Best Buy Employee "Outs" Straight Guy

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Best Buy Employee "Outs" Straight Guy

A heterosexual gentleman has accused a Best Buy Employee of impersonating him on Facebook.

Denver resident, Rich Dewberry, took his mobile phone to Best Buy to have it repaired and was given a new phone. Unfortunately Dewberry hadn't signed out of Facebook and shortly after he deposited the phone, his Facebook status was updated to read, "I am gay, I'm coming out."

"The phone just started ringing constantly after that from [an] ex-spouse to friends," he said.

Dewberry filed a complaint with the store, who responded that they'd already fired the employee responsible.

Now the "sign in as someone else and make them say embarrassing stuff" prank has been a mainstay of pubescent jokery for years - I recall one wasted summer spent trying to sign up a friend for an al-Qaeda terrorist cell - but Dewberry isn't laughing. He apparently isn't very keen on being mistaken for a homosexual.

"I feel I have been humiliated. My reputation has been tarnished," he said.

"Just having to explain it to certain people that I haven't been in contact for a while," he continued. "I feel I shouldn't have to do that."

He's currently exploring his legal options with his attorney. That is not a euphemism.

Source: KMGH

He's currently exploring his legal options with his attorney. That is not a euphemism.

Sooo much winnn....

wow, so much drama. I hope he doesn't play CoD or his reputation would be "tarnished" several times a match by people calling him faggot.

antipunt:

Sooo much winnn....

Dont know if to laugh... or not. Must... appear... mature.

Your reputation wasn't tarnished until you said that. -_-

I'm Facebook friends with someone who left her Facebook open and the "hilarious prankster" wrote a status about being a child molester, but that whole hubbub lasted a full day before she re-logged in, deleted the status and shouted down the guy who did it (BECAUSE SERIOUSLY, WTF). Reputation damage: 0.

This story has only proved to me further that some people need to stop taking themselves so seriously. A simple "I'm gay, ha ha" on your Facebook wall isn't anything close to the worst thing they could have done, he should have ended with a general complaint and not pursued legal action.

lacktheknack:
Your reputation wasn't tarnished until you said that. -_-

I'm Facebook friends with someone who left her Facebook open and the "hilarious prankster" wrote a status about being a child molester, but that whole hubbub lasted a full day before she re-logged in, deleted the status and shouted down the guy who did it (BECAUSE SERIOUSLY, WTF). Reputation damage: 0.

This story has only proved to me further that some people need to stop taking themselves so seriously. A simple "I'm gay, ha ha" on your Facebook wall isn't anything close to the worst thing they could have done, he should have ended with a general complaint and not pursued legal action.

While I'm not sure how fair it is for this article to almost paint this dude as a homophobe, a persons sexual identity is kind of a sensitive topic. He could have been put in an awkward position in front friends family and co workers and the person doing it was a representative of a corporation that needed to maintain the trust so that they could conduct business like this. Maybe this time this guy just changed someone's Facebook status, but in the end it still pretty much amounts to identity theft. I think a lawsuit is fine IMHO.

This is hilarious.

Not because of the prank itself but the fact that Facebook has grown so huge that it can apparently affect your entire life to this extent.

Another reason why I don't bother with the damned parasite.

The Hungry Samurai:

While I'm not sure how fair it is for this article to almost paint this dude as a homophobe, a persons sexual identity is kind of a sensitive topic. He could have been put in an awkward position in front friends family and co workers and the person doing it was a representative of a corporation that needed to maintain the trust so that they could conduct business like this. Maybe this time this guy just changed someone's Facebook status, but in the end it still pretty much amounts to identity theft. I think a lawsuit is fine IMHO.

It doesn't "pretty much amount to identity theft", it literally IS identity theft under American law. The man accessed, without permission, an account owned by another person, and in impersonating him, with no acknowledgement that he was not really that man, made claims about the man that were not true.
I think even libel comes into play here.

And to the people who inevitably, and have already, rant about, "reputation", employers are watching your Facebook now. Facebook is not private, under any circumstance or definition of the word, even if you select the "friends only" button.
What you do on Facebook can and generally is viewed by countless people, it is the same as shouting what you did and showing picture off in public.
Facebook users have signed up for a service that has options to track where they are going, has millions of users who share too many details and idiotic ramblings, and basically will tell you the mundane workings of their daily life.
It's a system built and used to show the world what you are doing. And when you use it, the world views it. You don't get to keep your burger flipping job when you decry the company on T.V., Facebook is no different.

EDIT: I also do not agree with the tone taken by the news post. It unfairly paints the man as a homophobe. You're not Fox News. Stop fucking up your reputation Escapist News Room.

How hard is it to tell someone "I got hacked".

Maybe its embarrassing if your an intolerant ass but for the average person they just change their password and put out a new post saying "My account got hacked"

If he could prove this somehow negatively affected his life in a serious way, I.E., his work suffered or he lost sleep over it or something like that, I'm fairly certain he'd win a slander case.[1]

Anyway, he could reasonably take this one to court, and I could even see him winning it.

[1] Or is it libel for written words? I can never remember, but I want to say it's slander.

granted the best buy employee is a complete douchebag, especially doing that to someone you probably don't even know

however, simply saying "that wasn't me, phone was used by someone else, i'm not gay" is pretty dang easy....seeking legal issues? you kidding me? you must live in some very very strange world, as that is almost offensive in itself to take that much offense to it, regardless.

I'd be much more embarrassed explaining that I was too stupid to sign-off Facebook before turning in my phone.

Grey Carter:
He apparently isn't very fond of homosexuals.

"I feel I have been humiliated. My reputation has been tarnished," he said.

Yep, he's a moron alright.

Unless there was some true life ramifications (lost girlfriend, family disownerment, job loss) from this joke that barely qualifies as a competant april fools prank. Then grow a spine you child. My own flesh and blood have mistakenly let loose worse information about me than 'lol i am gay' on the sodding internet.

Captcha: Emperor's clothes. I feel swanky.

Grey Carter:

Now the "sign in as someone else and make them say embarrassing stuff" prank has been a mainstay of pubescent jokery for years - I recall one wasted summer spent trying to sign up a friend for an al-Qaeda terrorist cell - but Dewberry isn't laughing. He apparently isn't very fond of homosexuals.

While he is perhaps reacting stronger than I would in this situation, I wouldn't say that him not liking a status that implies he's gay is the same as not being fond of homosexuals (unless of course he said something later on in the story that suggests that), just that he isn't fond of perhaps being identified as one.

Anyways, so is he overeacting? Perhaps, but I can see where he's coming from. Seeing how Facebook can actually affect things such as getting a job, I can see how someone would be angry about changes made to their profile especially if these changes could work negatively against them. Being gay of course shouldn't be a factor that affects getting a job, but it's not like someone couldn't judge their descision to hire based on that one item. To me in this case it looks more like a "It's the principal of the matter" type of scenario rather than a "I have been greatly harmed" scenario.

Just wanna chime in to say: it is not fucking classy to imply that the guy's a homophobe. Also: the headline is misleading, the al-Qaeda "joke" is tasteless and awkward, and the end joke doesn't even exist ("not a euphemism" - what part of your preceding sentence even remotely resembles a familiar euphemism? "Exploring"? Nope. "Options"? Nope. "Attorney"? See, there's nothing. No actual joke fuel!) Bleh. Terrible!

As far as the actual topic is concerned: of course it's identity theft. Probably not too hard of a mess to clean up, tho. Dude can easily post an explanation on facebook. Looks like he'd rather sue someone. Fair enough.

Darkmantle:
wow, so much drama. I hope he doesn't play CoD or his reputation would be "tarnished" several times a match by people calling him faggot.

I don't see what the problem is; I've successfully sued 2,428,165 "accounts."

Wow talk about not being able to take a joke.
Who really doesn't see an "i am gay" post on facebook and not immediately think it's a frape anyway?

The "I'm gay" facebook post when logged onto a device that other people have access to is extremely common. I see it all the time on mine, always followed by a "Agh, I left my page up." The guy needs to chill.

So many people take things the wrong way on the internet. Alot of people on this website misread what people were trying to say all the time. Little pissed off to if some doush at work was pretending to be me. Everyone has the right to be offended at stuff that they see as being bad. Somebody like me would not care if someone posted that I was gay, but I can't speak for everybody else. Many of you would throw around that it's a maturity thing and he needs to grow up. Alot of you would throw a tatrum at work because the big bad company is making you work Friday and you wanted to get drunk. Not really sure why he wants to sue BestBuy because they already fired the guy, he has no case.

antipunt:

Grey Carter:

Sooo much winnn....

Pffffft. Bwahahahaah!

Agreed.

Unfortunately as fun a prank it is, it's illegal (at least in the UK) and legal action can be pursued. It comes under The computer Misuse Act 1990 as unauthorised access to someone's private information, whether they left it on unsecured or not. They didn't authorise you to use it therefore you are in breach of the law. Of course if your buddy know it was a joke, they obviously won't go running to the police about it.

This is the single-most boring thing, for you guys, I have ever said. It seems my education is working. Yay-crap!

Lets never speak of this again.

With the near global acceptance for homosexuality these days this will be thrown out in court. As soon as he mentions that he doesn't like homosexuals the court will be instantly against him.

Harbinger_:
With the near global acceptance for homosexuality these days this will be thrown out in court. As soon as he mentions that he doesn't like homosexuals the court will be instantly against him.

True. I could understand someone being angry that somebody was on your facebook that you trusted and paid to fix your phone professionally. That's basic privacy, right there, but the worker responsible has been fired. No need for further action, what is he looking for here? By taking such action, all he'll do is out himself as a homophobe, which these days is a true mark against your name.

Grey Carter:
I recall one wasted summer spent trying to sign up a friend for an al-Qaeda terrorist cell

You were joking, right? Right?!? Am I old fashioned in believing pranks shouldn't involve raising red flags with the security services...?

"He apparently isn't very fond of homosexuals."

Say Billy, do you know what libel is?

The legal options he's currently exploring may just expand to include this article... and that's not a euphemism either.

You're all really missing the point.

The guy handed in the phone to Best Buy, and the Best Buy employee abused his position. The customer was wronged, and there's nothing to "get over". This is the main point.

The details of homosexuality and whatnot are just the means.

antipunt:

Sooo much winnn....

I laughed. I laughed so much.

LastGreatBlasphemer:

The Hungry Samurai:

It doesn't "pretty much amount to identity theft", it literally IS identity theft under American law. The man accessed, without permission, an account owned by another person, and in impersonating him, with no acknowledgement that he was not really that man, made claims about the man that were not true.
I think even libel comes into play here.

And to the people who inevitably, and have already, rant about, "reputation", employers are watching your Facebook now. Facebook is not private, under any circumstance or definition of the word, even if you select the "friends only" button.
What you do on Facebook can and generally is viewed by countless people, it is the same as shouting what you did and showing picture off in public.
Facebook users have signed up for a service that has options to track where they are going, has millions of users who share too many details and idiotic ramblings, and basically will tell you the mundane workings of their daily life.
It's a system built and used to show the world what you are doing. And when you use it, the world views it. You don't get to keep your burger flipping job when you decry the company on T.V., Facebook is no different.

EDIT: I also do not agree with the tone taken by the news post. It unfairly paints the man as a homophobe. You're not Fox News. Stop fucking up your reputation Escapist News Room.

Agreed completely with the above. A lawsuit, when trust has been breached in this way, is both acceptable and appropriate.

Also, to everyone saying he is overreacting and that he could have simply posted a retraction, obviously you have never "come out" before. It can be one of the most harrowing events of a persons life, and even actual gay people have tried to retract it before. It doesn't work. There will now be people, it could be his boss at work, his children, his children's friends, who think he actually is gay and is just trying to back pedal. That's less likely if he takes the company to court and proves in a court of law that he was not the one who posted the status in the first place.

Harbinger_:

Where? Where is he actually saying that he doesn't like homosexuals? Admittedly the link to the source was a flash video so I haven't seen the original video, but I can't see anything quoted in this article that makes me think the man is homophobic. All I see is that being implied by the author of the story.

Reminds of seeing a persons status saying 'I like cum, in my bum'. Everyone had a good laugh about it, including the guy that got FaceBook jacked. 'Ruined my reputation' though, that is quite laughable.

wait, i refuse to stand by while such shitty reporting is on display. "not fond of gays?" if someone did that to me, i'd be pissed too. i'd sue the shit out of that store. but i don't hate gay people. i know a few, they're no different than straight, bisexual, or even asexual people...

his privacy was violated and he was subjected to embarassment that won't immediately go away. and yes, it would be embarrassing. doesn't mean i don't like gay people, it just means that it is not who i am.

grey carter, that was really shitty of you. get your shit straight. between increasingly ignorant "reporting" which basically amounts to the editorial column, captchas that are adverstisements and captchas before videos (do you think someone is FAKE WATCHING VIDEOS? get real...) i'm losing my patience with this site. and i'm not alone.

My guess, the guy was an ass to the employee.

that's fucked that bestbuy employee is abusing his power. He should have done his job instead posting on this guy's facebook(maybe the employee is gay and has a crush on him?)

And I thought I took life too seriously... Pffft, what a loser.

His reputation would have been fixed if he just updated his facebook status and said what happened. Now everybody knows he's a prick instead. Hats off to that guy.

Tbh I wouldnt like it if someone put something like that and people didn't see it as a joke. I can udnerstand how he feels to an extent.

Best facebook prank I've ever done: Posting on someone's wall "I'm feeling generous and so for every like will give 1 to the NSPCC". It got 70+ likes within a few hours.

Luckily the guy found it hilarious and we had a good laugh about it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here