about you way with whatever you plan on doing next.

Or you can do
C: Yell back at the complainers saying they are at fault, throwing more fuel to the fire.

Why do a lot developers somehow arrive to some form of C this day and age. Never choose C, at the very least just ignore it when you can't change the game after release.

I've had no problem with DS or 3DS games that use the stylus in one hand and the main directional control with the other.

Metroid Prime Hunters was fine for me, so was Kid Icarus.

I dont hate the controls, my hand doesn't want to fall off, I dont scream in pain or anything like that.

The stand is nice since when I play portable games at home I do so at a table anyway.

If I don't like the controls of a game after trying them, I flat out wont play the game, even if its one I WANTED to enjoy. The DS Zelda games are a prime example.

I really didn't have a problem with Kid Icarus' controls.

this is exactly why the japanese games industry is having troubles. japan has a very maker-consumer business culture with a big fat wall between them, and japanese developers just don't know how to use criticism, hell they don't know how to RECEIVE criticism.

I guess it was just lost in translation?

Zachary Amaranth:

Pretty sure Apple's bigger than Nintendo.

itchcrotch:
this is exactly why the japanese games industry is having troubles. japan has a very maker-consumer business culture with a big fat wall between them, and japanese developers just don't know how to use criticism, hell they don't know how to RECEIVE criticism.

To be fair, western developers don't know how to receive criticism either. Remember Cliff Bleszinski crying about 8/10 reviews for GeoW 3? Or Jonathan Blow complaining about perfect scores for Braid because the reviewer didn't love the game for "the right reasons"? That shit's gotta be worse.

Oh fuck off Nintendo. As a person who didn't spend their childhood having your products relentlessly burned into my nostalgia centre i don't feel any real emotinal attachment to Nintendo like some people do. This makes them seem to me like "That company of overrated douchebags" that everyone keeps telling me to love unconditionally.

Here's the thing nintendo; if your control scheme needs explaining and excusing over and over again it's proabaly bad. Good controls, actual good control schemes, don't need explaining or excusing. People can pick hem up and use them easily. Its a portable game that was shipped with a stand, A fucking STAND, and you're going to tell me im playing it wrong?

Zachary Amaranth:

I think so. This is sort of the developer equivalent of "NO YOU" in response to criticism, isn't it?

WMDogma:
Game's creator thinks players should just relax.

I can't, my hand's too sore.

WMDogma:
Sakurai also stated that offering multiple control schemes would more than likely unbalance its' multiplayer, as the 3DS' stylus allows players to aim more quickly than using a circle pad.

Or alternately everyone switches over to the other scheme en masse (probably what would've happened) and we're all happy. Or some people are willing to trade the performance for comfort because they don't want to be sore after playing a game. That is the most BS excuse I've ever heard. Why have 3D? People with one eye will be at a disadvantage. Why have a screen less than 18 inches? People with poor vision will be at a disadvantage.

Oh, wait, I know one group at a disadvantage: LEFTIES. Retro Gamer's praise-packed review stopped for a paragraph to specifically complain about the controls, especially how they were even worse for people who are left-handed, and questioning why they weren't more configurable.

So not only is their comment on balance a crock, the built-in scheme unbalances the game for 10% of the population.

It wasn't a problem in Metroid Prime: Hunters. Why is it suddenly a problem now?

P.S. Thanks

Wow.

I wasn't expecting the reaction to be so.....yeah.

I can tell you it's true that many people with discomfort are most likely using too much force, and we shouldn't freak out because they tell us that. It's easy to tense up while typing or playing the guitar or drums, but we don't take offense when Mavis Beacon tells us how to properly type....

On the other hand, the fact that it is so easy for your hand to tense up while playing is a telling fact.

I'm not sure I exactly disagree with anything Sakurai's quoted as saying here.

Dude, you had to include a stand for the gameboy to sit on so the user can actually use your jacked up control scheme. You fucked up, admit it and resolve to do better next time. Don't come to us and say we're playing it wrong, that only reinforces the fact that you fucked up.

Electrogecko:
Wow.

I can tell you it's true that many people with discomfort are most likely using too much force, and we shouldn't freak out because they tell us that. It's easy to tense up while typing or playing the guitar or drums, but we don't take offense when Mavis Beacon tells us how to properly type....

As Jim said, we have been playing games for 20-30 years. We KNOW how to play a game by now. When we are learning to type, we don't know how. You don't take typing lessons after you learn it.

Remind me, who were the last people to do that stuff? I can't remember, they either said "you're playing it wrong!" or "you just suck at it". Either way, and whoever it was, it was physically painful to read, just as this is.

Kakulukia:
This is relevant:

If we're not playing properly, it's your own damn fault, Sakurai-san.

Wow, this sums it up quite nicely!

OT: Someone should really give this dev a good smack for being such an idiot.

Covarr:
It wasn't a problem in Metroid Prime: Hunters for me. Why is it suddenly a problem now?

P.S. Thanks

Fixed that for ya. I see from your PS that you saw it coming too, you're welcome.

Doclector:
Remind me, who were the last people to do that stuff? I can't remember, they either said "you're playing it wrong!" or "you just suck at it". Either way, and whoever it was, it was physically painful to read, just as this is.

Was it Nintendo in reference to Skyward Sword?

Crono1973:

Doclector:

Was it Nintendo in reference to Skyward Sword?

Hmm. I don't remember it being that...was it duke nukem forever? I coulda sworn it was more recent, though...

I love the game but it really needs a mouse and keyboard.

I am a Nintendo fan, but that was just fucked up. Those controls are horrible. They shouldn't have made a handheld game that requires you to sit in a stationary place to play it. I love the excuse. I have to say, he also hurts the overall image of the 3DS by saying they pushed it to the limits. Someone needs to get a lesson what is good and bad PR. I don't know why it's easier to make all of these excuses that to say we fucked up. It looks better if you admit you're wrong than to defend an indefensible position.

Electrogecko:
Wow.

On the other hand, the fact that it is so easy for your hand to tense up while playing is a telling fact.

I'm not sure I exactly disagree with anything Sakurai's quoted as saying here.

I don't think people are freaking out about their advice, I think they are freaking out that the controls are so horrendous and it is then put on the players. We are mad that we are all wrong because he doesn't want to admit that maybe they could have done a better job. I'm over it personally. I get it, they ripped me off. It's just a damn shame because the game was actually good, but the controls make me not want to play it. I even have several third party controller type holders and it helps a little, but it doesn't make up for the fact that it wouldn't have been impossible for them to make a couple of different control schemes. Really, they did the controls scheme that would work with the circle pad pro, but they refuse to use the circle pad for it. There is an option to use the 4 face buttons to move the reticle (my browser won't ever acknowledge that is a word), yet it was impossible for them to use the circle pad pro for it... it just defies reason how much guys like this will duck responsibility for something as stupid as this.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here