Best Buy Employee "Outs" Straight Guy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Dastardly:

Raven's Nest:
I'm not saying what the employee did was fine. I'm saying the "victim" is over reacting and should get over it. There is real, bloody injustices going on in the world. When I see people like this proclaim their reputation has been tarnished over something like that I can't help but think lol, first world problems...

"First world" problems are still problems. Just because there are bigger problems out there doesn't mean things like this are... what... blessings? If I pay $5 for a burger and they don't give it to me, I'm not going to starve or anything, but it's still a problem: I'm going to do what I can to get it fixed.

So far, we're painting this guy as an overreacting homophobe, and our only evidence is that we're being told by a supposedly disinterested party that he's a homophobe.

Oh, the guy's offended at being called gay? It must be that he hates all gays. That's ridiculous. If someone accessed my Facebook without permission and put up a message that I had sex with a coworker, I'd be intensely offended and I'd fight back -- does that mean I hate the coworker?

As to pursuing legal action, it's called "trying to do something." When someone wrongs you, it's only human nature to want to do something back. He's looking into what he can do, nothing more. He hasn't said he's suing the guy, he hasn't said he wants a bajillion dollars.

If he wants to crusade for justice that's fine. The rest of us don't need to know about it...

Raven's Nest:
If he wants to crusade for justice that's fine. The rest of us don't need to know about it...

Well there was apparently at least one reporter who asked the guy. And then a few news outlets that chose to run the story. Unless you believe this guy is also publishing all of these articles himself?

Seriously, all of the crap stories out there about the various Kardashians and their antics, and this is the story you would crusade against? There are bigger problems out there... right?

Dastardly:

Raven's Nest:

Well there was apparently at least one reporter who asked the guy. And then a few news outlets that chose to run the story. Unless you believe this guy is also publishing all of these articles himself?

Seriously, all of the crap stories out there about the various Kardashians and their antics, and this is the story you would crusade against? There are bigger problems out there... right?

Well point taken. But i cant say I even bother reading those ones lol.

Stories like this just seem to provoke even more unhappiness if you ask me. Look how many people in this thread have had their hackles put up because of someone else's response?

RyoScar:
I had a bit of sympathy for him at first since it wasn't true, but after he said his reputation was "tarnished" all sympathy went out the window.

Obviously, that means you hate black people and the black community.

The man happens to be black. This is the community that both voted for Obama and voted overwhelmingly against gay marriage in 2008 (California's Proposition 8 wasn't defeated by Mormons, it was defeated by the first-time Obama voters.) and will quite likely threaten physical violence against people who come out as gay. Way to miss the most important aspect of the story in your mad rush to condemn the guy, sophomoric race-blind Escapist libs.

By the way, what's the liberal value heirarchy right now? Is it blacks over gays or gays over blacks? Regardless, Boondocks has it right:

Myrmecodon:

RyoScar:
I had a bit of sympathy for him at first since it wasn't true, but after he said his reputation was "tarnished" all sympathy went out the window.

Obviously, that means you hate black people and the black community.

The man happens to be black. This is the community that both voted for Obama and voted overwhelmingly against gay marriage in 2008 (California's Proposition 8 wasn't defeated by Mormons, it was defeated by the first-time Obama voters.) and will quite likely threaten physical violence against people who come out as gay. Way to miss the most important aspect of the story in your mad rush to condemn the guy, sophomoric race-blind Escapist libs.

By the way, what's the liberal value heirarchy right now? Is it blacks over gays or gays over blacks? Regardless, Boondocks has it right:

Umm, I don't hate Black people, some of my best friends are black, and some of my best friends are gay. I've no clue what you're on about, don't be a troll.

DVS BSTrD:

Heimir:

DVS BSTrD:
I'd be much more embarrassed explaining that I was too stupid to sign-off Facebook before turning in my phone.
Yep, he's a moron alright.

Because he isn't fond of gay ppl he is a moron?

People who aren't fond of MacDonalds customers are morons alright.

Yeah, makes no sense, brah.

So being gay means you eat at MacDonalds?

Which one of us is having trouble making sense again?

It was an example, nimrod. So why is he a moron if he isn't fond of gay people? Are you a moron for not liking people who don't like gay people?

If he doesn't like them than ofcourse he'll feel quite offended if put in the same box as them.

If I don't like nazis, ofcourse I don't want to be put in the same box as them, it'd be offensive. (Not saying gay ppl are nazis, but it was an example. I have to say this in case if your brain capacity is insufficient to understand that concept.)

I'm gay and I'd be pissed off if people were spreading rumors about me being straight.
Actually, that happens a lot. Some people seem to think that if a man and a woman talk to each other they must be having sex.

Still, I wouldn't like someone doing something like that and spreading things about me that aren't true.

And impersonating someone else like that is not funny or right. And it wasn't even like it was his friend or someone he knew.

Heimir:

If he doesn't like them than ofcourse he'll feel quite offended if put in the same box as them.

I personally don't have anything against straight people, but I would be offended if someone spread rumors about me being something I'm not...

90% of all good facebook statuses are when someone has left theirs logged in, and they've been fraped as a result.

Dude from the original story(the one who decided to kick off because of this) is just being a dick by "exploring legal options".

However, the bloke working at the shop is also a bit of a retard - sure you do that stuff to friends, but not to paying customers when you work a place. Deserves to lose his job for such idiocy.

Dude. Delete the "I'm coming out" post. Make a new post saying you got hacked.

Your "reputation" can take it. The fact that you've made such a big deal out of it to the point where you're not even in contact with people anymore out of embarrassment will make it seem like you're confirming it.

Granted, the asshole who was supposed to help you with your phone should totally be fired, but you don't see me or anyone else immediately taking legal action when we get hacked. This is just justified anger while mixed with his natural greedy desires, like most domestic lawsuits.

RyoScar:
Umm, I don't hate Black people, some of my best friends are black, and some of my best friends are gay. I've no clue what you're on about, don't be a troll.

Your first instinct was to use the "some of my best friends are X" line, rather than apologizing for your ignorance of the situation? Wow. Just wow.

Myrmecodon:

RyoScar:

Your first instinct was to use the "some of my best friends are X" line, rather than apologizing for your ignorance of the situation? Wow. Just wow.

My original post was saying I lost all sympathy for the guy since he acted like a homophobe. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, and I apologize if I somehow did.

I find that most people on this thread have no sense of perspective. I doubt most of you would take this situation lightly if it happened to you. If a friend of mine logged in on my account and posted something that isn't true I'd be pissed. I'd demand that they rectify what they had done and apologize openly. Had someone I paid to fix my phone done the same, I'd be suing as well.

OP: I see you have played your cards well; you know your audience. Posting "He apparently isn't very fond of homosexuals" truly changed this topic. Instead of writing about a man who has been wronged by Best Buy you wrote that a homophobe is going bananas over a "minor prank". I do not find this funny.

Ilikemilkshake:

Chairman Miaow:

Ilikemilkshake:
Wow talk about not being able to take a joke.
Who really doesn't see an "i am gay" post on facebook and not immediately think it's a frape anyway?

Adults. And if somebody I didn't know went through my personal things I would be pretty damn pissed off too.

I'm not saying i wouldn't be pissed at someone going through my stuff, It's pretty damn unprofessional of the employee to do that and he should be punished for it.
But at the same time i think the guy overreacted.

I'll admit, he should have just been happy with getting the guy fired, but bringing his lawyer into it is definitely a step too far.

I think a lot of people here are missing something very important. Pranking friends is okay. Pranking complete strangers in what should be a professional setting? not cool.

When you're in your teens and 20s, it is expected you have idiot friends who will do stupid things like this, so when it is revealed to be a joke it is "okay". When you are a grown adult (because lets face it, people in their 20s are not "grown adults" as much as we would like to think.

The worst part about this article and about society in general is that people treat homosexuality as a joke. That is bigoted and immature. That whole LGBTQ community is just a group of people who want people to take them more seriously. The only time we see people representing LGBTQ in the media they are always a caricature (gays are good with fashion, lesbians are hot, gays are loud and obnoxious about being gay, etc).

Just like any group of people, they don't appreciate being at the short end of a bad joke. If a joke is funny, then it is funny. If it is lame (like facebook "hacking"), I wouldn't want to be associated with that.

Real shame that everyone believes that everyone on the internet is a white heterosexual teenager trapped in the American 1950s. It isn't funny; it's backwards.

Absolutionis:
You're all really missing the point.

The guy handed in the phone to Best Buy, and the Best Buy employee abused his position. The customer was wronged, and there's nothing to "get over". This is the main point.

The details of homosexuality and whatnot are just the means.

I'm happy I wasn't the only one who had that on their mind. This is pretty much my entire response to the article.

Fuck me, delete it and write another status explaining what happened. Problem solved, dip-shit.

I'm pretty upset with the Best Buy employee. Not because he did that prank and all with making someone's profile say "i'm gay and coming out of the closet", but the fact he did so while being on the job. I've been trying to find and get any job possible with no luck still. Yet, this guy who has a job was dicking around with a customer's cell phone *pun intended*.

As for the guy, he may of been wronged but the employee got fired overall. No need to push the case further involving lawyers or what not. It's just Facebook and it's easy to say you got hacked and explain the story. If people don't believe you, then who needs them as friends? Just saying, Facebook was made for communication but all I see is drama coming off it. Backlashing even.

Woodsey:
Fuck me, delete it and write another status explaining what happened. Problem solved, dip-shit.

If he fucked you, then that would probably mean he was gay. Or if he dipped shit, for that matter.

Can I take a guess at the employee's intellectual and emotional age range? I'd say he's about sixteen, up there. That might actually be generous of me.

"Yeah, dudes, I totally hacked this guy's Facebook page and, like, left a message making him say he was gay!
- DUUUUUDE! Man, that's fuckin' hardcore, brah!
- Right on, broseph! Hey, uh, why don't we get six Irish Car Bombs each tonight and put it on YouTube! It'd be fuckin' rad, bros!
- Oh yeah, oooooh yeeeeah, you're the man, bro, you're the man!"

If that's the case, I hope we'll be able to petition J-Fresh on that matter.

"Well I could explain to everyone that Im straight but then theyl think im a DUN DUN DUNNNN homophobe" So I guess ill just stay single and never find a girl because I let liberal trends keep who I am down through misplaced guilt.

Second they guy prolly just wants to sue for money I dont think any reasonable person is hurt because they had to fix there status.

I don't think he's necessarily a homophobe. In some families/social circles it could have a bad impact on how others see him.
He might be exaggerating the impact of it because he plans to sue Best Buy.

Hmm, If it happened to me I'd probably try to cash in too!

It's a pretty funny way to get fired and brag about it at the bar, but it's nowhere near the awesome level of "Lady Chinky Eyes". Still, the guy should have been fired, no arguements here.

While I can't give details, I was speaking with a customer a few days ago who was wronged and got so pissed, Corporate stepped in and demanded his Termination. You have to royally F*** up for Corporate to personally demand the firing, since I work in a place similar to Franchise set up.

LastGreatBlasphemer:

EDIT: I also do not agree with the tone taken by the news post. It unfairly paints the man as a homophobe. You're not Fox News. Stop fucking up your reputation Escapist News Room.

He states that his reputation was tarnished because people thought he was gay. That seems pretty homophobic to me.

OT: I suppose the Best Buy employee is probably liable for libel. Me and my friends have facebook raped each other multiple times, usually to the effect of things like "HMMM I love cock" or similar. It's childish and petty, and I suppose on some level is slightly a slur against gays, since it's equating gay sex as being worse than normal sex. Then again, one of my gay friends once got Fraped to say that he loves vagina, so...

So you can't just delete the post and make another saying your account was used by someone else?

Well then. I guess news today was slow......

lacktheknack:
Your reputation wasn't tarnished until you said that. -_-

I'm Facebook friends with someone who left her Facebook open and the "hilarious prankster" wrote a status about being a child molester, but that whole hubbub lasted a full day before she re-logged in, deleted the status and shouted down the guy who did it (BECAUSE SERIOUSLY, WTF). Reputation damage: 0.

This story has only proved to me further that some people need to stop taking themselves so seriously. A simple "I'm gay, ha ha" on your Facebook wall isn't anything close to the worst thing they could have done, he should have ended with a general complaint and not pursued legal action.

There is some differences about your particular story and this one. First off a child molester is not going to openly tell you he/she is one, most of them are quite embarrassed and will DEFEND themselves if caught, but usually not come straight out and admit it. "Coming out of the closet" however is something believable and can affect a persons life. The sad truth is this information on a social networking site can have detrimental consequences on someones daily life.

I for one know some ignorant people who would (if they were friends with this guy during this incident) would have gone to great lengths to 1) Cut all contact and 2) Berate the man at any chance. The fact is there are people like this all over the world, in every position. Employers DO use facebook when hiring people, suppose such an ignorant person like that viewed this story, the man no longer has a job with this particular company. The same applies to families, some are very intolerant of the homosexual lifestyle and will turn anyone who is into a outcast.

Is he taking this too far? Noone can tell to be honest, we aren't living in his environment to realize how horrible this could be to him or if its really nothing at all.

I think the writer of this report is a dickhead for trying to sign his friend up for a terrorist cell.

What a dumb fucking thing to do.

I find it hard to believe he could be homosexual.

Especially with that stick up his ass.

"Denver resident"

That explains it. People there take first world problems SO seriously and will sue over ANYTHING.

martyrdrebel27:
asexual people...

People cannot reproduce without the aid of another. People are not Asexual.

Okay, here's the way I see it.

To everyone saying that suing bestbuy is taking it too far. A company (especially a company that has anything to do with a customers personal information) has a duty of care to their customers to ensure their personal information is not used in an inappropriate manner. It would be a similar situation if, for example, a bestbuy employee had sold the guys credit card information. Sure, he could contact the bank and get any erroneous charges removed, but I'd still be suing the company over having it happen in the first place. A duty of care has been breached and he has every right to sue the company for it.

For those sayings the guy is a homophobe, I'd posit that even if he is the employee was acting in a vastly more homophobic manner than customer. As someone who grew up in schools where the number 1 playground insult was to call someone a fag the indifferent treatment of homosexuality as a joke hurts much more than someone simply wanting to be honest about their sexuality. This man is not gay, so he doesn't want to be identified as guy. I am not straight so I don't want to be identified as straight.

I'd like to add my support to those who have expressed disappointment in the author of this news piece. Not wanting to be identified as gay does not make the man homophobic, or even mean that he dislikes gay people, and to imply that with no supporting evidence is turning news into gossip, something that already happens far too much these days.

He's currently exploring his legal options with his attorney. That is not a euphemism.

Yeah I lost it right there.

OT
The employee: Shouldn't have done it considering they didn't know the guy, even if the guy was a dick it's not worth getting fired for.

The customer: Should be more careful with his stuff and maybe get a better sense of humour.

RyoScar:

Myrmecodon:

RyoScar:

My original post was saying I lost all sympathy for the guy since he acted like a homophobe. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, and I apologize if I somehow did.

Can one accept apologies from those so ignorant they can't even identify the offended? Let me level with you, Ryoscar. I used that liberal cant 'wow, just wow' line because I could already tell you'd been brainwashed by the typical scholastic twaddle on gays, blacks, and everything other aggrieved professional minority group in the Party of Lies.

I couldn't care less if you hated black or gay people in real life. Actually, you should probably steer well clear of both if you're this ignorant about how the majority of gays tend to act in reality. (Hint: Stereotypes are there for a reason, they're public information for those without the time, money, or access to do research on the local minorities.) And if a lynch mob can be whipped up over George Zimmerman despite his stellar record of service to his local black community, how do you think they'll treat the typical young white liberal who stumbles into their hood?

The truth is the guy probably came of as gay due to his choice of earring and soft-spoken affect. And since Best Buy isn't releasing the name or picture of the employee who did it, it's highly likely that the employee who posted the update was black too.

That's the way America operates today. You don't need forgiveness from me, you need an education on what people are deliberately not telling you.

Don't like false rumors = homophobe.

Stay classy, Escapist.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook