Black Ops II Day 1 Preorders Already Beating MW3's

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Black Ops II Day 1 Preorders Already Beating MW3's

Black Ops II has ten times more first-day preorders than Black Ops I.

Every year, the annual Call of Duty outperforms its predecessors and every year, gamers, journalists and analysts alike wonder if the franchise's success has peaked. When will the yearly Call of Duty sell fewer games than the one that came a year before?

If we're going by preorders, it won't be this year. When the recently-revealed Call of Duty: Black Ops II went up for order on Amazon.com, it chalked up a whopping ten times more preorders in a single day than the first-day preorders of 2010's Call of Duty: Black Ops. Those are some big numbers, but what's arguably more impressive is that Black Ops II also beat first-day preorders of Modern Warfare 3 by about 30%.

Given that Modern Warfare 3 currently holds the record for Amazon's most preordered game, and in fact made it into the retail giant's top 20 preorders of all time - including other things like books and movies - this is a pretty incredible showing for Treyarch's latest turn at the helm.

Of course, there's a lot of time between now and the November 13, 2012 release date, and it's possible that Black Ops II preorders and interest might lessen over time. It still could very well be the game that breaks Call of Duty's upward climb, but judging by this I wouldn't be betting on that.

Check out what's new in Black Ops II in our big summation post.

Might be the future aspect which sets this apart from the previous CODs and so is racking up the pre-orders, regardless I'll certainly be keeping my eye on this one though a purchase isn't assured yet as I got bored in parts of MW3.

i just can't understand it. how is it possible for a series to be this successful year after year when the game is in a gameplay viewpoint exactly the same. i will say that the trailer was interesting and that the SP looks promising (for a cod game), but we all know that most of those players are pre-ordering the game for the Multiplayer. they don't even have to now if it will be any good of new, if the name is call of duty, they buy it. they are not even demanding/asking for new changes... i just don't get it.

I wonder if it was the drones out of Frontlines: Fuels of war, the vehicles out of the Command and Conquer: Tiberium series, the horse scene that just can't stop reminding me of Uncharted 3, the explosion in Las Vegas that brings back memories of Rainbow Six Vegas or the fact that the new hero is from Jersey shore that got them all these preorders.

Apparently they've already released the zombie mode.

blackdwarf:
i just can't understand it. how is it possible for a series to be this successful year after year when the game is in a gameplay viewpoint exactly the same. i will say that the trailer was interesting and that the SP looks promising (for a cod game), but we all know that most of those players are pre-ordering the game for the Multiplayer. they don't even have to now if it will be any good of new, if the name is call of duty, they buy it. they are not even demanding/asking for new changes... i just don't get it.

Marketing and franchise loyalty, theyre fairly powerful forces.

DVS BSTrD:

You made me chuckle.

blackdwarf:

We enjoy the multiplayer. Haven't preordered yet, but will soon.

blackdwarf:

Have you ever stopped to ponder whether this is precisely why so many people buy it? They enjoy the gameplay?

blackdwarf:

Im going to explain it. In detail. So bare with me.

Ok there are three main factors to consider when puzzling out exactly WHY Call of Duty is so sucessful and most of it is FAR removed from the actual quality of the game;

The most important factor to remember is WHO is buying this game?; Call of Duty is bought by the most mass market of gaming demographics. This is a groos generalization i know but in pure numbers terms it tends to be one of the big yearly game purchases for more 'casual' HD gamers. Why is this so important? Well for many of these gamers CoD will be one of the only games they buy this year. They won't be comparing it to many other games and don't care that it dosen't change much becuase they haven't played many shooters since last year. They can just pick it up and play it again, they don't see the lack of progress. In a more general sense;

People don't like change, people like the familiar; People who are not that into gaming don't want to bother learning new mechanics or new systems of working for a game. Its a simple fact that people like things familiar and since they aren't exactly playing a lot of other games and noticing and learning new mechanics it would seem like an unwelcome jump to them. They don't see the progress elsewhere gaming enthusiasts do.

The Sports Game Factor; this is very linked to the pervious point but its very important to see and remember that the demogrphic is very similar between these genres. I know many people who say "All i buy is CoD and FIFA (or madden if you are american)". They don't mind paying for a yearly roster update. Many of these people won't even touch single player, their not missing out much but i digress, and will just use it like a competative sports title. They will get a yearly roster update of guns and maps and be happy with that. They don't care if its 55 (that over $80 folks).

Pop Culture Icon, Well known celebrity; Call of Duty is VERY high profile. The news reports on it. People talk about it outside of ganing circles. Its just kind of there. It was the same with the transformers movies. People don't care if its good or not, the first battle is actually HEARING about it. Call of Duty has the MASSIVE advantage of being in the public conciousness. People it because they have heard of it. Its like Coca-Cola or any other omipresent brand.

Shared Experience and Peer Groups; Lets face it. Getting to talk about gaming can be hard. Not everyone shares your interest. So when everyone goes ga-ga for CoD its nice to be able to play with a large amount of friends. Even gamers who don't like the games will buy them not to be left out/share gaming with friends. People feel left out without CoD, "its just that thing everyone buys i guess"

Most of these factors are self Sustaining

They re-enforce eachother ad make it easy to succeed whilst doing nothing and being shite. [b]Call of Duty is an almost unique case;[b] CoD has reached a critical mass where it can get away with htings no other game could because it is No.1 in the market. People won't put up with this shit in large amounts. Its kind of like World of Warcraft; Everyone wants to be WoW but there is one problem. WoW is already there. Call of Duty can get away with this as long as it can be the exception to the rules.

DVS BSTrD:

What does that mean, really cause thats the only thing I care about In BLOP's II... CYBER PUNKED ZOMBIES, OH YEAH!!!

OT: I'm really not surprised here, COD is a snowball, just gathering momentum and more snow. I feel like its appropriate to use the neutron star collapsing under its own weight metaphor here, but I think that will be around the same time that happens to our sun.

The amount of a money factory this series is, is retarded, the last really good one was cod 4, the rest are just have bombastic single player games that have no sense of pacing and the multi is an over priced map pack.

Treyarch is changing the single player mode adding choices and one off missions. New multiplyaer modes that reflect MLG crowd and a new zombies mode.

Worgen:
The amount of a money factory this series is, is retarded, the last really good one was cod 4, the rest are just have bombastic single player games that have no sense of pacing and the multi is an over priced map pack.

I've got about 5 days play time on MW3 and I'm still ranked something like 1.2million out of ~15 million. That would suggest there's over a million players who have clocked at least 120hrs on multiplayer alone. A lot of people have 30-40days worth of playtime just in a 5 month period. How many single, or even multiplayer games give that many people that much decent gameplay time? That's not even including ~8hrs per playthrough of the campaign and countless more in spec-ops.

I know I've spent $100 on a game and got sick of it literally 20 minutes in (multiple times.) I think people just want to get there money's worth.

I think if the next COD is MW4 or takes place in WW2 then the sales will start to drop. OT:I'm not surprised one bit.

Scrumpmonkey:

Snipper Attack.

Pretty much this. At the end of the day though I sort of have respect for the COD franchise not because it tries to be artsy or anything but because it doesn't try to hide what it is. A franchise specifically to suck as much money out of the games industry and its customers as possible, sort of like a virsu really.

Given Black-Ops's success, Zombies's popularity, and Modern Warfare 3's overall disappointment, it isn't surprising why people are putting so much faith in Treyarch to deliver the best CoD experience to date.

And, tbh, I'm all open for a futuristic Cold War setting, so count me as part of the crowd caught into the hype.

oh my god, why am i not surprised at all?

i think we all know that the SP is the least cared about part of COD and the MP is the one which is always looked at.
lets face it, the SP is crap wile the MP is actually fun more or less. i have to admit, it does sound all interesting and some of the minor changes like these for example:

Removed

No MOAB or Nuke
No last stand
No death streaks
No flame thrower attachment

more here; http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/29/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-rumoured-multiplayer-and-release-date-details-hit-official-forums/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

could make the MP enjoyable.

Well, Mr. Miracle of Sound, they finally got rid of Second Chance.

OT: To quote from the GI article on the campaign "the changes Treyarch is making to the campaign structure are among the most significant yet. Fans have been calling for the series to make a substantial step forward for several installments now, and all signs point to it happening in this fall's release."

See, believe it or not, the people at Treyarch and Infinity Ward aren't all robots and corporate puppets, some of them actually want to make something good. Maybe this time they'll be able to.

I can't even really blame Activision anymore. If you had the chance to soak up millions of dollars by releasing the same game every year with only minor changes wouldn't you?

I don't get what the problem is? For years I spent fifteen bucks a month on Wow as did many of you i'm sure. Yet somehow that's not considered obscene? 180 usd for a year's worth of Wow. those same people buying CoD games will play it for roughly the same amount of time, for a third of the cost.

So, who's really the dipshit here?

Everyone who already pre ordered is a mindless sheep Beehhhh.
The only good thing is that this could maybe cause other games to use this setting.

rolfwesselius:
The only good thing is that this could maybe cause other games to use this setting.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

What the frickin' HELL, how can people still be BUYING the SAME DAMN garbage? Seriously, the ONLY way this is possible is if EA has some sort of stupidity radiating device they turn on whenever they need to release another Call of Duty game, or there are more Dude-Bros out there than we previously imagined, and they are singlehandedly keeping this franchise afloat with their Dudical Bro-ness.

Syzygy23:
What the frickin' HELL, how can people still be BUYING the SAME DAMN garbage? Seriously, the ONLY way this is possible is if EA has some sort of stupidity radiating device they turn on whenever they need to release another Call of Duty game, or there are more Dude-Bros out there than we previously imagined, and they are singlehandedly keeping this franchise afloat with their Dudical Bro-ness.

I like how MMO players have been doing this for years for about three times the cost, but now that it's CoD all of a sudden, the community here is OUTRAGED!

You know, if I didn't know any better, i'd say you're all haters.

I'm still tentative for this game, but Black Ops was far and away the best Call of Duty in my opinion(yes, better than MW1). In terms of perfecting balance, I felt it was a hell of a lot better than everything else that's come out. The removal of stopping power/juggernaut made it so much easier to play different styles. On the PC, I had hours of fun (FAR more than with battlefield 3 the next year), and I can safely say it blew MW3 out of the warfare. If Treyarch ensure that it's more like Black Ops than Modern Warfare in terms of multiplayer pacing and map design, they have my money.
Also, to everyone saying that I'm a mindless gamer for deciding to buy Call of Duty, you do NOT get the right to insult me for enjoying something different to you. It's funny, because I suspect many of you were bullied sometime throughout your lifetime, and now you go and do the exact same thing by persecuting people for liking something different from the hardcore/hipster gamer hivemind.

Devoneaux:

rolfwesselius:

Im not only mindless sheep would re buy the same new map pack delivery system every fucking year.

Devoneaux:

Syzygy23:

I like how MMO players have been doing this for years for about three times the cost, but now that it's CoD all of a sudden, the community here is OUTRAGED!

Oh don't get me started on MMO's.

"Hey guys! How about you give 40+ USD for this game and then pay me infinte money to keep playing it! How fantastic for EVERYONE!"

rolfwesselius:

Devoneaux:

rolfwesselius:

Im not only mindless sheep would re buy the same new map pack delivery system every fucking year.

Sortof like how mindless sheep would only buy the same nintendo games over and over again every year or how MMO players would be willing to pay 180 dollars annually for the same exact game are all mindless sheep, or how-

Look your a sheep, i'm a sheep, we're all sheep, so don't talk down to others like you're king of the flock, alright?

Syzygy23:

Or you know. People just like the games.

Bro you are making yourself look like a douche with posts like that.

totally heterosexual:

Syzygy23:

Or you know. People just like the games.

Bro you are making yourself look like a douche with posts like that.

Actually he's making himself look like a self gratifying hipster. So basically the same thing but with a few subtle differences.

Phlakes:

OT: To quote from the GI article on the campaign "the changes Treyarch is making to the campaign structure are among the most significant yet. Fans have been calling for the series to make a substantial step forward for several installments now, and all signs point to it happening in this fall's release."

See, believe it or not, the people at Treyarch and Infinity Ward aren't all robots and corporate puppets, some of them actually want to make something good. Maybe this time they'll be able to.

See, we usually call those "patches" in the real gaming community.

"significant changes" occur in expansions that any company worth its salt gives out for free.

DaHero:

Phlakes:

See, we usually call those "patches" in the real gaming community.

"significant changes" occur in expansions that any company worth its salt gives out for free.

Or add 60 dollars worth of content and sell it for 20 dollars as an expandalone.

Syzygy23:

Devoneaux:

Syzygy23:

"Hey guys! How about you give 40+ USD for this game and then pay me infinte money to keep playing it! How fantastic for EVERYONE!"

Hey, sometimes they actually add new content, as in a new area to do all the exact same content as before.

But now, in WoW, you have the COMPLETELY SERIOUS Mists of Pandaria expansion, including a mission where you lob grenades, made from freshly laid shit, at angry fishpeople to defend a group of monkeys, who's dialogue makes Jar Jar Binks's dialogue look like it was written by Shakespeare by comparison.

Buretsu:

Syzygy23:

Devoneaux:

Hey, sometimes they actually add new content, as in a new area to do all the exact same content as before.

But now, in WoW, you have the COMPLETELY SERIOUS Mists of Pandaria expansion, including a mission where you lob grenades, made from freshly laid shit, at angry fishpeople to defend a group of monkeys, who's dialogue makes Jar Jar Binks's dialogue look like it was written by Shakespeare by comparison.

Struggling to see how that's an improvement. :P

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or