Miyamoto Thinks PS Vita Needs More Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

What I like about this is that Miyamoto shows no disrespect towards Sony. I don't know if this has anything to do with the culture of Japan or what, but I think this is how competitive business rivals should treat each other, at least publicly anyway. Certain other companies whom shall remain unnamed should take note. As for me, I'm just pleased that there's at least one person in the industry that is still worth believing in.

xPixelatedx:
The problem isn't that the vita needs more games, it's that Sony needs some more IPs.

The 3DS didn't have many or any games when it came out, but people bought it eventually. It slowly picked up as more good games came out, good games everyone knew were coming. Can you say that for the Vita? If I buy a vita am I guaranteed at least some good first party games? Not really, and that was the problem with the PSP to. The PSP also had better specs then the DS, which didn't help it... not one bit. This is just history repeating itself, like I said it would before either of these systems came out. Sony just doesn't make games like they used to, and Nintendo - even though getting crappy in the hardware department - still delivers the goods.

I don't know what happened to all those people who made Sony games during the PS1 and PS2 era, but damn do we need those people back because they knew what was fun and what wasn't.

Simple they either got laid off, got their IP rights bought by someone else, or stopped working with Sony too much. Games like Spyro got bought by companies like Activision who then didn't do much with it. Clover who made games like Okami and God Hand was formed by Capcom and was meant to be basically an all star team with tons of talent in it who Capcom then disbanded later. They reformed themselves as Platinum Games though and they seem to have a good relationship with Sega so not all was lost (save Shinji Mikami who left a while ago on good terms).

Then the main problems were basically people went to Sony because Nintendo had recently screwed over it's 3rd parties with the Nintendo 64 and caused a lot of people to leave them and move to Sony who treated them far better. Nintendo tried to get their 3rd party support back with the Gamecube but they kept their proprietary format which is why so many left them in the first place. Not to mention Capcom who tried to support Nintendo with "The Capcom 5" failed miserably when the higher ups at Capcom ported most of the games that were made for that to the PS2 for more money (this is what caused Shinji Mikami to leave them).

However now Nintendo is the one with the highest selling console and there's also Microsoft to go to whereas Sony's PS3 was made to be difficult to program for (one of the ways that Nintendo screwed their 3rd parties over with the 64) which obviously pissed them off. Also many of Sony's first party titles were changed quite a bit because of Sony. The Uncharted games were supposed to be way more unrealistic then they are with more crazy stuff like a whole underground race but Sony wanted it more realistic because that was more popular.

Granted Sony is probably Nintendo's strongest competitor in the portable gaming market to date with the PSP doing incredibly well compared to other people that Nintendo beat but a lot of developers didn't want to make games for the PSP since it's incredibly high piracy rate and that it wasn't too popular in the west (though in the east it was way more popular hence why games like Valkyria Chronicle got their sequel on the PSP).

Honestly there's just a whole mess of reasons and I doubt I could list them all. This is just everything I could think of or remember.

80Maxwell08:
Good god that is a lot of info

Wow, you have certainly been keeping up with things, even more then me! I am impressed and solute you. Now I will just go off into a corner and be depressed over the news you just gave me (damn, it was all worse then I thought).

xPixelatedx:

80Maxwell08:
Good god that is a lot of info

Wow, you have certainly been keeping up with things, even more then me! I am impressed and solute you. Now I will just go off into a corner and be depressed over the news you just gave me (damn, it was all worse then I thought).

It's less about keeping up and more just watching some stuff in a few random places. The PS3 being hard to program over is no secret and if you go google Shinji Mikami you will find the same stuff about him and Capcom. The Uncharted part was said in an interview somewhere. I know it's on this site somewhere. Can't find it for some reason. Ugh I swear I saw that somewhere.

No idea why this happened but removed the double post.

gigastar:
How to fix this-

Call Capcom,
Have them put the next Monster Hunter on the Vita,
Get them to release it outside of Japan this time,
And that alone would guarantee a purchase from me and at least 500 hours of playtime within the

80Maxwell08:
[quote="pspman45" post="7.373967.14475998"]yea um
they don't need more games
they need ONE game
Monster Hunter, a new one
check this out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PlayStation_Portable
four of the best selling PSP games were Monster Hunter games...

Geez I didn't realize they sold that much. Well I guess I should get Freedom Unite on the Vita. It's not the 4.1 million game but it's the only Monster Hunter available for Vita from the PSP/Vita section.
EDIT: Crap I forgot to mention this but here's the thing. THEY ADVERTISED IT ON THE VITA! Back at Sony's press conference a couple years ago when it was still the NGP Capcom went up there and showed the HD version of Monster Hunters Portable 3rd on the Vita. They said it only took a few weeks to port it on there and they didn't actually release it on there. Well it doesn't matter much now since Capcom has basically gone full Nintendo and is putting both Tri&4 on the 3DS.

Monster Hunter was basically the ONLY reason the PSP consistently topped the sales charts in Japan. That's why I knew the 3DS secured its future when a Monster Hunter game was announced for it.

It won't necessarily save the Vita though, even if they ported a game to the Vita though, why would people choose that over what's already available on the Wii and 3DS.

Gatx:

gigastar:
How to fix this-

Call Capcom,
Have them put the next Monster Hunter on the Vita,
Get them to release it outside of Japan this time,
And that alone would guarantee a purchase from me and at least 500 hours of playtime within the

80Maxwell08:
[quote="pspman45" post="7.373967.14475998"]yea um
they don't need more games
they need ONE game
Monster Hunter, a new one
check this out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PlayStation_Portable
four of the best selling PSP games were Monster Hunter games...

Geez I didn't realize they sold that much. Well I guess I should get Freedom Unite on the Vita. It's not the 4.1 million game but it's the only Monster Hunter available for Vita from the PSP/Vita section.
EDIT: Crap I forgot to mention this but here's the thing. THEY ADVERTISED IT ON THE VITA! Back at Sony's press conference a couple years ago when it was still the NGP Capcom went up there and showed the HD version of Monster Hunters Portable 3rd on the Vita. They said it only took a few weeks to port it on there and they didn't actually release it on there. Well it doesn't matter much now since Capcom has basically gone full Nintendo and is putting both Tri&4 on the 3DS.

Monster Hunter was basically the ONLY reason the PSP consistently topped the sales charts in Japan. That's why I knew the 3DS secured its future when a Monster Hunter game was announced for it.

It won't necessarily save the Vita though, even if they ported a game to the Vita though, why would people choose that over what's already available on the Wii and 3DS.

Well the port is the remake of portable 3rd not Tri so maybe people prefer one over the other. I would bet it would at least cause a huge jump in Vita sales though if those sales are any indication. Especially considering how little work would have to be done to get it on the Vita I have no idea what happened to it except guessing there was some deal worked out with Nintendo for exclusivity.

well in my experiance with Vita advertising (which is none) i've not seen one advert on TV or when i'm out an about while i've seen loads of 3DS advertising. in the GAME store the vita is in a corner of a room behind a cut out of Max payne and with a 3DS and Kinect demo in the way. it always looks barren in that corner of the room.

80Maxwell08:

That is the Vita's problem. It has no good amount of original games right now and the only game I hear people saying that is actually original coming out is Gravity Rush. You are saying you will get the Vita for a game that already exists for much cheaper elsewhere.

Do you mean like Mariokart or Mario? 2 of the 3 titles mentioned by the op as big selling points for the 3DS and that seems to be doing fine.

Furioso:
Yes, yes it does *Sits down and patiently waits for "Persona 4: The Golden"*

This is the problem. All of the coming "must have" games I hear mentioned (apart from GTA) are things like persona or monster hunter. Fantastic games that are hard to find on other systems, if you like that sort of thing (I personally dont get them). But if you think of games that have sold systems, things like Halo, God of War, Mariokart, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, they all have mass market appeal that will get lots of gamers to buy your system rather than niche hardcore titles.

I struggle to see Vita unseating the 3DS but I hope it doesnt die a death. Monopolies are bad.

airrazor7:

SuperTrainStationH:
It's unfortunate, because IMO, the Vita came out of the gate with one of the strongest day 1 launch libraries I've ever seen on ANY new system.

So I'm guessing you got into gaming after the Playstation 2 was released. Heck, the Gamecube had a stronger launch library than the Vita. The Playstation One (original) had a stronger launch library. The games that the PS Vita launched with can be counted on both hands but with fingers to spare.

Nice insult there considering you were objectively incorrect about your claims about the Vita.

Unless you happen to have more than 20 fingers.

And for your information I've been playing games long enough that I considered the 8 bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog visually incredible when I first saw it.

canadamus_prime:
What I like about this is that Miyamoto shows no disrespect towards Sony. I don't know if this has anything to do with the culture of Japan or what, but I think this is how competitive business rivals should treat each other, at least publicly anyway. Certain other companies whom shall remain unnamed should take note. As for me, I'm just pleased that there's at least one person in the industry that is still worth believing in.

Agreed, even though he's Nintendo through and through, its nice to see him care about anothers console and problems. Obviously sees the bigger picture that Japanese companies are all in this slump together.........NOW CO-OPERATE WITH EACH OTHER!

I'd love to see what would happen.

PSP Vita has an Artdink Gundam game. That's all I need. Oh, and maybe if that Gundam vs: Full Boost thing actually gets released on it (as well as the pee.s.3) I would be a very happy PSP Vita would-be owner. One more paycheck.

bjj hero:

80Maxwell08:

That is the Vita's problem. It has no good amount of original games right now and the only game I hear people saying that is actually original coming out is Gravity Rush. You are saying you will get the Vita for a game that already exists for much cheaper elsewhere.

Do you mean like Mariokart or Mario? 2 of the 3 titles mentioned by the op as big selling points for the 3DS and that seems to be doing fine.

Furioso:
Yes, yes it does *Sits down and patiently waits for "Persona 4: The Golden"*

This is the problem. All of the coming "must have" games I hear mentioned (apart from GTA) are things like persona or monster hunter. Fantastic games that are hard to find on other systems, if you like that sort of thing (I personally dont get them). But if you think of games that have sold systems, things like Halo, God of War, Mariokart, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, they all have mass market appeal that will get lots of gamers to buy your system rather than niche hardcore titles.

I struggle to see Vita unseating the 3DS but I hope it doesnt die a death. Monopolies are bad.

Mario is far different from Persona. The only people I see using the "remaking the same game" thing are people who just hate Nintendo. Also considering the popularity of Mario versus Persona you might want to find a better comparison point instead of an obscure japanese game versus the most popular game series in the world.

Cry Wolf:
Why does everything Miyamoto say become news? He's not particularly insightful and he's incredibly boring.

And he has a creepy face.

I have to agree with him; I'd like a Vita, but with the current lineup it's not really worth the price.

TizzytheTormentor:
No, It need to have Persona 4 the Golden come out for it, then things will get better for the system as I will purchase one when the game is released, along with Wipeout 2048, Final Fantasy X HD, UMVC, Street Fighter X Tekken etc...I will also buy some PS1 games like FF7+8+9 and Alundra once the PS1 thing gets working.

Also, I heard rumors of a GTA game in development for the Vita, as well as Final Fantasy Type-O being ported to it for the English release, is this true?

What, no Gravity Rush? That and The Golden is all I'm looking forward too on Vita.

3DS on the other hand... Soul Hackers.

RaikuFA:

TizzytheTormentor:
No, It need to have Persona 4 the Golden come out for it, then things will get better for the system as I will purchase one when the game is released, along with Wipeout 2048, Final Fantasy X HD, UMVC, Street Fighter X Tekken etc...I will also buy some PS1 games like FF7+8+9 and Alundra once the PS1 thing gets working.

Also, I heard rumors of a GTA game in development for the Vita, as well as Final Fantasy Type-O being ported to it for the English release, is this true?

What, no Gravity Rush? That and The Golden is all I'm looking forward too on Vita.

Will Soul Hackers be released in PAL format, please god, let there be a European release (fucking 3DS region lock) Also, I will look into gravity rush when I get a Vita, thank you.

Boy am I glad Miyamoto was here to tell us non industry proffessionals that a new console could stand to have a few more games for it...

Almost had a crisis for a second there.

TizzytheTormentor:

RaikuFA:

TizzytheTormentor:

Will Soul Hackers be released in PAL format, please god, let there be a European release (fucking 3DS region lock) Also, I will look into gravity rush when I get a Vita, thank you.

Ask Ghostlight if they'll do it. I believe they do all the SMT games for UK.

subtlefuge:

Quiotu:
Nintendo is probably the last company that needs to tell another company 'You need more good games on your handheld in the first 6 months'.

Just sayin'...

Did you just read the title? Someone who admits that they made the same mistake is the exact person who should be giving advice about that mistake.

Oh yeah, I read the article. Exactly how does Nintendo making the same mistake recently make them experts? You know, if a functioning alcoholic was telling me I drink too much, I'd find them full of shit as well. 'Do as I say, not as I do' is terrible advice, no matter who's giving it.

Evil Smurf:
the vitas problem is that it does not play Pokemon.

i have to agree with this: that little series of portable crack has been the deciding factor in me buying every nintendo handheld so far, and no new gen for the 3DS is why i have yet to buy it.

lack of games has been sony's problem ever since the PS3. to me, the PS3 was like the inverse of the 360: it had a couple really great games while the 360 had a whole bunch of decent games. i dont know what about sony's major success with the full game libraries of the ps1 and ps2 they had a problem with, but they could stand to return to that business model instead the "over-designed, over-priced version of something people already bought for cheaper" model they seem to have now.

"The 3DS had a similar problem"

The 3DS still has that problem. The freaking Wii still has that problem.

80Maxwell08:

TizzytheTormentor:

That is the Vita's problem. It has no good amount of original games right now and the only game I hear people saying that is actually original coming out is Gravity Rush. You are saying you will get the Vita for a game that already exists for much cheaper elsewhere. Saying a remake will be the Vita's killer title is absolutely insane. Right now on the Vita there are 5 original titles total. Of those 5 only 3 are above a 4 star rating. Of those 3 one of them is a cheap indie title, one of them is a generic third person shooter who had it's entire dev staff laid off before the game was even released, and the other one apparently uses the touch screens as it's entire control method. After all of my experiences with the touch screens I cannot put into words how bad an idea that is. I don't know if the Vita really needs a price cut but I will say it needs actual original titles on it. There's no point in spending $250 plus a memory card just for another uncharted. Not to mention that remote play function for the Vita only works with Hustle Kings, MLB 12 The Show, and Wipeout 2048.

captcha: lunatic fridge...um is that in any of the Persona games? Usually the captcha is pretty spot on with these things.

Does there exist a single original IP on the 3DS? At all?

airrazor7:

SuperTrainStationH:
It's unfortunate, because IMO, the Vita came out of the gate with one of the strongest day 1 launch libraries I've ever seen on ANY new system.

So I'm guessing you got into gaming after the Playstation 2 was released. Heck, the Gamecube had a stronger launch library than the Vita. The Playstation One (original) had a stronger launch library. The games that the PS Vita launched with can be counted on both hands but with fingers to spare.

Hello, freak with more than 26 fingers.

Anoni Mus:

DVS BSTrD:
LoL they actually think Kid Icharus is a good game.

Trolololo.

It is a good game. Just because Yahtzee doesn't like doesn't make it a bad game.

No, the fact that its a portable game that isn't fucking portable makes it a bad game.

Foolproof:

Once again you can't compare some obscure Japanese game to the most popular game series on the planet. Nintendo could half ass a Mario game in less than a year and it would still sell a million.

80Maxwell08:

Foolproof:

Once again you can't compare some obscure Japanese game to the most popular game series on the planet. Nintendo could half ass a Mario game in less than a year and it would still sell a million.

Because Uncharted doesn't exist anymore, and Golden Abyss was erased from existence.

Foolproof:

80Maxwell08:

Foolproof:

Because Uncharted doesn't exist anymore, and Golden Abyss was erased from existence.

Uncharted isn't original and on top of that has 3 better games on the PS3 already. All the new one has to add is touch screen controls and there's a reason Uncharted 2 got rid of the motion controls of the first one. Would you really pay an extra $250 plus the memory card just for another Uncharted that's only new feature is touch controls?
EDIT: Not to mention that Uncharted Golden Abyss is already out and the Vita's sales are still pathetic. It's being outsold 9 to 1 against the 3DS.

The Vita has an absolutely tepid release schedule so far. Literally every single title that is worth playing is already out on a home console. Then again, Sony has ALWAYS forgotten that software sells units, not how many bells and whistles the hardware has. Then again, this is what happens when you're not a game company but a games division of an electronics company

80Maxwell08:

Foolproof:

80Maxwell08:

Uncharted isn't original and on top of that has 3 better games on the PS3 already. All the new one has to add is touch screen controls and there's a reason Uncharted 2 got rid of the motion controls of the first one. Would you really pay an extra $250 plus the memory card just for another Uncharted that's only new feature is touch controls?

For the exact same reason you'd pay $169 for a new Mario when there are 25 better games on other systems, and the only new feature is a hard to focus 3D effect that doesn't add anything.

Once again, refrain from bringing up any argument that you yourself already dismissed.

Foolproof:

80Maxwell08:

Foolproof:

For the exact same reason you'd pay $169 for a new Mario thats only new feature is a hard to focus 3D effect that doesn't add anything.

Once again, refrain from bringing up any argument that you yourself already dismissed.

Mario on the 3DS made it's sales jump. Uncharted did nothing.

DVS BSTrD:
LoL they actually think Kid Icharus is a good game.

It's a Nintendo Game.

Based on a franchise from the 80s.

With some gimmick attached to it.

Isn't that Nintendo's textbook definition of good?

80Maxwell08:

Foolproof:

80Maxwell08:

For the exact same reason you'd pay $169 for a new Mario thats only new feature is a hard to focus 3D effect that doesn't add anything.

So therefore the problem isn't a lack of quality games by any stretch of the imagination.

Like John said, the 3DS's sales had nothing to do with the software, and more to do with the price drop.

Foolproof:

80Maxwell08:

Foolproof:

So therefore the problem isn't a lack of quality games by any stretch of the imagination.

Like John said, the 3DS's sales had nothing to do with the software, and more to do with the price drop.

Well that's obvious by it's sales records when they did that. What was it less than 100k sold before the drop to 370k sold afterward? However I doubt Sony is going to cut the price anytime soon since they are already selling it at a loss.

Foolproof:
No, the fact that its a portable game that isn't fucking portable makes it a bad game.

Kid Icarus: Uprising isn't portable?

Gee, I wish someone informed me that before I spent the vast majority of my playtime on it beyond the confines of my home.

Foolproof:

Dillon's Rolling Western, Mutant Mudds, Freakyforms, Pushmo, Sakura Samurai?

Captain Obvious to the rescue! Only he can point out what everyone else already knows! Blue skies? Now you know for sure! Water is wet? Fact checked and proven accurate!

SuperTrainStationH:

Foolproof:

Kid Icarus: Uprising isn't portable?

Gee, I wish someone informed me that before I spent the vast majority of my playtime on it beyond the confines of my home.

While using a stand.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or