The Old Republic Population Shrinking

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Doctor Proctor:

Capitano Segnaposto:
Meh, I like the game and I will continue to play it. To hell with the haters.

As will I...

Amen, brothers.

Capitano Segnaposto:

You don't need to quote the entire news article.

animehermit:

ResonanceSD:
snip

keep hyping, reality is gonna hit faster for GW2 than any other MMO to ever come out.

It's free to play, mate. That is the best part about it. You buy it, then you never have to spend another penny on it. I'd prefer a mediocre ftp game over a good p2p game any day.

kortin:

animehermit:

ResonanceSD:
snip

keep hyping, reality is gonna hit faster for GW2 than any other MMO to ever come out.

It's free to play, mate. That is the best part about it. You buy it, then you never have to spend another penny on it. I'd prefer a mediocre ftp game over a good p2p game any day.

No it isn't. You still have the 60$ barrier to entry.

animehermit:

It's essentially free to play.

Hell, the only reason I don't play TOR is because of the ridiculousness of a $60 price tag AND a sub fee. If they went free to play and kept the $60 price tag, I would gladly play the game.

A lot of people seem to think 1.3 million means 'dying'. If they continue to decay subs at this rate they'll die, but 1.3 million is still very strong for an MMO.

Hopefully they'll merge servers soon. I suspect the bleed won't stop until they do.

kortin:

animehermit:

Hell, the only reason I don't play TOR is because of the ridiculousness of a $60 price tag AND a sub fee. If they went free to play and kept the $60 price tag, I would play the game.

It's not free to play, calling it that is entirely misleading. Free to play implies that you can play the game with no cost to yourself. This is not the case.

It will be free-to-play within the year, I garentee it.

You just can't do subscription base MMO's anymore. People don't want to spend 90 dollars a year to play a single game when their are so many cheaper alternatives, ones that actually have more active combat than "click hotkey for auto attack on selected enemy." WoW won't be killed by a single MMO coming to meet the challenge in an epic clash of MMOs, it will die as a whimper, with the player base slowly shrinking to nothing.

kortin:

animehermit:

Hell, the only reason I don't play TOR is because of the ridiculousness of a $60 price tag AND a sub fee. If they went free to play and kept the $60 price tag, I would gladly play the game.

How about, "non-MMO priced MMO," since every other game that isn't a MMO is that price or less, and nobody calls that free to play.

Bahahahahaha. Bad news for EA always makes me smile :)

the game is basically like playing a crappier version of kotor, but with co-op. witch is good.
but you'll play once then you'll move on... like kotor.

as a mmorpg its lame. there's really no need for the massive multiplayer aspect. actually all it does is give away who your companions will be. so the only thing having millions of other people running around adds is story spoiler's and immersion breaks.

I know WoW has established what a mmorpg is, but honestly I think ultama-online way back in the day was the only mmorpg to do anything with having millions of people on a game.

the level of freedom and reliance on people to populate the world led to a lot of emergent fun.

now all mmorpgs seem to try and focus on the "oooo.. piece of candy" addiction elements. witch just don't seem to work on me.

LiquidGrape:

The game isn't a failure, as much as some would like to claim it is.

It's not a smashing success either, which it needed to be if it were to make any profits on its gargantuan development costs.

animehermit:

Lunar Templar:
snip

A lot of what you're saying is based on false assumptions.

First, let me point out that when you shoot someone with a rocket, if they are a "normal" class enemy they will fall down and be stunned momentarily.

not really 'false' so much as not remembering. but i spent most my time as a Sith Warrior so that might have something to do with it to.

(and I'll take my Brutes over my Sith Warrior any day)

Second, the combat from what I've experienced is very kinetic in it's abilities, they feel right and it really feels like my attacks are connecting and doing damage to my enemies. I've played CoH and the combat is REALLY floaty, it's like none of your attacks are connecting, and the movement doesn't help either, you have less control over your character and I feel that it's less fun that way.

*shrugs* i like how CoH dose it more. just feels better to me

Third, the story. I really don't see your complaints at all. In the first 10 levels of TOR, I fought to control an uprising from a dangerous native population. Eventually outing a fallen jedi and reforming him to the light side of the force. At the same time I restored peace between the Jedi order and a group of Twi'leks who settled on Tython. By level 20 I had traveled to Coruscant and had to hunt down plans for a Republic siege weapon, only to discover a sinister plot by the sith. By level 32 I had to fight to save Tython as it was going to be destroyed by the same weapons I was trying to keep the Empire from obtaining.

;) oh ... your republic ... your argument is now invalid /joke

never could get into the republic stuff, wasn't really that interesting to me, though, i can't seem to make my self care enough to finish act 1 on my rerolled warrior, let alone start act 2 on the server i left.
where as i have >.> *logs into CoH real quick to confirm* 25 characters on one server, with an average lvl of 20. sorta speaks greater volumes that I'm willing to repeat a lot of content that many times in one game, but i can't even force my self to care about content for characters i've never played, or only done once before.

course that only compared to ONE of the MMO's i play.
though compared to the other two, ToR wins on story, shallow as it is, but loses HORRIBLY on combat

but over all, i've figured out, ToR is not for me, my prior post was based on my time with it and what i ended up leaving it with. which, was not a favorable opinion of it, and the legacy system is no inspiration to return after having a look at it.

Woodsey:

Capitano Segnaposto:

It has become a habit, regardless I don't see why it needs to be pointed out.

animehermit:

kortin:

animehermit:

Hell, the only reason I don't play TOR is because of the ridiculousness of a $60 price tag AND a sub fee. If they went free to play and kept the $60 price tag, I would play the game.

It's not free to play, calling it that is entirely misleading. Free to play implies that you can play the game with no cost to yourself. This is not the case.

Indeed. It's like calling Portal 2 'Free to play'. I highly doubt anyone would ever claim that's the case.

Not G. Ivingname:

How about, "non-MMO priced MMO," since every other game that isn't a MMO is that price or less, and nobody calls that free to play.

How about just 'subscription-based MMO' like all the rest? Amazon.co.uk has TOR new for 22, which is just about what I paid for WoW and each expansion pack (18-25 area). Initial buying price differs from place to place.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Woodsey:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Because chronic masturbation has left me with wanker's claw, and having to scroll down the page any more than necessary is a pain.

Woodsey:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Woodsey:

Because chronic masturbation has left me with wanker's claw, and having to scroll down the page any more than necessary is a pain.

That... is quite frankly disturbing. You may want to check in with a doctor if that persists.

Amnestic:

Not G. Ivingname:

How about just 'subscription-based MMO' like all the rest? Amazon.co.uk has TOR new for 22, which is just about what I paid for WoW and each expansion pack (18-25 area). Initial buying price differs from place to place.

TOR? I thought the other person was talking about the pricing of Guild Wars 2.

Edit: Yes, I looked how that line of converstation was about GW2, not TOR, which has a $60 price tag and no subscription fees.

Filiecs:

TOR was probably the last great beast of that line.

I'd wait till' we see how The Secret World turns out before you jump to THAT conclusion...

I've heard from multiple sources that it was terrible.

I realize how negative and blunt that sounded, so here's a picture of a cat doing people things.

It was funny to me when half a dozen of my wow playing friends left to play TOR. I did not partly because of how invested I was in WoW and because my computer simply couldn't run it. it wasn't a loss to me, I love wow.

Within a month, every last one of them was back to playing WoW. and I had a month's worth of better gear then them :P

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

Not G. Ivingname:

TOR? I thought the other person was talking about the pricing of Guild Wars 2.

Edit: Yes, I looked how that line of converstation was about GW2, not TOR, which has a $60 price tag and no subscription fees.

Bah, that's what I get for not paying attention. ;p

Guild Wars has always been slightly more expensive to help offset the lack of subscription fees. I still say that giving it some sort of special title (excepting 'non-subscription based MMO') because it has a higher price tag at release is silly.

animehermit:
I have no interest in debating someone who talks nonsense and seems to make up facts to support their claim. Good day.

That's nice. I especially like the derisive and obnoxious way you present your points, it's far far worse than anything I did and dips nicely into flaming. Go ahead, be the big man who yells at people from a computer seat, bro.

I'll be right here when the game ends up outselling TOR by a mile and you're busy throwing fits about it being "so inferior" to your baby. At least I am willing to admit that the game I enjoy has flaws (mostly in the balance department right now, as PvE events need some serious tinkering), you're busy trying to explain away a 400k drop in membership as everyone just not understanding the BRILLIANCE of your favorite game. Sorry, but in this case I think I'd rather believe that the market has a reason for abandoning the game, it makes a little bit more sense than an approach akin to "no one UNDERSTANDS TOR, that's why it's doing badly". :P

You started the mindless flailing about which game was better, not me, sir. I know you like TOR better, and I think TOR is garbage that was shoved out of Bioware's darkest and naughtiest places in a sad attempt to capitalize on everyone's desire for a new KOTOR game. It doesn't really matter which is correct in the long run though, since the only thing that ends up mattering is the money. And TOR is now making significantly less of it per month than it was slated to. While you're free to ignore this fact, Bioware had better take notice of it.

Pandabearparade:
A lot of people seem to think 1.3 million means 'dying'. If they continue to decay subs at this rate they'll die, but 1.3 million is still very strong for an MMO.

Hopefully they'll merge servers soon. I suspect the bleed won't stop until they do.

Except that they have to keep drawing in money to make up for the massive costs of the game development. Which it's not. And don't think they just have to make up for the development costs. There's also maintenance, customer service and help, continuous patching of faults by hackers etc.

Chaos Marine:
[snip.

Dragon age 2 was one game...I havtn played it but it seems it was somthing of a rush job..not saying its ok but it was one game

Mass efffect 3....the ending hurt at the time but it doesnt kill the rest of the game, mabye it will be fixed mabye it won't

hazabaza1:
So I wonder when it'll go F2P.

Few months.

Once it does I'll download it and see what all the fuss was about.

Chaos Marine:

Pandabearparade:

Except that they have to keep drawing in money to make up for the massive costs of the game development. Which it's not. And don't think they just have to make up for the development costs. There's also maintenance, customer service and help, continuous patching of faults by hackers etc.

They've stated before they can break even with as little as 500k subscribers over time and they'd make money at 1 mil. The problem they have right now is that they were plannin on upwards of 2 million constant subscribers. They don't need that many, but that is what they told investors and what they expected to see. With only 1.4 they're not in danger of never makin money, but they're definitly in danger of not meetin expectations and EA doin drastic things.

We'll see next report when they add in the overseas numbers. If they gain more than they lose then ToR will keep right on chuggin along. If they don't, expect to see some form of microstransactions shoehorned in WoW style.

Thisis to be expected. All mmos have a large spike in their begining as people are trying it out and will drop once the testers leave and only those willing to play for a whiel stays. Whether will will rise or fall after that is what really determines the games future. With a franchise like Star Wars its no wonder the initial spike was large.

EVE scratches different itches, and has had a steady subscriber base for a long time. Planetside scratched a different itch, but sadly died. Hopefully Sony will impress with Planetside Next and CCP will impress with Dust 514. From what I've seen of gameplay footage, Tera has a decidedly different gameplay mechanic behind it.

Well from what i coudl gather DUST 514 will not be as good as CCP want because of PS3 limitations in memory rendering (only 1 type of planets, other cuts). Then again, dust and eve gameplay isnt very compatable (Excel with graphics and FPS are going for two different audiences) and therefore likely wont steal players form eachother, much. Still if CCP suceeds it will be the first ever sucesful cross-platform universe. Other tried but backed out, so CCP is the only one racing now.

Valis88:

LongMuckDong:

Valis88:
Ya know what's really upsetting sometimes.

When you really love playing an MMO, and you know it's not perfect, but you love it for what it is, and you have fun.

Yet all of the General boards, of that very game, are people cheering for it's doom.

It's unsettling, and disquieting, to say the least.

Captcha 'foul smelling'...indeed

You, sir, have summed up my feelings 100%.

I am a pretty big Star Wars fan (read some books, love most of the films, Kotor'd it up multiple times - even own X-wing) and a newb to the MMO scene (did 1 week of Guild Wars prior to SWTOR... true newbie status).

In terms of fun, I've had bucket loads - brilliant story, great guild, awesome gear.. loving it. So when I read doomsayer994 saying 'the end is nigh' over and over again, it kind of makes me think bad thoughts.

I'm not sure what type of bad thoughts, just a bit of a downer to be honest. Even with 1,000,000 ongoing subs - if they merge some servers ASAP (for the 'ghost server' peeps - that must suck!) and keep releasing content and new PvP stuff, we'll be just fine.

I'm off to keep on playing, good times people - with a whisky in my offhand (booze focus) and a razer naga in my right :).

Thanks. It's nice to hear from someone else, who enjoys the game.

I guess that makes two of us.

...do you have any extra whiskey on hand? I just finished reading the official boards. >_<

Jesus... that General Discussion should be called Normandy - death, nazis and mines as far as the eye can see.

I have a nice bottle of Laphroaig on hand, you sir, get a glass on the house.

Comando96:

hazabaza1:
So I wonder when it'll go F2P.

Few months.

Once it does I'll download it and see what all the fuss was about.

Fellow Codexer?

Absolutionis:
I'm at least happy Guild Wars 2 is not going to have much competition now. I was worried for a moment when EA shoved TOR out the door and spammed the gaming news with those awesome FMVs.

It might though, in the surprising form of an underdog - Tera.

I tried that game out for the open beta since TOR was boring me. I figured.. "What the hell, I'll give it a try, not like I have anything better to do."

By the end of that weekend, I had canceled my TOR account and per-purchased Tera.

PA said it best

Tera is the one that's fun to play.

shintakie10:

Those other MMOs that would kill to have 1.3 million subs? They have about 10 servers. ToR has upwards of 50.

Funny thing about this... My buddy and I figure that the number of servers is half the reason this game failed in our eyes. Sure they have 1.3 bajillion people playing... but it's all spread out so thin across so many servers that the worlds all feel empty and lifelessly dull for it.

It is a shame that this game is ebbing a bit, I thoroughly enjoy it, and find the aspect of story based levelling a nice feature. The problem I know many players have with it is it was too easy to get to max level, and then have little to do. Maybe a lesson to be learned by Bioware there, people will push hard to max out.

I dont have the time to rush for the finish line in any game I get, I want to ease back and enjoy the journey, to experience as much of the scenery as possible, and I guess for a MMO you just cant please everyone all of the time.

It does suck however when after a week away with work, you log in to find your guild has imploded and your only true friend is a monstrous shadow assasin that wants to eat you.

Still I will stick with the game, as I really enjoy it . Guild Wars 2 though does look tempting .... hmmmmm

Draconalis:
PA said it best

Tera is the one that's fun to play.

Uh....I wager that either PA has very different tastes or that they haven't played Guild Wars 2 at all, because I find it plenty fun to play. Challenging, yes. Frustrating at times, definitely. But still a total blast to play, and a breath of fresh air in a genre that had been growing very stale for me.

But then, I would probably find Tera fun to play too. But I'm sort of abstaining from touching it since they were sued for stealing character models from NCSoft (the owners of the studio that makes GW2), and their game happens to feature loli catgirls with visible panties (especially while running) as playable characters. So a bit of a negative stigma coming from that game that makes me personally refrain from purchase.

Not buying the "she told me she was 300 years old, officer, and I believed her!" excuse on that second point, either. It does look like a halfway decent game, but the fact that it felt the need to appeal to the furry/loli crowds sort of puts me off of the experience personally. I know it's shallow and that I'm probably going to end up missing out, but I'm not sure I can adequately enjoy a game which seems a bit too interested in showing me what a little girl's panties look like. If I was so interested in looking at panties, I already have the internet for that. >_>

CriticKitten:
snip

To be fair... for the american release, the little girls were made to wear more clothing, and now sport short shorts rather than panties.

That being said... there's a reason my guild has Elin players as KoS.

We aren't fans of pedophiles.

Frankly though, I'm not here to convince you. To each their own.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here