Pachter: Dragon Age III Pushed Back Due To The Old Republic

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Well...my first thought was "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--WHY?!" because I loved DA:O (Haven't played the second one). But after reading the comments, I'm actually glad they did. it's true, if taking longer with a game means it will be awesome, then take as long as you want, guys.

...I still need to finish Origins and II anyway...

lacktheknack:

Blind Sight:

satsugaikaze:
Uh, Command and Conquer: Generals 2, anyone?

Another 2013 Bioware title. Probably a much more likely candidate given it's not a Bioware mainstay series.

The main Bioware studio isn't actually developing it, EA just renamed a development studio 'Bioware Victory' and got them working on it. It's just brand recognition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare_Victory

Oh God, you're right.

EA are tricky bastards, they know that Bioware's probably their most 'respected' (for lack of a better word) developer and are milking their name with whatever they've got. Plus, announcing that a Bioware studio is developing an RTS game makes the headlines write themselves. It's quite clever in a very dastardy way, you've got brand recognition and marketing generated by the general oddness of it.

Blind Sight:

lacktheknack:

Blind Sight:

The main Bioware studio isn't actually developing it, EA just renamed a development studio 'Bioware Victory' and got them working on it. It's just brand recognition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare_Victory

Oh God, you're right.

EA are tricky bastards, they know that Bioware's probably their most 'respected' (for lack of a better word) developer and are milking their name with whatever they've got. Plus, announcing that a Bioware studio is developing an RTS game makes the headlines write themselves. It's quite clever in a very dastardy way, you've got brand recognition and marketing generated by the general oddness of it.

I love how they actually call it "Bioware Victory".

But I'm not going to join the "EA Is Dastardly" conga line on this issue quite yet. If C&C:G2 turns out to be bad, then I'll join, but maybe they'll shove out a good title with non-draconian security.

Another reason I hate MMO's. They push back all of my single-player rpgs. D:

I was under the impression that TOR came out of the Austin studio and that Mass Effect and Dragon Age both come out of the Montreal studio with some pre and post production assistance from Edmonton. I'm sure there's a lot you can do over video conferencing but the extra time it would take would be prohibitive unless it was purely short term (maybe a month or possibly 3 at the most). If anything it would make more sense for some of the DA team being re-assigned to help with the ME3 DLC. I guess they could be sent to the US for the short term for TOR but the relocation costs would again be more than ideal.

If there has been a team re-assignment I think it more likely that it's members of the DA team being pushed into development of Jade Empire 2 (my pick for this year's VGA announcement)but honestly I have no issue with DA3 being in slow development because it'll give the writers some time to perfect what they want to do and allow for more changes to make the game better.

CrossLOPER:

Quiet Stranger:
And now I'm going to ask, Star Child?

The Star Child, having never been mentioned in the series, appeared at the very end of Mass Effect 3 depicted as the specter of the child that Shepard watched die on Earth at the beginning of the game, cosmicly transparent hoodie and all. He showed Commander Shepard how to use the Ending-tron v3000.1 after giving a very weak explanation as to why he has been murdering trillions for the past hundreds of thousands of years and why he has decided to let Shepard decide what to do.

I have to be honest, I DO NOT GIVE A SHIT about the entire controversy and I think that Mass Effect and Bioware are both horribly overrated, but having watched someone stream the ending, I can tell you that it felt as awkward and rushed as you could possible imagine. Painkiller had a more coherent storyline.

...and yet, in the Dragon Age universe, you potentially have the Old God Baby spawned when Morrigan shagged a Grey Warden on the eve of the final battle. In so doing she may have conceived an infant with the soul of the dragon god Urthemiel. So, if a mysterious all-powerful child does turn up in part 3 it could quite consistent with the canon.

Damn you BioWare! You did the right plot twist, just in the wrong series!

Maybe they can make it a proper RPG with this extra time.

ThunderCavalier:
And BioWare's Dragon Age series is neglected for TOR, a MMO that already looks like it's gonna fail in doing what people said it was going to do.

... No offense, but I really, really hope TOR falls so BioWare can spend more time on Dragon Age and any new IPs.

Do you honestly think EA will keep Bioware around after a game that cost more to make than the Titanic flops?

DVS BSTrD:
No, DA2 pushed back DA3
Either that or their busy rewriting the ending to make it "safer" and editing out the dragon child.

i c wat u did thar...

Anyway, I don't care when it comes out, they'll always be games I want to play out there to pass the time. Just make sure that when it does come out, it's actually finished.

*reminisces about the olden days when i WOULD'VE GIVEN A F***!!!* D:

edit: captcha "describe this with any words in your mind"

: "annoying"

Elmoth:
Maybe they can make it a proper RPG with this extra time.

They have only pushed it back not given an indefinite amount of time to come up with stuff , they are only men not gods.

I'm fine with a delay. DA2 had potential, but they didn't connect it enough to the first game, so it couldn't stand as a sequel, and it was not good enough to really stand on its own.

As for ME3, I enjoyed 99.9% of the game. The ending was lame, and the added cutscenes they plan to add will not help.

Bioware has been slipping a bit. I'm not blind to that. But I can still say that I have yet to see a bad game from them.

DA2 had been an unequivocal improvement on Origins had they been granted another year of development.
As it turns out, it was a diamond in the rough with vastly more latent ambition and potential than its predecessor.

I'm very optimistic with regards to DA3.

Gather:

Don't make fun of the setting; it's a brilliant setting... Just poorly written and designed.

I've got no hate for the setting, just DA2's implementation. I even thought the writing was pretty good, just crippled by lack of resources.

animehermit:
I don't think this will happen. Bioware's pretty good at responding to criticism, especially when it comes to something this plainly obvious.

Well, I certainly hope so (I'd love a new DA with a broader scope). But if (if) this news is true, and from what we saw with DA2, DA is bottom of the heap for Bioware, so there's a big difference between what the people working on it would like to do and they're given the resources to do.

I certainly don't think the initial design for DA2 involved the massive cut and paste it ended up with.

Dragon Age 2 had its rough parts, that's a given. Still, some parts of it were incredibly enjoyable. It also sets up nicely for the next installment -- if Bioware can make it as good as DA:O. I am all for waiting an extra year or two if it means a quality game. After the ME3 fiasco, though, I won't hold my breath. The EA overlords are doing a great job so far running this company into the ground.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here