Browncoats Drive New Firefly Lego Set Toward Production - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Scars Unseen:

markljlewis:
Surprise surprise Lego said No....

LEGO produces toys for children. Therefore all LEGO products, regardless of age target, must be content-appropriate for this core audience. With this in mind we have decided that as cool as the Serenity model is, the Firefly TV show and Serenity film contain content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11. While we know this news will disappoint those who supported the project, we will not be producing this as a LEGO product.

Clearly these people did not watch Star Wars. Or Pirates of the Caribbean. Or Batman. Or the Indiana Jones movies. Or Lord of the Rings.

Oh please, it's got nothing to do with the source material. If one were to argue that, then the franchises you mentioned have blatant good vs evil themes, whereas Firefly likes to blur the lines. But also, those franchises are huge and LEGO probably got paid a lot of money by the companies who own those franchises. Firefly/Serenity was a epic fail when it was on TV, and while it does have a large cult following now, too much negativity has been focused towards FOX (Who never put much interest/focus into it in the first place) surrounding Firefly/Serenity. Firefly also still isn't as huge as the others, so there wouldn't be enough money in it for FOX to give LEGO money to make the toys, LEGO to make the money back and pay back FOX (Since like fuck FOX are not going to expect it back. It's an investment), and then both keep making money off it.

Scars Unseen:

markljlewis:
Surprise surprise Lego said No....

LEGO produces toys for children. Therefore all LEGO products, regardless of age target, must be content-appropriate for this core audience. With this in mind we have decided that as cool as the Serenity model is, the Firefly TV show and Serenity film contain content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11. While we know this news will disappoint those who supported the project, we will not be producing this as a LEGO product.

Clearly these people did not watch Star Wars. Or Pirates of the Caribbean. Or Batman. Or the Indiana Jones movies. Or Lord of the Rings.

Well, killing a ton of children is alright for LEGO as long as its Jedi children.

JaredXE:

Wait, so Firefly isn't age appropriate, but Star Wars, with it's blatant use of torture, assassination, genocide, murder of younglings, betrayal, domestic abuse and Jar Jar.......ALL OF THAT is age appropriate?

All of which totally showed up in the Lego-licensed products and the subsequent games, and none of which was lampshaded by heavily slapstick comedy routines, right?

...right? Because if they didn't, well then, it'd just seem like you're talking without thinking, and don't comprehend that they design their sets for children with a heavily comedic element. It seems rather unlikely that the same could be done with Firefly.

That is one ugly piece of ship.

If they're worried about their brand but have all these ideas for awesome adult sets everyone wants to buy... eventually won't it be cost effective to make an adult spin-off brand to house all these ideas.

fix-the-spade:
I want Wash in Lego

Never happen. It's not cost-effective to produce a new lego body with a hole in its chest for just one character

On topic, I agree with lego's position on this
As much as we all love playing with lego's, they are CHILDREN'S TOYS
Even the "teen" market legos are really directed at middle schoolers.
Firefly is a messed up show.
Better to just get the schematics and build it yourself, instead of complaining the set isnt official

That said, no one sell this to Megabloks. I've had to betray my principles already for Halo bricksets, don't make me sink lower than i have!

I was playing with some Avengers Lego sets that I just bought (yeahhhh) and thought about the Firefly set thing I heard about a while back

came here to get on it annd gorammit :[

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or