Best Buy Employee "Outs" Straight Guy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

gmaverick019:

Aprilgold:

gmaverick019:

that is a very extreme case you pointed out, as that shit gets plastered everywhere when something so horribly illogical happens. I've seen this happen to people i know (derp via facebook status's) and a solid 90% of the time people know it's either a hack or a joke, if his friends/family are that gullible to believe some random status post (or let himself get so worked up about it) then they really need to wake up and take a good whiff of the 21st century.

and while i'm not saying you don't have a point, because you do, let's remember this is Denver Colorado we are talking about here, not some random hick town out in the middle of nowhere or another random country still stuck in 3rd world mode (no offense is meant by that), so the expectations are quite different and for him to honestly sue to win money over it (the guy was fired, that is more than enough justice served) is quite absurd.

While sewing is extreme, and I'm not arguing against that, doesn't mean that it isn't out of the question. He could sue the person for the written version of slander which I can't remember the term for at the moment if it actually caused some real trouble for the man. Hell, it is a felony in multiple places, so he could still very well make that guys life a living hell.

But on topic once more, just because a state is nice doesn't mean that terrible shiz doesn't happen in it. Germany is a nice place but lest we forget that is the place where a dictator decided to kill all the Jews and rose to power. He may have been friends with very highly religious people, and since this is America, most likely insane Catholic people who most likely think that Homosexuality is not only a sin, but a plague that can be vaccinated.

As I said earlier, as well as many others, Facebook profiles can be seen by everybody and certain people will want certain things from a worker. Could have lost a buisness oppurtunity if he was looking for a new job and the dude who was manager there saw his profile, saw he was gay and said no. I can't work at Mcdonalds and rant about how much Mcdonalds is a terrible place without at least raising one eyebrow in the work place. I can't be a priest and go onto my Facebook account and say how much I love to rape children without getting slapped in the face while teaching prayer to said children.

Yes, extreme it may seem, but I wouldn't be honestly surprised if he had to seriously walk people through that he is in fact not gay. Just because your circle of friends are either indifferent or don't care about homosexuality doesn't mean all of his are the same.

Coming out is, once again, a emotional thing, and I wouldn't be surprised that after telling them that he didn't post it they thought he was trying to jump back into the closet, thus they do the thoughtful thing and try to lure him out, and after much talking they get that he was in fact telling the truth about not being homosexual.

judging by how anal the guy is, i guarantee his facebook profile was private, as only friends/family could see, and while i understand your point, these are all VERY situational very TIMELY things you are talking about, not something that occurs day to day in activities, and while yes, just because my "circle of friends" (which most of the time aren't even close friends, usually it's a friend of a friend or some distant person i met once at a party) is cool with it, doesn't mean that they WON'T be cool with it, if your friends hammer down on you that hard about it, then you either have some super douchey friends or he misunderstood them doing typical immature jokes that usually ensue a status like that.

while i agree it can be an emotional thing, i have yet to see a single person come out on a facebook status actually be serious.

not saying i don't see your point, because i do, but i'm done debating about it, as my view point won't be wavered on something as effortless as this that doesn't affect anyone outside those few entities.

I'm not going to point it out, but you can always find a way to learn about a person on Facebook, even if private, if it ends up on one of your friends wall, it can still be tracked if their wall is open to the public, its a giant flaw in it, but isn't that huge of a issue.

Also, just because you haven't heard of something happening doesn't mean it doesn't happen any where else. I'm not arguing, I'm pointing out that its silly to think that because you've only seen people coming out on Facebook as a joke, doesn't mean someone didn't comet out on facebook seriously.

Also, people who come out on Facebook as a joke need to be slapped by a homosexual in my opinion, because its taking something serious for many and making a joke about it. If holocaust jokes aren't cool, I'm sure that I can be offended by people joking about coming out.

DVS BSTrD:
I'd be much more embarrassed explaining that I was too stupid to sign-off Facebook before turning in my phone.

Grey Carter:
He apparently isn't very fond of homosexuals.

"I feel I have been humiliated. My reputation has been tarnished," he said.

Yep, he's a moron alright.

"I've got to ask you something."
"Sure"
"Dude are you gay?"
"Nope."
"Oh, but your facebook?"
"Yeah, some guy at best buy."
"Oh, well glad we clarified before I asked you something."
"You just did?"
"...Yeah! That's uh, that's what I was gonna ask."

@The Hacked Guy - Really? Tarnished? Since when is what gender of adult you like to sex a good or a bad thing? That would be like judging someone based on their favorite kind of flavored tea...

theultimateend:

"Sure"
"Dude are you gay?"
"Nope."
"Oh, but your facebook?"
"You just did?"

@The Hacked Guy - Really? Tarnished? Since when is what gender of adult you like to sex a good or a bad thing? That would be like judging someone based on their favorite kind of flavored tea...

And now repeat that process to everyone close to you who thought you put out a heart felt confession.
Every. Single. Person.
Your mother. Your father. Your sister. Your cousin. Your grandparents. Your boss. The co-worker who just hugged you and is telling you about how it was when they came out.
Spend the time having to explain that to them.

You really shouldn't have to, should you? When I call my buddy a cock swallowing jiz trap his parents don't gasp having just learned that their son had been keeping the fact that he's gay a secret. They laugh because they know it's a joke. We're playing around.
What these people saw was something that IS NOT a joke. Repression is always bad. If you ever have to hide who you are, you are being wronged, by the world, and by yourself.
So coming out of the closet is a big thing. It means that not only did you accept who you are, but you are ready to be accepted as to who you are. It is emotional, and it is a big step because in the year 2012 we still show great intolerance for gays.

It's one thing to post, "Lol I is t3h gheyxorz', because everyone will know something is stupid.
But writing, "Here it is, I am gay. It feels great to finally say it" is something ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.

Doctor Glocktor:
Don't like false rumors = homophobe.

Stay classy, Escapist.

The escapist could easily be sued for that and lose.

Calling someone out as a homophobe is textbook libel.

"A published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation."

This is both published, false, and could be damaging to his reputation, If he loses customers or friends because they see this and dont want to deal with a homophobic person...

So the guy got "fraped", big deal. My sisters (with the encouragement of my missus) did it to me when I stupidly left my phone on a pub table with them while I noshed out for a quiet smoke. I just doled out suitable abuse to those involved all over Facebook and dealt with it in the puerile, juvenile manner that a frape always demands.

Damage to reputations: 0

Laughs had at each others expense: +9000!

You'd think that homosexuals and their supporters, of all people, would be more sympathetic to the plight of a guy who has had the question of his sexuality dragged out into the public space for no other reason than petty human viciousness. From the anti-homosexual religious groups all the way through to the transgendered people that harass heterosexuals for not wanting to sleep with post-op patients, all of these people need to mind their own business about the choices other people make about their own sexuality.

The same people who are bagging this bloke would be in a vein-popping beserker rage if the same thing had happened to someone from the LGBT community.

LastGreatBlasphemer:

And now repeat that process to everyone close to you who thought you put out a heart felt confession.
Every. Single. Person.

1 comment on the facebook status:

"Fuck, got Fraped... Not gay everyone."

Or something to that effect.

Everyone close to you has now been told.

Every. Single. Person.

Paradoxrifts:
You'd think that homosexuals and their supporters, of all people, would be more sympathetic to the plight of a guy who has had the question of his sexuality dragged out into the public space for no other reason than petty human viciousness. From the anti-homosexual religious groups all the way through to the transgendered people that harass heterosexuals for not wanting to sleep with post-op patients, all of these people need to mind their own business about the choices other people make about their own sexuality.

The same people who are bagging this bloke would be in a vein-popping beserker rage if the same thing had happened to someone from the LGBT community.

When you are a teenager being bullied at school for being gay if you are actually straight is almost as bad as being bullied at school for being gay when you are actually gay.

I'm glad the employee was fired.

Aprilgold:

gmaverick019:

Aprilgold:

While sewing is extreme, and I'm not arguing against that, doesn't mean that it isn't out of the question. He could sue the person for the written version of slander which I can't remember the term for at the moment if it actually caused some real trouble for the man. Hell, it is a felony in multiple places, so he could still very well make that guys life a living hell.

But on topic once more, just because a state is nice doesn't mean that terrible shiz doesn't happen in it. Germany is a nice place but lest we forget that is the place where a dictator decided to kill all the Jews and rose to power. He may have been friends with very highly religious people, and since this is America, most likely insane Catholic people who most likely think that Homosexuality is not only a sin, but a plague that can be vaccinated.

As I said earlier, as well as many others, Facebook profiles can be seen by everybody and certain people will want certain things from a worker. Could have lost a buisness oppurtunity if he was looking for a new job and the dude who was manager there saw his profile, saw he was gay and said no. I can't work at Mcdonalds and rant about how much Mcdonalds is a terrible place without at least raising one eyebrow in the work place. I can't be a priest and go onto my Facebook account and say how much I love to rape children without getting slapped in the face while teaching prayer to said children.

Yes, extreme it may seem, but I wouldn't be honestly surprised if he had to seriously walk people through that he is in fact not gay. Just because your circle of friends are either indifferent or don't care about homosexuality doesn't mean all of his are the same.

Coming out is, once again, a emotional thing, and I wouldn't be surprised that after telling them that he didn't post it they thought he was trying to jump back into the closet, thus they do the thoughtful thing and try to lure him out, and after much talking they get that he was in fact telling the truth about not being homosexual.

judging by how anal the guy is, i guarantee his facebook profile was private, as only friends/family could see, and while i understand your point, these are all VERY situational very TIMELY things you are talking about, not something that occurs day to day in activities, and while yes, just because my "circle of friends" (which most of the time aren't even close friends, usually it's a friend of a friend or some distant person i met once at a party) is cool with it, doesn't mean that they WON'T be cool with it, if your friends hammer down on you that hard about it, then you either have some super douchey friends or he misunderstood them doing typical immature jokes that usually ensue a status like that.

while i agree it can be an emotional thing, i have yet to see a single person come out on a facebook status actually be serious.

not saying i don't see your point, because i do, but i'm done debating about it, as my view point won't be wavered on something as effortless as this that doesn't affect anyone outside those few entities.

I'm not going to point it out, but you can always find a way to learn about a person on Facebook, even if private, if it ends up on one of your friends wall, it can still be tracked if their wall is open to the public, its a giant flaw in it, but isn't that huge of a issue.

Also, just because you haven't heard of something happening doesn't mean it doesn't happen any where else. I'm not arguing, I'm pointing out that its silly to think that because you've only seen people coming out on Facebook as a joke, doesn't mean someone didn't comet out on facebook seriously.

Also, people who come out on Facebook as a joke need to be slapped by a homosexual in my opinion, because its taking something serious for many and making a joke about it. If holocaust jokes aren't cool, I'm sure that I can be offended by people joking about coming out.

while that is true, i wasn't saying that it couldn't be found, just saying that it's not like it was open to the public, so they would've had to actively dug for that and not just see it as they pleased.

and yes, that's fine, my point was, just because something is randomly posted as a facebook status, it shouldn't be taken as "cold hard the fact of god", and if someone does take it like that, they need a quick reality check, as people say stupid shit all the time (check any PR department in any company ever made, period.)

that was my only point, because i do understand your view and not saying its wrong or that i disagree with it, just kind of "adding" to it a bit.

captain_death:

Paradoxrifts:

When you are a teenager being bullied at school for being gay if you are actually straight is almost as bad as being bullied at school for being gay when you are actually gay.

I'm glad the employee was fired.

I sincerely doubt that there is any difference in the suicide statistics of young teenagers if the people verbally, physically and sexually harassing and abusing them are right about their choice of sexual orientation.

Doctor Glocktor:
Don't like false rumors = homophobe.

Stay classy, Escapist.

This. I'm not a homophobe, but I'd be pissed off if someone posted a coming-out message of my facebook. It's a hell of a lot less subtle than the traditional "interested in men" change, so a lot more people see it, and the effect is much bigger. The guy has apparently had his sexuality questioned before and is sick of this sort of thing, what's wrong or homophobic about that? Sexual orientation is a serious, touchy issue.

In other news, this sounds about on-par for a Best Buy employee. I'd say something like "remind me not to ever go the Best Buy", but I'd rather shoot myself in the head than have to go to BB, much less bring something in for servicing.

gmaverick019:
granted the best buy employee is a complete douchebag, especially doing that to someone you probably don't even know

however, simply saying "that wasn't me, phone was used by someone else, i'm not gay" is pretty dang easy....seeking legal issues? you kidding me? you must live in some very very strange world, as that is almost offensive in itself to take that much offense to it, regardless.

Depends.

If you're in a managerial or other position where being in control and having an impeccable performance is of prime importance, a simple prank like this can end a career... and it's not about being gay or inappropriately open and dumb, it's about handing your credentials - which might involve business-related ones - to some unknown third party.

A lot of big companies couldn't care less about your being gay, but they still don't want you to openly promote gang-banging or humping underage virgins to get rid of AIDS.

I wouldn't want to have any new ludicrous laws installed, but I would certainly enjoy seeing the prankster spanked a bit more legally, as he obviously hasn't grown up enough yet to be allowed anywhere near paying customers and their personal data.

Who is Gordon Bennett?

Harbinger_:
With the near global acceptance for homosexuality these days this will be thrown out in court. As soon as he mentions that he doesn't like homosexuals the court will be instantly against him.

Global acceptance? Homosexuality is the number one reason children are disowned by their parents in America. Most states allow employers to fire employees based on their sexual orientation, and a year ago being outed as gay would have automatically gotten you discharged from the military. There is still a sizable portion of the US population that thinks homosexuality should be a felony. A bill that would help protect women against domestic violence is currently being held up in Congress because that bill would also help lesbians. Even if you are in no way a homophobe, people thinking you're gay can seriously damage your reputation.

This guy has every right to sue. Anybody who thinks this is no big deal is not aware of how bad gay people still have it in this country. Hopefully he was able to convince his friends and family it was just a Facebook prank.

Headdrivehardscrew:

gmaverick019:
granted the best buy employee is a complete douchebag, especially doing that to someone you probably don't even know

however, simply saying "that wasn't me, phone was used by someone else, i'm not gay" is pretty dang easy....seeking legal issues? you kidding me? you must live in some very very strange world, as that is almost offensive in itself to take that much offense to it, regardless.

Depends.

If you're in a managerial or other position where being in control and having an impeccable performance is of prime importance, a simple prank like this can end a career... and it's not about being gay or inappropriately open and dumb, it's about handing your credentials - which might involve business-related ones - to some unknown third party.

A lot of big companies couldn't care less about your being gay, but they still don't want you to openly promote gang-banging or humping underage virgins to get rid of AIDS.

I wouldn't want to have any new ludicrous laws installed, but I would certainly enjoy seeing the prankster spanked a bit more legally, as he obviously hasn't grown up enough yet to be allowed anywhere near paying customers and their personal data.

Who is Gordon Bennett?

while this is 100% true, I think legally he would have a much more trying case if he had not in fact been logged in on facebook in his phone and actually logged off of it, if i was going to hand my phone/itouch/etc.. to someone, i'd make damn sure everything would be wiped that can be used (outside of my contacts obviously) before such. (NOT saying that gave the best buy guy open rights to it, just saying that obviously would've prevented all of this. it's like me leaving all my sidewalk chalk outside after drawing a bunch outside, there is bound to be that one random person that would walk by and draw a big penis over everything)

and gordon bennett? i have no idea...

gmaverick019:

while this is 100% true, I think legally he would have a much more trying case if he had not in fact been logged in on facebook in his phone and actually logged off of it, if i was going to hand my phone/itouch/etc.. to someone, i'd make damn sure everything would be wiped that can be used (outside of my contacts obviously) before such. (NOT saying that gave the best buy guy open rights to it, just saying that obviously would've prevented all of this. it's like me leaving all my sidewalk chalk outside after drawing a bunch outside, there is bound to be that one random person that would walk by and draw a big penis over everything)

and gordon bennett? i have no idea...

Aye. Stupid is as stupid does. The problem, though, is that you don't want this to happen a thousand or a million times. We need an idiot case zero, we need a precedent to cut down a bit on the boatloads of crap that could otherwise pretty much instantly shut down our elaborate systems of creating law and order.

Rule #1.1: If you have a problem with your business phone/device, hand it to the IT folks/tech guys at work.

Rule #1: No matter what device, no matter who you hand it to, back up everything and delete everything on the device itself. If you skip this step, you pretty much deserve everything that follows.

Gordon Bennett was my captcha. Googled it and found enough material to keep me busy on the next rainy night. Thanks, Chaos!

Darkmantle:
wow, so much drama. I hope he doesn't play CoD or his reputation would be "tarnished" several times a match by people calling him faggot.

Um... bit of a difference between called gay, and having someone log onto your Facebook account and post that you are gay.

Note to self: Delete any social apps and texts if I trade-in my current phone.

Grey Carter:
Denver resident, Rich Dewberry, took his mobile phone to Best Buy to have it repaired and was given a new phone.

"I feel I have been humiliated. My reputation has been tarnished," he said.

A lot of people don't know that there's better places to take stuff for repair than Best Buy. It will be okay.

This is going to be a hard case for this man and I'm sure that there's going to tons, and tons of libel , lots of late nights pouring over case files . Just as soon as he finds a lawyer to take him on... Butt sex.

LastGreatBlasphemer:

theultimateend:

"Sure"
"Dude are you gay?"
"Nope."
"Oh, but your facebook?"
"You just did?"

Every. Single. Person.
Your mother. Your father. Your sister. Your cousin. Your grandparents. Your boss. The co-worker who just hugged you and is telling you about how it was when they came out.
Spend the time having to explain that to them.

You really shouldn't have to, should you? When I call my buddy a cock swallowing jiz trap his parents don't gasp having just learned that their son had been keeping the fact that he's gay a secret. They laugh because they know it's a joke. We're playing around.
What these people saw was something that IS NOT a joke. Repression is always bad. If you ever have to hide who you are, you are being wronged, by the world, and by yourself.
So coming out of the closet is a big thing. It means that not only did you accept who you are, but you are ready to be accepted as to who you are. It is emotional, and it is a big step because in the year 2012 we still show great intolerance for gays.

It's one thing to post, "Lol I is t3h gheyxorz', because everyone will know something is stupid.
But writing, "Here it is, I am gay. It feels great to finally say it" is something ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.

Talking to the wrong guy.

I've had this happen to me in my life. Almost everyone thought I was gay because of a prank.

Did it bother me? No. Because being gay wouldn't be something to be bothered about.

Be like someone posting that I like drinking alcohol or playing COD. I'd just have to tell them no if they were curious.

People put sexuality on a pedestal as if it is some special thing, its not. Edit: To me.

blalien:

Harbinger_:
With the near global acceptance for homosexuality these days this will be thrown out in court. As soon as he mentions that he doesn't like homosexuals the court will be instantly against him.

Global acceptance? Homosexuality is the number one reason children are disowned by their parents in America. Most states allow employers to fire employees based on their sexual orientation, and a year ago being outed as gay would have automatically gotten you discharged from the military. There is still a sizable portion of the US population that thinks homosexuality should be a felony. A bill that would help protect women against domestic violence is currently being held up in Congress because that bill would also help lesbians. Even if you are in no way a homophobe, people thinking you're gay can seriously damage your reputation.

This guy has every right to sue. Anybody who thinks this is no big deal is not aware of how bad gay people still have it in this country. Hopefully he was able to convince his friends and family it was just a Facebook prank.

When you speak of Global progress it is presumed you don't include America.

See the Metric system for further details. ;) Edit: Speaking from experience as an American. <<

The Hungry Samurai:

lacktheknack:
Your reputation wasn't tarnished until you said that. -_-

I'm Facebook friends with someone who left her Facebook open and the "hilarious prankster" wrote a status about being a child molester, but that whole hubbub lasted a full day before she re-logged in, deleted the status and shouted down the guy who did it (BECAUSE SERIOUSLY, WTF). Reputation damage: 0.

This story has only proved to me further that some people need to stop taking themselves so seriously. A simple "I'm gay, ha ha" on your Facebook wall isn't anything close to the worst thing they could have done, he should have ended with a general complaint and not pursued legal action.

While I'm not sure how fair it is for this article to almost paint this dude as a homophobe, a persons sexual identity is kind of a sensitive topic. He could have been put in an awkward position in front friends family and co workers and the person doing it was a representative of a corporation that needed to maintain the trust so that they could conduct business like this. Maybe this time this guy just changed someone's Facebook status, but in the end it still pretty much amounts to identity theft. I think a lawsuit is fine IMHO.

Indeed. While there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, not everybody feels the same. He might know people in real life who are violently homophobic, or strictly religious family who might not take issue with it.

Obviously he shouldn't have to worry about things like that, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Darkmantle:
wow, so much drama. I hope he doesn't play CoD or his reputation would be "tarnished" several times a match by people calling him faggot.

Um... bit of a difference between called gay, and having someone log onto your Facebook account and post that you are gay.

Note to self: Delete any social apps and texts if I trade-in my current phone.

no difference, all he has to do is leave a comment on that post saying he left his phone somewhere, or whatever, and no one will care.

making such a big deal about this just makes him seem like he's trying to cover up his homosexuality. There's no other reason this should cause him this much distress.

either that or he just wants a reason to sue, so he can getz teh monies. That's just how I see it.

blalien:

Harbinger_:

And if the court rules in his favor then it can be construed that the court isn't in favor of homosexuality and the press/media have a field day. Like I said thrown out of court.

-Chuckles madly at the article and the subsequent raging-

It's fair to say that a dude who thinks his reputation is tarnished because he was called gay is rather lacking in neurons, and possibly sensible family/friends.
Extra evidence, in a time when identity theft is a major problem not signing out of apps like facebook when the phone leaves your possession is rather negligent, but it always happens because people are lazy.

Also, if we look at this basically, man A doesn't log out of Facebook, man B does the culturally accepted thing of post funny message on wall, man A gets offended so calls for man B to be sacked, man B is sacked, man A feeling this isn't enough may sue man B.
In a time when huge swathes of the US/UK/Europe are without jobs/homes etc, can we have a bit of perspective before throwing words like "vindictive" around??

To get someone sacked in the present economic climate is far more vindictive than posting an 'I am gay, I am happy.' post on facebook.

As a much lesser point:
I was repeatedly asked through the entirity of secondary school, if I was a socialist/communist by cretins who thought it was a slur (thank you America, for that little gem :D), as that was a rumour going round the school, and even now 8 years later still have people asking me, when am out drinking, "So, were you really a socialist when we were in school?"
Things like this aren't traumatising they are bloody hilarious as it shows other peoples idiotic ideas and prejudices.

The Hungry Samurai:

lacktheknack:
Your reputation wasn't tarnished until you said that. -_-

I'm Facebook friends with someone who left her Facebook open and the "hilarious prankster" wrote a status about being a child molester, but that whole hubbub lasted a full day before she re-logged in, deleted the status and shouted down the guy who did it (BECAUSE SERIOUSLY, WTF). Reputation damage: 0.

This story has only proved to me further that some people need to stop taking themselves so seriously. A simple "I'm gay, ha ha" on your Facebook wall isn't anything close to the worst thing they could have done, he should have ended with a general complaint and not pursued legal action.

While I'm not sure how fair it is for this article to almost paint this dude as a homophobe, a persons sexual identity is kind of a sensitive topic. He could have been put in an awkward position in front friends family and co workers and the person doing it was a representative of a corporation that needed to maintain the trust so that they could conduct business like this. Maybe this time this guy just changed someone's Facebook status, but in the end it still pretty much amounts to identity theft. I think a lawsuit is fine IMHO.

See, I agree with this guy. No one should have too explain too EVERYONE they know that they are not gay/strait/*insert embarrassing or private thing here*. He should find out the specific ex-employees name and sue him only. Only sue Best Buy if they wont give up the former employees name.

Grey Carter:
snip

Shame on you for making it sound like the guy is a homophobe.

If the person was gay and outed as strait and did the same thing, Would you write it the they were a heterophobe? If the fake post was racist/anti-whateverist and the person did the same thing, How would you write that??

You need to think these things through. If you were *insert* and someone told everyone *insert embarrassing lie*, while impersonating you, would be fine with it?

For me, I think people in our society take lies far to nicely. Back in the 2010 senatorial race where the democrats 'creatively edited' a speech the republican candidate gave, making it look like he said some very rude things, I honestly believe that candidate should have sued. I lost a little respect for that republican because he did not sue. Heck, I dislike 90% of politicians because so many lie. I swear, lies will lead us too America falling just like Rome did 1200 years ago.

All a person truly has is their word. 50-100 years ago if you told the bank you would repay your loan, that is what happened. They mainly had contracts so everyone could remember, years later, what they agreed too. I really do dislike dishonest people, I do not do business with them, I do not hire them, 3 confirmed strikes and you are fired from my service.

Sidiron:
snip

Ya, and hindsight is 20/20.

Gilhelmi:

Sidiron:
snip

Apologies if this sounds like a stupid question, but how so?

Idlemessiah:

He's currently exploring his legal options with his attorney. That is not a euphemism.

Yeah I lost it right there.

OT
The employee: Shouldn't have done it considering they didn't know the guy, even if the guy was a dick it's not worth getting fired for.

The customer: Should be more careful with his stuff and maybe get a better sense of humour.

And if the employee did more then that? He was fired before the victim made his complaint. That tells me this was not a first offense. What else did he do?

Also, hindsight and 20/20. My internet browser saves all my passwords, as do many other people who also use the internet. I am lucky that if my computer repair shop did this to me (or anyone else) they would forced to shutdown in less then 6 months. Why? because I live in a small town and everyone I know (1/2 the town) and everyone they know (other 1/2) would stop doing business with someone they could not trust on their computers.

Harbinger_:

blalien:

Harbinger_:

And if the court rules in his favor then it can be construed that the court isn't in favor of homosexuality and the press/media have a field day. Like I said thrown out of court.

Quite frankly anyone who perceives a court as being anti homosexual because they take this case is a flat out idiot. There is a huge difference between being anti homosexual and being anti data tampering.

Sidiron:

Gilhelmi:

Sidiron:
snip

Apologies if this sounds like a stupid question, but how so?

Extra evidence, in a time when identity theft is a major problem not signing out of apps like facebook when the phone leaves your possession is rather negligent, but it always happens because people are lazy.

My computer, and websites like the Escapist Magazine, lets the user stay logged in. Even if I close the program, the passwords are still saved. I can not even remember my password to most sites because I use that feature. You say lazy, but why? It is my computer/device. I use a log-in password and I am looking to install a boot-password. I should be able to trust people not to make me look stupid if I give them those two things. If I can not, then I do not do business with them/they are not my friend.

FelixG:

Harbinger_:

blalien:

Quite frankly anyone who perceives a court as being anti homosexual because they take this case is a flat out idiot. There is a huge difference between being anti homosexual and being anti data tampering.

Though the news media in most of the world, could be called a flat-out idiot. So he does have a point.

The media (ALL media) lies so much, I can hardly stand too watch it anymore. I never know if they are lying, telling half-truth, or (on rare occasion) telling the truth.

Gilhelmi:
Also, hindsight and 20/20. My internet browser saves all my passwords, as do many other people who also use the internet. I am lucky that if my computer repair shop did this to me (or anyone else) they would forced to shutdown in less then 6 months. Why? because I live in a small town and everyone I know (1/2 the town) and everyone they know (other 1/2) would stop doing business with someone they could not trust on their computers.

That is true, but this is a problem with, as I said, the laziness of human beings. But instead of accepting the fact that I'm an idiot for leaving all my personal data open to inspection/tampering, because face it the intention and the result were not malicious nor really detrimental to the victim. If he had used the access to commit fraud or pornography offences for example, this would be a different matter.
Also I am not condoning the action that was perpetrated merely stating, again, that when taken as part of the big picture; getting someone sacked over such a trivial thing and trying to sue over it, is plain pathetic and vindicitive.

Sidiron:

Gilhelmi:

That is true, but this is a problem with, as I said, the laziness of human beings. But instead of accepting the fact that I'm an idiot for leaving all my personal data open to inspection/tampering, because face it the intention and the result were not malicious nor really detrimental to the victim. If he had used the access to commit fraud or pornography offenses for example, this would be a different matter.
Also I am not condoning the action that was perpetrated merely stating, again, that when taken as part of the big picture; getting someone sacked over such a trivial thing and trying to sue over it, is plain pathetic and vindictive.

I guess it comes down to my dislike of lying. I view it as an assault against society and one of the major causes for the decline of civilization.

So my final word is this. Vindictive, yes but only if the victim asks for far too much money, otherwise No. $15,000-$20,000 tops for the suit. much more then that is ridiculous. Pathetic, No because it comes down too personal honor and my personal word, My word is my bond. If I promise to do something, it will be done. If I say something it is the truth to the best of my knowledge.

Sidiron:

Gilhelmi:

That is true, but this is a problem with, as I said, the laziness of human beings. But instead of accepting the fact that I'm an idiot for leaving all my personal data open to inspection/tampering, because face it the intention and the result were not malicious nor really detrimental to the victim. If he had used the access to commit fraud or pornography offences for example, this would be a different matter.
Also I am not condoning the action that was perpetrated merely stating, again, that when taken as part of the big picture; getting someone sacked over such a trivial thing and trying to sue over it, is plain pathetic and vindicitive.

Suing someone for invading your privacy is pathetic and vindictive?

Lets not forget that this asshole employee had full access to all of his messages sent and received as well.

The age where someone standing up for themselves after being wronged is considered "pathetic and vindictive" makes me sad.

This guy sounds like a huge closet gay.
For anyone to care about it that much to have to explain himself to everyone...

Gilhelmi:
I guess it comes down to my dislike of lying. I view it as an assault against society and one of the major causes for the decline of civilization.

So my final word is this. Vindictive, yes but only if the victim asks for far too much money, otherwise No. $15,000-$20,000 tops for the suit. much more then that is ridiculous. Pathetic, No because it comes down too personal honor and my personal word, My word is my bond. If I promise to do something, it will be done. If I say something it is the truth to the best of my knowledge.

I doff my hat to you, honestly, using your word as your bond and holding promises in such high esteem is a particular noble ambition, and one I share.
However, I seek to differ when it comes to the prospect of reimbursement or as we should really call it retribution. It is truly vindictive, because it is "showing a strong or unreasoning desire for revenge, often with a desire to hurt."
In a country where a record 88.4 million people are considered "not in the labor force" and the percentage of the working age population actually in work is the lowest since December 1981, I do think that sacking someone and then suing after that, is vindictive and an over the top response.

To FelixG, this "asshole employee" may have commited a transgression but as things are not nice absolutes we look at the results and implications, which were to be blunt fuck all, it didn't cause the poor victim to lose his house or struggle in terms of finances, because if it did then the gay communtiy that everyone seems to enjoy denigrating so much would be up in arms about that, becuase he would have been a victim of homophobic discrimination. But even here it would not be the fault of the twonk who did the 'fraping'.

Let me reitterate, the guy was obviously a twit for doing it, he probably did it for a giggle, and am sure he kicks himself now. But it isn't this great invasion that you are making it out to be, if you are concerned about that, get irrate at your damn governments, because I can assure you that they will take more glee and benefit from invading your privacy than some "asshole employee" behind a sodding counter.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here