Best Buy Employee "Outs" Straight Guy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Sidiron:

To FelixG, this "asshole employee" may have commited a transgression but as things are not nice absolutes we look at the results and implications, which were to be blunt fuck all, it didn't cause the poor victim to lose his house or struggle in terms of finances, because if it did then the gay communtiy that everyone seems to enjoy denigrating so much would be up in arms about that, becuase he would have been a victim of homophobic discrimination. But even here it would not be the fault of the twonk who did the 'fraping'.

Instead he has been labeled as a homophobe because he doesn't want to be identified as gay and all sorts of people are calling him names because they think he is some kind of asshole because of it.

Though it is quite revealing that you have no issue with people invading your privacy. Guess its a symptom of todays youth.

FelixG:

Harbinger_:

blalien:

Global acceptance? Homosexuality is the number one reason children are disowned by their parents in America. Most states allow employers to fire employees based on their sexual orientation, and a year ago being outed as gay would have automatically gotten you discharged from the military. There is still a sizable portion of the US population that thinks homosexuality should be a felony. A bill that would help protect women against domestic violence is currently being held up in Congress because that bill would also help lesbians. Even if you are in no way a homophobe, people thinking you're gay can seriously damage your reputation.

This guy has every right to sue. Anybody who thinks this is no big deal is not aware of how bad gay people still have it in this country. Hopefully he was able to convince his friends and family it was just a Facebook prank.

And if the court rules in his favor then it can be construed that the court isn't in favor of homosexuality and the press/media have a field day. Like I said thrown out of court.

Quite frankly anyone who perceives a court as being anti homosexual because they take this case is a flat out idiot. There is a huge difference between being anti homosexual and being anti data tampering.

And the media would never in the slightest do anything like that to... oh I don't know... make sales?
Even if it's inaccurate, controversy sells.

Y'know, the vast majority of us here may not have any issues with anyone else's sexuality, but we don't know that about this gentleman's friends and family. It's far from impossible that there are people in his life who wouldn't understand that an account could be mis-used this way, and even people who would "unfriend" him upon the revelation.

He has every right to be angry. And someone who would play such a potentially harmful "prank" on a customer shouldn't be allowed to remain in a position to do so. You might think being believed a homosexual shouldn't have a negative impact on someone's life, but don't in your belief misunderstand that it doesn't; we're not there yet, not by a long shot.

Draconalis:

martyrdrebel27:
asexual people...

People cannot reproduce without the aid of another. People are not Asexual.

i used the word wrong, but i stand by the logic i used. if something is atypical, it's not typical.

the a- prefix means "not" or "un" basically. my logic was Asexual is Non-sexual.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/asexual?s=t

and there's a dictionary.com entry to support that. so next time you correct someone, try not to be wrong.

EDIT: i love the smell of victory in the morning. (not that you would know that smell.)

FelixG:
Instead he has been labeled as a homophobe because he doesn't want to be identified as gay and all sorts of people are calling him names because they think he is some kind of asshole because of it.

Though it is quite revealing that you have no issue with people invading your privacy. Guess its a symptom of todays youth.

Please refrain from the sneering condescension, as I am hardly the voice of "today's youth" neither am I saying that I have no issue with people invading my privacy, as you would note if you read the entirity of my post and didn't wish to mis-represent it.
I would be interested at what your advanced level of psychoanalysis reveals about my approach to privacy, most genuinely.

I do not think he is an arsehole because he finds being identified as gay as a slur on his reputation, I find the idea/comment lacking judgement and/or a solid supportive social network, but that could possibly be a problem endemic with the youths of today?

Similarly getting bogged down in the minutiae of privacy protection is slightly problematic when the governments of the west are trying (and somewhat succeeding) to erode civil liberties faster than it is making people homeless, but evidently fraping is breaching some sacresanct imperative and is the true sign that the world is degrading round our ears.

Apologies, for being so deluded and mis-guided, and if I may I will take my leave and let you administer your teachings to the rest.

"..one wasted summer spent trying to sign up a friend for an al-Qaeda terrorist cell"

Am I the only one that finds that potentially worse?

"He's currently exploring his legal options with his attorney. That is not a euphemism."

If it was that would be the greatest euphemism I've heard all year. I'm "exploring" my "legal options" with my "attorney", wink, wink.

Have a heart, the dude got fired! Isn't that enough? Oh well, it was a dick move.

Surely he could just say, "sorry, got fraped" and laugh it off?

Alandoril:

Possibly, or half the people who read, "i got fraped" will see it as a go-to when he tried to backpedal when coming out didn't work out so well.
It's the internet. Saying you got fraped is just as believable as as anything else you could say.

Endocrom:
"..one wasted summer spent trying to sign up a friend for an al-Qaeda terrorist cell"

Am I the only one that finds that potentially worse?

Not to mention that everything you do once you start high school sicks with you, permanently. Ten years down the line applying for a job a boss will ask why he applied for al-qaeda.

Hats off to the employee. People who hold bigoted attitudes like that deserve whatever shit life throws at them.

I think another important point to consider is that the bloke handed his phone over in good faith and his trust in the company was abused. And if the employee was willingr to go into his facebook account, what else would have been willing to do? for instance, if a banking app had been left open and the employee had messed with his finances, would he still be an over-reacting arsehole? I suspect not.

BabyRaptor:
Hats off to the employee. People who hold bigoted attitudes like that deserve whatever shit life throws at them.

How is the man bigoted?
He never said anything to imply that he dislikes gays, however he does not want to be identified as one.
As rattusvirtualis said, he handed over his possesions in good trust, and this trust was abused.
How does one become a homophobe from saying that one IS not gay and does not want to be outed, since one is not?
Because I am not gay and have no sexual interest in men whatsoever, yet some friends of mine are gay. Am I a homophobe now, for not wanting to be called gay, not being gay and not wanting to sleep with men?

BabyRaptor:

It is NOT bigotted to not like be labelled as something one is not.

Mr.Wizard:

Harbinger_:
With the near global acceptance for homosexuality these days this will be thrown out in court. As soon as he mentions that he doesn't like homosexuals the court will be instantly against him.

Where? Where is he actually saying that he doesn't like homosexuals? Admittedly the link to the source was a flash video so I haven't seen the original video, but I can't see anything quoted in this article that makes me think the man is homophobic. All I see is that being implied by the author of the story.

"Now the "sign in as someone else and make them say embarrassing stuff" prank has been a mainstay of pubescent jokery for years - I recall one wasted summer spent trying to sign up a friend for an al-Qaeda terrorist cell - but Dewberry isn't laughing. He apparently isn't very fond of homosexuals."

Right there :P

arc1991:

Mr.Wizard:

Harbinger_:
With the near global acceptance for homosexuality these days this will be thrown out in court. As soon as he mentions that he doesn't like homosexuals the court will be instantly against him.

Where? Where is he actually saying that he doesn't like homosexuals? Admittedly the link to the source was a flash video so I haven't seen the original video, but I can't see anything quoted in this article that makes me think the man is homophobic. All I see is that being implied by the author of the story.

"Now the "sign in as someone else and make them say embarrassing stuff" prank has been a mainstay of pubescent jokery for years - I recall one wasted summer spent trying to sign up a friend for an al-Qaeda terrorist cell - but Dewberry isn't laughing. He apparently isn't very fond of homosexuals."

Right there :P

No, THERE the escapist says that he isn't very fond of homosexuals.
Show me where Dewberry HIMSELF said that he dislikes homosexuals.

Some people are just really uptight.

Huh...so we find out the guy is absent-minded, then we find out the employee is immature, then we find out that the guy is intolerant of homosexuals. We don't know the employee's name, but we know the guy's name. Who comes off worse, I wonder.

rattusvirtualis:

BabyRaptor:

It is however pretty bigoted to call someone gay with the intent of hurting someone. Looking at the big picture Baby raptor may want to put his hat back on.

The Hungry Samurai:

rattusvirtualis:

BabyRaptor:

It is however pretty bigoted to call someone gay with the intent of hurting someone. Looking at the big picture Baby raptor may want to put his hat back on.

Eh? I believe Baby Raptor was calling the customer bigotted, not the employee.

EDITED: My bad... Ignore me :-)

MeChaNiZ3D:
Huh...so we find out the guy is absent-minded, then we find out the employee is immature, then we find out that the guy is intolerant of homosexuals. We don't know the employee's name, but we know the guy's name. Who comes off worse, I wonder.

Did we read the same article? I still don't see where the customer is shown as intolerant to anyone, except the employee/company that abused his trust.

martyrdrebel27:

i used the word wrong

Yes you did, glad you can admit it.

For the record. Humans have sexual organs and genders. The "No sex" in that definition applies to gender, not the act of making naughty. It is a word that defines a form of reproduction, that is the meaning of the word.

Next time you want to rebuttal in a defensive way, make sure you know what your talking about.

Edit:

Ah, definition number 2 for the Unabridged Dictionary supports your claim... there's a reason I don't ever read the Unabridged definitions... it defines how people use words wrong. I do not acknowledge sources that use words incorrectly.

LastGreatBlasphemer:

Alandoril:

Possibly, or half the people who read, "i got fraped" will see it as a go-to when he tried to backpedal when coming out didn't work out so well.
It's the internet. Saying you got fraped is just as believable as as anything else you could say.

Bullshit.

People get fraped all the time, nobody ever GENUINELY believes that, if someone has a status saying "I am gay", followed shortly by a "Sorry guys, not gay - got fraped", then they're just backpedalling on a 'coming out' that didn't go too well.

Indeed, of the two people I've seen come out (genuinely) on facebook, both had to actually insist, repeatedly, that they were in fact, gay, and that they had not simply been fraped, or done it for a laugh.

... I dunno, maybe I just know fewer retarded people than everyone else? (unlikely, I live in the British equivalent of the American deep-south (Yorkshire), where there are a lot of inbred retards).

BabyRaptor:

Enlighten me, if you don't mind, on why you hold this view in this case. "whatever shit life throws at them" is also a pretty general license for misfortune to befall people you disagree with.

OT: Best Buy is going to throw this employee under the bus, if there's anything more they can do to do so

Stu35:

LastGreatBlasphemer:

Alandoril:

Bullshit.

People get fraped all the time, nobody ever GENUINELY believes that, if someone has a status saying "I am gay", followed shortly by a "Sorry guys, not gay - got fraped", then they're just backpedalling on a 'coming out' that didn't go too well.

Indeed, of the two people I've seen come out (genuinely) on facebook, both had to actually insist, repeatedly, that they were in fact, gay, and that they had not simply been fraped, or done it for a laugh.

... I dunno, maybe I just know fewer retarded people than everyone else? (unlikely, I live in the British equivalent of the American deep-south (Yorkshire), where there are a lot of inbred retards).

So what you're saying is that everyone you know, knows that admitting to being gay is a joke?
Nobody in your area takes homosexuality seriously?
Think about that.

Sidiron:
smip

Let me reitterate, the guy was obviously a twit for doing it, he probably did it for a giggle, and am sure he kicks himself now. But it isn't this great invasion that you are making it out to be, if you are concerned about that, get irate at your damn governments, because I can assure you that they will take more glee and benefit from invading your privacy than some "asshole employee" behind a sodding counter.

I do get very irate at the government. The Patriot act was a B.A.D., bad idea. Warrentless searches/wiretaps is just plain unconstitutional and I am still waiting for someone with money to take the case all the way to the supreme court. I would but sadly I do not have the tens of millions it takes to take something to the supreme court.

LastGreatBlasphemer:

Stu35:

LastGreatBlasphemer:

Bullshit.

So what you're saying is that everyone you know, knows that admitting to being gay is a joke?
Nobody in your area takes homosexuality seriously?
Think about that.

What you're saying is, you feel homosexuality is something that shouldn't just be accepted as a part of every day life? That it's something which should be taken completely seriously, and not simply given the same treatment as everything else in life?

'Some people are gay, get over it.', is the general attitude round my way, just something to think about.

martyrdrebel27:

so next time you correct someone, try not to be wrong.

Next time you're right about the tiniest thing, try not to be smug.It's called manners.

Hmmm... The lady doth protest too much, methinks. Anyone who thinks about going to court over that has got to be overcompensating.

Personally, I'd consider it a great honor to be though of as homosexual, even if I was not.

TheRightToArmBears:

martyrdrebel27:

so next time you correct someone, try not to be wrong.

Next time you're right about the tiniest thing, try not to be smug.It's called manners.

Hmmm... The lady doth protest too much, methinks. Anyone who thinks about going to court over that has got to be overcompensating.

yeah, you're right. i was a little overly dickish.

Harbinger_:

blalien:

Harbinger_:

Global acceptance? Homosexuality is the number one reason children are disowned by their parents in America. Most states allow employers to fire employees based on their sexual orientation, and a year ago being outed as gay would have automatically gotten you discharged from the military. There is still a sizable portion of the US population that thinks homosexuality should be a felony. A bill that would help protect women against domestic violence is currently being held up in Congress because that bill would also help lesbians. Even if you are in no way a homophobe, people thinking you're gay can seriously damage your reputation.

This guy has every right to sue. Anybody who thinks this is no big deal is not aware of how bad gay people still have it in this country. Hopefully he was able to convince his friends and family it was just a Facebook prank.

And if the court rules in his favor then it can be construed that the court isn't in favor of homosexuality and the press/media have a field day. Like I said thrown out of court.

I just gave a long explanation on why being falsely accused of being gay could be personally harmful even if you have no bigotry towards gay people...

This guy who got hacked isn't stupid. hes not even bigoted (As far as any of us can tell). Hes perhaps a little bit dim in the technology department, but that's hardly the point.

First, to the people who think he dislikes homosexuality: No. Just...no. If a gay person had there's Facebook hacked and had a post that said, "Ive been confused all this time, being straight is the only way for me to be", that person would have a right to be pissed. That is not an insult to straight people, it simply demonstrates that having other people try to impose your sexual orientation on you is degrading and insulting. Its not about acceptance, its about being misrepresented. Personally, I don't want people to think i'm gay. Not because I have any problems with gay people, Im absolutely fine with homosexuality. I'm just not gay.

People take issue with him talking about his tarnished reputation. Is that bigoted? Well, lets ask this guys sweet but a bit old fashioned strict catholic grandmother, his girlfriend who he has been getting in fights with lately, his ex who nagged him about his bedroom performance who is apologizing for never understanding what the real cause was, his stupid acquaintance who avoids you in the locker room now, and his business client who may be a bit homophobic, but also has that huge account at your business where you make your living.

Should he have signed out of Facebook? You know, on my phone, I press the Facebook button and my account comes up. And Facebook is just one of many things I can go to, and my password is saved for ease of access. I can absolutely see myself getting a phone repaired without even thinking that the people doing the repairs might behave so unprofessionally. Besides, he was getting his phone repaired. It's not a phone, but when my computer died while it was under warentee, I sent it back to get fixed. If I was capable of turning the computer on to sign out of Facebook, I wouldn't have needed to get it fixed. Leaving his Facebook open is absolutely and completely reasonable.

Some people says that they have had there Facebooks hacked and were made to say stupid things and laugh. These people were your friends. They know you, and they know how you will react. Its very different to have a complete stranger that you are entrusting and PAYING for a job to betray you like that. Oh also, makes you wonder what other information these former employees snooped for.

Now the real issue is that this guy, like most Facebook users I imagine, doesn't seem to understand Facebook. Delete the post, and post a status saying something about how your phone was hacked. Problem solved. Sure, this guy should know that. Hes a bit dim in regards to facebook. Granted. But importantly, he has no obligation to be a Facebook expert to protect himself against professionals that he is paying. Just like if you break a guys nose by punching him in the face, "He has a weak nose" is not a defense.

The guy sounds like a dick. This story is 1000x better because of his over-reaction to the whole thing.

This guy needs to get, "Fraped" more.

CardinalPiggles:
Reminds of seeing a persons status saying 'I like cum, in my bum'. Everyone had a good laugh about it, including the guy that got FaceBook jacked. 'Ruined my reputation' though, that is quite laughable.

...sorry I had too.

On topic, this is why I don't use Facebook, I don't feel it's prudent to put your entire social life on the internet, too unstable yeah?

Xanadu84:
This guy who got hacked isn't stupid. hes not even bigoted (As far as any of us can tell). Hes perhaps a little bit dim in the technology department, but that's hardly the point... to end of post

Well said.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or